Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-17, 05:01 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Zunardo,

Thanks for the WCOL website. Pretty good stuff on it. Wes Hopkins was a name that I had completely forgotten about, but he was definitely a mainstay of the era. Appears a great number of the DJ's are now deceased. I saw a picture of Neil Shapiro on the website, but I'm drawing a blank on him and also can't recall Chuck ( rock n roll) Martin either.

Bevo,

Must have hit a nerve with that Channel 4 Columbus connection ! When you threw out the name of Ruth Lyons and her 50/50 Club followed by Sally Flowers I almost fell off my chair! I can barely remember watching Sally Flowers as a really little kid right after we got our first TV set! You are a few years younger than me so I'm thinking you must have watched from either a playpen or your crib, lol. The strange thing is, I can remember the main sponsor of the Sally Flowers show. . .it was the Moore's Store which was kind of like a cross between a hardware store and the Grand Ol' Opry!

Yesterday your thread sent me digging into my music/video collectibles to bring out the Dantes DVD and your latest entry as sent me to my pop culture library and I have just dusted off these two classics : " Not Just A Sound, The Story of WLW" by Dick Perry and another gem " How About That!, 50 Years of Cliffhangers and Barnburners" the autobiography of Jimmy Crum, complete with a foreword by Bob Greene.

I just flipped thru the WLW book and let me throw a few names out which could even get more nostalgia flowing. The book focuses mainly on the Cincinnati market instead of Columbus, while the Jimmy Crum book is primarily about central Ohio. By the way are you aware that Jimmy Crum is from your neck of the woods, he's a Mansfield guy and started his career at WMAN on a radio talent show singing duet with a girl from Galion named Avis LaVerne Forest back in 1942. He and his Galion partner had a 15 minute evening show on Thursday nights. Show was dropped once his voice changed. That was even before I was born !! His book is very, very interesting.

Jumping ahead to WLW, I'll just drop these names and won't go into any detail, but do you remember any of these folks. . . . Bonnie Lou, Nick Clooney, Paul Dixon, Peter Grant,
The Cliff Lash Orchestra, Midwestern Hayride, Kenny Price, Colleen Sharp, Marian Spellman, Rob Reider, Randy Weidner and from Columbus, remember Spook Beckman, Hugh DeMoss, or even Lex Mayer ?

Regarding Bob Braun singing on either American Bandstand or one of Dick Clark's variety shows I'm not sure. I do know he actually had a song make the Top 40 charts which surprised me. The song was " Till Death Do Us Part" which reached # 26 in 1962.
I do have quite a bit of history on American Bandstand but could find no record of him making an appearance on Bandstand, maybe you saw him on one of Clark's other variety shows ?? I will tell you that Dick Clark was once a guest on The Bob Braun Show and that is mentioned in the WLW book which also refers to Dick Clark as a good friend of Bob Braun, so who knows. I just looked at a website online about AB and there are 3 listings where Bob Braun appeared on AB, 10/9/62, 3/14/64, and 3/13/71. The book "The Official History of AB" shows a listing of every episode and Braun is not listed, so I'm not sure if the other source lists if his song was played or if he actually appeared and lip-synched it as most guests did ???? In any case, sounds to me like you didn't imagine this, maybe there is a YouTube out there somewhere. One thing I do know for a fact is that I do not own any recordings or videos of Bob Braun in my collection, the last time I saw him I think he was doing an infomercial for Kraftmatic Beds at about 3:00 am. . . .to be continued,maybe.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 03-06-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 07:36 PM
All Ohio

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, the old black and white console tv set in the corner of the living room. My mom liked the lights off and so it would be. Viceroy and Pall Mall smoke wafting through the air. My mom would fly off the coach like a snake if she saw a moth (or miller) fly by the screen. My parents were great in that they were totally consistent. Stayed together, dad a laborer on the r.r., I use to go home and eat lunch when I was in grade school, no crossing guards, monitors,- just me hustling along to eat and watch a 30-minute episode of Concentration with Hugh Downs. If I hurried I could get back for 30 minutes of recess. Remember? My folks put out a garden, never drank, never owned a new car and, as I said on one of these a while back, never owned a car with a radio!!!

My dad would drive me and my friends anywhere. He was the only father in my group that was "working class" and yet he would drop us off and pick us up from the movies, picking up my friends and dropping them off, and he would drive us to away basketball games when we were 10-14, or so. He was 43 when I was born and - although - not sporty - always available with a buck or two, an extra buck for the Star Theater or help of any kind. I came home many times to find a broken bike all repaired and ready to go, sitting in its usual spot. He built me high jump standards once because I mentioned liking the sport.

Mom was a killer cook with a ringer washer. I can recall strongly to this day coming in on cold winter evenings, light snow falling, from sledding or, maybe, basketball practice and the smell of chili or vegtable soup steaming away in the kitchen, with both parents milling around in the kitchen. Very nice.

Because I had three older siblings, the closest in age being 15 years older, I was pretty much raised by wolves. I had total freedom in the great village of Upper Sandusky, more or less when it came to movies during the week or fishing at the river or park pond late at night. On Thursdays in the summer, the merchants would pony up some cash for the Star and we could get in for cartoons, Three Stooges, etc., that afternoon for a dime.

I was on my bike constantly. I coveted four things: bike, transistor radios, fishing equipment and a new basketball every spring. Upper had the three (or four) necessities that any small town boy wanted: Pool, river, movie theater and park (with a pond).
I always had a bike but had to help buy the only new one I ever had (Schwinn Flying Star) bought at our local Moore's Store.

Enough of all that or I'll freak out totally and not be able to get back. I did know about Jimmy Crumb and Mansfield but did not know of Avis LaVerne. What a show business name that is! Certainly better than "Crumb". "Avis LaVerne and Her Vanishing Pigeons!"

I remember the following people well: Bonnie Lou, Nick Clooney (uncle to George and sister to Rosemary?). Wasn't Kenny Price a country star. Spook use to do great commercials - real folksy like: "Hi folks, Spook Beckman here". I had always heard that Hugh DeMoss got around Columbus quite a bit (just dawned on me that he looked very much like Dean Wormer!).

I saved Lex Mayer for last. My friends and I watched the wrestling shows out of Toledo and Columbus every week. I actually took dates to The Marion Coliseum to watch Big Time Wrestling. We loved it! Lex Mayer's show room or something like it. Three rows of bleachers and people off the street as the audience. The Toledo guys who did it were the Bronde brothers, Phil and Don. They were famous in their commercials for smashing the windows in the cars ("We're smashing prices at Bronde's Ford. Try us; you'll like us").

Remember the late night Woody Hayes's Show with team members on Channel 10? Then I think WOSU would do a one hour rebroadcast of the game, with Kaye Kessler or Hugh something. Right before the cable explosion. Of course, Dave Koehler is from Upper. His brother, a year older than me, still runs the family pharmacy here. Flippo, the afternoon movie for awhile, and Popeye cartoons, Chiller Theater which scared the hell out of me and was a mainstay at sleep overs. Fritz. The perfect Friday night fun.

All a big part of this sweet, sweet, sometimes sad existence called life. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Last edited by Bevo; 03-06-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

Bevo,

Great stuff ! Reading those glimpses of your formative years is like watching a trilogy of snippets from The Waltons, The Wonder Years, with a "Christmas Story" ( you'll shoot your eye out) chaser .

Interesting that the first new bike you ever bought was a Schwinn Flying Star and my first new bike ( paper route savings) was Schwinn Traveler. Kind of ironic that yours came from a Moore's Store, indirectly helping pay Sally Flower's salary.

