Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-17, 09:09 AM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Lotr10 is absolutely ate up with a love of science stuff lol.
Old 02-02-17, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Lotr10 is absolutely ate up with a love of science stuff lol.
You bet I do! The Expanse is not only great Science Fiction it's great TV. Folks should check it out (and help the ratings).
Old 02-02-17, 05:13 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
You bet I do! The Expanse is not only great Science Fiction it's great TV. Folks should check it out (and help the ratings).
Just for you I'll check it out. I promise.
Old 02-09-17, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Episode 3 was very good and the story is starting to gather momentum big time. But I have to ask is anyone else watching this show?
Old 03-08-17, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

Back by popular demand (okay only 1 person asked) the Expanse Thread!

Season 2 is kicking butt and taking names. The story is hurtling along at breakneck speed (The Walking Dead writers could learn something watching this show) and firing on all cylinders IMO.

If you haven't watched this show yet, it will take you watching the first FOUR episodes of season 1 to get hooked. They throw a lot of characters at you and they assume you've read the books. But once you get to know the lead people in the show the story starts to fall into place.

I'm also halfway through the sixth book in the series "Babylon's Ashes" which is quit good so they have enough material to go a few more years if the series can draw enough ratings.
Old 03-08-17, 09:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Episode 3 was very good and the story is starting to gather momentum big time. But I have to ask is anyone else watching this show?
I'm watching this show but I'm two episodes behind right now due to switching cable providers (and losing what I DVR'd).

So I'm not reading your most recent post to avoid potential spoilers.

This show has definitely picked up. It was slowly building and when Eros started moving, it made the show that much more interesting. I'll probably watch the March 1st episode tomorrow night and then the March 8th in a couple of days. Then I will be able to read this thread and contribute more frequently.
Old 03-08-17, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Who DOESN'T look forward to dinner? As soon as I see them heading towards the kitchen, I know there's going to be some fun.

Yes the problems was first season, too much time trying to set up characters and too long getting around to what the heck was going on. I'll probably rewatch Season I, maybe it wasn't as slow as it felt. Now for sure, it's break neck and the visuals are outstanding. Best space battle ever.

I still do not like the lead though. He's dull, hard to see why anyone would look to him to lead. Just don't like the actor-character match. Amos' story however can't come fast enough and the play between him and Alex is the best part of the show (for me). The part I don't get, they brought in those Martians marines and just seemed to have dropped the ball, with a little exception at the end of last ep.

The funny part (spoilers avoided), I fell asleep during the episode on EROS, woke just at the end and go WHAT!!! I've watched the most recent, one of the best episodes in all quarters yet, politics, factions, fighting, relationships.... and still have to go watch that bit I slept through.
Old 03-08-17, 11:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Who DOESN'T look forward to dinner? As soon as I see them heading towards the kitchen, I know there's going to be some fun.

Yes the problems was first season, too much time trying to set up characters and too long getting around to what the heck was going on. I'll probably rewatch Season I, maybe it wasn't as slow as it felt. Now for sure, it's break neck and the visuals are outstanding. Best space battle ever.

I still do not like the lead though. He's dull, hard to see why anyone would look to him to lead. Just don't like the actor-character match. Amos' story however can't come fast enough and the play between him and Alex is the best part of the show (for me). The part I don't get, they brought in those Martians marines and just seemed to have dropped the ball, with a little exception at the end of last ep.

The funny part (spoilers avoided), I fell asleep during the episode on EROS, woke just at the end and go WHAT!!! I've watched the most recent, one of the best episodes in all quarters yet, politics, factions, fighting, relationships.... and still have to go watch that bit I slept through.
As the moral authority Holden is fated to be a bit dull throughout the series. I agree that the Amos/Alex interactions are funny as hell and represent the heart of the show. Like when the two are in a bar at Tycho Station and Amos tells Alex that he's "staying next door" and Alex looks at him funny and says "but that's a brothel" and Amos gives nonchalantly replies "yea I know".

The roles of both Amos & Alex grow as the books go on until they're equal to Holden & Naomi. The Martian Marine Bobby Draper will become a critical character and the events on Ganymede will be very important to the story going forward.
Old 03-09-17, 06:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amos/Alex interactions are funny as hell and represent the heart of the show. Like when the two are in a bar at Tycho Station and Amos tells Alex that he's "staying next door" and Alex looks at him funny and says "but that's a brothel" and Amos gives nonchalantly replies "yea I know".
The way Amos dead panned it had me rolling. Both actors nailing it, even tougher for Alex/Anvar playing a "Texan." Goes so much against the vision in the head of a "Texan."
Old 03-16-17, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Last nights episode reminded us of just how hard & ruthless Belters can be. This was also the episode where we meet the Botanist "Prax" from Ganymede. He will play a big role in upcoming episodes.

And again for all the action taking place in season 2 this TV show has barely scratched the service of events to come. Like I've said before the scope of the "Expanse" just keeps on expanding!
Old 03-18-17, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

The last five minutes are gold. They've reached Babylon 5 levels for depicting life in general. Alex' scene with the photograph, seeing THROUGH the photograph was pure genius. Amos also had a scene steal.

The two leads though, continue to lack any chemistry. That relationship just hadn't gelled for me and it's mostly on the lead. I can't recall a scene he's been in that that I felt "real" or emotional.

As for the plot in general: No way Miller is "dead," things are moving perfectly fast and the right guys got a bullet in the brain from the right person in the right manner. Enjoyed that.

How about that death in space scene? Saw it coming but wow.
Old 03-18-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
The last five minutes are gold. They've reached Babylon 5 levels for depicting life in general. Alex' scene with the photograph, seeing THROUGH the photograph was pure genius. Amos also had a scene steal.

The two leads though, continue to lack any chemistry. That relationship just hadn't gelled for me and it's mostly on the lead. I can't recall a scene he's been in that that I felt "real" or emotional.

As for the plot in general: No way Miller is "dead," things are moving perfectly fast and the right guys got a bullet in the brain from the right person in the right manner. Enjoyed that.

How about that death in space scene? Saw it coming but wow.
That was the best depiction of a death in hard vacuum I have seen. Not spectacularly gory but subtly disturbing. The way shes moving her mouth in a silent scream is chilling. The belters are hard core that's for sure.

The scene in which Fred's security chief shoots the two guys in the head after they retook Tyko Station's bridge was brilliant. She's one tough lady and it was in keeping with the ruthless belter response when you cross them.
Old 03-22-17, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Wife and I just started watching this show. 4 episodes in and we are hooked.

The middle to end of episode four (where the Martian ship is being attacked and boarded) reminded me 100% of the Pillar of Autumn first level of the original Halo campaign.
Old 03-22-17, 12:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I'm one episode behind right now until tonight's episode airs. Hopefully will catch up by the weekend.

Definitely faster paced this season than last season.
Old 03-22-17, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

First season did drag but with the faster paced plotting and characterization of Season 2, I imagine Season 1 will be very interesting on rewatch.

Pillar of Autumn: Oh yeah, it does. Space battles in Season 2 are as good as anything in a movie, my opinion. If I ever upgrade past having to watch episodes on a laptop, I look forward to a full sound, big screen experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: