Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-21-17, 12:13 PM
All Region

smash mouth 34
Akron Garfield Head Coach Bob Sax steps down

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...-rams-1.748379
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-17, 03:26 AM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
Trust and believe

Good Luck to Coach Sax. I did not always agree with him but he is a class act and did a lot of good for a lot of young men off the field.
Old 03-01-17, 08:53 AM
All Region

smash mouth 34
Who is the favorite to take over?
Old 03-01-17, 09:58 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Did I read that right? Garfield has had just 5 coaches in 90 years?
Old 03-01-17, 10:08 AM
All Region

smash mouth 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
Did I read that right? Garfield has had just 5 coaches in 90 years?
Correct.
Old 03-12-17, 04:06 PM
Freshman

Money Ball is on a distinguished road
Quality guy and really good coach. Had the opportunity to rub elbows with Coach Sax a few times at a local watering hole while I was out getting my drink on. Coach always was polite and would chat it up, never taking credit for wins or blaming players for losses. Real classy dude who always had the kids first. One time, I was at said watering establishment when Coach Sax was there with what must have been his coaching staff. They were doing some serious damage to the kitchen staff, because between the still uneaten ones and the remnants of what was left on the table, there had to be 150-200 wings in that order for about 6 dudes. Low and behold, when I cruised by to see how the beloved Rams fared that night, Coach Sax replied simply, "Got a W tonight. IT always feels good to get a W." Most of the other coaches were too involved in destroying the wings that were piled up in front of them to respond with anything other than an, "Awww yeah!", but they definitely seemed to have fun and work well with the kids.
Best of Luck, Coach Sax.

On another note, the way the APS handled the last 4 months since the last game Garfield played in October has been the epitome of incompetence. But then again, I have heard that the APS and its administration could really care less about sports, and it has done nothing but solidify that in my mind after how the situation was handled, and how they treated a loyal employee and coach. Pitiful, APS!
Old 03-15-17, 12:30 AM
All American

MAROON&GOLDBLOOD
TRUST AND BELIEVE

that APS is going to hire Coach Boyd from Kenmore to take over the Garfield job.
Old 03-15-17, 07:40 AM
Freshman

What a silly joke the entire process has been. APS truly gives not 1 dung heap about sports in Akron, unless it is Buchtel or Ellet. The handling of the coaching position at Garfield-Kenmore, Garmore, Kenfield, or whatever you want to call it, was done as unprofessionally as humanly possible. THAT is where I will leave it so as to not go too overboard, which I'm sure I'll do at one point or several hundreds in the future.

Next, on the hiring of Kemp Boyd.....well, what do you call the 3 inch-long greenish-brown round tubular things all up on George Brode Field (that is the name of Kenmore Stadium's field for all y'all that don't know APS stuff like MB does) left there by the geese that flock there all summer and fall? Yep, that is what this hiring is. Once Sax resigned, the job was Boyd's from the get-go. APS will try to say they did a thorough interview process and the y got the best guy for the job, and I will say I ate at Taco Bell and I didn't get gas... (a little background into me....I get gas from everything I eat, EVERYTHING! Strawberries- check, cheetos- check, ribs- check, chicken, fried, baked or roasted-check-check and check!)....who will you believe?! To tell me that Coach Boyd had any semblance of success at all in his 3 years at Kenmore would be like saying smoking cigarettes makes food taste better. 2014 brought in a 2-8 season, 2015 was 1-9, and 2016 was 2-8. 5-25 in 3 seasons seems like it is heading in the right direction to me, right? OR the issue of being thrown from a game at the end of 2015 and had to miss the first game of 2016 for suspension 'cuz of that instance, SURE, lets give him the job.

And that is exactly what APS did, they gave him the job. Many of you would ask why would they do that? MB musta applied for the job and is just sour and griping that he didn't get it, right? NOPE. Don't even Rolling Stones me (get it, y'all, "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones) with that pile of llama poo! MB didn't apply, I was too busy eating some Mr. Hero wafer fries, y'all, but I know what is up because I shop at Sam's Club, and anyone knows that if you need to know what's up, go shop at Sam's Club. But I digest. I just know that once Sax said he was moving on, since the APS dragged out the process out from end of October until Feb (and yeah, y'all, I debreviated the second month cuz I don't always spell it right, seem to always forget the r so I just put Feb), they might have to do some work to fill the spot. WHAT?!! Yep, you heard it here, brothers and sisters, they might actually have to work and find a coach.

Alas, there is another coach already hired tho, and he has a successful track record of 5-25 over 3 years. Let's say we will interview and open the job, but it is really Boyd's job cuz he is a good coach and it will just be easy. Plus, oh, no! Coach Yost resigned at Ellet, the last of the "Old School" coaches. We really have to do some serious work now! The Ellet job should create some interest in the APS and should attract some nice coaching apps for this one, so we have devote some massive time to finding the right guy for The Orange Machine.

