Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-17, 03:25 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I can not imagine Columbus City Schools closing 7-9 high schools.
Agreed. Not happening.
Old 03-02-17, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Wow. Foreshadowing the Mercy/McAuley news today.
I promise I knew nothing about it beforehand. I was surprised it took so long to be honest. The numbers just aren't there any longer to sustain all these schools with such low enrollments in such a small compact geographic area. The numbers I've heard for Elder's freshman class are alarmingly low. Well over 50 students less than the smallest incoming class they've ever had. Someone is dropping the ball big-time over there.
Old 03-02-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Cuyahoga County (and surrounding counties) Catholic high schools

Cuyahoga

Beaumont
Benedictine
Cleveland Central Catholic
Ed's
Gilmour
Holy Name
Ignatius
Padua
St. Joseph Academy
Magnificat
St. Martin de Porres
Trinity
VASJ

Lake

Lake Catholic

Geauga

NDCL

Summit

Walsh Jesuit
Hoban
SV/SM

Lorain

Elyria Catholic

Cleveland area is buttressed by the Cleveland voucher, which can now be used by students who live in Cleveland and attend Ignatius, SJA, Benny, VASJ, Mag's, Ed's, Martin de Porres and I think Trinity, Holy Name and Padua as well.

There are some weak Catholic high schools. At the moment, Trinity looks to be stuggling; ditto Beaumont. Benny and VASJ are smallish but seem to be stable. The Big 4 on the West side are all strong (Ed's, Ignatius, SJA, Mag's) as are the Akron 3 and NDCL. Lake Catholic is fading a bit.
Old 03-03-17, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Cincinnati City to close up to 6 high schools? how about a source, because something is lost in your translation
Mercy and McAuley just merged into 1 school
Old 03-03-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
Mercy and McAuley just merged into 1 school
Private Catholic schools are not Cincinnati Public.
Old 03-03-17, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
I promise I knew nothing about it beforehand. I was surprised it took so long to be honest. The numbers just aren't there any longer to sustain all these schools with such low enrollments in such a small compact geographic area. The numbers I've heard for Elder's freshman class are alarmingly low. Well over 50 students less than the smallest incoming class they've ever had. Someone is dropping the ball big-time over there.
They've got to do something about the cost and dramatically expand aid to everyone who wants to send a kid to one of our schools.
Old 03-03-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
They've got to do something about the cost and dramatically expand aid to everyone who wants to send a kid to one of our schools.
I think the biggest problem is Elder needs to sell the school much better than they do. The schools they are competing for students with are all very aggressive now in their marketing, even the public schools. The old guard over there is still stuck in that line of thinking that Elder sells itself and kids want to go to Elder just because it's Elder. That's true for some, but nothing like it used to be. I hear LaSalle has over 50 more freshman enrolled for next year than Elder does. That is a really bad sign for the school.
Old 03-18-17, 03:57 AM
Junior Varsity

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
If I read it right, Cleveland John Marshall's homepages says this is their last graduating class.
Old 03-18-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
If I read it right, Cleveland John Marshall's homepages says this is their last graduating class.
Marshall has a brand new building. It's not closing. I read what you referenced. If you read more, elsewhere, the school appears to be re-purposing itself in some ways, becoming 3 schools under one roof, which is a common approach in Cleveland.
Old 03-19-17, 11:22 PM
Varsity

TitanPower is on a distinguished road
Valley Forge and Normandy in the Parma City Schools will be closed. It was supposed to be both schools final year this year, with all 3 schools, Parma, Normandy and Valey Forge combining. 10-12 at Parma Senior 6-9 at Valley Forge and Normandy. However it was passed for one more year the schools will be open.
Old 03-25-17, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
Just across the State line from most MAC and CCC towns, in Indiana, is an example of consolidation negatively effecting the communities.
In Jay County, there use to be around 7 schools. In the 70s the communities reluctantly agreed to consolidate into two schools, East Jay in Portland, and West Jay (more than likely) between Dunkirk and Redkey.
There was an interesting turn of events when the plans for one singular school for the county were finalized. And in the wake of this, most of these communities like Redkey, Salamonia, Dunkirk, Penville and Bryant have lost their identity.
In the gyms of Jay County and South Adams, you can still see the old banners of the past schools.
My wife graduated from Jay County in 1985. She went to Madison for elementary. Jay County is very small but spread out quite a bit.
Old 04-01-17, 08:06 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post

Cuyahoga

Beaumont

Benedictine

Ed's

Gilmour

Holy Name

Ignatius

Padua

St. Joseph Academy

Magnificat

St. Martin de Porres

Trinity

VASJ

Lake

Lake Catholic

Geauga

NDCL

Summit

Walsh Jesuit

Hoban

SV/SM

Lorain

Elyria Catholic

Cleveland area is buttressed by the Cleveland voucher, which can now be used by students who live in Cleveland and attend Ignatius, SJA, Benny, VASJ, Mag's, Ed's, Martin de Porres and I think Trinity, Holy Name and Padua as well.

