Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-17-17, 03:13 PM
sehs95's Avatar
sehs95 sehs95 is offline
U.S. American
 
Join Date: 08-23-02
Location: Lakewood, OH
Posts: 9,935
sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Great game Friday night at Sullivan. Eagles just had no answer for Davet. What a game and what a player he is. That being said, Flannery needs to instruct team to foul, up by 3, with just a few seconds left and the Cats with only 8 team fouls. I don't agree with his reasoning that he let the kids decide whether to foul or not. There is a reason he's the coach and they are the players.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-17-17, 09:13 PM
EagleSE EagleSE is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-11-02
Location: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE "E"
Posts: 5,683
EagleSE
To make the state poll and cleveland.com poll even more interesting St. Eds knocks off Lorain 76 to 63 at Lorain.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-18-17, 09:16 AM
mgoul mgoul is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-02-16
Posts: 13
mgoul is on a distinguished road
More interesting for you. A headache for me. lol

The parity around the area is crazy. I predicted to a friend, watch St. Ignatius beats St. Ed's and St. Ed's beats Lorain. Next up? I'm sure Central Catholic will upset Ignatius this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-18-17, 10:14 AM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 5,828
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Very good game last night. Tightly contested first half, multiple lead changes, Eagles go in up 4 I believe. Third quarter was all Ed's as Lorain went cold and the Eagles were scoring everywhere, inside and out. Lorain came out with their heads on fire in the fourth, applying pressure, forcing turnovers, and were able to cut the lead down to 7. Ed's regroups after a couple timeouts from Flan, and Sullivan knocks down some big shots late to quell the rally.

Not much of a basketball guru, but I was impressed by both teams. Big game from Calhoun. Finishes well around the basket and gives the Eagles an inside presence they haven't had since Stainbrook was here. Still a very guard oriented team though, with a deep rotation. The freshman are very impressive, Huffman in particular. Still a ways to go defensively. Lorain not as deep, but very impressive starting five. Bohannon was a beast. Very explosive athlete. Wilson and Brooks can score inside and out. And by out, I mean way out. They were knocking down some big boy threes. When Lorain turns it on, they pressure the ball well and can get up and down the floor quickly. Very athletic group, and not a team I'd be anxious to play again.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-18-17, 01:32 PM
EagleSE EagleSE is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-11-02
Location: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE "E"
Posts: 5,683
EagleSE
Well maybe I would like to play them again, it would mean we are in the state semi finals.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-28-17, 11:27 AM
slammer20 slammer20 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-05
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,060
slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Flannery has a young and talented team this year... the experience this schedule affords them will pay dividends as post season basketball unfolds. Another opportunity to play a quality opponent this evening (or VASJ).

Go Eagles!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-29-17, 10:54 AM
CatAlum CatAlum is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-12-01
Posts: 17,706
CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
Great game Friday night at Sullivan. Eagles just had no answer for Davet. What a game and what a player he is. That being said, Flannery needs to instruct team to foul, up by 3, with just a few seconds left and the Cats with only 8 team fouls. I don't agree with his reasoning that he let the kids decide whether to foul or not. There is a reason he's the coach and they are the players.
Just noticed this post.

Ignatius has been involved in three of these situations in the last two years...last year's regular season ending game at home against Ed's, where Ignatius was up 3 with a few seconds left and their player was directed to foul Ed's point guard Schmock near half-court. Schmock saw it coming and got off a shot and went to the line for 3 rather than 2. He missed one of the three and Ignatius held on for the win.

The second one was last season's loss to Garfield in the regional. Ignatius, again, up 3, decided to straight up defend...did a poor job of it...and Garfield hits a 3, ties the game at the buzzer and Garfield wins in OT.

Then, the recent Ed's/Ignatius game where Ed's straight up defends and Davet hits the 3 and sends the game into OT, where Ignatius wins.

In Garfield thread last year, someone posted a well-researched article from a guy named Ken Pomeroy, who argues that there are a lot of variables in this decision, but, overall, he argues that, generally, the percentages are in defending straight up when up by 3 and not putting the guy on the free throw line for 2.

http://kenpom.com/blog/studying-whet...n-tied-part-3/

"The fact is, chances of losing are close to remote in either case, but execution errors, an inflated offensive rebounding percentage, poor three-point shooting, and the chance of an extra possession are enough to counteract what might otherwise be the advantage of forcing a team to shoot free throws. In cases where the opponent has multiple good three-point shooters and you have confidence in rebounding a missed free throw, fouling may be the better option. But it appears the default decision should be to not foul.

. . .

To me, the only conclusion one can make is that the criticism of coaches that choose to defend appears to be misplaced. A small percentage of the time you’ll get burned no matter what you choose to do. We will continue to see teams make game-tying threes near the end of games more often than they get fouled simply because more coaches choose this strategy. In the long run, it’s difficult to prove it’s a bad idea."

Last edited by CatAlum; 01-29-17 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-20-17, 01:18 PM
sehs95's Avatar
sehs95 sehs95 is offline
U.S. American
 
Join Date: 08-23-02
Location: Lakewood, OH
Posts: 9,935
sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSpotlight View Post
In my preseason rankings, I have St Edward at # 2 in Northeastern ohio, right behind Massillon Jackson. I think they're the going to be the best team in Cleveland, but it may take some time. Tommy Schmock transitioning from being a scorer into a much needed facilitator on a team that will have 3 freshmen and a sophomore in their top 8.
Nice prediction from back in November.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-20-17, 10:54 PM
EdzSportsFan EdzSportsFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-01-16
Posts: 26
EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
Nice prediction from back in November.
"Impresive"
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-27-17, 11:01 PM
CuriousGeorge1 CuriousGeorge1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-24-08
Posts: 1,526
CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
How did the Final Four go? I was out of town and didn't read the PD yet. Going to go there now I suppose, but any insight? I obviously know we lost.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-28-17, 06:11 PM
DB 04 DB 04 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-09-15
Posts: 676
DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Eds should win a title in the next 2-3 years. You guys have a solid coach and class act. He's capable of coaching at a D1 college.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-29-17, 07:05 AM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 151
satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Eds should win a title in the next 2-3 years. You guys have a solid coach and class act. He's capable of coaching at a D1 college.
Finding a capable replacement for Schmock will be the key. Have no idea what's in the pipeline there but without someone to run the point at a high level, getting back will not be as easy as some may assume.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-30-17, 03:03 PM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 5,828
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
How did the Final Four go? I was out of town and didn't read the PD yet. Going to go there now I suppose, but any insight? I obviously know we lost.
Basically, we ran into a very good Jackson basketball team and did not play up to the level of competition necessary to make it a game. Eagles were in foul trouble early, committed 11 first half turnovers, and found themselves in a double digit deficit they were never able to overcome. The closest it got in the second half was a 9-point game about half way through the 4th, but Jackson responded to everything. Ed's shot 41% from the floor and 21% from three compared to Jackson's 58% and 45%. Schmock recovered from a rocky start to have a fantastic 23 point effort, but we didn't get much help anywhere else. Final score would have been much worse if Jackson didn't shoot so poorly form the free throw line in the second half.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-30-17, 10:10 PM
EdzSportsFan EdzSportsFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-01-16
Posts: 26
EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Basically, we ran into a very good Jackson basketball team and did not play up to the level of competition necessary to make it a game. Eagles were in foul trouble early, committed 11 first half turnovers, and found themselves in a double digit deficit they were never able to overcome. The closest it got in the second half was a 9-point game about half way through the 4th, but Jackson responded to everything. Ed's shot 41% from the floor and 21% from three compared to Jackson's 58% and 45%. Schmock recovered from a rocky start to have a fantastic 23 point effort, but we didn't get much help anywhere else. Final score would have been much worse if Jackson didn't shoot so poorly form the free throw line in the second half.
Easy to say Ed's didn't match up. The fact that Jackson missed FT's is exactly why Ed's had an opportunity to beat them. Protect the ball better, get your best 3 point shooter more shots than 4 looks....say 10-12 and maybe the outcome is different? Refs put Ed's in an 8 point hole with the horrendous opening call and 5 fouls in 122 seconds (while undermatched at every position).

I don't know....just sayin.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-30-17, 10:35 PM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 151
satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzSportsFan View Post
Easy to say Ed's didn't match up. The fact that Jackson missed FT's is exactly why Ed's had an opportunity to beat them. Protect the ball better, get your best 3 point shooter more shots than 4 looks....say 10-12 and maybe the outcome is different? Refs put Ed's in an 8 point hole with the horrendous opening call and 5 fouls in 122 seconds (while undermatched at every position).

