Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-22-14, 05:52 PM
Freshman

Hoop Doc is on a distinguished road
Coaching girls vs. coaching boys

I'm considering coaching girls for AAU this coming spring. I have coached boys at the high school level in both Aau and school ball the past couple seasons.

What do you all feel are the positives and negatives of coaching both and what do you think the transition would be like.

Finally, what are some of the better programs between Canton-Cleveland??
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-14, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
1) When it comes down to it, coaching is coaching. The best coaching style is the same/works for both. You have to know your players and how best to reach them. Period.

2) Why are you looking to change/switch to coaching girls? That might better define what a 'good program' would be for you
Old 11-22-14, 11:39 PM
Freshman

Hoop Doc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
1) When it comes down to it, coaching is coaching. The best coaching style is the same/works for both. You have to know your players and how best to reach them. Period.

2) Why are you looking to change/switch to coaching girls? That might better define what a 'good program' would be for you
Biggest reason I am looking to change to coaching girls in the spring is to give myself a bit of a change of pace. I found myself getting a little burnt out by the end of the summer last year after coaching boys from the beginning of fall to the end of June. I want to find a program that is going to be very competitive but will give me some freedom in tournaments that I play in and the players on my roster.
Old 11-24-14, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Freedom for players on the roster will be easy to get from most programs... freedom to choose your tourneys may be a different story.
Old 11-25-14, 01:59 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
I think the biggest difference in coaching boys and girls is they play the sport for different reasons... Boys normally embrace the competition of sport. Girls normally embrace the idea of team/family. The gift and the curse of coaching girls is if you say... "I need you to screen the top left man in the 2-3." They're gonna screen that man everytime regardless if they could pop middle for an easier shot. Most girls are not gonna veer from the course and be a player.
Old 11-25-14, 04:38 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
that is so true- and made me smile! Girls will follow the rules, they love practice, but don't really play pickup like boys do. They will shoot around at home, but not grab a group of girls and just play! That is where kids learn how to make decisions and be a player
Old 12-03-14, 04:00 PM
All Region

oldhoopsguy is on a distinguished road
contact Brian at www.varsityac.com where he will make sure you get the freedom to choose your own players and your own tourneys to go to along with a very inexpensive price for the players. they also work with coaches to find a convenient local practice site and are without a doubt the most organized of the larger clubs.
Old 12-05-14, 09:23 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I have coached both and the boys game is much faster so you as a man, you can see the game easier coaching girls. The girls listen way better than the boys, but the boys are much more athletic. I coached them the same way as far as preping them for the teams that they were playing. However I had to talk to them differently.
Old 03-01-17, 08:37 AM
Varsity

coachted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk Diggler View Post
I think the biggest difference in coaching boys and girls is they play the sport for different reasons... Boys normally embrace the competition of sport. Girls normally embrace the idea of team/family. The gift and the curse of coaching girls is if you say... "I need you to screen the top left man in the 2-3." They're gonna screen that man everytime regardless if they could pop middle for an easier shot. Most girls are not gonna veer from the course and be a player.
100% correct
Old 03-01-17, 09:36 AM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
I disagree that coaching is coaching...I have coached on both sides and I find that girls tend to be more focus and if they believe in you will run through a brick wall for you....
Old 03-01-17, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
I coached mostly boys and a few girls' teams at the middle school level (CYO...6-8th grade) over many years.

While I found that girls' were a little different than boys (some ideas shared above I would agree with), for the most part, I didn't think the differences were significant. I certainly coached boys who stuck closely to the designed play, for instance and I don't know that I agree that "boys want to compete" and girls "just want to be part of a team".

What I DID find is that some parents of girls had a different view. Not the majority, but a significant minority who resisted and resented the girls being taught to compete hard, to be tough, to be singled out publicly for criticism during a game. To me, that was the most challenging difference.
Old 03-01-17, 02:06 PM
Junior Varsity

Baseball4Life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecity View Post
i disagree that coaching is coaching...i have coached on both sides and i find that girls tend to be more focus and if they believe in you will run through a brick wall for you....
yep!
Old 03-15-17, 01:42 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I have coached girls AAU and high school basketball for 5 years. I have been coaching boys now for 6 years. The difference is speed of the game. The boys are much faster so as a coach, you have to think just as quick. In the girls game, they try so hard to understand and once they get it, its an awesome feeling. So yes, I am saying that girls listen better than boys. Believe it or not, the boys are more sensitive than the girls! If you cover these things as a coach, you can be able to coach both girls and boys and be successful.
Old 03-20-17, 10:13 AM
All District

dragon13 is on a distinguished road
Not a Factor

Men have no problem teaching girls in the classroom. Personally I think men do a superior job in coaching, good coaches can coach anything and anyone.
Old 03-22-17, 12:00 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
I have coached both, although not in basketball, and I much prefer coaching girls over boys.
Old 03-22-17, 11:46 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
For me having kids play at a high level in both boys/girls- I have seen new coaches come in to a girls team and have it go from bottom to top in one season. I attribute this to it girls basketball being less about star power as team work, effort, discipline and a solid game plan . Have seen it year after year where the less athletically gifted team runs circles around the stud team. I have seen this transformation less with boys teams as they tend to rely more on talent. I feel that a coach can have a much bigger immediate impact on a girls team- both for the good and the bad!