There are some weak Catholic high schools. At the moment, Trinity looks to be stuggling; ditto Beaumont. Benny and VASJ are smallish but seem to be stable. The Big 4 on the West side are all strong (Ed's, Ignatius, SJA, Mag's) as are the Akron 3 and NDCL. Lake Catholic is fading a bit.

Our Lady of the Elms in Akron is going strong as well I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-17, 02:58 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Our Lady of the Elms in Akron is going strong as well I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh, middle school recruiting must be brutal.
Old 04-21-17, 09:53 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
St. Wendelin already said no football next year now it will be no HS.

Quote:
St. Wendelin High School to close
Posted On Fri. Apr 21st, 2017
By : The Courier

In an email sent this afternoon to parents, staff and students, the Rev. Todd Dominique confirmed the closure of the St. Wendelin High School, effective June 30.

According to the email, St. Wendelin will operate a K-8 elementary/middle school at the North Countyline Street building for the 2017-2018 academic year. Those students will then transition to the old Wood Street school for the 2018-2019 year.

The Wood Street facility will be prepped in the interim — set for opening by March 2018 for preregistration and an open house.

In the email, St. Wendelin leadership cited many reasons for closing the high school, including the high costs of operating the Countyline Street building.

“In reviewing St. Wendelin’s parish finances, current and projected school enrollment numbers, fundraising efforts and capital expenditure needs for both the parish and school, (the St. Wendelin Parish Finance Council, the St. Wendelin Catholic Schools Education Foundation Board, parish and school administration and Diocesan officials) recommended that the closure is the only course of action that is prudent, fair and responsible for the St. Wendelin parish family,” the statement said.

“We deeply regret having to make this decision; however, we are convinced that it is the right decision, given the present circumstances and future projections,” the statement continued. “We know there will be many questions and needs during this transition time; we will do our best to assist all. We are grateful to God for the many years that we have been able to serve Him in our parish through our Catholic high school. We give thanks for our families, students, faculty, staff, and benefactors. We look forward with optimism that God is with us in this next chapter of Catholic education at St. Wendelin.”

Dominique said that the future of the parish’s Countyline Street building and property would be considered in the future.

Parish and school administrators will be working closely with Calvert Catholic Schools in Tiffin and St. Joseph Central Catholic School in Fremont to transition students currently in grades 8 through 11.
Old 04-22-17, 08:48 AM
Varsity

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the biggest problem is Elder needs to sell the school much better than they do. The schools they are competing for students with are all very aggressive now in their marketing, even the public schools. The old guard over there is still stuck in that line of thinking that Elder sells itself and kids want to go to Elder just because it's Elder. That's true for some, but nothing like it used to be. I hear LaSalle has over 50 more freshman enrolled for next year than Elder does. That is a really bad sign for the school.
Would the problem be that Elder isn't in the best of neighborhoods?
Old 04-30-17, 09:22 AM
Varsity

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
My wife graduated from Jay County in 1985. She went to Madison for elementary. Jay County is very small but spread out quite a bit.
Still think they could definitely do 2 schools if not 3 small schools. Jay County is 4A which is the upper middle of football classes. They could do 2 2A schools which would probably mirror their current middle school set up of West Jay and East Jay. Still think they should have done 3 1A schools of either North, Central , South/ or West, Central, East. I'd do the first setup to setup by townships. North Jay could be in Bryant. Central Jay in Portland. South Jay in Redkey or some location S of Portland on 27.
As for your quoted portion of another poster, South Adams made sense, as it did for my alma mater Adams Central, and our other county rival Bellmont (North Adams). It was basically 12 super small township schools needing to consolidate into 3. Wells and Adams Counties that border Jay Co to the north, have 4 1/2A sized schools and 2 3A schools for the 6 districts in the 2 counties.
Old 05-02-17, 12:23 PM
Varsity

smashmouth56 is on a distinguished road
you have to look at this topic in two ways, metro and county

the metro the closing of a school is not as big to the community. the busing times would not be as bad. football wise it would be schools in a much larger divsion they may not be able to compete in.

in the county view, closing a school in a small town effectively kills that town, in that parents with kids are less likely to move in or stay. also in the county busing times would be terrible.

Old 05-02-17, 11:01 PM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Beallsville High School will close soon. They will likely be absorbed by Hannibal River and Woodsfield Monroe Central. It's one district with a total of population of about 13,000.
Old 05-03-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have no dog in the fight here but just from someone who notices marketing ...

LaSalle seems to be a lot more active and aggressive in their promotion and ad campaigning. Granted I don't go over to Delhi, Cleves and the other river communities too often but I frequent Green Township, Cheviot and Westwood and the Elder visibility isn't as high.

Of course it may just be the roads I travel etc. and someone else may feel the opposite way.

