Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-21-17, 10:39 PM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
It's risky business to decide which races are "legit", and which aren't, or must have had "malfunctioning timing", based on how close a kid runs to their PR before or after setting it. They are, by their very definition, outlier performances. I know a lot of performances at Spire a few weeks ago were eye-popping, including a sprint time that broke a state record by almost a full second, but I never for a second suspected any of them to be illegitimate because of that fact.

edit to clarify I'm talking about indoor performances only. Obviously outdoors there are many variables(wind, hand-timing, etc) that can make a performance, especially sprints, questionable.
I don't remember seeing anything "eye popping" at Spire outside of the Boys 800 meter champion. I just don't believe a kid going 7.50 in the 60 once in their lifetime and not running even 2 tenths close to that EVER is realistic... I'm sure a lot of times would be questionable if we all dissect every race but I think the examples I posted are on point... Again the times are very consistent , unless I add the PR to the list it looks legit...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-17, 02:53 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Injuries could account for only hitting a time once. We have school records that were once in a lifetime efforts. Think our girl long jumper pr'd by over 8 inches at the state meet. Our 200m record was set by a soph, then she hurt her knee and was never close again. Same with a good hurdler we had, messed her hip up at the league meet as a junior, came back well, but not close to what she was. I know when BW and other tracks were resurfaced or refurbished striped, some start lines were off and the times were affected. Not the fault of the timing crew. I've seen more than a few tracks in my life that are off with staggers.

Although you maybe right about the examples you show, there are legit reasons too.

We had a girl a few years ago go from 5:20 pr in the 1600 to 5:00 in 2 weeks. I saw it and don't believe it.
Old 02-22-17, 03:18 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
It happens all the time. Hell, my mile PR is over 8 seconds faster than my 2nd best time. And its much more plausible that a kid had a great day(or that a race was just hot as a whole) than the FAT system "malfunctioned" and artificially lowered the finish times.
Old 02-22-17, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
I don't know why people are so resistant to the concept of FAT times that have errors. At bigger meets timing companies use multiple cameras and may hard wire communications, where for other meets they may only run one or two cameras and run a wireless system that can be susceptible to problems related to static charge.

The timing group that used to do the Mentor District was notorious for problems. You stand there all day with other coaches/athletes timing heat after heat of races and are in the zone with them. Then all the sudden an entire heat of kids have times that aren't close to what anyone had by hand timing - they're all about the same amount faster than their seeds.

Can redundancies eliminate/reduce these problems? Sure, but every meet doesn't have the same redundancies. Errors are possible and they do occur. They aren't correctable or even always verifiable so they get pushed into the system.
Old 02-22-17, 04:13 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Dammit madman, now you and PCcoach have me doubting my mile PR
Old 02-22-17, 07:11 PM
Varsity

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
KevinL; So, when your time and place was listed on the scoreboard and then when the final results were posted and you noticed the error and then went and told an official or the timing table, they refused to correct it?! That is unacceptable. I know the people on the timing crew and I'll look into why they did not correct the mistake even after you brought it to their attention.
I did not speak to any officials. I had our accurate-enough time. I believe the meet officials were busy enough. We are not entering at state. Brookside girls if anyone cares.
Old 02-23-17, 07:20 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I think it's funny how we have threads that say we have FAT, so we can do away with Districts and just have Regionals based on times throughout the season and how good it is for the OATCCC indoor championships and then another saying how off FAT times are and how only one person/ company in the state is capable of timing a meet.

I do not like any meet that advances only on time. Heat winners should always advance unless you have more heats than lanes.
Old 02-23-17, 08:44 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I do not like any meet that advances only on time. Heat winners should always advance unless you have more heats than lanes.
I think in most cases, especially Districts, Region and State, the heat winners usually do advance. Has there been instances where the heat ran slower but did not advance?
Old 02-23-17, 08:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
It happens all the time. Hell, my mile PR is over 8 seconds faster than my 2nd best time. And its much more plausible that a kid had a great day(or that a race was just hot as a whole) than the FAT system "malfunctioned" and artificially lowered the finish times.
I've been around track for a long time, mostly on the AAU and USATF circuit through my Summer Club, and even then, I don't remember seeing a kid running 11 flat as a PR and never running remotely close to it ever again, even my distance kids when they PR, it may take another couple races to get there again but they always get there and to see someone run 3 to 4 tenths faster than normal and never getting close to that is not realistic.... Even the examples I gave, the last one ran his fastest times in college 7.0, but ran faster than 6.85 in highschool? You know that's not realistic... But I'm sure the 6.85 got him to the college lol