Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-20-17, 09:08 PM
Freshman

mich97 is on a distinguished road
Div. 4 Massillon Regional

Assuming Hiland makes it out of the East District (I know we shouldn't assume), who would be some of their biggest threats to making it back to Columbus? Anyone know anything about Cornerstone Christian, Lake Ridge Academy, Cuyahoga Hts. or Jackson Milton? Based on what I've read this year, those seem to be the teams that could threaten Hiland the most in Massillon. Any others?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-17, 03:24 PM
Varsity

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
LRA put them out last year, so I think they are the only ones with any realistic chance of keeping them from Cbus. I don't see anyone in the district either. My folks in the know say that LRA is the only serious obstacle. But then again "my folks" told me that LRA had zero chance last year. Lol. Hiland went 1/26 from 3 in that game. It was a fluke IMO, but it counted.

Hiland just has too much this year. I believe they should win it all, but weird things happen - especially at the state level - and sometimes at the regional level. That's what is great about the tournament.
Old 02-22-17, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
I saw on another post that Hiland picked up a new girl from New Philadelphia? Does anyone know if thats true?
Old 02-22-17, 10:31 AM
Freshman

Morgan McMillen came from New Philly, but that was before the start of last season, so she's been on the team for two years now. There's no doubt that she has been a huge addition.
Old 02-22-17, 02:23 PM
All American

20/20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
I saw on another post that Hiland picked up a new girl from New Philadelphia? Does anyone know if thats true?
. Old news trolled!
Old 02-23-17, 01:42 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
Her dad is an assistant coach. I don't think she would be there if that wasn't the case.

That said, she is one of the weapons that makes them so difficult to deal with. She is a very aggressive player, and despite a lack of height is so strong that she can play/score inside and she can hit 3's. She plays hard on defense and rebounds.

It's pretty easy to come up with something to attempt to stop one threat (PG Kennedy S). Harder, but doable to try to stop/limit two threats (Angie T). Morgan adds that third threat, and that takes things into the very difficult range. And Hiland has a pretty good post player to think about too.

If I'm trying to beat them, I would try to take the PG away (because she sets up the others), emphasize paint defense, and hope there are a lot of misses on the outside. But you also have to have guards that can handle their pressure, otherwise, they are shooting layups on you. But a team that can do those things has a good shot at beating them.
Old 02-24-17, 04:02 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
you have to take away her inside spin and live with the rest. If you don't have a good press breaker in you are toast they want to score easy baskets . Shoot well from the outside and have a good post presence. That's a lot to ask for...and do it for four quarters because they are going to come at you...
Old 02-27-17, 08:54 AM
Junior Varsity

muva20fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
Her dad is an assistant coach. I don't think she would be there if that wasn't the case.

That said, she is one of the weapons that makes them so difficult to deal with. She is a very aggressive player, and despite a lack of height is so strong that she can play/score inside and she can hit 3's. She plays hard on defense and rebounds.

It's pretty easy to come up with something to attempt to stop one threat (PG Kennedy S). Harder, but doable to try to stop/limit two threats (Angie T). Morgan adds that third threat, and that takes things into the very difficult range. And Hiland has a pretty good post player to think about too.

If I'm trying to beat them, I would try to take the PG away (because she sets up the others), emphasize paint defense, and hope there are a lot of misses on the outside. But you also have to have guards that can handle their pressure, otherwise, they are shooting layups on you. But a team that can do those things has a good shot at beating them.
McMillen definitely adds a lot of pop, but considering the emergence of Weaver and Hochstetler in the post then you add Keim off the bench along with Jess Troyer scoring when needed... on a given night probably two or even three of these four will put up double figures for you if the game is fast-paced enough.

So McMillen's presence probably opens things up for these four (and I love watching her play, don't get me wrong) but I think if she wasn't in the mix we wouldn't be having a terribly different conversation this year.
Old 03-02-17, 02:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muva20fan View Post
McMillen definitely adds a lot of pop, but considering the emergence of Weaver and Hochstetler in the post then you add Keim off the bench along with Jess Troyer scoring when needed... on a given night probably two or even three of these four will put up double figures for you if the game is fast-paced enough.

So McMillen's presence probably opens things up for these four (and I love watching her play, don't get me wrong) but I think if she wasn't in the mix we wouldn't be having a terribly different conversation this year.
I agree. They would still be a handful. I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of a coach trying to decide what to take away. She is in that top 3 in scoring average. I think it's different trying to take away 2 threats as opposed to 3. But as you say, there really are actually more than that. You take her out of the equation, and probably those points and stats go to another player or two.

You might remember a girl Hiland had a few years ago named Katelyn Stuckey. Maybe? She had some decent height, but what she had in spades was physical substance and strength. Her body type created a physical mismatch for most teams. Morgan does that. Katelyn played inside, but Morgan can play inside because of her strength and she uses her body to create space, but she can also shoot 3's and intermediate 2's. I think she is unique in that respect.

