Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-17, 03:25 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I can not imagine Columbus City Schools closing 7-9 high schools.
Agreed. Not happening.
Old 03-02-17, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Wow. Foreshadowing the Mercy/McAuley news today.
I promise I knew nothing about it beforehand. I was surprised it took so long to be honest. The numbers just aren't there any longer to sustain all these schools with such low enrollments in such a small compact geographic area. The numbers I've heard for Elder's freshman class are alarmingly low. Well over 50 students less than the smallest incoming class they've ever had. Someone is dropping the ball big-time over there.
Old 03-02-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Cuyahoga County (and surrounding counties) Catholic high schools

Cuyahoga

Beaumont
Benedictine
Cleveland Central Catholic
Ed's
Gilmour
Holy Name
Ignatius
Padua
St. Joseph Academy
Magnificat
St. Martin de Porres
Trinity
VASJ

Lake

Lake Catholic

Geauga

NDCL

Summit

Walsh Jesuit
Hoban
SV/SM

Lorain

Elyria Catholic

Cleveland area is buttressed by the Cleveland voucher, which can now be used by students who live in Cleveland and attend Ignatius, SJA, Benny, VASJ, Mag's, Ed's, Martin de Porres and I think Trinity, Holy Name and Padua as well.

There are some weak Catholic high schools. At the moment, Trinity looks to be stuggling; ditto Beaumont. Benny and VASJ are smallish but seem to be stable. The Big 4 on the West side are all strong (Ed's, Ignatius, SJA, Mag's) as are the Akron 3 and NDCL. Lake Catholic is fading a bit.
Old 03-03-17, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

Jowsepi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Cincinnati City to close up to 6 high schools? how about a source, because something is lost in your translation
Mercy and McAuley just merged into 1 school
Old 03-03-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowsepi View Post
Mercy and McAuley just merged into 1 school
Private Catholic schools are not Cincinnati Public.
Old 03-03-17, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
I promise I knew nothing about it beforehand. I was surprised it took so long to be honest. The numbers just aren't there any longer to sustain all these schools with such low enrollments in such a small compact geographic area. The numbers I've heard for Elder's freshman class are alarmingly low. Well over 50 students less than the smallest incoming class they've ever had. Someone is dropping the ball big-time over there.
They've got to do something about the cost and dramatically expand aid to everyone who wants to send a kid to one of our schools.
Old 03-03-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
They've got to do something about the cost and dramatically expand aid to everyone who wants to send a kid to one of our schools.
I think the biggest problem is Elder needs to sell the school much better than they do. The schools they are competing for students with are all very aggressive now in their marketing, even the public schools. The old guard over there is still stuck in that line of thinking that Elder sells itself and kids want to go to Elder just because it's Elder. That's true for some, but nothing like it used to be. I hear LaSalle has over 50 more freshman enrolled for next year than Elder does. That is a really bad sign for the school.
Old 03-18-17, 03:57 AM
Freshman

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
If I read it right, Cleveland John Marshall's homepages says this is their last graduating class.
Old 03-18-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
If I read it right, Cleveland John Marshall's homepages says this is their last graduating class.
Marshall has a brand new building. It's not closing. I read what you referenced. If you read more, elsewhere, the school appears to be re-purposing itself in some ways, becoming 3 schools under one roof, which is a common approach in Cleveland.
Old 03-19-17, 11:22 PM
Varsity

TitanPower is on a distinguished road
Valley Forge and Normandy in the Parma City Schools will be closed. It was supposed to be both schools final year this year, with all 3 schools, Parma, Normandy and Valey Forge combining. 10-12 at Parma Senior 6-9 at Valley Forge and Normandy. However it was passed for one more year the schools will be open.
Old 03-25-17, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
Just across the State line from most MAC and CCC towns, in Indiana, is an example of consolidation negatively effecting the communities.
In Jay County, there use to be around 7 schools. In the 70s the communities reluctantly agreed to consolidate into two schools, East Jay in Portland, and West Jay (more than likely) between Dunkirk and Redkey.
There was an interesting turn of events when the plans for one singular school for the county were finalized. And in the wake of this, most of these communities like Redkey, Salamonia, Dunkirk, Penville and Bryant have lost their identity.
In the gyms of Jay County and South Adams, you can still see the old banners of the past schools.
My wife graduated from Jay County in 1985. She went to Madison for elementary. Jay County is very small but spread out quite a bit.