Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 01:15 PM
All District

Madmex64 is on a distinguished road
Official Madmex64 OAC 2017 D4 Report

First and foremost I want to take a quick second to give a shout out to all the people who my son and I have met while we have walked along this journey in the wrestling world. Some of our best friends have grown out of this circle and I truly am grateful to have such amazing people with character, passion, and commitment to something that requires such an extreme dedication too! Additionally, the support I have received from everybody who I have encountered about my report has been through the roof! When I put out my inaugural report last year I really just had intentions of providing some insight backed by statistics and observations into our OAC conversations. However, once I was finished I was very proud of the information that I had been able to accumulate and I really was blown away from the support that known and unknown members of the Ohio wrestling world provided to me about my wrestling report. My son has grown to a spot where we almost exclusively wrestling nothing but state and national level tournaments and I have been able to forge some great connections, land some prestigious coaching opportunities and be able to watch the majority of the upcoming studs in person. I do everything in my power to provide a non-biased and statistically backed viewpoint of who I think will reach the semifinals and from there I use my intuition to try and accurately predict finalists and state champs. I strongly encourage anybody who reads this report to understand that I do not do this report to disrespect or critize anybody’s wrestler and I do not write this report for any personal gain or notoriety. I know it is cliché but I truly believe that all of these kids are warriors just for getting to this point in the season as there are literally thousands of youth wrestlers that competed this year and did not make it to the final 32 in such a deeply talented wrestler state like Ohio. Something new for this year is my overall strength rating of each bracket. As stated before, there are no easy roads to an OAC state championship and all titles deserve respect; however, with that said, some roads to glory are more difficult than others and starting this year I am going to include a strength of bracket (SOB) rating to reflect on what I feel is the overall depth of talent and accomplishments buried inside each bracket. Additionally, I do not do a report on D1 wrestlers as I truly feel like those wrestlers have not had enough experience yet to warrant any predictions or pressure being applied to them. However, with the help of my trusted connections at that level I will provide some names of kids to watch out for. My report this year will include a section on D2, D3, & D4. Because my son happens to wrestle in D4, that division tends to get a little more information provided on it as that is the division that I am most interactive with. Without any further delays let’s get into this years “Madmex’s OAC Grade School Report” with a peek into Division 4!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 01:16 PM
All District

Strength of Bracket Key:

*****  5 stars, only reserved for the top tier brackets. Brackets marked with 5 stars contain multiple state champs and are littered with former state placers. This level of a bracket will have former state placers who do not make the podium due to the overall competition and talent inside the bracket. Roughly only 10% of all OAC brackets qualify for this rating.

****  4 stars, still considered to be a top tier bracket that could contain at least two former state champs and have multiple former state placers. The difference between a 4 star and a 5 star bracket would be the depth in the 3 and 4 seeds that are seen in the first round. Roughly 35% of OAC brackets fall into this category.

***  3 stars, considered to be a middle of the road bracket in terms of overall talent and depth. Could have a former state champ embed within it but most likely does not contain multiple state champs. This type of bracket usually starts to be a little top heavy with the talent but still some quality kids in the overall depth. Some of the 3 and 4 seeds in the opening pods are seen as novice wrestlers to the state tournament. Roughly 25% of OAC brackets fall into this category.

**  2 stars, considered to be slightly below average in overall talent and depth. This category of bracket usually has one clear favorite at the top and only a handful of kids that can challenge him. After the top 3-6 wrestlers there is a significant drop off in depth and talent. State placers are limited and almost all 3 and 4 seeds are novice or middle of the road wrestlers. Roughly 20% of OAC brackets fall into this range.

*  1 star, considered to be the easiest brackets at OAC. Typically do not contain any former state champs and only a few former state placers. This bracket usually is not a full 32 man bracket and sometimes the heavier weights that have fewer contestants fall into this category. Roughly 10% of OAC brackets fall into this rating.
Old 03-20-17, 01:16 PM
All District

Division 4 Brackets:

SOB Rating: ***

Favorites: Caizzo, Yarbrough,

Potential Placers: Limbert, Joy, Simms, Havens, Campbell, Mattin, Ohi, Quinter, Hagan

Sleeper: Pennekamp

In the top quarter of this bracket you get the overall #1 seed, “Caps” Caizzo. Caizzo is no stranger to this position as it will be his third time manning the top overall seed in his bracket at OAC. Caizzo has been a little less active on the state and national scene this year but again no stranger to have massive post season expectations on his shoulders. Caizzo should run into a second round matchup with another veteran of the OAC circuit, Jaxon Joy. Joy is a solid wrestler but I don’t foresee any upset here as I project Caizzo into the quarterfinals. In this quarterfinal matchup I will project the winner of the potential Burkhart/Simms matchup to be waiting for Caizzo. Again. I will take the chalk approach as Caizzo’s history at OAC is too strong to ignore. I will place Caizzo into the first semifinalist spot in this bracket.

In the second quarter bracket you have a handful of talented wrestlers that all will make a push to land the second spot in the semifinals vs Caizzo. When I lay out this quarter bracket I foresee two wrestlers to be on a collision course in the quarterfinals. Havens and Pennekamp. Both of these wrestlers have had fine seasons and I have had the privilege of watching them up close. Havens is an aggressive shooter who has a high motor and a great ability to scramble. Pennekamp is a strong kid at this weight class who has a sense of when to hit big moves to turn the tide in close matches. I see a great OAC worthy battle but in the end I think Havens has just enough in his tank to secure a late 3rd period score to seal the deal and move into the semifinals to join one of his longtime rivals at OAC, Caizzo. In this first semifinal matchup we get two studs who are no strangers to each other. They have locked horns multiple times at this grind of a tournament and usually the victor has gone on to placing very high on the podium. Havens has picked up some very valuable Jr high experience in the closing parts of this season. Caizzo has chosen to take the closed door training pathway. At the end of the day I will take Caizzo and his proven track record against Havens to secure a possible OT victory to secure his place in yet another OAC finals showdown.

In the third quarter bracket you have some names that are familiar with people who compete on the state circuit. The top seed (#3 overall) is found here, TW district champ Elijah Campbell. Campbell has a track record of having success in this tournament and I don’t see that trend changing anytime soon. I believe he will be pushed and challenged heavily by the talented Mattin from Delta in the second round but I will take Campbell and his size and strength to survive this challenge and move into the quarterfinals. The next pod of wrestlers is a pod that could see any of the higher seeds make it out to challenge Campbell. I will take the chalk pick and project district champ Quinter to reach the quarters and take on the higher seed Campbell. Here I see Campbell using his experience to be the distinguishing factor and scoring a comfortable win to move into the third slot in the semifinals.

In the bottom quarter of this bracket you have the most talented wrestler in this entire bracket, Javaan Yarbrough. He is following very nicely in the footsteps of his older brother Marlon, who is now a straight Beast on the Jr high circuit. Javaan displays the same explosion and toughness that his older brother does and I don’t see anybody presenting a formidable challenge to him through the first two rounds. In the quarters he will probably see the chalk opponent, district champ Hagan waiting for him but even with Hagan’s credentials he will most likely not be able to fully contend with the uber-athletic Yarbrough. I will take Yarbrough with a bonus points win to move into the 4th and final semifinals slot in this bracket. In the bottom semifinals, I believe that Campbell will try and use his size and slow the tempo of the match down to his advantage. It will potentially work for the first few minutes of the match; however, the explosion and athleticism of Yarbrough will be very hard to contain for an entire 4.5 minutes of an OAC match. I look for Yarbrough to score multiple points in the 3rd period to pull away from the formidable Campbell.

In the finals, I predict that Caizzo will be able to dictate the tempo and will use his strength and positioning to his advantage early. Caizzo is a very crafty and skilled wrestler and has a way of frustrating his opponents with his workman’s like approach to tough matches. This approach will be successful but I have seen the athleticism of Yarbrough find a way to save the day late in matches. It is absolutely a toss up to who should win this match on paper but I have to choose one; I will take Yarbrough in a late scramble to score a winning take down to secure a 1-2 point victory to secure an OAC title!

SOB Rating: ****

Favorites: Campbell, Earnest

Potential Placers: King, Herman, Rhoads, Bennett, Miller, Battles, Hustler, Bein, O’Brien, Cottrell, Reyes, Medina, Ayoub

Sleeper: Hendricks
In the top quarter bracket, you have the overall #1 seed Campbell. Campbell is a former OAC state champ who has really taken his game to the next level by competing in a handful of Jr. High competition this season, capped by his third place finish last weekend in the loaded 74 lb Jr. High bracket. Campbell is one of the most athletic and strong wrestlers (pound for pound) on display at OAC this season. He is a tremendous soccer player as well and his conditioning is top-notch. I believe that he will survive by a comfortable margin from a second round challenge potentially by King. Marching towards the first quarterfinals matchup with Campbell with be the talented and experienced Hendricks. Hendricks comes from a seasoned wrestling family and has a nice combination of skill, experience, and bloodline. I believe that Hendricks will move past any challenges posed to him in the first two rounds. This quarterfinals matchup between Campbell and Hendricks will be a doozy! In my estimation, Campbell is the more well-rounded and talented wrestler; however, Hendricks has a knack for hitting some big 4-5 point moves at crucial points in matches. I believe Hendricks makes it interesting and pushes the top seed into the third period but I do look for Campbell’s conditioning and clean technique to show up and secure the win for him as he slides into the first slot of the semifinals in this bracket.

In the second quarter of the bracket, the clear favorite will be Christopher Earnest.
Earnest comes from a great wrestling family from Wadsworth with his older brother just placing at the OHSAA tournament. Earnest has a great combination of skill and experience and he will be one wrestler in this bracket to really keep an eye on. Herman will present a true challenge to Earnest in the second round and I hate to see this matchup happening so early in the bracket but hey that’s the way the seeds fell. Herman will keep the match very competitive and I see him having the potential to pull the upset here, however, the official pick is to have Earnest survive and moving into the quarters to take on Rhoads. Again, any district champ is formidable and I think the match will be competitive; however, Earnest should be able to use his experience to survive and navigate this quarterfinals matchup to secure a spot in the semifinals showdown with Campbell. It is of my opinion that the winner of the Campbell/Earnest semifinals will eventually be crowned OAC state champ in this bracket. I could literally flip a coin and have an accurate predictor of this matchup. Campbell is a great wrestler on his feet as well as Earnest. Both are very aggressive and have the ability to scramble for days. I believe that Earnest will be a hair bigger and in the end I think this size advantage will be used to keep the match close’ however with Campbell’s showing at Jr High this past weekend I will call for him to survive the very tough Earnest to move into the state finals.

In the bottom half of this bracket is where you will encounter the #3 overall seed, Bennett. Bennett is an experienced OAC wrestler with having a title of his own in previous seasons. I believe that he will take a legit challenge in the second round from the winner of the Miller/Battles matchup. I think Battles gets the nod and pushes Bennett but I will officially score Bennett as the winner as he moves on the quarterfinals. Waiting for him will most likely be the winner of Bein/Hustler matchup. Both of these wrestlers have OAC experience under their belt so again we are in a coin flip scenario here. I will take the slightly more accomplished Hustler to arrive in the quarters and take on Bennett. Bennett will use his nice combination of technique and experience to secure a decently comfortable win over Hustler and slide into the 3rd semifinals slot of this bracket.

In the bottom quarter of the bracket I see a handful of worthy wrestlers who all could potentially make a run and do some damage in this bracket. One of the most interesting first round matchups in the bracket is the Reyes/Cottrell matchup. Reyes is a grinder who has been working hard to improve his strength and experience factors. Cottrell is a freakish athlete who is starting to turn his technique from an area of weakness into a strength. I think the matchup will go the distance and even potentially OT but I will take Reyes to survive a barn burner. Reyes will take on most likely O’Brien in the second round and again this match will be an intense one but I will take Reyes to survive gain and move to the quarterfinals. In the bottom pod you have returning state finalist Ayoub for Miron. I think he will use his size and leverage to fend off challenges from Nelson or Medina in the second round to secure his spot in the quarters against Reyes. Reyes vs Ayoub will be a great quarters matchup and again I can make a case for either of these studs to get the job done. At the end of the day The Madmex64 report puts a lot of stock in previous OAC results and again this time I will take the proven track record of Ayoub to secure a tight win over the scrappy Reyes. In the bottom semifinals you will get Bennett vs Ayoub. Both kids are great wrestlers and I couldn’t go wrong either way. I will take the length and leverage of Ayoub to carry him into the finals where he will take on Earnest.

In the finals, I predict that Ayoub will really try and slow the pace down of the match to help eliminate some of the offensive skill that Campbell has displayed many times. I believe this will work for the early portion of the matchup. However, I see Campbell scoring some key points in the 2nd & 3rd period to tilt the scales in his favor and I will crown Campbell the winner of this OAC bracket.
Old 03-20-17, 01:17 PM
All District

Favorites: Spencer,

Potential Placers: Stanley, Harney, Lambert, Segal, McBurney, Beadling, D’Alessandro, Paes, Mohanna, Goebel, Huck, Beadling

Sleeper: Carmella

In the top quarter you have one of the most decorated and deserving #1 seeds of the entire grade school tournament, Eli Spencer. Spencer has been on a tear highlighted by an undefeated 10-0 weekend at the VAC duals and here recently with a nice national win at the Penn State Open. Additionally. Spencer avenged his last second loss in the state finals against his main rival Patrick Reineke by becoming an OAC Jr high state champ last weekend by surviving a loaded 74 lb bracket. Spencer should walk through the first two challengers, most likely Stanley in the second round and Paes in the quarters. Spencer displays an ability to showcase an advanced chain wrestling offensive attack combined with a freakish set of strength and heart. Spencer will dominate while securing the first spot into the semifinals in this loaded bracket.

In the second quarter of the bracket you get what I perceive to be the toughest path of this bracket to the semifinals. The top seed in this quarter is Sterling Segal, returning OAC state champ from last year. Segal is one of the most up and coming wrestlers in the entire state and he displayed his potential by traveling out of state to compete in his first national tournaments this year highlighted by a very respectful 7-3 showing at VAC and a nice Pennway State title. Segal will encounter a tough match right away ion the second round facing the winner of Mohanna/Lambert. Mohanna has greatly increased his commitment and skillset this year and will be big for this weight class; however, he pulls a very skilled and accomplished wrestler in the first round, former OAC placer and current OH way state champ Lambert. I think Lambert will overcome the physicality of Mohanna and move on to challenge Segal. Segal beat Lambert last year for the OH way title and I think Lambert will wrestle with a chip on his shoulder but in the end I think Segal’s defensive will be too strong for Lambert to score the crucial points in the third and I will take Segal to survive into the quarterfinals. Waiting for Segal will most likely be another grizzly vet of the OAC circuit, Eugene Harney of Dehart Elite. Harney has had a fantastic year bagging national titles across the country this season while competing on the tough Midwest Wrestling circuit. Harney has a very unique and high energy wrestling style that can turn any match into a barn burner. I think that Harney/Segal will be one of the most competitive and entertaining matches of the entire GS tournament. Harney will try and make it up-tempo and a scramble feast while Segal will try and slow the match down to a grind and limit Harney’s ability to scramble. In the end I will take Segal to survive an OT battle and move on to lock horns with the bull of this bracket, Spencer in the top semifinals. The top semifinals match will be a rematch of a 6-5 match that these two partners put on display at the Nuway national duals when the two OH way teams had to wrestle each other. No doubt that Spencer is the more polished and chain wrestler of the two; however, Segal has worked very hard to close the gap with the decorated Spencer. I project that the same result will play out as the National duals matchup; Segal will slow the match down and have a lead for the majority of the match but in the end Spencer’s slew of offensive chain wrestling will be just enough to score a pivotal take down late and secure his movement into the state finals.

In the third quarter of this bracket you get an interesting mxi of talent and experience highlighted by the bullish Carmella and big McBurney. Carmella will have a tough opening match against another OAC vet, Goebel. However, Carmella has really hit his stride putting a nice display of toughness and strength on display at a multitude of tough events this season. I think Carmella eventually pulls away from Goebel and marches onto into the quarters after working his way moist likely threw Eppert from SW Ohio. Most likely waiting for Carmella in the quarters will be another wrestler who has had some success in this tournament McBurney. McBurney has great size for this bracket and he knows how to use that advantage to get him through tough matches. I project that McBurney will not truly be challenged in either of his opening matches and this places him into a showdown with Carmella. In this quarter’s matchup, the winner will most likely be the wrestler who can impose their physical brand of wresting on the other opponent. Both studs like to be the aggressor and the bull of the match so I can’t wait to see who potential owns the mat in this matchup. In a very close match, I will take Carmella to move into the third slot of the semifinals in this bracket.

In the bottom quarter, you have some tough wrestlers that are going to all make a run at a spot in the semifinals. The name that jumps out to me is the second seed D’Alessandro. I think he will face a stiff test in the second round by former state finalist Huck from the Chosen. Huck picked up some valuable experience this past weekend at the JR high tournament but I don’t think it will be enough to displace D’Alessandro. Most likely waiting for Vinnie in the quarters will be Cal Beadling. Beadling has some valuable OAC experience and has a nice combination of length and leverage. It will be an even matchup for the majority of the match but in the end I will take Vinnie to score some late 3rd period points to move into the 4th and final slot of the semifinals to take on Carmella. In this bottom semifinals I see Carmella being able to dominant and use his strength and experience to control the match. Vinnie will score, but Carmella will score more to move into the finals to secure a great finals matchup with Spencer!

In the finals, I predict that Carmella will come out like a fireball as he knows he has to try and break Spencer to beat him as Spencer is the more polished wrestler of the two. The problem is that Spencer is that kid that virtually can’t be broken. He has such a deadly combination of skill, strength, conditioning, and nasty streak that he is tough to find a chink in the armor on. I think Carmella scores and pushes this match into the 3rd period but coming off the heels of a Jr. High state title this past weekend, Spencer will hit another gear that Carmella won’t be able to match and Spencer will be crowned the champ pf this bracket!

SOB Rating: *****

Favorites: Williams, Kleinberg

Potential Placers: Libby, Medina, Alli, Langley, Homan, Christian, Ramsey, Kuhn, Hart, Vanest, Lowe Jr, Bowyer, Vanderhorst,

Sleeper: Vandyke

WOW, what a bracket! This bracket is dripping with talent from top to bottom! In the top quarter you get the well deserving and decorated #1 seed of this bracket Eric Williams. Williams is off a fantastic run at Jr high states last weekend that saw him place in a loaded 84 lb bracket. Williams is a very tough and physical wrestler who benefits from wrestling in and with PA teams throughout the season. He has a nice combination of skill from his feet and he imports that tough PA tough game as well. Oh, did I mention that he is physical as well? He pulls an experienced OAC kid out of the gate but Libby will not be able to standup to the physicality of Williams. Williams will most likely encounter another skilled wrestler in Medina from Edison in the second round. Again. Williams will be too much physical for the technical Medina and see the #1 seed moving into the quart finals relatively unchallenged. Waiting for him will most likely be the winner of the super tough first round matchup between Alli and Langley. Both studs have had a great year. Langley was runner up at OYWA this year and also snagged some big wins at Nuway national duals and a couple of belt tournaments this season. He is another kid that lives on the OH/PA border so his top game is ultra-strong! Alli got off a slow start this season but in the second half of the season he has regained his traditional tough Palmer form which was highlighted by his finals appearance at the Penn State Open. Alli is probably the better of the two kids on their feet but Langley will have the advantage on the mat. I look for a great match but I will take Langley to survive the hardnosed Alli and move into the quarters to take on the physical Williams. In that quarterfinals matchup you would be hard-pressed to find two tougher wrestlers! Williams will have a slight size advantage and has a slightly more advanced offense game. Langley is very skilled at counter scoring and his defensive is top notch. I see a last second or even potential OT match but I will take the #1 seed to survive a very physical match to move into the first semifinals slot.