You know a while back I was telling my grandkids how we all used to ride our bikes downtown to one of the 4 movie theatres that Newark had on the Square and none of us owned a bike lock and we parked our bikes, along with dozens of others and I never knew anyone who ever had their bike stolen. 1. They have none ever rode their bikes "downtown", 2. They have never gone to the movies without an adult, 3.They all assumed each of the 4 theatres on the Newark Square was one of those 12 theatre complexes like the ones we have nowadays, and 4. Really blew their minds when they learned it was a quarter for a ticket, candy bar was a nickel, popcorn 10 cents and we usually saw a double feature with a cartoon and a newsreel.

We ended our conversation with what we all did for fun before video games and that really got some puzzled looks !

JB
Old 03-08-17, 07:02 PM
All Ohio

JB or anyone else, I head song in the Martini Lounge this afternoon that I recall but can't name. It very much has a musical sound to it but I think it came out in the late 60's or early 70's as a top 40 type of tune. The refrain is something like "It's 1900 again".
Old 03-08-17, 09:30 PM
All Ohio

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Is this it?

Some interesting comments on the page.

1900 Yesterday - Liz Damon's Orient Express
Old 03-08-17, 09:35 PM
All Ohio

Eagle Guy - YES! Great job!! I remember the song but I don't know what I was listening to back then to have heard it. Top 40 radio?
Old 03-08-17, 10:01 PM
All Ohio

Eagle Guy,

Excellent, coming up with that blast from the past. A definite One Hit Wonder from '71.

JB
Old 03-08-17, 10:19 PM
All Ohio

Probably top 40 as that seems to be what we listened to back then. I know there are many genres today, but was there much else back then? Maybe country, motown and folk and...?

As best I can recall, this is the first time I have heard this song since ~1970. Very nice.
Old 03-11-17, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

Came across "Here's Where The Story Ends" by The Sundays. Very nice. Over a million views on Google so I am impossibly late to the group. (Not at all unusual anymore!)

I liked it; check out the video along with the tune.
Old 03-11-17, 10:28 PM
All Ohio

One of the comments said the singer had an angelic voice. I second that. On top of that, I saw an angelic face. First time hearing this nice song. Thanks.
Old 03-18-17, 07:14 PM
All Ohio

"Hail, hail rock and roll!" rip Chuck Berry at age 90.

Last edited by Bevo; 03-18-17 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 09:39 PM
All Ohio

RIP

Time marches on. Stay healthy!
Old 03-19-17, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

More on seminal rocker, Chuck Berry. I really was never a big fan because I was the right age for the British Invasion and everything that followed. Having said that though, one can't dismiss the early guys' contributions to basically inventing and creating a new genre of music. Doesn't really matter if it was part blues, country, gospel, Dixie or whatever - the mix was just right for rock and roll. Elvis, Chuck, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and others were working their mojo out on the new sound.

Anyone who has read about rock over the past fifty years, has read that Chuck could be difficult and he had prison and jail sentences for a myriad of indiscretions (crimes); although, much of this is dripping in racial tones. But, he was certainly respected by the players who came right after him - The Stones, The Beatles, etc., to name two monster groups. Keith Richards idolized him.

Chuck Berry was the first performer inducted into the Rock Hall, which shows the reverence with which he was held.

I would guess that being a Black rocker in the mid 50's was very difficult. That might explain some of the anger ...or all of it. Don't know.

Top singles by Chuck Berry:

Maybellene - 1955
Roll Over Bethoven - 1956
School Day (Ring, Ring Goes The Bell) - 1957
Rock % Roll Music - 1957
Sweet Little Sixteen/Reelin' and Rockin' - 1958
Johnny B. Goode - 1958
Merry Christmas Baby - 1958
Back in the USA/Memphis, Tennessee - 1959
Sweet Little Sixteen (again) - 1962
Nadine - 1964
No Particular Place to Go - 1964
My Ding-A-Ling - 1972

You may recall a very long time ago on SNL, when a skit was done about the Voyager space craft being sent off into infinity. The cargo included some basic drawings of humans, some renderings of chemical formulae, etc. And, they sent along a audio copy of Johnny B. Goode.

