Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-17, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
SW District does it right, Open draw; Cincy 1-31[5 sectionals]; Dayton 1-21.[3 sectionals]
Each District chooses how to assign teams, not the OHSAA for basketball.
Old 03-18-17, 07:59 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
SW District does it right, Open draw; Cincy 1-31[5 sectionals]; Dayton 1-21.[3 sectionals]
Each District chooses how to assign teams, not the OHSAA for basketball.
"Having it right" is your opinion.
Old 03-18-17, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Gives an opportunity for the 2 best teams in the region to meet in the regional final; it was even better when they had 10 sectionals, the 2 best teams in the Region could meet in the state final, which has happened.
Old 03-18-17, 08:30 PM
All Ohio

PGEMF is on a distinguished road
It's a crazy idea, but perhaps the OHSAA could determine how each district is setup and make it so the same number of teams are in each one
Old 03-18-17, 08:34 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Gives an opportunity for the 2 best teams in the region to meet in the regional final; it was even better when they had 10 sectionals, the 2 best teams in the Region could meet in the state final, which has happened.
I agree with you, but unfortunately not many up this way seem to understand how the benefits of such a format outweigh the drawbacks.
Old 03-18-17, 09:26 PM
All Region

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a 1-seed have the entire side of the bracket to themselves....especially in a 12 team district. Even if the 1 doesn't take a bye, you can be sure that 2 and 3 will go in the other half, and likely both take byes. I don't see a scenario where either 4 or 5 (or both) won't take the other 2 available byes....even if it means being in the half of the bracket with the 1 seed.
Happens all the time in SWO. In Cincinnati D3 there are 21 teams drawn into three half-districts: #1 and #2 staked their places in two of them (on opposite sides of the bracket so they wouldn't meet until the regional final) and #3 through #9 then took all seven spots in the third.
Old 03-19-17, 03:55 AM
Freshman

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why the OHSAA still uses the six districts to determine who plays where, Do it like football. Sixteen districts, all 12-13 teams. Use traditional brackets (5-12 winner plays 4,6-11...) Keep the voting system for seeding or, I wouldn't be against it, use a Harbin type system.
Old 03-19-17, 05:35 AM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
Be happy how it happens in Ohio. In Indiana the IHSAA does a does a blind draw for all the sectionals. So the 2 best teams could play in the 1 round game and 2 winless teams play in a round 1 game and the winners meet. They do this for football also. They put the names of the schools in a hat and pull out the names one by one and place on bracket. There is no regard for teams record.
Old 03-19-17, 03:54 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Must we preface every post with 'in my opinion'?
Old 03-19-17, 04:00 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsee54321 View Post
Be happy how it happens in Ohio. In Indiana the IHSAA does a does a blind draw for all the sectionals. So the 2 best teams could play in the 1 round game and 2 winless teams play in a round 1 game and the winners meet. They do this for football also. They put the names of the schools in a hat and pull out the names one by one and place on bracket. There is no regard for teams record.
Wow, that sounds like a goofball way of doing things. It makes the regular season pretty much meaningless, doesn't it?
Old 03-19-17, 07:54 PM
All World

3out2in
NEDAB can do things like this all they want but they are missing the big picture. Super districts/sectionals and stop using lousy venues (I'm talking mainly about Strongsville). Stop letting the codgers run things and lets get some forward thinking people in there.
Old 03-20-17, 12:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Must we preface every post with 'in my opinion'?
Well when you make a definitive statement as if that is it and the end, then yes, maybe it should be pointed out that that's an opinion and not a fact.
Old 03-20-17, 12:56 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
^^^ That's your opinion
Old 03-20-17, 03:02 PM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
NEDAB can do things like this all they want but they are missing the big picture. Super districts/sectionals and stop using lousy venues (I'm talking mainly about Strongsville). Stop letting the codgers run things and lets get some forward thinking people in there.
I'd like to see a 2-year experiment with super sectionals/districts and NCAA-style brackets, then evaluate. It's not going to eliminate blowouts, especially in the sectional finals, but the first-round games would generally be more competitive - I think.

NEDAB website claims the coaches wanted NCAA brackets.
Old 03-20-17, 10:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
^^^ That's your opinion
I see what you did there, and I like it. But I'd like to point out that even in my statement I used the word "maybe".
Old 03-21-17, 02:19 PM
All Region

NEOsportsfan09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post

NEDAB website claims the coaches wanted NCAA brackets.
Wish I knew the coaches they talked to about this. I talked to 12-15 coaches about this, and all of them said they didn't want this format. Especially in districts where one league makes up 60-70% of a district, an "outsider" can be better, but not get a top 4 seed because no one in that district has seen that team and league loyalty comes into play. A lot of them don't like sectionals being at better seed's home court either. They told me it just doesn't feel like the tournament starts until Districts now. Sectionals just feels like an extension to the regular season. A lot of them liked the strategy of the draw, and now you're going to have some voting collaborations to influence the voting since they know "if we get this seed, we play there, and we would most likely play..." or "I don't like where we would most likely be seeded. Bad second round matchup. I'm going to overseed/underseed them so we don't play them..."

I think this is a bad change. Wish there was a way they could have all games be neutral site with this NCAA format. You still can see bad blowouts in first and second round. 8-9, 7-10, 6-11, 5-12, & 4-13 may be more ugly than what there is now...
Old 03-21-17, 08:42 PM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
You're never going to "legislate" out blowouts in the early rounds unless you close the tournament, and the OHSAA is adamant that it will remain open.
I'm of the opinion, if you're going to "automate" the bracket go all the way. Someone earlier mentioned using a Harbin-like system to seed the teams; I'd also be in favor of a super sectional/district, although in reality that could make for some long trips.