Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 07:14 AM
Freshman

bubba11 is on a distinguished road
Norwood Indians and the MVC

With Norwood entering the MVC this year, how well will they compete against the likes of CHCA, Summit, NCH and others?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 07:27 AM
All District

20yearcoach is on a distinguished road
I'll jump in here. I think it was a good move. Better competition than the SBAAC gave them as far as Harbin Points...
Old 03-20-17, 08:14 AM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearcoach View Post
I'll jump in here. I think it was a good move. Better competition than the SBAAC gave them as far as Harbin Points...
I disagree. It was not the SBAAC that cost them Harbin points. They were required to play New Richmond, Goshen, Amelia and Western Brown. That's 3 D3 schools and a D2, Norwood opted to play some of the smaller SBAAC schools in their out of conference schedule and that's what cost them points. You can't play CNE, Woodward, Batavia and Bethel Tate in the same season and expect to see week 11 when you're D3 and lose 2 of your big point games.

Norwood will fair okay in the MVC, winning more than they lose but they'll never have the discipline to compete with CHCA. They may always have talented kids but they never can harness that talent consistently.
Old 03-20-17, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Norwood is joining with Miami Valley Christian Academy to bring the MVC to 11 football playing members.

Dayton Christian is a football only member of the MVC, playing in the Gray Division.

Cincinnati Christian has had football as recently as two years ago but the program has been on hold and maybe is officially terminated?

Seven Hills does not offer football-does anyone know if they ever have?

I would assume that Norwood is going into the Scarlet to make a 6 team division and MVCA into the Gray to make a 5 team division? If CCS brings their program back that gives two pretty balanced divisions.

I like the Indians chances of being in the mix in the Scarlet right out of the chute. CHCA is still the team to beat and I don't think Norwood will dethrone them in year one. Could see them giving Summit good games that could go either way, along with NCH, CCD and Clark. I predict 2-3 for year one: wins over Clark and CCD, losses to NCH, CHCA, and Summit.

My guess is they will be a contender most years if the coaching stays stable and roster numbers are good. I do not see them coming in and running the table.

Any crossover games with schools in the Gray Division that are set up I like them to be favored.

When a Scarlet and Gray team play each other, is that simply decided between the two schools without any MVC scheduling? It does not look like the games count toward conference record?
Old 03-21-17, 09:06 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
I disagree. It was not the SBAAC that cost them Harbin points. They were required to play New Richmond, Goshen, Amelia and Western Brown. That's 3 D3 schools and a D2, Norwood opted to play some of the smaller SBAAC schools in their out of conference schedule and that's what cost them points. You can't play CNE, Woodward, Batavia and Bethel Tate in the same season and expect to see week 11 when you're D3 and lose 2 of your big point games.

Norwood will fair okay in the MVC, winning more than they lose but they'll never have the discipline to compete with CHCA. They may always have talented kids but they never can harness that talent consistently.
Wasn't New Richmond the only team with an actual winning record? Goshen went 5-5 with wins over Hillsboro, Blanchester, Bethel, Burg and WB, Western Brown 3-7 wins over Hillsboro, Amelia and Bethel then going Amelia 3-7 with their wins over Batavia, CNE and Goshen. Seems like they all beat each other up out there and nobody getting the points that come out with a winning record.
Old 03-21-17, 09:31 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearcoach View Post
Wasn't New Richmond the only team with an actual winning record? Goshen went 5-5 with wins over Hillsboro, Blanchester, Bethel, Burg and WB, Western Brown 3-7 wins over Hillsboro, Amelia and Bethel then going Amelia 3-7 with their wins over Batavia, CNE and Goshen. Seems like they all beat each other up out there and nobody getting the points that come out with a winning record.
Last year wasn't the top year for the SBC, a few teams had off years. I know it isn't a win and close doesn't mean anything but Goshen lost 3 of its 5 games by a score or less. A few plays and they were looking at 7-3, 8-2 with losses to CHCA and NR. The year before though, Goshen, WB and NR (playoffs) were 7-3, Norwood was 5-5 with respect to the larger schools and Burg and Bethel were both in the playoffs. Blanchester also saw week 11 action this past season. However, as a league I think they're getting much better as far as football in concerned. Even if you don't mention that Massie and Wilmington are coming in, Goshen and NR are building legitimate programs with solid numbers and the results will come. WB has hit a small dip but as big as they are, they wont be at the bottom for long. Batavia has the roughest road ahead as they're the smallest school in the large side and they're struggling to get a few wins over the smaller SBC schools. Norwood is going to run into a points issue in the MVC because they will be a D3 schools primarily playing D5/D6 schools. Now Competitive Balance may change that to D4/D5 but still... they're going to need some marque wins to even think about week 11 from now on because they could end up 7-3 or even 8-2 and not make it.
Old 03-21-17, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

gobucks93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does Norwood have a coach yet ? What happened to Majors ? They were successful while he was there
Old 03-21-17, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
The MVC and CHL should swap Norwood for Deer Park
Old 03-21-17, 04:34 PM
All District

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
The MVC and CHL should swap Norwood for Deer Park
I AGREE!!!

and Summit Country Day should go to the GCL co-ed league.
Old 03-21-17, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
I AGREE!!!

and Summit Country Day should go to the GCL co-ed league.
Are they catholic?
Old 03-21-17, 05:29 PM
All District

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are they catholic?
yes and they recruit like the rest of the catholic schools
Old 03-21-17, 07:13 PM
Freshman