To those closer to Elder-do you think there is a bit of laurel resting, thinking "we're Elder, the boys will come to us?"

As long as St. X keeps their academics so strong they won't struggle for enrollment too much, IMHO.

Either way private schools have to work harder than ever now for enrollment. Many were built and opened at a time when the population was there to support it. Cash strapped schools have to spend money like never before to keep their brand out there. Challenging times and I just don't think everyone will survive unfortunately.
Old 05-03-17, 02:40 PM
Varsity

smashmouth56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by algernonsidney View Post
Beallsville High School will close soon. They will likely be absorbed by Hannibal River and Woodsfield Monroe Central. It's one district with a total of population of about 13,000.
that is a shame if people want to see the result of closing a small school on a town, go down to Sistersville on the West Virginia side. It nearly killed the town for getting people to move in
Old 05-03-17, 05:43 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmouth56 View Post
that is a shame if people want to see the result of closing a small school on a town, go down to Sistersville on the West Virginia side. It nearly killed the town for getting people to move in
Have a look at villages in central Ohio that used to have schools, Marion, Morrow, Delaware and Union counties for example and the picture becomes even more clear.
Old 05-04-17, 12:03 AM
Junior Varsity

BearcatBengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post

Cuyahoga

Beaumont
Benedictine
Ed's
Gilmour
Holy Name
Ignatius
Padua
St. Joseph Academy
Magnificat
St. Martin de Porres
Trinity
VASJ

Lake

Lake Catholic

Geauga

NDCL

Summit

Walsh Jesuit
Hoban
SV/SM

Lorain

Elyria Catholic

If I am not mistaken Lake catholic is bringing in some of their largest classes but the percentage of students is starting to lean much more heavily to females.
Old 05-04-17, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
There was a piece on Cleveland.com discussing the situation that the Parma City Schools will be facing since the levy failed on Tuesday. It once again appears that high school consolidation conversations will be back on the table.
Old 05-05-17, 09:16 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
The Columbus suburbs are getting bigger around 270. The inner city has 16 schools that participate in sports. If they try to put 800 to 1000 students in each school the sports teams will be competing with these big DI suburb schools and will get crushed, but that is what most people want for the city league schools to fail. What they should do is combine schools like Walnut Ridge with Independence. Eastmoor Academy with Africentric, Mifflin with Beechcroft, Northland with Linden-Mckinley, Centennial with Whetstone, South and East, Briggs with Marion Franklin, and International with West. That will make 8 high schools if they combine. Will make it interesting as far as sports, but might hurt with jobs.
Old 05-05-17, 11:04 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
Will make it interesting as far as sports, but might hurt with jobs.
Schools are not in business to employ as many people as possible.
Old 05-05-17, 12:33 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
The Columbus suburbs are getting bigger around 270. The inner city has 16 schools that participate in sports. If they try to put 800 to 1000 students in each school the sports teams will be competing with these big DI suburb schools and will get crushed, but that is what most people want for the city league schools to fail. What they should do is combine schools like Walnut Ridge with Independence. Eastmoor Academy with Africentric, Mifflin with Beechcroft, Northland with Linden-Mckinley, Centennial with Whetstone, South and East, Briggs with Marion Franklin, and International with West. That will make 8 high schools if they combine. Will make it interesting as far as sports, but might hurt with jobs.
I have been following the Columbus City Schools discussion closely, since my son is a CCS student, other kids are graduates and my wife teachers there. One thing people are overlooking is that the enrollment targets CCS initially set out assumed that the schools would be 7-12 schools. Some of the schools are already that way (Africentric is K-12, Lindem, International and South are already 7-12). There has been push back against this idea however. The surveys indicate people generally are more likely to support K-5, 6-8 and 9-12 schools. Sports really hasn't been a huge part of the discussion except as it pertains to cost of operating a school. (Sports teams really are not that big a percentage of the operating costs.) In any event, it seems likely that some of the high schools will end up being combined but I would doubt that the some of the more specialized programs (International, Africentric, Eastmoor) do that. Though it is possible that there will be some merging of programs under one roof.
Old 05-06-17, 10:17 AM
All District

Champ Kind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Schools are not in business to employ as many people as possible.
That is correct, that is one of the unions' objectives.
Old 05-07-17, 03:16 PM
Freshman

osubman2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
For large cities, I just think that is way too small.
If you shrink the school feeder foot print you decrease transportation costs

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-17, 12:47 PM
Freshman

KniteFlyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by algernonsidney View Post
Yes. This caused a sheet storm in 2015 when the BOE tired to close it the 1st time. Of course, the judge intervened and ruled to keep the school open because the BOE violated the Sunshine Law. Duh!

In all reality, it should have been closed 2 years ago, but when you can't or don't play by the rules......
Old 05-09-17, 05:39 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
It is only a rumor that 2017-2018 will be last year for Beallsville. With courts involved, I'll believe it when I see it.