The nature of the skit was that Voyager had made contact with aliens light years away and now they were sending their first message to earth.

The message read: "Send more Chuck Berry."

That pretty much sums it up. RIP - to a true pioneer - Chuck Berry

Last edited by Bevo; 03-19-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 12:08 AM
All Ohio

Bevo,

Nice list of Chuck Berry's top singles. I would make one addition to the list and that happens to be the tune " You Never Can Tell ". While not as well known as many of the classic Chuck Berry hits on your list, I'll bet many people would instantly recognize " You Never Can Tell" if they ever saw the Tarantino classic, "Pulp Fiction".

This was the song that was featured in the "Jack Rabbit Slim's" Twist Contest as John Travolta and Uma Thurman danced their way to the first place trophy. The dance scene where Travolta re-introduced the dance called the "Batman" where he slid two fingers across his eyes representing a Batman or Lone Ranger style mask. Perhaps one of the coolest moves ever seen on the dance floor. The song had these great lines about "They furnished off an apartment with a two room Roebuck sale and the coolerator was filled with TV Dinners and Ginger Ale, but when Pierre found work the little money coming in worked out well. C'est La Vie say the old folks, It shows You Never Can Tell ".

I know you read lots of biographies and autobiographies,and I'm wondering if you ever read Chuck Berry's autobiography ? It 's a very interesting read. The book is worth reading if just for the foreword by Bruce Springsteen. The story the Boss relates is exactly the same interview he told about in the movie : "Hail, Hail Rock n Roll" produced by Keith Richards and it's a classic tale. I've got a copy of the movie on an old VHS tape and I haven't seen it in many years, but have to dig it out and see if the VCR still works.

Chuck Berry was not just a rock icon, he was THE rock Icon. In my opinion he created rock n roll.

JB
Old 03-20-17, 04:58 AM
All Ohio

I saw the movie; never read the bio. I'll run it down. Reading one on another icon right now: James Brown.
Old 03-22-17, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

A couple of times on here during this "endless tour of reflections and comments" we have spoken of Chuck Barris. For some of us The Gong Show, Make Me Laugh and other early 70's shows were a touch point in our education/coaching careers and were our reward for surviving another day; for others it was just the right amount of lunancy at that time in our lives.

Now, Chuck has passed away at the age of 87 and I am reminded of how much goofiness and fun he brought into my life back in his hey day.
If Chuck didn't invent the term "laid back" he certainly perfected its look. Shuffling out on stage in a funny but somehow cool hat, he led the parade of terrible acts along with the likes of Jaye P., Rip , Gene, Gene The Dancing Machien, The Unknown Comic, etc. through a farcical 30 minutes of whatever it was they were doing.

I liked it. A lot.

Thanks Chuckie Baby. RIP- Chuck Barris
Old 03-22-17, 10:39 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Now, Chuck has passed away at the age of 87 and I am reminded of how much goofiness and fun he brought into my life back in his hey day.
If Chuck didn't invent the term "laid back" he certainly perfected its look. Shuffling out on stage in a funny but somehow cool hat, he led the parade of terrible acts along with the likes of Jaye P., Rip , Gene, Gene The Dancing Machien, The Unknown Comic, etc. through a farcical 30 minutes of whatever it was they were doing.

I liked it. A lot.

Thanks Chuckie Baby. RIP- Chuck Barris
Yes, RIP Chuck Berry and Chuck Barris! As usual, lots of good stuff has been posted, especially concerning Chuck Berry.

Let's not forget Rip Taylor from "The Gong Show" or the fact that Chuck Barris actually composed a rock and roll song that became a Top 10 hit. The song, "Palisades Park", was performed by Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon:

ROCK ON!
Old 03-23-17, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Saw that the byline location for the Chuck Barris' stories the last few days, has been Palisades' New York. I guess Chuck came by the song honestly. It's a great tune. I put it in some obscure category of rock with a very unusual sound. Of course, that would apply to many. It's "the hook".

That would make another great trivia category: Unusual song writers. I know Sonny Bono was a songwriter but not a real prolific one. If you write a song like "I gGot You Babe" you probably don't need to write many more.

But I was recalling that he was in on another early 60's tune and went "a searchin'". The song was "Needles and Pins" by the Searchers. Looks like three people wrote it - including the Dusty Springfield type, Jackie Deshannon, certainly a star in her own right.

For those still interested, the music quizzes will commence after the NCAA finals. Probably Wednesday of that week and should continue on well into May.
Old 03-23-17, 06:24 PM
All Ohio

Thought I would do a little research on Jackie DeShannon. She is now 75 years old and is still very viable in the business.
To review, Jackie was somewhat of a prodigy and was actually on tv in the early and mid 50's.
She worked and knew well Elvis and The Everly Brothers. She was the opening act for The Beatles on their first tour in the U.S.
She is a noteworthy songwriter and had a song writing partnership with Jimmy Page and wrote for The Byrds, Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney, and Marianne Faithful.

She had a monster hit in '65 with the Burt Bachrach, Hal David song, "What The world Needs Now". She had another huge hit with "Put A Little Love in Your Heart".
She worked with Annie Lennox in the 70's-80's and was a co-writer of the Kim Karnes' mega hit, "She's Got Bette Davis' Eyes".
Today she works with "Breakfast With The Beatles" and does promotional work for Ringo and Paul.
Major star - somewhat forgotten.

Two more great love , heart break songs from the 60's. Check out Cilia Black singing "Alfie" and "Anyone Who Had A Heart".
Old 03-23-17, 08:10 PM
Varsity

Diva is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the "1900 Yesterday" reference. I haven't heard or thought of that for many decades!

How have you all been? I have so much on my plate I can't keep it all straight, but it's all good. Went out to Utah last week for a few days with the hubby to see our daughter in her first fashion show at Utah Fashion Week. She's a designer now! She made 10 gowns. I couldn't get her to make more than one little skirt when she lived at home, and now she's making gowns like nobody's business! I love the surprises that life can bring.
Old 03-23-17, 08:18 PM
All Ohio

Diva - glad you have checked in with the boys. For awhile there about three of us were talking back and forth.
Sounds like all is well with the younger Divas. Update me - is the designer, also the singer from long ago? Either way, that's great!
Old 03-23-17, 08:30 PM
Varsity

Yes, it's her. She's having their second daughter in July.

You were the one who got me into the Huddle way back in the day when someone asked who she was when she sang the "Star Spangled Banner" before a basketball game starring her boyfriend Jake Diebler and his brother Jon. In fact, the whole darn team was pretty amazing! You correctly told people who she was. I read that and became member of the Huddle shortly thereafter. What a ride that was back then!

Last edited by Diva; 03-23-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 08:43 PM
Varsity

80greyhound, I would love to see your impersonation of Mick Jagger.

Johnstown Benny, I had no idea who the first choice was for "Gimme Shelter"!

I went to listen to "1900 Yesterday" and found "Love Can Make You Happy" on the sidebar. That was one of my favorite songs back in the day, even though they miss notes just a little bit throughout the song. They didn't have the capacity to change the mistakes easily like we do today. There is no excuse for off pitch today!

Two songs from when I was a youngster that I really love: "Walking in the Rain with the One I Love" and one you've never heard of unless you were in the Pacific Northwest in the 70s, "Welcome to the Rain".