Anyway, I am ramblin and stamblin, so try to see my point, which they are all valid and all very virtuous. Other than his horrible record as a head coach, MB has no personal vettas out on Coach Boyd. I just think the process was handled worse than, well, like if an Oscar was given to the people for the wrong movie, or if the wrong woman was given the crown for Miss Universe, you know. Now that is something that could never happen, right?!
Old 03-15-17, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Kenmore seemed to be turning the corner with new leadership in 2011- 2012, winning 6 and 5 games, but it has gone downhill since then.
Old 03-15-17, 08:55 AM
Freshman

Yes, he came back after was there in the 80's and turned it around. He instilled discipline and demanded the kids show up for practice. Ain't that a novel idea. Speaking of novels, I bought a great read at Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago and it rocked. Can't remember the name of it rights now, but it was good. Sam's has all kinds of stuff. Plus, the hot dogs they sell are absolutely BB (Bad-Butt, since I can't use Bad-A---), but that is what they are! I love it about 3 hours afterwards how I can still taste it when I burp. It is truly, like Cousin Eddie says in Christmas Vacation, "The gift that keeps on givin', Clark."

Anyway, I digest, again, The job is too important to do what they did, UNLESS they just don't care like MB already claimed. I bet they do a much more in-deep look for the Ellet head job. They have some community s'port (that is short for "support", see how I roll?) over in E-let and those peeps gonna demand results! Peeps in Kenmore only want those Kenmore Koneys that previous peeps mentioned on here. Never had one, but I can only imagine how good they were on a nice fall afternoon. But they couldn't be better than a Sam's Club dawg!
Old 03-15-17, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
Yes, he came back after was there in the 80's and turned it around. He instilled discipline and demanded the kids show up for practice. Ain't that a novel idea. Speaking of novels, I bought a great read at Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago and it rocked. Can't remember the name of it rights now, but it was good. Sam's has all kinds of stuff. Plus, the hot dogs they sell are absolutely BB (Bad-Butt, since I can't use Bad-A---), but that is what they are! I love it about 3 hours afterwards how I can still taste it when I burp. It is truly, like Cousin Eddie says in Christmas Vacation, "The gift that keeps on givin', Clark."

Anyway, I digest, again, The job is too important to do what they did, UNLESS they just don't care like MB already claimed. I bet they do a much more in-deep look for the Ellet head job. They have some community s'port (that is short for "support", see how I roll?) over in E-let and those peeps gonna demand results! Peeps in Kenmore only want those Kenmore Koneys that previous peeps mentioned on here. Never had one, but I can only imagine how good they were on a nice fall afternoon. But they couldn't be better than a Sam's Club dawg!
The Sam's Club buns are always stale. The dog is solid and they have the onions on the side, but those buns need work.
Old 03-15-17, 10:54 AM
All District

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
Man I feel more dumb by reading MB's rants. Give up buddy. You didn't get the job 😂
Old 03-15-17, 11:36 AM
All District

Spike9 is on a distinguished road
Kenmore 2016

Saw them play last year one of the worst coached teams I have ever seen.
Old 03-16-17, 09:47 AM
All District

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike9 View Post
Saw them play last year one of the worst coached teams I have ever seen.
Agreed
Old 03-16-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

Shame this is an issue. Boyd coached linebackers at McKinley and was DC at Buchtel, so he has some decent background. Kenmore has to be one of the tougher jobs in the City.
Old 03-16-17, 10:37 AM
Freshman

Kenmore is truly one of the most difficult, but Peltz turned it around in a short 3-year span because he demanded things from the kids and they saw results. Each coach after Peltz has not been a disciplinarian and let the kids walk all over them. The kids rule the roost, and it will continue to be the same way. Big difference coaching a position at McKinley and Buchtel where you have the athletes, speed and talent coming out all the time, and at Kenmore where you have to in them over to get it to come out for the team.
Old 03-17-17, 02:36 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
Kenmore is truly one of the most difficult, but Peltz turned it around in a short 3-year span because he demanded things from the kids and they saw results. Each coach after Peltz has not been a disciplinarian and let the kids walk all over them. The kids rule the roost, and it will continue to be the same way. Big difference coaching a position at McKinley and Buchtel where you have the athletes, speed and talent coming out all the time, and at Kenmore where you have to in them over to get it to come out for the team.

This is how I know you have no idea what you're talking about. Look up disciplinarian and Coach Boyds picture would be next to it. The main issue was numbers at Kenmore. The student population literally dropped in half in a 3 year span. That's right, Kenmore went from 850- 900 students to right now having 400 students in the building. I would like to see any coach have on the field success with that sort of demographic shift . The kids don't rule anything at Kenmore, Bill Belicheck wouldn't win with 20 some kids in the WHOLE program being out and eligible to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-17, 07:11 AM
Freshman

Oh, yeah, Tough Guy!!???!! Let me tell you a thing or three! I have always wanted to start off a letter to the editor or see a post on here start this way!!!

Boyd's idea of offense is asinine. Knowing you have no numbers, why does he insist on throwing it on every down? To make the game last even longer so the other team can score 100 points on his charges? His defense hugs the bbs too. I know what has happened at Kenmore enrollment-wise, it is the same thing that has happened at Garfield. YEt Garfield still managed to somehow compete much of the time with 32 kids dressed for games. The people who made this decision must want to go through the motions of hiring another coach next year. This hire is very similar to going to Sam's Club and getting one of those delicious hot dogs and expecting it to be a freaking filet! A hot dog is no filet, my brother! And Boyd may be a good dude, don't mistake my comments as anything against the man, it is all about the results and what I have born witness to with his teams.