Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-24-17, 09:24 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
The strike zone is subjective as it is. It has a defined area, but is very umpire specific. Changing the rule won't change the variation in how it is enforced.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-17, 09:55 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
The strike zone is subjective as it is. It has a defined area, but is very umpire specific. Changing the rule won't change the variation in how it is enforced.
Pretty sure the intention is to pull up the strike zone and eliminate the low strike, not to reduce human variation. I would have to think just defining it higher will result in less called low strikes.
Old 02-24-17, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo Sam View Post
If you want to speed up the game limit the number of relievers that a Manager can use. Or at least make a reliever pitch to at least 3 batters.

Won't happen because Players union won't allow it and it takes away from commercial revenue.
Agreed. These proposed rule changes are useless and one-off scenarios. They continue to refuse to fix the real problems, which are TIME between pitches and TIME taken for mound visits by catchers, shortstops, and coaches. The plethora of multiple mid-inning pitching changes are ridiculous
Old 02-24-17, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
It's ironic that MLB is making these useless rules in order to shorten the game, but also wants to change the strike zone to increase offense, which lengthens the game significantly

I thought Manfred was doing a pretty good job but the drop in the bucket rule changes shows he's no better than Goodell. If umps would just enforce the rules already in place that would be enough right there
Old 02-24-17, 12:43 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
It's ironic that MLB is making these useless rules in order to shorten the game, but also wants to change the strike zone to increase offense, which lengthens the game significantly

I thought Manfred was doing a pretty good job but the drop in the bucket rule changes shows he's no better than Goodell. If umps would just enforce the rules already in place that would be enough right there
I'm not sure about the bold. The overwhelming majority of balls put in play result in outs, and outs that happen faster than the number of pitches it takes to strike someone out. And if it doesn't result in an out, it still results in action which is what they're going for more than just shortening the time it takes to play a game.
Old 02-24-17, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

Yeah that is a good point. But it could also lead to more men getting on base through walks or errors and then the pitcher has to face an additional batter. Even if only an extra one in ten batters reach base that probably wipes out the time your saved by getting quicker outs.

I agree with Bluth, the main thing they need to work on is time between pitches. That's by far the best way to eliminate excessive dead time.
Old 02-24-17, 01:12 PM
All Region

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Anybody else remember the time when Pete Rose swung at (and hit) an attempted IBB pitch and put the ball in play? The defense was completely caught off guard...all runners including Rose were safe and, I believe, a runner from third scored. Pete being Pete.

But, in today's game, nobody would have the balls to do that, so yeah, I don't have an issue either.
Great memory, BlackHawk. I saw it on TV. Pete hit a high hopper to the left side, if I recall, catching the 3B and SS totally off guard. You've described what happened perfectly.
Every time this rule change comes up, I've been against it for this exact reason. Now, though, the 4 pitches don't seem to serve a purpose. Eliminate them if we must, but it'll only shave off a few seconds.
Old 03-15-17, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

Liking this rule less and less when I see videos like this one. Baseball is great because of all the weird situations that happen

Old 03-16-17, 07:45 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Yes. MLB majoring on the minor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: