Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-18-17, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
No grade school benchwarmer will ever develop into a star the way a club kid would.
I disagree. Some kids excel early. Others develop later. Growth spurts happen. Some kids commit to the weight-room. The coaches play the best players.

Eric Wood (Visi) is a perfect example. He was a tight end as a junior, and didnt start on the line until his senior year.

He was just a two-star recruit and only had a handful of offers even after his senior year.

He goes to Louisville, becomes a star, and eventually a first-round draft pick. He is certainly the exception, but to say no grade school benchwarmer will ever develop into a star vs. a club kid is not always true.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 08-18-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 10:42 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I disagree. Some kids excel early. Others develop later. Growth spurts happen. Some kids commit to the weight-room. The coaches play the best players.

Eric Wood (Visi) is a perfect example. He was a tight end as a junior, and didnt start on the line until his senior year.

He was just a two-star recruit and only had a handful of offers even after his senior year.

He goes to Louisville, becomes a star, and eventually a first-round draft pick. He is certainly the exception, but to say no grade school benchwarmer will ever develop into a star vs. a club kid is not always true.
He wasn't a benchwarmer at Visi.
Old 08-18-17, 01:54 PM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post

THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT!!!!!

Of course kids develop sooner and some develop later. Elder's talent pool is shrinking. Answer the question - how are they getting their talent?

1. Feeder school kids
2. Limited public school kids
3. VERY few from outside the Westside, and likely NONE from the talent rich east and northern suburbs

1. is shrinking.
2. is a very small group
3. will never happen

Because recruiting #3 will never happen, and #1 and #2 are certainly not growing, how do you get more athletes to your school?

You have to start developing them. Expand your youth programs to focus on the stand out studs, plus 2-3 pretty good kids from each school and focus on making them better. They already do this with the small sample of studs...expand on this, because the only way they are going to get more athletes are making sure the kids that are going there get better.

They're not bringing in studs...so you have to make your own kids better. This is a huge key to ensuring the feeder talent stays at Elder.
Old 08-19-17, 01:56 PM
Freshman

Elder/Bucksfan is on a distinguished road
Huge wake up call for Visi at the Pit today!!!!! Let's just say St Nicolas had there way with Visitation especially on the offensive side of the ball!!!!! Does this sound familiar? Visi struggled with some of the speed and athleticism of Nicks! Also the first team of Antonius moved the ball rather easy on Visi's D as well. As said earlier Visi stuggled in the trenches on both sides of the ball and there secondary is nowhere as good as they have been in the past! Lastly! I definitely would not want the job of picking a freshman Qb at Elder! That Keller kid is very impressive!!!!!!! I hope Visi and Nicks meet again in the playoffs!
Old 08-19-17, 02:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder/Bucksfan View Post
Huge wake up call for Visi at the Pit today!!!!! Let's just say St Nicolas had there way with Visitation especially on the offensive side of the ball!!!!! Does this sound familiar? Visi struggled with some of the speed and athleticism of Nicks! Also the first team of Antonius moved the ball rather easy on Visi's D as well. As said earlier Visi stuggled in the trenches on both sides of the ball and there secondary is nowhere as good as they have been in the past! Lastly! I definitely would not want the job of picking a freshman Qb at Elder! That Keller kid is very impressive!!!!!!! I hope Visi and Nicks meet again in the playoffs!
Your kid still isn't going to see the field. Hopefully young Ramsey can get his teammates to Elder.

And you're overusing "!", it doesn't mean anything when you use it 20 times in a post.
Old 08-19-17, 02:39 PM
Freshman

No worries for me there because he already see's the field alot. Glad you like these so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Blessed day!
Old 08-19-17, 04:14 PM
All World

Quote:
No worries for me there because he already see's the field alot. Glad you like these so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Blessed day!
Waterboy doesn't count!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-17, 04:51 PM
Freshman

Lol! I might be in trouble then! I Appreciate your passion to see greatness return to Elder Football and for being a person who does not live in the past but speaks the truth of the only way that can happen. You just need to realize that there are people who feel the same way you do on alot of those same issues. All for the greater good of Elder! Again have a great evening!
Old 08-19-17, 05:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Lol! I might be in trouble then! I Appreciate your passion to see greatness return to Elder Football and for being a person who does not live in the past but speaks the truth of the only way that can happen. You just need to realize that there are people who feel the same way you do on alot of those same issues. All for the greater good of Elder! Again have a great evening!
And those people need to speak up a bit more. I've always maintained, the Feeders are the core of Elder and Visi is the heart of the system and it seems there's a lot of jealousy or animosity towards them. I'm not delusional enough to believe there's no politics, but I'm also not foolish enough to believe those politics are promoted over winning.
Old 08-19-17, 06:40 PM
All World

Seeing Spencer Ware starting at RB for the Chiefs always reminds me... If he transferred to Elder, they would've won a National Title in '08. You need a few Spencer Wares mixed in with a talented Feeder System.
Old 08-19-17, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Lot of talent on hand today at Elder. Definitely need to make this a regular occurrence, and could possibly even make it bigger as the years go on. Best thing to get grade school kids on that field and on the campus. Ramsey's kid might be the best player in the league, very impressed with him.
Old 08-19-17, 10:33 PM
All American

trey2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Lot of talent on hand today at Elder. Definitely need to make this a regular occurrence, and could possibly even make it bigger as the years go on..
Agreed...it was good to see the Elder coaches interacting with the coaches and teams as well. They need more of that positive interaction.

I thought Nick's was very impressive, and I thought Antoninus looked good with a small contingent of players. Visitation had their way with them on offense, but they held their own against a team that was much bigger and over twice the kids.

Visi and Antoninus QB were definitely a cut above. Both are very, very good. After what I saw today, there's no way the Visi kid is a shoe in.

And what is going on at Ignatius? Yowzers...are they really that slanted towards soccer?
Old 08-20-17, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
I was told on Friday that the freshman from St Jude but enrolled at OH shadowed Elder on Friday. Would be a significant addition to the school and basketball team.