Hiland beat Ft Frye 85-26. Play Malvern who beat someone 60-50. Hulit had 33 points. She is a load. Hiland-Malvern district final 1 PM Sat at Dover.
Old 03-04-17, 10:11 PM
Freshman

Hiland beat Malvern 80-41 and will play Cornerstone Christian (who beat Lutheran East 55-38) in the first semifinal at Perry on Thursday. The other semi will have Jackson-Milton (who beat McDonald) playing Dalton (who upset Lake Ridge 48-42).
Old 03-06-17, 04:57 PM
Varsity

Cornerstone becomes the de facto stopper team, although you have to take Dalton seriously since they stopped the team that was supposed to be the stopper.
Old 03-07-17, 02:07 AM
Freshman

Not that it means anything, but both Hiland and Cornerstone played Gilmour Academy...Hiland lost 60-49 while Cornerstone lost 72-39. They also both played Massillon Perry...Hiland won 61-51 while Cornerstone lost 59-35.
Old 03-07-17, 06:01 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
The disparity in the score aganist Gilmour could be that Hiland played them at home and Cornerstone played the Lancers at Gilmour. That aside. Hiland is physically stronger,deeper and taller. They also play a tighter defense and take care of the ball a little better. CC and Gilmour play similar offense sets but with vastly different personnel . Berlin has the edge,but then again this is high school basketball.
Old 03-07-17, 03:29 PM
Varsity

Good points all - but especially "but then again this is high school basketball." Amen. Lol.

Hiland's loss to Gilmour was because Gilmour is good. But I do believe Hiland could beat them, just not on that night. Hiland played Africentric on Saturday night and Gilmour on Monday. It took everything they had to beat Africentric, and they just didn't look like they had the same energy or legs on Monday.

Basketball is about match ups. Gilmour presented some match up disadvantages, but so did AC. I think any team that beats Hiland needs to have a couple of player match up edges, and they need to counter Hiland's depth advantage via pace of play and/or finding ways to not expend energy on defense (ie a zone) but you have to hope they aren't hitting outside shots. Above all, you need some good press breakers and 2 guards that can dribble with left or right hand. Any team that can do those things will definitely be in the game. If you can't do some of those things, brace yourself.
Old 03-08-17, 09:14 AM
Freshman

High-school BB fan is on a distinguished road
Lets save everybody time and energy. Nobody will beat Hiland in the Regionals this year, Period.
Old 03-08-17, 10:06 AM
Freshman

You might be right, and it would be a surprise for sure if Hiland lost in the Regionals, but stranger things have happened...such as the Hawks going 1-26 from 3 against Lake Ridge last year and losing by a point.
Old 03-09-17, 01:02 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-school BB fan View Post
Lets save everybody time and energy. Nobody will beat Hiland in the Regionals this year, Period.
You sound like my AAU coach buddy - who said the same thing last year before Hiland pulled their 1/26 3pfg performance against LRA. Lol.

But, yeah, unless something very weird happens, I expect them to move through.
Old 03-09-17, 06:38 PM
Varsity

13-9 Patriots after 1. Hiland turning the ball over a lot and not shooting well. Look like they haven't played a competitive game in 7 weeks.

Hawks right the ship in 2nd qtr. Depth of Hiland may have taken effect. Scored the first 6 and last 12 of qtr to lead 29-18 at half.

42 to 29 end of 3.

57-36 final.

Last edited by IVCguy; 03-09-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 09:47 PM
Varsity

I hear Jackson Milton beat Dalton. If anyone has details on that game, please share.
Old 03-10-17, 02:21 AM
Freshman

Jackson-Milton beat Dalton 44-40. It was a tight game throughout although Dalton never led...11-5 after 1, 22-16 at the half, 35-31 after 3. Dalton tied the game in the 3rd Q at 26 and then had it down to 1 at 37-36 with 7 minutes to go in the game, but just could never get over the hump. I only listened to it on the radio, but seemed like a battle of very evenly matched teams. I definitely think that Hiland and Cornerstone were the best two teams to take the floor tonight.
Old 03-10-17, 08:45 AM
All District

1486wd is on a distinguished road
After watching last night, Hiland will come out of this district. The J-M vs Dalton game was entertains with two solid teams, pretty even but both would be taken out by Hiland. Dalton is talented, but 3 of their top 6 are freshmen, pretty tall task there. Neither team had a true post either
Old 03-10-17, 03:44 PM
Varsity

I was told JM played 5 in the first half, and the first sub was in the 2nd half due to injury. Uh oh.
Old 03-11-17, 08:06 PM
All District

Springsteen is on a distinguished road
Hiland 35
Jackson-Milton 9 at the half.
Old 03-11-17, 09:59 PM
Varsity

63-20 final.

Hiland will play Ottoville I heard.
Old 03-11-17, 11:09 PM
Freshman