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would the you want Deer Park to come into the MVC? Summit leaving would be a big negative to the MVC. CHCA, CCD, Seven Hills and Summit all recruit because they are private schools. Norwood coming into the MVC helps the league but Deer Park would be another "bad team" coming into the league. The MVC has enough "bad teams". Deer Park sucks in every sport and would bring NOTHING to the MVC.
Old 03-22-17, 07:24 AM
Freshman

indianfan2016 is on a distinguished road
One thing that may help Norwood is the competitive balance piece. It could move SCD, CCD and CHCA up a division. It would make things interesting for CHCA moving to DIV (although if Alter moves up it makes it easier) and SCD/CCD moving to DV with Coldwater is rough.
Old 03-22-17, 07:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
Why would the you want Deer Park to come into the MVC? Summit leaving would be a big negative to the MVC. CHCA, CCD, Seven Hills and Summit all recruit because they are private schools. Norwood coming into the MVC helps the league but Deer Park would be another "bad team" coming into the league. The MVC has enough "bad teams". Deer Park sucks in every sport and would bring NOTHING to the MVC.
I've heard for some time now that Deer Park and Finneytown want out of the CHL and that CHCA applied for entrance to the league but that was rejected immediately. I also know Massie had some strong interest in the CHL when their league bailed on them but I do not believe that made it very far either.
Old 03-22-17, 08:09 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Deer Park and Finneytown are always going to struggle to compete in the CHL in most sports IMHO. They are going up against opposing schools that, by and large, have athletes with a lot more resources-not just equipment, but training, off-season coaching and development, etc.

They combined to go 1-13 in Football, with Deer Park's only win over Finneytown.

Finneytown has really fallen on hard times, going 0-21 in football and basketball combined this academic year. A player that could probably put up some gaudy stats for them in hoops transferred to a bigger school.

I don't think FHS would fair that much better in the MVC for football, especially in the Scarlet Division. North College Hill went 2-2 in conference play but beat Finneytown 59-0.

If the MVC isn't interested in either of them, I would consider myself blessed that the CHL is willing to retain them both as there really aren't any other urban/metro small school conference options in the heart of Cincinnati. I doubt they want to get into the situation Norwood was in having to haul out east for all road contests.

Norwood will compete in football in the MVC. The level of competition will certainly rise in other sports, especially more of the "Olympic" or as some say "country club" sports.

While I think Summit would be a strong addition to the GCL Co-Ed, they seem perfectly happy in the MVC with no intentions of leaving. It is my understanding that they are a founding member of the conference and have healthy long standing rivalries with CCD, CHCA, Seven Hills etc.

If Norwood and Summit start a good rivalry in football they can play for the Rookwood Trophy or something.
Old 03-22-17, 10:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post

If Norwood and Summit start a good rivalry in football they can play for the Rookwood Trophy or something.
That would be interesting. A Rookwood Trophy... A public school vs private school local rivalry.
Old 03-22-17, 10:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Deer Park and Finneytown are always going to struggle to compete in the CHL in most sports IMHO. They are going up against opposing schools that, by and large, have athletes with a lot more resources-not just equipment, but training, off-season coaching and development, etc.

They combined to go 1-13 in Football, with Deer Park's only win over Finneytown.

Finneytown has really fallen on hard times, going 0-21 in football and basketball combined this academic year. A player that could probably put up some gaudy stats for them in hoops transferred to a bigger school.

I don't think FHS would fair that much better in the MVC for football, especially in the Scarlet Division. North College Hill went 2-2 in conference play but beat Finneytown 59-0.

If the MVC isn't interested in either of them, I would consider myself blessed that the CHL is willing to retain them both as there really aren't any other urban/metro small school conference options in the heart of Cincinnati. I doubt they want to get into the situation Norwood was in having to haul out east for all road contests.

Norwood will compete in football in the MVC. The level of competition will certainly rise in other sports, especially more of the "Olympic" or as some say "country club" sports.

While I think Summit would be a strong addition to the GCL Co-Ed, they seem perfectly happy in the MVC with no intentions of leaving. It is my understanding that they are a founding member of the conference and have healthy long standing rivalries with CCD, CHCA, Seven Hills etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks93 View Post
Does Norwood have a coach yet ? What happened to Majors ? They were successful while he was there
I believe they have been through 2 coaches since him? Paul Jenne and now the current HC.
Old 03-22-17, 05:30 PM
All District

HSFB is on a distinguished road
What happened to Paul Jenne?
Old 03-22-17, 06:47 PM
All District

red123
The word that was shared with me is after going 8-2 the board decided that they wanted someone in the building and hired coach Ragle. This after a battle with cancer. I hope he lands somewhere. That offense put up some impressive numbers this year.
Old 03-22-17, 06:57 PM
Freshman

GapDownBacker is on a distinguished road
I have met coach jenne. I know he will land on his feet. He has won at every school he has been at. He will just look at this as another opportunity.
Old 03-22-17, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've heard for some time now that Deer Park and Finneytown want out of the CHL and that CHCA applied for entrance to the league but that was rejected immediately. I also know Massie had some strong interest in the CHL when their league bailed on them but I do not believe that made it very far either.
The CHL does not allow private schools. That's why it was rejected immediately.
Old 03-24-17, 09:00 AM
All District

Does it look like CHCA will make another run this upcoming season? Will anyone be able to topple the Champs?