In the second quarter of the bracket you get two more true threats to win this bracket, the very decorated Homan of BTW and Kleinberg of SW Ohio. Homan will have to clear the threat of Christian in the second round but I don’t see that being a problem as Homan has worked most of his kinks out as he transitions to D4 this year. He struggled a little at VAC earlier in the season but he has hit his championship stride in recent weeks. Homan is a very skilled and great chain wrestler. Waiting for Homan in the quarters will be Kleinberg. Kleinberg is a very natural wrestler who has a great understanding of positioning and hip control. He has great strength and a knack for being able to control close matches. I don’t see him having anybody problem cruising in the quarters to take on the skilled Homan. Homan has typically struggled with the strength and size of Kleinberg as he has never beat him before. Homan will put on a valiant effort but again I will take the physicality of Kleinberg to propel him into the semifinals to setup one of the best matchups of the whole tournament! This top semifinals matchup is a rematch of a very grueling and physical matchup that just played out last weekend at the Jr High state tournament. Williams was able to score the only points of the match and keep Kleinberg off the board in a tough 2-0 match. All signs points to Williams being able to do it again; however, I have seen up close and personal what a loss does to Kleinberg and he will enter this weekend’s match with a chip on his shoulder. No disrespect to the #1 seed as on paper he is the favorite; however, the official Madmex64 pick will be for Kleinberg to avenge the loss from last weekend in an OT thriller to move Kleinberg into his second career finals appearance at OAC!

In the third quarter of this bracket I see a handful of talented wrestlers who all could make a run at the semifinals spot. The top seed in this portion of the bracket is the OAC vet, Kuhn of BTW. Kuhn has already been a player at this tough tournament and this year will be no different. He has great size and length in this bracket and he will use it to his advantage. He will get a tough opponent in the second round of this quarter from Hart from Miron. Hart is a very scrappy and skilled wrestler who has really made a commitment to the sport in the last two years. He will take Kuhn to the wire but Kuhn will use his mat IQ and size advantage to secure a late score to move into the quarterfinals. Awaiting Kuhn will be most likely be the fireplug Vanest from Shamrock. Vanest is a very tough physical matchup as he is a short and stocky wrestler. He has placed at some tournaments this year and has benefitted from training in such a strong room as Shamrock. It will be a great match to match between the two contrasting body styles of Kuhn and Vanest go at it. Vanest will compete all day with Kuhn but in the end Kuhn is a savvy vet who will secure just enough points to move into the semifinals.

In the bottom quarter, there are a few studs that all could make a charge to face Kuhn in the semifinals but the moist talented kid down here is the #2 seed, Dy’Vaire “Boots” Vandyke. Vandyke is an elite athlete has displays a very tough combination of speed and explosiveness to deal with on his feet. I do not foresee him being threatened much at all in his first two matches as he moves into the quarterfinals. Most likely waiting for “Boots” will be the much improved and tough Vander horst of Dehart Elite. Vanderhorst comes from a wrestling family and he is starting to real the rewards of that bloodline and increased training regimen. Vanderhorst will be challenged in the first round by experienced OAC wrestler Bowyer from Mount Vernon but Vanderhorst will be too big and physical for the skilled Bowyer to keep up with. Lowe Jr will also push Vanderhorst with his experience and skillset but Vanderhorst has some big national wins this year that leads me to believe he will move into the quarters to take on Boots. On paper Boots should dominate this matchup but Vanderhorst has the right tool set to slow down the athletic and explosive Boots. Vanderhorst will have the lead at some point in this matchup but Boots will score a 3rd period takedown to secure him a very tight win and move into the semifinals to take on Kuhn. IN this bottom semifinals, Kuhn will try and slow the match down and use his length and size to open up scoring positions. Boots will do everything he can to push the temp and turn it into a shooting fest. Kuhn has the skills to win this one but I have seen the explosive capability of Boots too many times this season to count him out. I think Boots will score enough points to move past Kuhn to take on Kleinberg in the finals.

In the finals, you have such a clash of styles. Kleinberg loves to slow the match down and be very physical and loves mat wrestling. Boots loves to push the pace and turn the match in to a barn burner. Whoever, dictates the tempo and style of this match will score the state title. In a great match with many lead changes, I predict that Kleinberg will put the match on the mat enough to control and neutralize some of Boots scoring chances and secures a very close win to earn his first state bracket!
Old 03-20-17, 01:19 PM
All District

Favorites: Birden, Hermes

Potential Placers: Skinner, Humphrys, Giltz, Stump, Middleton, Brooks, Crevar, Vazsonyi, Keirn, Sowders, Camp, Montoya

Sleeper: Brown

Again, another loaded bracket! Loads of talent up and down this bracket but clearly highlighted by the #1 overall seed, the “Birdman” of Palmer. Birden has such a deadly combination of size, length, speed, skill, and toughness. He uses all of these talents to his advantage in most matches that he is in. He already has a wingspan that is greater than some grown men’s and when this is combined with his aggressive and physical style of wrestling it is hard to stop him as was displayed at his dominance at a loaded 40 man bracket at the Penn State Open that he dominated. Birdman will encounter a tough and gritty wrestler in the second round, Skinner from Shamrock. Skinner will not back down and is a very tough nosed wrestler but he just doesn’t have the physical skills to truly push the Birdman. The Birdman will encounter a skilled wrestler Humphrys in the quarters. Humphrys has had a fantastic year bouncing back to level that he has showed in the past. Humphrys has the size and strgeth to push Birden but in the end Birdman will score a convincing win and move into the semifinals.

In the second quarter of this bracket you will tough kids seeded all over the place. The highest seed in this portion of the bracket is the underrated Brooks from Mansfield SWAT. Brooks is a roller coaster of a wrestler. Meaning that he is a very inconsistent wrestler. If you catch him on a good day he is literally as tough and talented as any kid in this bracket and truly can win it. However, if he is having an off day he can also not wrestler up to his potential and lose to inferior talent. With this being his last crack at GS I think we will get the good Brooks and his length and toughness will be on full display. He runs into my sleeper pick of this bracket, the talented and skilled Brown. Brown also suffers from the roller coaster effect. If he sets his mind to it, he can beat anybody in the country. But if he checks out he will struggle with kids that have no business beating him. If both him and Brooks bring their A game in the second round, watch out as fireworks will be on display. I predict it will be a back and dofrth highs coring match but I will officially take the bigger and slightly stronger Brown to survive a potential OT battle to move onto the quarters. Waiting for Brown in the quarters will most likely be Giltz. Giltz has had some nice showings this year including OYWA and I think he will survive a second threat from OAC veteran Stump from the Chosen. Giltz will challenge Brown but if Brown brings his A game I think it will be too much for Gilzt to overcome and I will mark Brown down to advance into the first semifinals to take on the Birdman. In this first semifinals, it appears to be mismatch on paper. However, Brown is used to wrestling older and stronger kids from training with his older brother Gavin Brown and his crew. If Brown brings his a game he can literally threaten and potential beat Birdman; however, Birdman is the superior athlete and usually goes for the throat once he smells blood in the water. Brown will be physical and try and slow the match down but Birden will be able to score in the third period and secure his movement into the state finals.

In the third quarter of this bracket, the most decorated and highest seed had to medically default out last week due to s nasty high ankle sprain, Ryan Stowers from Dehart. The MadMex report sincerely wishes a speedy recovery to the former OAS state champ. The biggest beneficiary from this medical default will be Crevar. Crevar wrestled Birden tough at the TW district and he is a big 85 lber. Crevar should be able to get to the quarters unless there is a massive switching of seeds after OAC fills Stowers spot. Arriving to take on Crevar in the quarters will most likely be Glen Oak District champ, Joey Vazsonyi. Vazsonyi is an experienced wrestled in both OAC and OYWA and has proven to be a tough out this year. Him and Crevar looks like one of those coin flip matches but the official pick will be Crevar and his size to wear down on the lengthy Vazsonyi to push into the 3rd semifinal slot.

In the bottom quarter of this bracket you get some legitimate OAC resumes highlighted by the multiple time champ Max Hermes of Edison and 2 time OAC runner up Logan Montoya of Moeller. Very disappointed that this matchup takes place in the second round as it could be a great quarter’s match or even semifinals match. However, on paper the tank like Hermes will be the favorite with his explosive and physical style. Montoya has the pedigree and skill set to push and potentially even beat Hermes but depends on which Montoya shows up? Montoya has been up and down all year, as evidenced by his poor showing at the Penn State Open in contrast to his AAU nationals win in Tennessee. Hermes is the more consistent wrestler between the two and this consistency will probably prove to be the difference as Hermes rides out Montoya in the 3rd period to score a close win. Meeting Hermes in the quarters could be any of the three between Keirn, Sowders, and Camp. On Paper I project Camp to be the favorite to get there but Sowders has grown significantly in the last two years and Keirn has had some fantastic showing this year as well. I will take Keirn to survive two wars over Sowders and Camp to get to Hermes in the quarters. I believe Hermes will have his way with Keirn has the size but not necessarily the skillset to compete against Hermes. Hermes moves into the semifinals to take on the big and strong Crevar. In this bottom semifinals I believe Crevar’s size will be difficult to deal with for the first half of the match but Hermes is a very aggressor competitor and he will not back down at all. I think Hermes keeps attacking until a few late period opportunities expose themselves for Hermes to secure a 3-5 point win and move into the finals setting up a great rematch of the TW district finals against Birden.

In the finals, I think we will get one of the best matchups on paper when comparing these two studs and their OAC accomplishments. Birden is the favorite as he has the size and leverage components moving in his advantage. Hermes might be a slightly better mat wrestler and that will be where he wants this matchup to go however, Birden knows this and will take advantage of most of the time on their feet and will again secure a 2-4 point victory over Hermes to secure the 3rd OAC state title for the Birdman!

Favorites: Hughes, Hester, King

Potential Placers: Lee, Andel, Berner, Sell, Chance, Smith, Hoffarth, Thamann, Farley

Sleeper: Morency

In the top half you have the #1 seed Kaden King from BTW. King benefits from his strong showing last year in a tough 85.4 bracket where he placed on the young side. He has been solid all year long and he is a fairly big kid for this weight class. Combined with his training in the BTW room he will be a tough kid to overcome on his pathway to the quarters. I believe that him and Jack Lee from Miron will lock horns in the quarters and that will be a great matchup. King will have the size and age factor. I believe that Lee with have the quickness and technique advantage. I believe it will go down to the wire but I will lean on the age and experience of King to push him into the semifinals after surviving the formidable Lee.

In the second quarter of this bracket you find some talented wrestlers but none of them have a blue blood OAC pedigree. I believe that the most talented wrestler in this pod is Berner from Dehart. Berner has great length for this bracket and when he mentally brings some fire he can be a handful to deal with. I believe that he will make it the quarters after fending off a scrappy but at times overmatched Hunter Andel form Garrettsville. It’s a coin flip for as who will be the other quarter’s kid but I will officially go with Orahood to make a charge to get there and compete against Berner. I think Berner wins a close match but moves into the semifinals take on the #1 seed King. IN this semifinals match I look for King to use his size and pedigree to take advantage of Berner. Berner has the skills to win this matchup but I believe King will survive and move into the finals to compete for a state title.

In the third pod of this bracket I believe you get 2 of the 3 most talented wrestler sin the entire bracket, Hughes and Morency. I believe that these two are on a collision course with each other. Hughes has the deeper OAC resume being a multiple time OAC state champ while Morency highest finish is 3rd in this t9orunamnet two seasons ago. However, earlier in the season Morency did break through and score a close win over Hughes in a duals match. Morency went a solid 7-3 at VAC this year while Hughes was on fire going a perfect 10-0. Hughes is one of the best big match wrestlers we have seen in the last few years as evidenced by his upset over Kralick two years ago in the finals. Morency will fight his backside off and will score points and it will be dogfight, but the official pick is for Hughes to score a late reversal to bad a 1-2 point victory over the tough Morency to move into the third slot of the semifinals.

In the last pod of this bracket you encounter the other hammer in this bracket CJ Hester of Team Lindsey (Moeller). Hester is truly one of the best athletes in this entire tournament. His combination of size, strength, and explosiveness is unmatched din this bracket. He was worked his tail off to also close the technique gap that exists between him and Hughes and others. I think that Hester Marches into the quarters while fending off a formidable opponent in Farley form Foxfire. The older Farley has really grown over the last two years and will score on Hester but Hester has started to learn how to close out matches this season and I see no problem with him closing out that second round encounter. Waiting for Hester in the quarters will be the big and tough Connor Smith. Smith is a challenging opponent who can match Hester’s size and even out due in the experience category. The problem with Hester is his athleticism. I look for Hester to stay explosive late in the third period and score the winning points after the big Smith starts to slow down and potentially wear out. The bottom semifinals to me is the default championship match. Hughes and Hester had a dog fight last year with Hughes surviving 8-7 on a last second score that secured his victory. With my eyes I can see that Hester has even closed that gap even more this season and my head says I should take Hester as he is bigger and more explosive than Kam. However, the combination of knowing the type of schedule that Hughes wrestled this year as well as knowing his track record at this tournament the official pick will be Hughes in OT to one more time fight off the overthrow attempt by the beast Hester!

In the finals, I look for King to use his size to slow the match down and try and wear on Hughes and it will be an effective game plan initially. However, Hughes will win a few scrambles late in the second and third periods to secure a 4 point win to notch his second consecutive OAC state title!
Old 03-20-17, 01:19 PM
All District

Favorites: Griffith, Ginter

Potential Placers: Hermes, Thomas, Santoro, Mitchell, Supers, Tucholski, Seitz, Wenzel

Sleeper: Simcoe

In the top half you have the number one seed Ginter from BTW. Ginter has grown into a Beast on the national circuit marked by his team MVP performance down at the VAC duals for the Ohio Grey National Team. He has improved significantly on his feet but his top game has moved into an elite level and he now wrestles like a stud PA kid on top. He faces a potential second round matchup with one of his drilling and training partners Simcoe from Simcoe Wrestling. Simcoe is one of the most athletic and limber kids in this bracket and he comes from a great bloodline with his father being the head wrestling coach at Tiffin University. Simcoe is a great scrambler who possess the ability to ability to score on his feet efficiently as well. He literally might be the most flexible kid in the entire GS tournament this year which helps his defense. Simcoe will challenge and push Ginter to the brink but in the end I think Ginter’s top game will result in a key turn late in the third period that will push Ginter into the quarters. In the quarters Ginter will most likely face the winner of the Wenzel/Hermes matchup with Thomas also having a say in his opponent. Regardless of which of the three survive and advance to the quarters I think Ginter wins impressively and moves into the first slot of the semifinals of this bracket.

In the second pod of this bracket I believe that chalk will not survive with Mitchell of Miron going down in face of his seeding and skillset advantage to the much bigger Luke James. Mitchell comes from a very tough room at Miron’s and I believe this will ensure he challenges and scores on the bigger James and if Mitchell wins he has the size and skill to challenge Ginter in the semifinals. However, the official pick is to have James use his size advantage and win a close match over the tough Mitchell. In the semifinals, I have seen too much top pressure and success with turning kids form Ginter that I will take him to keep the chalk rolling and push himself into his first OAC finals appearance by scoring a late score to beat the big and tough James!

In the third pod of this bracket I see two kids with a bullseye on their backs, Supers and Tucholski. I believe that these two will survive any potential upset bids and they will march on to make a great quarter finals matchup in this third pod. In a close match I will take Super to advance and move into the third semifinal slot for this bracket.

In the bottom quarter of this bracket you find one of the most feared and decorated youth wrestlers in the entire state, Julien Griffith of Palmer. Big J has a unique ability to ride and turn kids like he wrestles for Cael Sanderson at Penn State already. Throw in an improved shot that has been on display more this year and you have the recipe for a 5th consecutive OAC state title! I believe Griffith will survive a potential quarter’s match with the Glen Oak district champ, Seitz handily and move him into the 4th and final semifinals slot in this bracket. IN this bottom semifinals match I see Supers as trying to slow the match down and he will but eventually he will have to go down and as they say, “Mitch Clark takes top” Griffith will put his deadly boots and turn on display and turn Supers to reach the finals again to compete for another state title.

In what will be one of the more entertaining state finals matches, Ginter vs Griffith will be a war. Griffith has always held the upper hand in this matchup but here recently Ginter has worked extremely hard to close the gap. Ginter will score more points than expected and he will wrestle with a ton of heart however, many have tried and few have succeeded in unseating the champ. I will go with Griffith and his pedigree and nasty streak to continue his dominance at OAC and secure his 5th OAC state title in a row, wow, what a stud!

Favorites: Neves, Neitenbach

Potential Placers: Campbell, Rogan, Dickerson, Conway, Doss, Berner, Untied, Stout

Sleeper: Cook

Wow, what a loaded bracket with multiple state champs in here! At the top we start with one of the most successful and hardnosed wrestlers in this entire tournament in Carter Neves. Neves is a multiple time OAC state champ how has comes up slightly short in the last two years and he is on a warpath to secure his status back amongst the greats of this sport. He passed on football this year to train all year for this tournament and he looks great coming down the stretch. I believe he is on a head on collision with last year’s OAC and this year’s OH way state champ Landon Campbell. Campbell is a great wrestler and he beat Neves last year when Neves was under the weather in this tournament so the match could go either way. However. They have already locked horns multiple times this year and Neves has been dominant in those matchups even with a pin so I look for chalk to walk in this pod and I will call for the aggressive Neves to roll into the semifinals with a chip on his shoulder.

In the second pod of this bracket you have one of the true hidden gems of this tournament this year, Landon Cook from Edison. Cook has been on a tear this season with great performances at VAC and Pennway this year while wrestling with an attitude and mindset of a Jr High kid. I think Lando will cruise threw his first few matches with a potential tough one against New Lexington champ Cole Dickerson. I think Cook survives that match and rolls into the semifinals to setup a doozy with Neves. If it was not for a minor late season injury that caused him to take a few weeks off in his preparations the report was ready to call for a gigantic upset; however, those few missed weeks could potentially be the difference between a 1 point match between the older more mature Cook and the ultra-aggressive Neves. The official report pick will be to have Neves score a late escape in OT to shake off the bad taste of a loss in the semifinals last year and rightfully return to wrestle for a state championship. If the match goes the other way you heard it here first, Landon Cook is an up and coming hammer!

In the third pod you get the favorite to reach the finals, the third ranked stud in this bracket Edward Neitenbach. Eddy is a big, skilled and experienced wrestler who has is a former champ of this tournament as well. I watch Eddy wrestle a few matches against studs this year and he was highly impressive in all of them. I believe Eddy will put that OAC pedigree and skillset on the line and he marches into the third semifinals slot by dispatching any potential opponents in his way. The most challenging kid in that march will most likely be Javen Doss and it could be a tight match but I don’t see Eddy losing.

In the fourth and final pod I see a tough quarterfinal match potentially between Untied and Stout with the advantage clearly go to Stout. I believe Stout will survive and set up a great semifinals match with Eddy. Stout has the ability to score in that matchup and even pull out the win however, I believe the tough matches that Eddy has been in this year will give him the mental toughness edge and it will allow him to move into the finals to take on Neves.

In the finals matchup you really have two outstanding wrestlers coming together and putting on a great finals worthy of being shown on FloWrestling! I believe that Eddy will try and slow the match down and use his size and strength to move Carter around. However, Neves has a very aggressive style and he looks to put constant pressure on kids while looking for scoring opportunities! I believe Neves wins late in the third or even OT to secure another OAC state title for him!
Old 03-20-17, 01:20 PM
All District

I will have the rest of D4 up by tomorrow night with D3 and D4 coming on Wednesday and Thursday, thanks!
Old 03-21-17, 10:27 AM
Varsity

CHTigerNation is on a distinguished road
MadMex64 check your PM

Madmex check your PM
Old 03-21-17, 11:21 AM
Freshman

Akronviper is on a distinguished road
Wow awesome breakdown, cant wait for the rest. Im really excited for the D4 65 lb and 70 lb matches, going to be a lot of great wrestling this weekend.
Old 03-21-17, 12:06 PM
Freshman

614_reed is on a distinguished road
Where can I find OAC GS Div 2 predictions?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-17, 01:24 PM
All District

D2 will be up on Thursday in a separate thread, thanks!
Old 03-21-17, 01:24 PM
All District

Favorite: Slaper, Moore,

Potential Placers: Powers, Metzger, Norwood, McDaniel, Delsanter, Walker, West, Sayre, Johnson, Litner, Havill, Haney, Davis

Sleeper: Newsome

In the top quarter of this bracket you have the talented and decorated stud Johnny Slaper. Slaper is no stranger to this tournament and has had a mountain of success here on the big stage. Usually as the #1 seed you get a favorable draw however, I foresee a problem with the pathway for Slaper and that problem is his potentially second round match with Newsome from Miron. Slaper is on the young side of the bracket this year and at these heavy weights the young studs occasionally cross paths with an older kid who is starting to go through the change. Depending on which Newsome shows up, Slaper will have his hands full to clear this matchup. I will officially predict that the dominant Newsome that was on display at the Pennway duals shows up this match and ekes out a very close match over the top seeded Slaper. Arriving to challenge Newsome in the quarters should be the undefeated New Lexington champ, Colton Powers. Powers should be able to compete with Newsome but I don’t think he has enough offense to keep up with the high scoring Newsome. I’ll take Newsome to secure the first spot in the semifinals.

In the second quarter of this bracket, the name that jumps out to me is Jonathan “JoJo” Norwood. JoJo is a classic throwback brawler who at times might be underhanded when it comes to skill or athleticism but is never outdone in the heart or grit department. I look for JoJo and his mental toughness approach to do some damage in the opening rounds and being able to secure a spot in the quarters. He will find himself encountering a tough second round opponent in Havill. Havill has the pedigree to challenge Norwood but in the end I take the older Norwood to survive and advance. Arriving in the quarters to face JoJo should be the undefeated Glen Oak champ Jonathan Metzger. I could not officially find anywhere where these two have cross paths this year so if they have please forgive that omission. I did find some impressive wins by Metzger so I know he is a formidable opponent for JoJo. Based off personal experience in coaching, I will take JoJo and his make or break mentality to put himself into position to secure the second slot in the semifinals to take on Newsome. In this semifinals matchup it really will be whoever has the ability to impose their style upon each other. Newsome will try and push the pace and out wrestling Norwood whereas Norwood will try and slow down the match and turn it into an extended hand fight to physical try and break Newsome. This is a coin flip in my eyes so by the closest of margins I will take Newsome to score a late takedown to secure his spot in the finals of this bracket.

In the third quarter of this bracket, two of the top kids meet in a first round matchup that will be a battle! McDaniel vs Linter is the one I have my eye on. I will take Litner in a tough match to advance onto to the second round where he will most likely encounter the runner up from Oregon Clay, Delsanter. In what should be the best matchup in this quarter of the bracket I can see a back and forth tussle but I will take Delsanter to survive and push into the quarters. There could be a number of wrestlers waiting for Delsanter in the quarters but it will most likely come down to the winner of the first round matchup between Garrow and Davis. I will take Garrow to survive and face off against Delsanter. IN that matchup I can see Delsanter opening it up late in the second and early third periods and coming away with a comfortable win to secure his spot into the semifinals on day two.
In the bottom quarter of this bracket you get who I would consider to be one of the favorites in this bracket, the OAC veteran Chad Moore. Moore is a big, strong, and athletic wrestler who will present a matchup problem for anybody who he encounters. He will encounter a stiff test in the second round from Myles Johnson. Johnson has the size to occasionally give other wrestlers problems, however I will project Moore to survive this encounter and push into the quarters. Waiting to take on Moore will most likely be the winner of the second round tussle between Sayre and Hughes. I will take Sayre to advance but the other two strong kids in this pod also have a legitimate chance to advance as well. I will take Moore to push into the semifinals with a convincing win over Sayre and arrive to take on Delsanter. Moore vs Delsanter is a coin flip type of match where I could make an argument for either wrestler. Considering all things evenly, I will take the experience over the age factor and I will take the younger Moore to squeak out a very narrow win and survive and move past Delsanter to push into the state finals.

In the finals, we have a rematch from the district championship wrestled at TW earlier this season. That matchup saw Moore coming up with a surprising pin over the stout Newsome. I have had the good fortunes of coaching Newsome here recently on a couple of my dual teams and he has really put his offensive game in high gear over the last 6 weeks. I will call for a reversal of fortunes in this match and I will choose Newsome to bag the state title in a close hard fought match!

Favorite: Ray, Snider

Potential Placers: Wells, Paterra, Starkey, Swearingen, Waggoner, Pool, Miller, Robinson, Fox, Getz, Williams

Sleeper: Shulaw

Wow, there is not a better #1 and #2 seeds in this entire tournament. In this pod of the bracket you get one of the most unique combinations of size, athleticism, and skill rolled into one package, the much acclaimed top seed Max Ray. Ray truly looks and wrestles like a Jr high kid already. He has a very lethal combination of technique and finesse that is also wrapped up in an explosive athletic ability. I see absolutely nobody putting up much of a fight with him (and that’s no disrespect to any of the, just a testament to how good Ray is) as Ray walks into the semifinals while comfortably putting away most likely Paterra in the quarters.

In the second quarter of this bracket you get a solid mix of talent and experience. The most likely matchup that I can see playing out in the quarters is a Waggoner vs Starkey matchup. Waggoner is a two time OAC placer and I think that previous experience and lessons learned in battling to get to the box will prove valuable in this matchup and I think Waggoner will survive a tough hard fought matchup to move into the semifinals to take on the skilled Ray. IN that semifinals matchup I see Waggoner battling hard but effort is not enough to beat the ubber talented Ray. I see Ray winning in comfortable fashion and pushing himself into yet another OAC finals appearance.

IN the third pod of this bracket you get a potentially interesting matchup in the second round that would involve the TC district champ, Gunnar Pool vs the runner up from TW Carson Miller. Pool is a very intriguing wrestler because from a physical standpoint he has all the tools that a coach would ever want. He is a very big, strong and tough kid. His technique and mental toughness have really started to come on board this year and the results are reflecting this growth and maturation. Miller comes from a wrestling family which includes his younger brother. Miller is also a very sound wrestler who is not afraid to compete on this big stage. It what will be a very tight might I will take Miller to survive and fend off the physical Pool. Waiting in the quarters to take on Miller will most likely be the winner of the potential second round matchup between Robinson and Fox. I will take Robinson to be there but I will still give the nod to Miller to survive this encounter and push into the third semis slot in this bracket.

As we move into the fourth and final quarter of this bracket we encounter the other Beast of this bracket, Kyle Snider! No, not that Kyle Snider but at this level the two are comparable! Snider is one of those big guys who absolutely wrestles like he is still in the bell curve weight classes! He has a tremendous ability to score from his feet and he’s a nasty rider on top. Again, I was fortunate enough to coach Snider a few times this season on some of my dual teams and more than once he came away with the team MVP. Coming in to face Snider in the quarters you will probably get one of the most up and coming wrestlers on the entire circuit this year, Max Shulaw from Palmer’s. Shulaw has tremendous size and put away strength. He has worked hard to close the technique gap between him and Snider and he has closed the gap. Shulaw has the type of strength that no matter who you are if he locks something up on you it could night-night time! I think Shulaw will challenge Snider and score points on him. Snider will be patience and in the third period I think Snider is able to get Shulaw to come out of position allowing for a key late take down that propels Snider into the Semifinals to take on Miller. IN this bottom semifinals match I believe that Snider will have his way. I look for a very comfortable win by Snider highlighted by multiple takedowns. This sets up what I would consider to be the marquee state finals matchup of the entire tournament, Ray vs Snider!

In the finals, you literally can’t go wrong with either pick! Both of these kids represent the type of talent and skill that we have on the GS circuit in our great wrestling state. Most people would argue that Ray will be the favorite ion paper and there is nothing I can do to argue that. However, upsets happen, every single year at this tournament and the Madmex report would not be complete without a few of them predicted. I will call for Snider to score the pivotal takedown late in the third period and do just enough to ridge Ray out to secure a 1 point victory over the much decorated Ray to earn Snider a state championship to close out his GS career!
Old 03-22-17, 09:04 AM
Freshman

BiggCheeze is on a distinguished road
When will you post D3 predictions? I LOVE YOUR FORUM
Old 03-22-17, 11:06 AM
All District

SOB rating: ***

Favorite: Ferguson, Bettura

Potential Placers: Sellers, Price, Sword, Berresford, Tumblison, Barlett,

Sleeper: Russo

In the first quarter of this bracket you get the #1 seed Ferguson, who took 3rd at 110.3 last year. I have been able to watch Ferguson up close and personal a few times this year and I have seen steady growth from him as the season has progressed. In these upper weights it’s very important that not only do the wrestlers grow in skill but also strength as well as the older kids are starting to mature and their puberty strength has the ability at times to negate the skill and technique of the younger kids. Ferguson will encounter a very tough match in the second round most likely against Price, who in turn, would have survived a brutal first round matchup with Sellers. Price has the ability to beat Ferguson but I will take the chalk of Ferguson to clear this encounter and I will move him into the quarters. Waiting for him in the quarters will probably be the TC champ Sword form BTW. I have limited information on Sword but I always like guys that come from competitive rooms (Penn State anyone?) and there is not a better room up North than BTW. I think Ferguson uses his OAC experience to survive this quarter’s brawl and moves into the top slot in the semifinals.

IN the second pod of this bracket the marquee matchup that I see jumping out is the potential second round tussle between the Oregon Clay champ Stiles and Berresford. I truly predict that the winner of this matchup will have the upper hand in advancing to the semifinals to take on the top seeded Ferguson. I will take Berresford based on his gritty performance at the Glen Oak district earlier this year. In that semifinals matchup I will take Ferguson to use his experience and wrestling IQ to outwit and survive against a serious threat from Berresford that could potential be an OT type of match. The official call is for Ferguson to survive and move into the state finals.

In the third pod of this bracket I truly believe you have the sleeping giant, Dylan Russo from Miron. Wow, what a room Miron has for the big guys. Once you reach the weights of 100+ I don’t think there is a tougher room in the whole state and you can see what the effect of that type of competition is having on studs like Russo. Last year Russo had a disappointing run at state; Madmex is predicting that the outcome this year will be very different. I had the pleasure of watching Russo up close and personal at VAC this year and he has really blossomed and developed! I don’t see anybody that jumps off the paper that has the resume that can sway my opinion of Russo marching into the 3rd slot of the semifinals in this bracket. He will most likely encounter the NL champ Tumblison in the quarters and I think Russo wins going away to arrive to the second day of the championship side of this bracket.

Down in the 4th and final pod of this bracket you get a returning OAC state champ Roclen Bettura, albeit from D3. Bettura is a very experienced wrestler who has some nice wins this year and combined with his experience of climbing the mountain form last year in full effect he will be a force to be reckoned with in this bracket. Again, I don’t see any names jumping off the chart at me that shows me that he will be beat and stopped form reaching the semifinals. He will most likely encounter the ST champ Barlett in the quarters but I don’t see Barlett having the tools to be able to knock off the #2 seed in that tussle. I will take Bettura to move into the semifinals to setup a very competitive barn burner with Russo. In this bottom semifinals, I predict a straight out war. On Russo’s side will be the training regiment and age; on Bettura/s side you will get the OAC experience of success. I think it will be a great semifinals match but I will officially take the older Russo to use that maturity to move him into the state finals to take on Ferguson.

In the finals, I think that Ferguson will take the upper hand early but as the match progresses that national level schedule that Russo ventured into this year will pay dividends. If Russo wrestles like he did at VAC I predict he will be this brackets OAC GS state champ!
Old 03-22-17, 11:07 AM
All District

D1/D2/D3 will be coming tomorrow, thanks
Old 03-22-17, 01:05 PM
Varsity

farley3d is on a distinguished road
Farley out at 90lb, injured
Old 03-22-17, 02:56 PM
All District

Dammit, sorry to hear this Coach Farley. Prayers for a speedy and full recovery for your Hammer!
Old 03-22-17, 03:50 PM
Freshman

azinda is on a distinguished road
No predictions for 140, or heavyweight?
Old 03-22-17, 04:06 PM
All District

I'll have those last two weight classes up tomorrow, thanks
Old 03-24-17, 06:31 AM
Junior Varsity

nic1633c is on a distinguished road
Last two weight classes?
Old 03-24-17, 08:00 AM
Freshman

Madram02 is on a distinguished road
120 Finals match will be NICE! (if all goes as projected) My son wrestled Snider during Freestyle season and Ray at ToC last season both are animals!