I don't know....just sayin.
Here we go with the refs again....what a bunch of whiners. Couldn't be good defense limiting 3 point looks. Couldn't be that Eds actually fouled somebody. Nah...it was the refs putting Eds in an insurmountable 8 point hole...good grief
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-31-17, 05:19 AM
Bball216 Bball216 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-13
Posts: 2,161
Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I talked to a coach from the Ed's staff at the Varsity Club on Saturday. He said prior to the game that they knew how good Jackson was and figured that if they played them 5 times they would hope to beat them once. They were hoping that Friday would be that one. After the game he told me that Jackson was even better then they thought at it was more like thy would win one out of ten. Jackson is a big team at all positions and is a tough matchup. I heard nothing but praise from the Ed's faithful I spoke to. No refs, no sour grapes, etc - they just accepted the fact that Jackson was the better team this year.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-01-17, 10:04 AM
EdzSportsFan EdzSportsFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-01-16
Posts: 26
EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satriani View Post
Here we go with the refs again....what a bunch of whiners. Couldn't be good defense limiting 3 point looks. Couldn't be that Eds actually fouled somebody. Nah...it was the refs putting Eds in an insurmountable 8 point hole...good grief

It's not an excuse if it's a Fact! You can call it whining all you want, watch the film, the calls were crap! Thats my take! Anything can happen in 1 game down there and that was my point! Just because Jackson is better (never said they weren't) doesn't mean the 1st half was called well, and it wasn't. You don't know what your looking for that's why you didn't recognize the weak Officiating. Jackson won the game because they were better. Cmon...the first call of the game was absolutely comical and you're gonna tell me it wasn't indicative of the ridiculous fouls called in the next minute? Eds kids weren't nervous, the crappy referees were!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-01-17, 02:54 PM
satriani satriani is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-21-08
Posts: 151
satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzSportsFan View Post
It's not an excuse if it's a Fact! You can call it whining all you want, watch the film, the calls were crap! Thats my take! Anything can happen in 1 game down there and that was my point! Just because Jackson is better (never said they weren't) doesn't mean the 1st half was called well, and it wasn't. You don't know what your looking for that's why you didn't recognize the weak Officiating. Jackson won the game because they were better. Cmon...the first call of the game was absolutely comical and you're gonna tell me it wasn't indicative of the ridiculous fouls called in the next minute? Eds kids weren't nervous, the crappy referees were!
So why bring up the refs if you aren't trying to use them as an excuse? You've admitted that:

- Jackson was better
- Eds was over matched
- Eds was sloppy with the ball
- Eds didn't get the 3 point looks from Sullivan that they are accustomed to getting (you seem to attribute that to coaching, I attribute it to good defense)
- Jackson's FT shooting was poor

Yet, in spite of all that, you have to throw in the refs 'put Eds in an 8 point hole' as if to offer that as an excuse. Let's assume, for a moment, you are correct. Are you saying the 122 seconds where you say Eds got screwed by the refs created an insurmountable lead - when Jackson shot 47% from the free throw line for the game and the 'bad calls' were so early in the game? Eds outscored Jackson in only one quarter (the 4th) by only one point when the game was already decided. So...what happened the other 30ish minutes in the game? I'll tell you what happened, Jackson was better and beat Eds. They had a 20 point lead at one point in the 2nd half (well after your alleged 122 seconds of bad calls). They beat Eds by 11 in spite of shooting 47% from the line. The strategy seemed to be not to give Logan Hill any easy buckets or dunks,foul him and put him on the line. It turned out to be an effective strategy but, by definition, that strategy is going to result in more fouls being called. Eds had one impact player (Schmock) who basically kept them in the game by himself and, even by Flannery's own admission, Eds underestimated Jackson's guards. The refs had zero impact on the outcome of the game. Z-E-R-O. You can see whatever you think you saw in the film but you bringing up the refs at all is a whiner move.

Last edited by satriani; 04-02-17 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
33 new 13U-18U tournaments on college fields; some are on college fields kay971bin240 Baseball 0 03-16-16 04:50 AM
St Edward vs St Ignatius PDC Football 120 11-03-15 07:29 PM
Elite Football Network Big mans Camp 2/8/15 Xpert07 National Football Board 1 07-31-15 09:19 PM
Brecksville Holiday Tournament 2014 toledodean Wrestling 175 01-07-15 04:25 AM
St. Edward @ St. Ignatius EagleFan Football 76 11-03-14 12:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz