Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-17, 07:56 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
It will be a very rare hs sporting event these days that requires more than 6500 seats...including the vast majority of football playoff games. Looks interesting to me. At a place like Euclid High, there's a lot of downside to a whole additional building for weights, lockers, etc.
Old 03-14-17, 12:34 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
It will be a very rare hs sporting event these days that requires more than 6500 seats...including the vast majority of football playoff games. Looks interesting to me. At a place like Euclid High, there's a lot of downside to a whole additional building for weights, lockers, etc.
A 6500 seat bleacher stadium probably holds about 4,000 and be considered 'packed'. The capacity is just calculated on dividing the benches by 18 inches or so. Though most people are going to allot 24 inches to their personal space minimum. So, even a 'full stadium' never comes close to capacity with general admission.
Old 03-14-17, 03:29 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
I sure hope they get this right, because the way Euclid is generally trending they aren't likely to get another good shot at this, maybe ever.

I know the school and district are a lot smaller than they were from the 1960's peak. So a 6500 seat new stadium probably won't ever be strained for capacity although if what Sykotyk says is true (and I don't doubt that it is) the real capacity will be maybe 4500 or so, maybe even less.

I would prefer they renovate DiBiasio Stadium as the main football field, not just for tradition, but for capacity. I recall when it used to have end zone bleachers for seating on the Tracy side and I believe it had bleachers for the band on the Westport / Scoreboard side at that time as well. Capacity was purported to be between 9000 and 10000 depending on whose figure was used.

The record crowd was probably the 1970 matchup between the St Joe Vikings and the Euclid Panthers. St Joe was 10-0 in 1969 & came in as defending Crown Conference and "City" champs (No. 1 in 1969 Press and Plain Dealer First 50 rankings). Euclid was coming in off an LEL Title season and had just had the best team in their history at 9-1 with the loss being to the Vikings. Euclid was the pre-season title favorite in the LEL by all the Cleveland and other local papers.

The crowd for the game was estimated later at 12000 to 13000. No one really knows how many were there, but it was a madhouse, with people sitting and standing everywhere they could be placed. Euclid won 16-14 but lost 3 starting backs for the season in the victory and finished 7-3. Shaw won the LEL title. I don't recall St Joe's final record that season but I'd bet it was pretty good. EDIT: St Joe finished 8-2 in 1970 and was Crown Conference co-champs. Thanx to info provided in the Yappi Records Project by C'town216.

With the ongoing decline in interest, participation and parental involvement in High School sports (as discussed on the Yappi thread currently on page 1, near this one) plus the decline of Euclid's general population and it's student population, I doubt Euclid will ever see another crowd like that one in 1970. They would have to host a St I - St Ed playoff matchup or some similar matchup of high interest. With a new 6500 seat bleacher stadium it's unlikely any big playoff matchup will ever be played there like a Regional Final. At least not a D1 or D2 Final anyway.

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 03-14-17 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add St Joe's 1970 record in.
Old 03-14-17, 03:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
I sure hope they get this right, because the way Euclid is generally trending they aren't likely to get another good shot at this, maybe ever.

I know the school and district are a lot smaller than they were from the 1960's peak. So a 6500 seat new stadium probably won't ever be strained for capacity although if what Sykotyk says is true (and I don't doubt that it is) the real capacity will be maybe 4500 or so, maybe even less.

I would prefer they renovate DiBiasio Stadium as the main football field, not just for tradition, but for capacity. I recall when it used to have end zone bleachers for seating on the Tracy side and I believe it had bleachers for the band on the Westport / Scoreboard side at that time as well. Capacity was purported to be between 9000 and 10000 depending on whose figure was used.

The record crowd was probably the 1970 matchup between the St Joe Vikings and the Euclid Panthers. St Joe was 10-0 in 1969 & came in as defending Crown Conference and "City" champs (No. 1 in 1969 Press and Plain Dealer First 50 rankings). Euclid was coming in off an LEL Title season and had just had the best team in their history at 9-1 with the loss being to the Vikings. Euclid was the pre-season title favorite in the LEL by all the Cleveland and other local papers.

The crowd for the game was estimated later at 12000 to 13000. No one really knows how many were there, but it was a madhouse, with people sitting and standing everywhere they could be placed. Euclid won 16-14 but lost 3 starting backs for the season in the victory and finished 7-3. Shaw won the LEL title. I don't recall St Joe's final record that season but I'd bet it was pretty good.

With the ongoing decline in interest, participation and parental involvement in High School sports (as discussed on the Yappi thread currently on page 1, near this one) plus the decline of Euclid's general population and it's student population, I doubt Euclid will ever see another crowd like that one in 1970. They would have to host a St I - St Ed playoff matchup or some similar matchup of high interest. With a new 6500 seat bleacher stadium it's unlikely any big playoff matchup will ever be played there like a Regional Final. At least not a D1 or D2 Final anyway.
Yeah, at 6,500 stated capacity, D3 is about the highest level of playoff game they'd probably be able to host as a neutral site. The bigger D2 and D1 playoffs would go to elsewhere as there's not a lot of options

I'm guessing the field house is the issue with the old stadium not being rebuilt. Save a lot of money by just using the school for locker rooms. And rebuilding/refurbishing the old stadium probably costs a lot and the stadium is quite tall but narrow if you take out the two smaller stands on the ends. AND to bring it up to ADA compliance, putting in proper railings and suitable width stairways, it just isn't that feasible to upgrade.

Look at Steubenville, as they redo Harding Stadium, it's basically a complete rebuilt for each section because ADA just can't handle those small stairways. And with an aging population, you need railings.
Old 03-14-17, 04:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I'm guessing the field house is the issue with the old stadium not being rebuilt. Save a lot of money by just using the school for locker rooms. And rebuilding/refurbishing the old stadium probably costs a lot and the stadium is quite tall but narrow if you take out the two smaller stands on the ends. AND to bring it up to ADA compliance, putting in proper railings and suitable width stairways, it just isn't that feasible to upgrade.

Look at Steubenville, as they redo Harding Stadium, it's basically a complete rebuilt for each section because ADA just can't handle those small stairways. And with an aging population, you need railings.
The gym will be right near the new stadium and I know the locker room I used for gym classes when attending HS (assuming all is as it was, which may be inaccurate) was very large. IDK what locker room visiting basketball teams used and how big it was. Football locker rooms both home and visitor were always below the main stands and pressbox at DiBiasio Stadium. Presumably those will be gone.

Never thought about ADA compliance but I can see where that would throw a major expensive monkey wrench into plans to renovate DiBiasio, which is a very old stadium. Plus in reading the new plans at the ECS site, it's clear that expense is playing a part in this (as it should). Losing the fieldhouse should save a lot of money, how badly it was really needed, I do not know. Would have been nice to have had it, but I'm sure a way will be found without it.

Had to laugh about them preserving the trees by the Ice Arena when the original articles about the early plans stated the consulted arborists had said they HAD to be torn down lol. I haven't seen them in years but from what I recall of them, it would be a shame to tear them down unless they are diseased or sick or dead.
Old 03-16-17, 09:10 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Euclid's DiBiasio Stadium renovations

Looking at the layout for the new stadium, the best example of the layout to use is Allen Eagle Stadium in Texas minus the upperdeck and other features the stadium have. It will for sure be interesting and a lot to get used to going to the new stadium instead of Sparky D.

Last edited by C'Town216; 03-16-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-16-17, 11:33 AM
Freshman

GCCfan is on a distinguished road
GCC stadiums

We obviously have no way of knowing how the stadium will turn out, but as of now how would you guys rate the stadiums in the GCC. From top to bottom which is the best and which is the worst?

Also, how do you think this new stadium will be received by the community? Are people going to be excited about the change or would they have prefered a renovated old stadium?
Old 03-16-17, 12:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCfan View Post
We obviously have no way of knowing how the stadium will turn out, but as of now how would you guys rate the stadiums in the GCC. From top to bottom which is the best and which is the worst?

Also, how do you think this new stadium will be received by the community? Are people going to be excited about the change or would they have prefered a renovated old stadium?

If you see the comments on the Euclid community page on facebook, it's nothing but a complain fest on there and it's actually pretty comical
Old 03-16-17, 02:57 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
If you see the comments on the Euclid community page on facebook, it's nothing but a complain fest on there and it's actually pretty comical
To me, this seems ironic. Maybe to them, they see it as putting athletics before the school, but I am assuming putting a new stadium up with be cheaper than trying to rebuild the old one. The taxpayers will already be paying the money, so if there is no increase in what the people are paying why is it such a big issue?
Old 03-16-17, 03:40 PM
Junior Varsity

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ranking the stadiums 1)Brunswick 2) Solon 3) Strongsville 4) Mentor 5) Medina 6) Shaker Hts 7) Euclid (until I see the new stadium) 8) Elyria by a lot!!!
Old 03-21-17, 02:56 PM
Freshman

New Stadium Design?

It looks as if this will be the initial plans for the stadium. It looks fantastic. It should be packed if it is ready for week three vs. Ignatius.

Old 03-21-17, 07:48 PM
All American

Quote:
It looks as if this will be the initial plans for the stadium. It looks fantastic. It should be packed if it is ready for week three vs. Ignatius.

Kind of reminds me of the Erie Veterans Memorial Stadium in PA and a bit of the Pit over at Elder. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-22-17, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I don't understand is that the planned new stadium isn't what voters passed last November. I went to several Euclid home games last fall, and plans for the refurbished DiBiasio Stadium were prominently displayed, along with pamphlets and depictions of the entire project, which also involved considerable improvements to the school buildings.

How did the plans get changed, and who changed them? Maybe I don't know enough about the way everything went down, but it seems like a bait-and-switch to me. And I'm not sure if Euclid is better off with a new stadium, or just improving DiBiasio. As I've stated before, I always liked DiBiasio Stadium. It just needed some modern touches.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-28-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kind of reminds me of the Erie Veterans Memorial Stadium in PA and a bit of the Pit over at Elder. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Isn't that the gym that is directly behind the home stands? The new stadium will where the far end of the parking lot now exists. Will new parking area(s) be laid out at the site?
Old 03-24-17, 03:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Isn't that the gym that is directly behind the home stands? The new stadium will where the far end of the parking lot now exists. Will new parking area(s) be laid out at the site?

Yes that's Daugherty Gym behind the press box new parking spots will be added to replace the ones lost in the new stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-17, 07:22 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Ranking the stadiums 1)Brunswick 2) Solon 3) Strongsville 4) Mentor 5) Medina 6) Shaker Hts 7) Euclid (until I see the new stadium) 8) Elyria by a lot!!!
For me it would be:

1. Mentor
2. Solon
3. Brunswick
4. Strongsville
5. Medina
6. Shaker Heights
7. Euclid
8. Elyria (Hope they upgrade soon)

On a side note, that Allen Stadium looks really nice. I'd like to see an Ohio football stadium in the Cleveland area look like that someday.
Old 03-24-17, 08:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
For me it would be:

1. Mentor

2. Solon

3. Brunswick

4. Strongsville

5. Medina

6. Shaker Heights

7. Euclid

8. Elyria (Hope they upgrade soon)

On a side note, that Allen Stadium looks really nice. I'd like to see an Ohio football stadium in the Cleveland area look like that someday.

Closest thing to Allen Eagle Stadium here in Ohio would be the new Tom Benson Hall of Fame (Fawcett) Stadium
Old 03-24-17, 10:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
...On a side note, that Allen Stadium looks really nice. I'd like to see an Ohio football stadium in the Cleveland area look like that someday.
That Stadium cost a LOT of money, (EDIT: It was $60 million for the original construction. For all the other features and SOTA Scoreboard they floated a $119 million bond issue) if I recall the controversy correctly that hit the National news media when it's planned construction was announced. Later on, after I think one season of play, major construction defects were discovered and it had to be closed for at least a season (EDIT: Originally opened in 2012 and closed for 2014.) I believe a major court battle went on over that. (EDIT: It did, with insurance companies, the architect and the construction company all involved along with the school district.)

Who would you think should spend such money on a Stadium like that? Would you be OK with the expense if Shaker Heights decided to do such a thing? (Very unlikely I know, especially in a strong academic district that doesn't even have lights at it's home field, but still...). I bet in most NEO Districts such an expenditure would be regarded as wasteful and better spent on a lot of other under-addressed public school issues/needs.

I think Euclid is doing what they are because of the age of DiBiasio Stadium, (IOW, it's at least a perceived "necessity") not because they really just want a new toy, so to speak. The new stadium will be smaller, but functional and new and in compliance with all Federal and State codes. But I don't think it is intended as a "Taj Mahal" type of project. Euclid's largest ever crowd, possibly as many as 14,000 (no one really knows) was in 1970 and will probably never be approached again in today's world.

I'm not trying to call Mr. Red Raider out here. I'm simply wondering who needs a Stadium like that (Allen TX) for HS football, when it only gets used a few times a year. That seems to be an area you want to economize on, in an era when interest and participation and attendance at HS sports is in decline. (In Ohio anyway, Texas may be a different animal at least football-wise. Although I recall even in the book "Friday Night Lights", Odessa TX came in for a lot of criticism when they spent big $$$ to build their Ratliff Stadium.)

I think unless interest and attendance (gate receipts) definitely warrant such a facility, it's economic insanity to build one like that. I don't think Canton would have built such an impressive facility as the new Benson Stadium, if the HOF and NFL weren't involved. I'd bet if they needed a successor to Fawcett Stadium and were absent those contributions or weren't under the threat of losing the HOF Game and maybe even the HOF itself, it would have looked and been sized a lot more like the other Federal League stadia.

A side question... for ALL games, not just big playoff match ups, what do NEO (NE Quadrant of State) teams with large stadia generally draw game in and game out these days? Massillon, Canton McKinley, Warren Harding, Mentor, Steubenville etc. ? Or any others anyone cares to name. Is anyone selling out large stadia regularly game in and game out? From what I have read here, Steubenville probably is but does anyone else?

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 03-25-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 05:03 PM
All Region

James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
These plans make no sense

Quote:
The new drawing shows the field back to back with the existing gym.How can it be more cost effective to excavate a new site which is a parking lot and needed for exit space for the gym.Install the entire infrastructure running track etc,etc.New lighting press box,etc,etc.Rather than modify or build the agreed upon plan that voters VOTED ON AND APPROVED.The parking would be completely ridiculous.Then excavate and tear out the existing field.I notice they show a practice field in the drawing.Like the stadium jumped from one side of the field to the other and landed in the parking lot.Typical Euclid cluster *u%k.Where will the new parking go?Up against the houses that line the current visiters side.Those homeowners will love that.Walk even farther to the school for basketball parking.The idea looks silly.Hope they don't build that mistake.Now pay more consultants 6 figures to modify the plan to the point its nowhere near what was VOTED UPON.Sounded to good and to awesome to be true when I saw the propaganda....ooops...I mean original rendition.Glad I told the administration at the Euclid Glenville game that this will never get built cuz this city cant get out of its own way.How about getting Lincoln Electric to show Euclid some love.Strongsville,North Royalton,and Mentor have corporate donors. Maybe if they would lower the tax rate from 2.85% and attract some industry fix the renter sec.8 crap they could MAYBE fix this kind of crap.A marina? How is that coming along?
Old 03-27-17, 07:22 AM
Varsity

petev is on a distinguished road
Elyria has plans for a new stadium to replace the current Ely Stadium. It will be located just south of the current field. The lot is being cleared of trees this week and the plan is to bensure ready for the 2018 football season
As soon as the plans are finished, we can share here. The voters approved a bond issue for the field , stands, locker rooms, concession stands and restrooms but there will be a community group raising money for enhancements.
Old 04-02-17, 09:07 AM
All American

Here is the latest and best mock up of the new stadium being built that gives much better detail to what we will expect from the new layout.

Old 04-02-17, 05:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Here is the latest and best mock up of the new stadium being built that gives much better detail to what we will expect from the new layout.

Forget the stands that run from the goal line around to the other goal line(endzone) and make the home and visitor stands larger.Please get a nice score board.Ive come to hear that the original stadium will retain the home center grandstands,running track,and will get a new field for youth football.If this is true than that makes this a little more reasonable.Still,where will all this parking be made up?
Old 04-02-17, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
That Stadium cost a LOT of money, (EDIT: It was $60 million for the original construction. For all the other features and SOTA Scoreboard they floated a $119 million bond issue) if I recall the controversy correctly that hit the National news media when it's planned construction was announced. Later on, after I think one season of play, major construction defects were discovered and it had to be closed for at least a season (EDIT: Originally opened in 2012 and closed for 2014.) I believe a major court battle went on over that. (EDIT: It did, with insurance companies, the architect and the construction company all involved along with the school district.)

Who would you think should spend such money on a Stadium like that? Would you be OK with the expense if Shaker Heights decided to do such a thing? (Very unlikely I know, especially in a strong academic district that doesn't even have lights at it's home field, but still...). I bet in most NEO Districts such an expenditure would be regarded as wasteful and better spent on a lot of other under-addressed public school issues/needs.

I'm not trying to call Mr. Red Raider out here. I'm simply wondering who needs a Stadium like that (Allen TX) for HS football, when it only gets used a few times a year. That seems to be an area you want to economize on, in an era when interest and participation and attendance at HS sports is in decline. (In Ohio anyway, Texas may be a different animal at least football-wise. Although I recall even in the book "Friday Night Lights", Odessa TX came in for a lot of criticism when they spent big $$$ to build their Ratliff Stadium.)
If it was possible, the only stadiums I COULD see expanding would be Brunswick and Mentor, and even then, it wouldn't be feasible, financially or otherwise. I had no idea that $100+ mil. was spent on that stadium in Allen, Texas. That's insane! If Shaker was going to do such a thing, it would be nice, but in reality, it would be a financial drain and taxes (as high as they are already) would be astronomical. It wouldn't be worth it in the long term.

On a side note, once Elyria's new stadium gets built, what's gonna happen with Ely Stadium. Is it eventually going to get torn down, and what will replace it, if anything?
Old 05-06-17, 04:26 PM
All American

Driving by Sparky D earlier in the week, I saw the bleachers east side bleachers (visitors) are halfway dismantled. Anyone know when they are supposed to begin construction on the new stadium?

Old 05-06-17, 04:42 PM
All Ohio

Would it be done by the start of the football season? If not, where would Euclid and VASJ play their home games?
Old 05-08-17, 05:12 AM
All Region

Like all things Euclid there is no communication

No surveying stakes,no construction equipment,etc. Can't imagine any stadium being done in time.So far this sounds like a lot of hot air with a questionable time line.From the bait and switch with the original plan voted on and approved by the taxpayers ,to the lack of anything progressing at this sight.Heck,the roll off dumpsters in front of the visiters stands at Sparky D. have been there for weeks.A crew could've done that simple job in a few days.
Old 05-08-17, 07:03 AM
All World

Considering it's a whole new site, I figured that Sparky would be hosting games this fall. If they really are tearing down the visitor stands, it's probably just due to safety. They looked like an insurance claim waiting to happen.
Old 05-08-17, 09:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Considering it's a whole new site, I figured that Sparky would be hosting games this fall. If they really are tearing down the visitor stands, it's probably just due to safety. They looked like an insurance claim waiting to happen.

The visiting side is 50% gone now
Old 05-08-17, 01:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
No surveying stakes, no construction equipment, etc. Can't imagine any stadium being done in time. So far this sounds like a lot of hot air with a questionable time line. From the bait and switch with the original plan voted on and approved by the taxpayers, to the lack of anything progressing at this site. Heck, the roll off dumpsters in front of the visitors stands at Sparky D. have been there for weeks. A crew could've done that simple job in a few days.
Can they still play at DiBiasio with no visitors stands, or have they pulled stands out on the home side too?

The closest other stadia are Eastlake North, Wickliffe, Richmond Heights (which I recall as being pretty small) and the relatively new stadium that Collinwood has in the City. Maybe they try to do a deal with one of these, IDK. Or maybe they set up temp bleachers / stands at one of the middle school fields (that last one seems like a very unlikely solution to me.)

Haven't some teams in this situation in the past played an entire year on the road? Sounds like whatever they do will be last minute and desperate.
Old 05-09-17, 05:29 AM
All Region

Wickliffe sounds good

Nice stadium.School colors are even Blue and Gold.Close for travel as well.Maybe VASJ could use Collinwood.The home side is still intact by the way.The comment about anything being desperate and last minute is why I don't have faith in whomever is directing this situation. They spent all summer redoing Brush Korb field a few years back.Same with Beachwood.They would be working around the clock to finish this in time at Euclid.A close friend was told in the pressbox at the Palace (Euclid baseball field) they were going to start as soon as school lets out for the summer)Even Lakewood is a cluster **** trying to maneuver around their football parking due to the school rebuild.That project pales in comparison to what Euclid is planning on.That took a while and may not be done yet? So unless I'm missing something I would think Sept. 2018 is when the new stadium will open.??????????? How is that Marina and lakefront access in Euclid coming along.....cough,cough