Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
The recent revisionist history regarding Modell is a joke. Uninformed fools cry for Art, buying his lie that the City officials did him wrong and took care of the Indians and Cavs and excluded Art. They gave him exactly what he deserved. The guy was a little scumbag.

He had on opportunity in the late 80's to get on board with a 72k seat domed stadium to share with the Indians on the old Central Market site, where Progressive Field is now. Being the greedy, self-serving turd he was, he killed the deal because: 1) Municipal Stadium sold out every Browns' game at 82K seats, and he didn't want to lose +80k home tickets/concessions a year. 2) Art's agreement with the City gave him control of the old Stadium and the ability to milk the Indians for 81 games a year. Instead of dominating the partnership with the City and the Indians in the same way at the proposed new domed stadium, he would have had to settle for being an equal. So, Art Modell decided to play hardball, and say "F_ you" to the fans, to the City, and to the Indians - he killed the deal and essentially walked out on negotiations.

What Art the Dumbazz, marketing whiz but business fool, did not consider was that the Cavaliers 20 year property tax abatement deal with Richfield for the Coliseum was expiring. Gordon Gund actually was a good business man. The City, Tribe, and Cavs found common ground for the Gateway deal, and left Art with what he claimed he wanted. Then his pettiness and lack of business sense kicked in.

He was fine having his team in a 30's vintage, WPA-built toilet like old Municipal Stadium when the Indians had to suffer, too, and the Cavs were 20 miles away. When those teams had new facilities, Art cried and said, "Me, too!!". When he wasn't promised immediate satisfaction, like the terrible businessman he was, he took out huge loans on awful terms to remodel that old dump, even after losing his full-time tenant, the Indians. He bankrupted himself, and begged the City to bail him out after the fact. He was an idiot, with only one redeeming quality - he saw the TV potential of the NFL before most anyone else did. Whoopie.

I rarely agree with cabezadecaballo, but every argument he makes in this thread is spot on.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-17, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I rarely agree with cabezadecaballo, but every argument he makes in this thread is spot on.
Thank you. Old guys like ourselves need to keep the story straight.

The second-best compliment I received for that post was the azz-wipe troll that said I copied and pasted it. Yours is a little more gratifying, caveat notwithstanding.
Old 02-10-17, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Thank you. Old guys like ourselves need to keep the story straight.

The second-best compliment I received for that post was the azz-wipe troll that said I copied and pasted it. Yours is a little more gratifying, caveat notwithstanding.
I didn't see anyone accusing you of that, unless it was deleted. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good representation of what happened, and time and "alternative facts" have steered the blame away from Modell. Mike White, I think, made some foolish, chest-pounded displays that hastened the exit. One person who seems impervious to blame in this whole scenario is Al Lerner, Modell's "banker", who I think played a substantial role in engineering the deal with Baltimore and cleared the way for him to assume ownership of the team when it returned..
Old 02-10-17, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
I didn't see anyone accusing you of that, unless it was deleted. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good representation of what happened, and time and "alternative facts" have steered the blame away from Modell. Mike White, I think, made some foolish, chest-pounded displays that hastened the exit. One person who seems impervious to blame in this whole scenario is Al Lerner, Modell's "banker", who I think played a substantial role in engineering the deal with Baltimore and cleared the way for him to assume ownership of the team when it returned..
In terms of Cleveland development in the 90's , "White Mike" was the personal municipal liaison of the Millers and the Ratners He had tremendous pressure from them to only put a new stadium on their property if it left municipally owned land.

I don't know if Lerner was an initial driver, but I have no doubt that he was in dialogue with the NFL to restart the franchise in Cleveland from the very onset of Modell's talks with the NFL to take the team and leave. I don't know if it was ever seriously discussed to have the Browns play elsewhere while the old stadium was torn down. I do know that Lerner's MBNA had major ties to the Baltimore area.
Old 02-19-17, 09:20 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
How much longer after that was he forced to sell the team? By the way, I wonder if Ozzie Newsome can be the first person to make the Hall of Fame as a player AND a General Manager? He certainly deserves it.
That would be Outstanding,he sure does deserve Both.