Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-17, 06:49 PM
Junior Varsity

justicerunner is on a distinguished road
Let's talk TB team money!!

I feel, sometimes the subject of team finances is taboo, so naturally, I think it must be a good subject to discuss! I’ll start by saying we’ve always been blessed in the way my daughter’s TB teams have handled finances. This year, her travel softball team, is much different than in past years. She is involved with a larger TB org that has a long, multi-year history. They have one team, per age group, with players from all over the state. I guess, I didn’t really know what to expect when she made her current team, in regard to dealing with the team’s finances, because she’s never really played with such a large org or had such an aggressive (forecasting 95 games) 12-month schedule. Obviously, I assumed it would involve more money per player. But, how it all worked, I’ll admit, I was slightly clueless.

This is how the money handling works for her new current team. To my surprise, the actual main organization doesn’t touch any of her individual team’s money and they don’t ask for any money from her team, even though my daughter's team is using the main org’s name, which has a multi-National Champ legacy. They are only involved in the selection of the main coach. Then, the main coach is responsible for selecting their individual team’s players and leads the general direction of the team. The main coach and parents, of the selected players, then had a meeting and agreed on a team treasurer. The treasurer is just a random parent, not a coach, but a very nice person. The philosophy is the coach doesn't have time to do both; coach effectively and keep track of finances (both are volunteers). The treasurer collects: player’s fees, sponsorships received and all fundraising money. (I've never actually spoken to the coach about what I owe or when fees are due, I speak to the treasurer.) The treasurer also opened a separate bank account, for this team only, and writes the checks for tournament fees, uniforms, extra equipment (there's not much besides softballs, we borrow equipment or go without, it's difficult to split 12 ways after season and one player keeping something everyone purchased, isn't right, but to me there are exceptions at 14-18u), and even mails the payments for tournaments to the tournament directors. Of course, the tournaments are selected by the coach, with help from the assistant coaches, treasurer, and the parents also add their two cents, too. I think this team’s system is really working great!

Is this typical practice? How does your daughter’s TB team handle finances? What is your individual team’s relationship with the org leader like? How large is your daughter’s org? How many games/tournaments does your daughter play?

Last edited by justicerunner; 02-04-17 at 09:44 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-17, 07:27 AM
Junior Varsity

I forgot to add: Please share your experiences if you have been the parent treasurer. Was it much easier or much more difficult than you expected?
Old 02-26-17, 11:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I've been on the baseball side for years. My only experience with travel softball was a family member over 30 years ago, so I'm sure things are MUCH different now. Definitely way more teams.

The one thing that stood out is that you said the coach is a volunteer? That seems strange. In baseball, almost every coach at 14U and up that is not a parent is a paid coach. The time invested is far too great to be a volunteer. They get money for being a coach and their expenses paid for the out of town tournaments. Are you sure the coach isn't getting paid? A twelve month commitment from a volunteer would be incredible unless it's a parent. Even if it is a parent, that's still quite a commitment.
Old 02-27-17, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've been on the baseball side for years. My only experience with travel softball was a family member over 30 years ago, so I'm sure things are MUCH different now. Definitely way more teams.

The one thing that stood out is that you said the coach is a volunteer? That seems strange. In baseball, almost every coach at 14U and up that is not a parent is a paid coach. The time invested is far too great to be a volunteer. They get money for being a coach and their expenses paid for the out of town tournaments. Are you sure the coach isn't getting paid? A twelve month commitment from a volunteer would be incredible unless it's a parent. Even if it is a parent, that's still quite a commitment.
Only a few organizations are non parent with paid coaching.
The vast majority are volunteer coaches. Actually; my experience has been that the volunteer coaches are more committed than the paid coaches.

Now both paid and volunteer have walked away from a team mid year but it seems like it happens more with paid coaches as they are looking for bigger and better opportunities where as, the volunteer coach is more in it for the players and team. If a paid coach does not leave mid year a lot move from team to team or from one organization to another at years end.
Old 02-28-17, 06:23 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
95 games? Sheesh.
Old 03-01-17, 08:29 PM
Junior Varsity

HSFB, I think you are spot on with your experience in the softball world.

Yappi, my son's 10u head baseball coach is paid. But, we knew that going in to it and welcomed the change. Although, his head coach isn't handling the team's money. That was my point with this post, most head coaches don't handle the team's money, or for that matter, the entire org's money. I just think it's good to divide up responsibilities among parents, no one parent needs to do it all, nor should they.

Ringer2...That's 95 games total from August to August. I know she has had 10 games in already this year just in Jan/Feb 2017, but many more from the fall. The real worry for me, with this schedule, is all the concession stand junk food I'll be running into this spring/summer...those walking taco's are so hard to resist! A few weeks ago, she played in a tourney at YSU, they had the best pepperoni rolls! A week ago, she played in Indiana and they had authentic Mexican food, at the concession stand...the struggle is real!