Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-17, 09:36 AM
All Region

skyvue
TV Coverage of the the state finals games

It seems as though STO will not be covering the finals. Just like football, the games appear to only be on Time Warner cable? How ridiculous is this? What percentage of Ohio households have Time Warner cable? Here in Northeastern Ohio it means I won't even be able to go out to a sport bar and see them because nobody around here has TWC.

Anybody know of any streaming options? Can some enlighten me why OHSAA would choose to put their games on a station that most would not be able to see?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-17, 10:10 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
I know. It's a real let down after being able to watch in the past on STO. Bummed out.
Old 03-18-17, 10:32 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It seems as though STO will not be covering the finals. Just like football, the games appear to only be on Time Warner cable? How ridiculous is this? What percentage of Ohio households have Time Warner cable? Here in Northeastern Ohio it means I won't even be able to go out to a sport bar and see them because nobody around here has TWC.

Anybody know of any streaming options? Can some enlighten me why OHSAA would choose to put their games on a station that most would not be able to see?
In northeastern Ohio? I know local bars in Canton/Akron have TWC(now Spectrum) and showed the football Finals.
Old 03-18-17, 10:47 AM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
In northeastern Ohio? I know local bars in Canton/Akron have TWC(now Spectrum) and showed the football Finals.
I should have been more specific. In Cleveland and the near west side suburbs of Cleveland where I live, I have never seen any bars/restaurants with TWC (I have been in most of them)! Vast majority have DirectTV and the rest have Cox cable. My bigger point is unless you live in an area where TWC is the major cable provider, then you are not going to be able to see the games. Seems ridiculous that they would do something to hurt their ratings?

If anybody knows of any bars in the Cleveland area that will be able to show the games, please post.
Old 03-18-17, 10:57 AM
All World

It does suck, I bet TWC throws OHSAA a little money that the other providers aren't willing to.

You can also only stream from TWC(now Spectrum) just checked on the OHSAA website.
Old 03-18-17, 11:02 AM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
It does suck, I bet TWC throws OHSAA a little money that the other providers aren't willing to.

You can also only stream from TWC(now Spectrum) just checked on the OHSAA website.
I saw that, but you have to have your Spectrum login to be able to view it. In other words, already be a Spectrum customer (or get one to sen you their login and password... :0)
Old 03-18-17, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the bidding process, that's how you win. More $$$.

But the OHSAA should make sure that whatever channel broadcasts the games is available in the VAST majority of Ohio. That should be part of the specs for the contract. And make livestreaming available online for a nominal fee.
Old 03-18-17, 11:09 AM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
In the bidding process, that's how you win. More $$$.

But the OHSAA should make sure that whatever channel broadcasts the games is available in the VAST majority of Ohio. That should be part of the specs for the contract. And make livestreaming available online for a nominal fee.
The bidding rights aren't going to be worth much in the future when ratings stink due to most of Ohio can't see it!
Old 03-18-17, 11:43 AM
All Region

James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
that wont work

Quote:
I saw that, but you have to have your Spectrum login to be able to view it. In other words, already be a Spectrum customer (or get one to sen you their login and password... :0)
I have a friend who has spectrum cable.They never had the account necessary to stream on to all devices.So they let me form one so I could stream the games on my computer.I live 8 mi. away.The point of this is so you can watch your PAID PROGRAMMING on ANY DEVICE ANYWHERE,ANYTIME.Their ad shows a guy with a gym bag looking at streaming on his phone.Anyway,I already tried what you proposed for the football championships and Time Warner Sports Channel requires you to be at the LOCATION OF THE MODEM in order to stream the content of THAT CHANNEL.ALL OTHER channels on my friends system were watchable.WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I used to stream the NFL network etc from my dads house(at&t u-verse) to my location with no issues.Use the password and as long as he subscribed I was fine.Did this with HBO,ESPN 3,ETC.That was my ace in the hole when STO no longer carried the games this year.But time warner wont allow this. What good is streaming on all your devices if those devices must be at home with the modem?Again it only blocked the time warner sports station.She has a boatload of cable and all of it was available to stream here.Just not that.Try it though and maybe it will work.Just didn't back in Nov.
Old 03-18-17, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

blue60 is on a distinguished road
This is what Ohssa does. Not worry about kids or fans. All they worry about is how much money they can make for the Ohssa.
Old 03-19-17, 08:40 AM
All Region

skyvue
From the OHSAA website. OHSAA should be ashamed of themselves.

State Tournament TV and Radio Coverage
Spectrum Sports is the official television partner of the OHSAA and will televise the girls and boys basketball state championship games live. In addition, every game from the girls and boys state tournaments will be streamed live at http://www.myspectrumsports.com/ for Spectrum subscribers. The OHSAA Radio Network will broadcast every game of the girls and boys state tournaments. Details are posted at: http://ohsaa.org/news/radio which includes the link to listen to every game. Stations can contact Tim Stried for information about affiliate options.

Last edited by skyvue; 03-19-17 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 11:19 AM
All Region

skyvue
Anybody know of any bars in the Cleveland area that has Spectrum (TWC) cable?
Old 03-22-17, 11:33 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
This is what Ohssa does. Not worry about kids or fans. All they worry about is how much money they can make for the Ohssa.
We all agree this is it. Football and basketball revenues fund the ohsaa for the year.

I wonder how much the TV broadcasts cost ohsaa in ticket sales . By choosing a provider with limited broadcast area, do they think folks will purchase ticktes and return to the Schott?
Old 03-22-17, 11:49 AM
All Region

skyvue
I just found a thread on this same topic in the football forum. According to a couple posters on that thread, OHSAA is claiming STO dropped the package and didn't want to cover the games anymore. Not sure if I believe that or if STO just perhaps didn't agree to pay the price OHSAA was looking for?
Old 03-22-17, 11:51 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just found a thread on this same topic in the football forum. According to a couple posters on that thread, OHSAA is claiming STO dropped the package and didn't want to cover the games anymore. Not sure if I believe that or if STO just perhaps didn't agree to pay the price OHSAA was looking for?
It is true. STO wanted to shift the emphasis of their sports coverage and high school sports was no longer part of their business plan. OHSAA would have preferred to stick with STO for a lot of the reasons you are talking about.
Old 03-22-17, 12:14 PM
All World

I have been searching for bars/restaurants with Spectrum in Cleveland, no luck because most don't advertise what cable provider they use.

I would suggest calling some close to you and asking yourself. That's what I would do in your situation. I guarantee their is a place you could watch it.
Old 03-22-17, 01:43 PM
Freshman

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
In place of the OHSAA Boys Finals on Saturday you can watch the following fine programaning on STO:
10:45: Indians Rewind
2:00: Louisville vs NC State baseball
5:00: Ok. State vs Baylor baseball
8:00: Indians Rewind
One channel up you can watch the Michigan HS Bball finals and on Ch. 671, you can watch the Indian HS Bball finals.