They played at one of our church dances, and I never forgot it. I love the oldies.
Old 03-23-17, 08:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Thought I would do a little research on Jackie DeShannon. She is now 75 years old and is still very viable in the business.
To review, Jackie was somewhat of a prodigy and was actually on tv in the early and mid 50's.
She worked and knew well Elvis and The Everly Brothers. She was the opening act for The Beatles on their first tour in the U.S.
She is a noteworthy songwriter and had a song writing partnership with Jimmy Page and wrote for The Byrds, Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney, and Marianne Faithful.

She had a monster hit in '65 with the Burt Bachrach, Hal David song, "What The world Needs Now". She had another huge hit with "Put A Little Love in Your Heart".
She worked with Annie Lennox in the 70's-80's and was a co-writer of the Kim Karnes' mega hit, "She's Got Bette Davis' Eyes".
Today she works with "Breakfast With The Beatles" and does promotional work for Ringo and Paul.
Major star - somewhat forgotten.

Two more great love , heart break songs from the 60's. Check out Cilia Black singing "Alfie" and "Anyone Who Had A Heart".
Great info.

I like both songs noted above, but really like the music to AWHAH. And, I did not have to look up the lyrics to understand the song - a plus!
Old 03-26-17, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

Probably most of you are lovers of the American songbook. I am not real well versed in these tunes but I do like them.
Of countless Sinatra songs, here's a beauty: "One Upon A Time".

If you want to test the limits of your music appreciation, check out Dylan's version from last year.
Old 03-26-17, 06:36 PM
All Ohio

With the Final 4 now complete, we now interrupt this music discussion to slip in a basketball trivia question. Name the first coach to have coached in an NIT final game, an NCAA Final game and an NBA final game in his basketball coaching career.

JB
Old 03-26-17, 06:59 PM
All District

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
With the Final 4 now complete, we now interrupt this music discussion to slip in a basketball trivia question. Name the first coach to have coached in an NIT final game, an NCAA Final game and an NBA final game in his basketball coaching career.

JB
Assuming you obviously mean a head coach.

Hubie Brown ?

or Larry Brown ?
Old 03-26-17, 07:30 PM
All Ohio

Yes, the answer is a head coach. Not either of the Browns.

JB
Old 03-27-17, 09:14 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
With the Final 4 now complete, we now interrupt this music discussion to slip in a basketball trivia question. Name the first coach to have coached in an NIT final game, an NCAA Final game and an NBA final game in his basketball coaching career.JB
"JB" - Great question! I have to go with your "home boy", Fred Schaus.

ROCK ON!
Old 03-27-17, 12:24 PM
All Ohio

OWK,

There are only a few certainties in life: death and taxes as everyone says, plus the obvious according to "Annie" that the sun will come up tomorrow, but I think OWK knowing the answer to a basketball trivia question belongs in this same conversation.

Yes, my man Fred Schaus has the honor of being the first head coach to coach in an NIT Final game, an NCAA Final game, and in an NBA Final game and he is a grad of Newark HS where as a player he led the Wildcats to a state championship in 1943 his senior year. Being a war year, he served in the Navy from 1943-1946 and then attended West Virginia University where he became an All-American player in 1949 and was also student body president. Upon graduation he played professional basketball from 1949-1954 with the Ft Wayne Pistons, and New York Knicks and played in the first NBA All-Star game on 1951.

He later served as head coach of West Virginia from 1954-1960. At WVU, led by Jerry West, he took the Mountaineers to the NCAA Final game before losing to California in the 1959 final game. This was essentially the same Cal team that Ohio State beat for the national championship the next season.

Fred was also head coach and VP for the LA Lakers from 1960-1973 and was head coach
and Ast. AD at Purdue from 1973-1980 and he completed his athletic career as AD at West Virginia from 1981-1989. His Purdue team won the NIT in 1974 and his Lakers team lost in the 1962 NBA finals.

And the final piece of Fred Schaus trivia is the fact my mother went to HS with him.

Good job, OWK, I knew that as soon as you saw the question you would come up with the answer. . . .we now return you to your regularly scheduled American Songbook topic.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: