Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Stizostedion
Summit County School Merger Talk

Anyone know how serious the talk is of Manchester Green and Coventry school systems merging?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-17, 12:49 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
didn't know there was talk.....I can see manchester and coventry combining but not sure Green would be in that mix? But I know nothing of this.
Old 03-13-17, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
No, none that im aware of. I for one know that Coventry will want to keep its new HS building. There have been some proposals being floated around by certain fringe groups advocating that Coventry cut its extensive OE and merge with Manchester into PLXHS (portage lakes high school), As our hs building would have space for that. But this fringe idea, I expect, will remain just that, a fringe idea. There is no serious discussion on this matter amongst anyone with authority in Coventry at least...We will be fine staying the course.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
no chance
Old 03-13-17, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Those 3 jointly participate in Portage Lakes Career Center (vocational school) along with Springfield, but a combined high just has too many moving parts and conflicting interests to succeed. I could imagine a Manchoventry High School, but I couldn't see Green in the mix without in looking like a hostile takeover as opposed to merger.
Old 03-13-17, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizostedion View Post
Anyone know how serious the talk is of Manchester Green and Coventry school systems merging?
Would it be a true 3-way merger, or would it be going from 3 to 2 with 1 of the 3 basically being dissolved?

Regardless, I don't see it.
Old 03-14-17, 02:48 PM
Varsity

Money Ball is on a distinguished road
NO way in Hell that Green wants anything to do with Manchester and Coventry. I could see Coventry and Manchester looking to combine Administrations to try and be more efficient with the use of money, but,.......WAIT A SECOND, this is a trick question, right?! Green wants nothing to do with Manchesterites and Coventry Comites. Total Culture Shock for Green people if this were to happen!

Now, I would believe that Green would try to combine with Lake or North Canton, but not wit hCoventry or Manchester.
Old 03-20-17, 02:07 PM
All American

TopCat is on a distinguished road
This sort of talk crops up every five years, or so; merge the three systems and call call it Portage Lakes Local Schools. I heard it when I was back in Akron this weekend, and it was just that, talk. From what I heard, this is primarily being put forward by people in the Coventry system who are upset with the the way those schools are being run. Manchester is run very well, despite voters continually turning down state and federal money to build new schools. Green is also operating smoothly. The only time this reached any sort of serious stage was in the mid-80's. At that point representatives of all three districts, as well as township reps got together to discuss various merger plans. There was a plan on the table at one point to merge Franklin, Green, and Coventry Townships to prevent further annexation from Barberton, Norton, and Akron. The city would've been called Portage Lakes, and the idea of merging the schools was also discussed. Obviously, it never came to fruition, with Green and Franklin opting to go their own way with incorporation. My guess is that every few years talk of a merger will surface, but I doubt unless something drastic happens it'll just remain in the discussion stage.