Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-01-17, 12:35 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Why does T&F start 2 weeks later than other Spring Sports

I don't pay a lot of attention to such things, but why do we start 2 weeks after the other Spring Sports with our first day of coaching?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-17, 01:25 PM
Varsity

bgtri11 is on a distinguished road
Great Question! The answer I got from our AD when asking in the past is that baseball and softball (and now lacrosse) always have to deal with rain outs, so it allows them more time to make up games.
Old 03-01-17, 02:11 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
I've been told it's because those sports usually have tryouts in some fashion and thus get the extra time.
Old 03-01-17, 07:02 PM
All World

None of that makes any sense because their seasons start and end the same time as T&F except tennis. So, they just get 2 more weeks of practice than do we.
Old 03-01-17, 08:10 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
My understanding of this is:

1. Baseball and softball always started their pitchers and catchers early, and most schools brought every one in as such, so their really isn't much there.

2. Lacrosse always started early in February on their own, so the OHSAA kept their season similar.

Track can condition all winter if they are not participating in the indoor season.
Old 03-01-17, 08:16 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Track is much easier to condition for, running, benching, whatever, you dont need tons of official coaching direction beyond informal conditioning sessions. Baseball softball and tennis require more complicated skill work, so it makes sense to start official practice sooner I guess.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 03-01-17 at 08:51 PM..
Old 03-01-17, 08:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Track is much easier to condition for, running, benching, whatever, you dont need tons of official coaching direction beyond informal conditioning sessions. Baseball softball and tennis require more complicated skill work, so it makes sense to start official practice I guess.

Tennis starts when we do.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily make sense, but it is true that our sport is much easier to condition for considering thats essentially the basis for success in our sport in the first place.
Old 03-01-17, 08:52 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
My bad, I dont pay much attention to tennis tbh.

Old 03-01-17, 09:16 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post
Tennis starts when we do.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily make sense, but it is true that our sport is much easier to condition for considering thats essentially the basis for success in our sport in the first place.
Boys Volleyball also starts when track does. Tryouts are March 6 and March 7 at my school.
Old 03-01-17, 11:35 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
It used to be that pitchers and catchers reported about 2-3 weeks before position players in baseball and softball. It became obvious that rule would be abused early and often (a coach could just claim that all of his players are candidates for the pitching staff), so they let everyone report at the same time. Why do they report so early? Most likely so that the pitchers have more time to get their arms in shape. If you visit the baseball forum, you'll see a lot of spirited debate about how many pitches is too many along with discussion on other topics pertaining to keeping pitchers healthy.

In a normal winter, I wouldn't complain too much about not being able to start practice for outdoor track any earlier than we do now. The weather would usually be so miserable that the end result would be a few weeks of "get what you can get" types of practices, i.e. not necessarily quality work, and a few more kids deciding that track is not for them. This winter has been anything but normal.
Old 03-02-17, 04:16 AM
All World

Concerning that coaches of track and field would say our sport is easier to condition for. It's not about conditioning it's about coaching. All the field events could use much more coaching time. Hurdles etc...
Old 03-02-17, 06:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Boys Volleyball also starts when track does. Tryouts are March 6 and March 7 at my school.
Boys Volleyball is not an OHSAA sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Concerning that coaches of track and field would say our sport is easier to condition for. It's not about conditioning it's about coaching. All the field events could use much more coaching time. Hurdles etc...
That's a fair point.
Old 03-02-17, 11:14 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Absolutely.... And it's much more difficult to coach a freshman on proper technique be it arm action or knee lift/acceleration drill, coming up with individual plans for short sprinters and long sprinters and being able to document how they adapt to that particular type of training, learning to use blocks correctly, proper form and technique in the weight room and the list goes on... I'd have to think chasing a ball or swinging a bat is much less complex than ANY of these things lol