Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-17, 06:06 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
The final dagger for Chapel Hill Mall?

With Macy's already closed and now Sears announced they are closing their store at the Mall, is there any way that Chapel Hill can survive?

Quote:
Sears announced a second wave of store closures on Wednesday, bringing the total number of closures slated for early 2017 to 150.

And here's a list of Sears stores that are closing:

2000 Brittain Road, Akron, Ohio
Read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/list-...closing-2017-1
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Old 01-04-17, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Nope. Before long, we'll be looking at old pictures and Youtube videos of it just like Rolling Acres.
Old 01-05-17, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Trump can save it!

Defund public transportation ? Controlled access and a cover charge, refunded with a receipt shown ? I guess if some idiot is going to pay 10 bucks to talk through some movie he's seen twice already, the cover may not help.

At some point, does it make sense to keep a few open at a loss, as bait ?

Beachwood Place Mall just rolled out some new rules - http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-...as-disturbance
Old 03-17-17, 01:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

JC Penney at Chapel Hill NOT closing:

Quote:
Word that JC Penney is closing 138 locations across the nation sent more shock waves through the area, but officials at Akron's Chapel Hill Mall are breathing a little easier after learning the Akron store wasn't on the closing list

Read more:
http://www.wnir.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=391931

Good news for the Mall. Maybe it can hang on a little longer.
Old 03-17-17, 01:53 PM
All World

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
What is the infatuation with wanting to cling on to these outdated and inefficient things? Is it solely nostalgia?
Old 03-17-17, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
What is the infatuation with wanting to cling on to these outdated and inefficient things? Is it solely nostalgia?
How many times have you "show-roomed" something in a brick-n-mortar before you ordered it on line ?
Old 03-17-17, 06:52 PM
All Yappi

I'm shocked that Chapel Hill wasn't on the JCP death list. The last couple of times I've been in that store there have been very few customers and finding a JCP employee was a ten minute search.
Old 03-17-17, 11:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'm shocked that Chapel Hill wasn't on the JCP death list. The last couple of times I've been in that store there have been very few customers and finding a JCP employee was a ten minute search.
I went to the mall about two weeks ago on a Saturday night just before closing and was shocked how busy it was. After hearing all this negative stuff, I expected it to be deserted.

With that said, there were alot of empty store fronts. The food court is just embarrassing. I've always felt they should have given free space away to some major restaurant chains like McDonalds, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and Chipotle. Anything that will draw people in on a daily basis.
Old 03-18-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I went to the mall about two weeks ago on a Saturday night just before closing and was shocked how busy it was. After hearing all this negative stuff, I expected it to be deserted.

With that said, there were alot of empty store fronts. The food court is just embarrassing. I've always felt they should have given free space away to some major restaurant chains like McDonalds, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and Chipotle. Anything that will draw people in on a daily basis.
The last time I went through that food court it was like running a gauntlet of small asians pushing unidentifiable chunks of meat on a toothpick at me.
Old 03-18-17, 11:24 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The last time I went through that food court it was like running a gauntlet of small asians pushing unidentifiable chunks of meat on a toothpick at me.
Agreed. That was the biggest mistake that Chapel Hill made a long time ago. They didn't court the big name franchises and let the little unrecognizable places move in. Then they let them harass the mall shoppers as they walked by.

Poor management has led to this problem at Chapel Hill. I know that there are alot of people that want to get rid of the bus line that comes right in to the parking lot on the backside of the Mall. Just wonder if that was something the previous management thought would save the Mall back then. Another big mistake by them.
Old 03-18-17, 08:41 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
From what I've read crime is playing a factor in keeping people away.
Old 03-18-17, 10:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
From what I've read crime is playing a factor in keeping people away.
Yes, it's definitely a different environment there now. Someone was killed just outside the Mall a couple years ago. I've never felt unsafe while I was there but plenty of people do. Just the reputation of being unsafe is making people stay away.
Old 03-18-17, 11:03 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
That sucks. Once a major retail place like that disappears in an area, it's a domino effect all around it and things only get worse. Damn shame.
Old 03-20-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Gonna join Randall Park and Rolling Acres pretty soon in the closed department.

Is Parma Town Mall still functioning in any way?
Old 03-21-17, 02:05 PM
All World

oldline70
It's a shame. It wasn't THAT long ago that CH was a viable mall. I never used to feel unsafe there, but there's no denying it's taken a turn in the last 8-10 years.

It wasn't that long ago that I used to consider CH the 'safe' mall. With the closing of the major anchors, plus Old Navy and a few others, the mall has to be on borrowed time.

I think if the city officials from the communities of Akron, Cuyahoga Falls and Tallmadge could figure out a plan to tear down the mall, they'd do so and the sooner the better.
Again, it's sad for a longtime area resident like me, and I have to believe that one day, malls will be back. .
Old 03-21-17, 02:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
I think if the city officials from the communities of Akron, Cuyahoga Falls and Tallmadge could figure out a plan to tear down the mall, they'd do so and the sooner the better.
I know that the Mayors of these cities have been meeting to figure out how to save it.

One thing that I thought but likely wouldn't work is that every time I go in to Sam's Club, I have to show a membership card. Maybe something like that would work for a Mall. I suspect they kick out a decent number of people every month but have no real way of preventing them from coming back the next day.

The number one goal is to make everyone feel safe. Growing up in the area, we were regularly dropped off there for a Movie and hanging out afterwards at the McDonald's or in the general area. Never got in to any trouble and never saw any trouble back then either.
Old 03-21-17, 08:59 PM
All World

oldline70
The manner and speed with which the mall has declined still rightfully boggles my mind.

For anyone on here over ago 40, flash back 25 years ago to when the mall, and the area, were thriving- if someone told you Chapel Hill Mall would be on its last legs would you have believed it, then?

I'm 54. I can recall times from the 90s and 80s when around Christmastime, on a weekend afternoon, it was near impossible to find a parking spot anywhere near the mall. Back then we parked at the Sears end if we needed hardware goods and at the Macy's (nay, O'Neil's) end if we needed clothing items. Somewhere around the time they started the bus line thing is when I think the flavor of the mall changed. Hell, I can remember when they tossed around building a Walmart in the area, if I'm not mistaken (Yappi backe me up).
Old 03-21-17, 09:07 PM
All Ohio

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Oak Hollow Mall in my area just gasped its last breath, joining Carolina Circle Mall in the mall graveyard. Circle, which closed ~2000 had a twenty-five year life while Oak Hollow in nearby High Point was open only twenty years. (While I am no visionary, I felt both mall locations had issues and the malls would not last).

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about CC where I briefly worked in a standalone grocery. (The company offered me the management position). Sound familiar?

By 1990, Carolina Circle Mall was clearly in decline. A skateboarding park adjacent to the mall drew complaints, as incidents such as drug use increased around the mall's property. Many housing projects were popping up nearby or being converted.

A growing number of gangs combined with a perception of crime kept shoppers away from Carolina Circle Mall. The vacancy rate increased throughout the 1990s. Mainstays such as Waldenbooks, Camelot Music and Radio Shack left the mall. Belk downsized its department store, leasing the lower level to the U.S. Post Office. In 1998 Belk[1] and Dillard's (formerly Ivey's) closed their doors, with Dillard's having previously downgraded to a clearance center[2] leaving Montgomery Ward as the sole anchor and only a handful of inline tenants left. By 2002, with Montgomery Ward in bankruptcy, the closure of that chain signaled the closure of the entire mall.

Some malls are using creative measures to help save them, such as employing horse-drawn carriages to transport customers to the mall entrances. BusinessWeek magazine had a good article about the demise of malls not too, too long ago.
Old 03-21-17, 09:08 PM
All District

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For anyone on here over ago 40, flash back 25 years ago to when the mall, and the area, were thriving- if someone told you Chapel Hill Mall would be on its last legs would you have believed it, then?
If I'd also known about the internet yes, probably.

That said, some malls are still thriving. There will always be a market for them to some degree. Easton in Columbus is always packed when I'm there.
Old 03-21-17, 09:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
The manner and speed with which the mall has declined still rightfully boggles my mind.

I'm 54. I can recall times from the 90s and 80s when around Christmastime, on a weekend afternoon, it was near impossible to find a parking spot anywhere near the mall. Back then we parked at the Sears end if we needed hardware goods and at the Macy's (nay, O'Neil's) end if we needed clothing items. Somewhere around the time they started the bus line thing is when I think the flavor of the mall changed. Hell, I can remember when they tossed around building a Walmart in the area, if I'm not mistaken (Yappi backe me up).
The Walmart was supposed to be built off of Howe Road in Tallmadge where Baker's Acres Golf Course was located (now it's condos). The problem was getting the people that lived in the houses that backed up to it didn't want it there (first time I heard of NIMBY) and Cuyahoga Falls wasn't allowing for traffic to come in and out on Howe Road in their city. So they eventually scrapped the idea.

I think another thing that hurt the area was that they never connected Chapel Hill Plaza with Chapel Hill Mall. When they developed that area in the mid 80's, they should have made an effort to connect the two areas so it was one big shopping area. Instead, it was like they competed. It's strange, everyone knew that Chapel Hill Plaza would kill Midway Plaza but no one thought it was going to kill the Mall too.
Old 03-21-17, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Adding Walmart would have made it worse. Good decision to keep it away.
Old 03-23-17, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Since moving to this side of Akron over a year of ago, I can't count how many times I've been up to Howe Ave to go the Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A, Giant Eagle or something else on Howe Ave. I've been inside the mall once. And that was a fluke.

Does the Mall itself really matter that much for that area? Howe Ave has the meaningful stores. Who the heck still shops are Sears? I don't know that I've ever shopped at Sears.
Old 03-23-17, 09:40 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Guys, I'm really worried about this mall. What can we do to save it?
Old 03-23-17, 09:47 AM
All Ohio

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Maybe recruit some non traditional kids outside of our feeder system? Over my dead body will this thing close

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: