Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-02-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/

Some positive vibes here. On paper, the offense looks strong. Bringing back a three year starting QB with over 5,000 career passing yards. Biggest playmaker (Shea) at receiver returns. Baird and Kleinhenz also help provide experience and talent at the position. Lots of size and talent on the line too. Offensively, the main concern is the running game. Without a strong RB, that puts more pressure on Tatarunas - who is not been mobile or confident in his legs the past two years.

Defensively, anybody watching has to be concerned. Potter and Pedley were sophomore gems last year and both were showing potential to be big playmakers this season. But Triv/Funk are changing the defense to a 3-4. The last time the defense used a 3 man front highlighted by two talented and athletic juniors on the edge (Berger and Maddox), it was a tragically bad defense on 2012.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why put your best playmakers on the edges of a 3-4? Those guys are just going to get double teamed every play. Clearly these two coaches know how to defense, so what do I know. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-17, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002

They are doing the exact opposite of what you should do with 2 stud dline rushers as the strength of your team.

They also screwed up Kurt laseak putting him at lb when he was clearly better on the line

A 3-4 should be used when the strength is at linebacker. Mentor has had joke lbs going back to 07 for the most part with a few exceptions (like laseak even though he fit more on dline )

When your two best defenders are dline rushers , they shouldn't be space eaters. Also the 3-4 should lead to exotic looks and blitzes. Our dc funk couldn't coach a duck to swim ....

This has beyond awful written all over it

It's getting tiring talking about it. It's the same problem year after year after year. Bad defensive coaching and player development has cost this school 2-3 state titles. I mean with even an average d, they take the 2012 and 2013 titles. I firmly believe that Those offenses were beyond explosive.

It gets annoying watching the d give up score after score quickly when stud offenses led by Trubisky and krizancic types at qb have to claw to put up huge points against way better defenses

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 08-02-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Interview with Triv, Tatarunas, and Pedley: https://www.spreaker.com/user/uplift...h-school-hc-tr
Old 08-04-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Looks like there's going to be a lot of pressure on Triv to run up the score (see Massillon thread).
Old 08-04-17, 11:03 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
They are doing the exact opposite of what you should do with 2 stud dline rushers as the strength of your team.

They also screwed up Kurt laseak putting him at lb when he was clearly better on the line

A 3-4 should be used when the strength is at linebacker. Mentor has had joke lbs going back to 07 for the most part with a few exceptions (like laseak even though he fit more on dline )

When your two best defenders are dline rushers , they shouldn't be space eaters. Also the 3-4 should lead to exotic looks and blitzes. Our dc funk couldn't coach a duck to swim ....

It's getting tiring talking about it. It's the same problem year after year after year. Bad defensive coaching and player development has cost this school 2-3 state titles. I mean with even an average d, they take the 2012 and 2013 titles. I firmly believe that Those offenses were beyond explosive.

It gets annoying watching the d give up score after score quickly when stud offenses led by Trubisky and krizancic types at qb have to claw to put up huge points against way better defenses

Though Triv is now retired, all coaches are primarily paid to teach in the class room -- the reason for mediocre coaching on the field -- but it doesn't have to be this way. It is obvious that Mentor should stay in the 4-3. They had teams with great talent but were continually outcoached or simply did not put the best 22 players on the field. I guess at this point, nothing should surprise us.
Old 08-05-17, 06:39 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Seems like you are preparing the I told you so narrative.

I also have to call you out on joke lbs comment. do you think you and cardzfan are the only two mentor fans who read this? You literally just called roughly 25 former cardinals jokes. Bad form man.

Old 08-05-17, 07:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Interview with Triv, Tatarunas, and Pedley: https://www.spreaker.com/user/uplift...h-school-hc-tr
I don't remember Pedley. Was he a starter all of last year at DE?

Last edited by CardzFan1; 08-05-17 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post

I also have to call you out on joke lbs comment. do you think you and cardzfan are the only two mentor fans who read this? You literally just called roughly 25 former cardinals jokes. Bad form man.

I never said anything about Mentor's LB's. I said that if your two best impact players on defense are DE's, you DON'T use a three man front. Football basics. I'm criticizing the coaches, not the kids
Old 08-05-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Do you enjoy trolling our thread ? Look at your post history. You literally post half the time trolling this thread or coming at me. Get a life

My call out is at the coaching and development on defense. Not the kids. I've said many of times that they screw up talent by putting them in bad spots. Which is why I brought up laseak

That's why the lb unit is usually a joke
The whole post was on that. You picked out one point to try to pivot the overall point. Do you work for CNN?

If you actually cared to read instead of selectively trying to fish for fights all the time then you'd see that. I've always said it's coaching and development on d. And I've defended talent being there Hence all the players who go d1-d3 in college after from our defense

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 08-05-17 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I never said anything about Mentor's LB's. I said that if your two best impact players on defense are DE's, you DON'T use a three man front. Football basics. I'm criticizing the coaches, not the kids

He's calling me out. Look at his post history. Guy likes to fish to argue on here .

He'll dig with whoever will fight back so he comes at me often. Real piece of work. Needs to get a life.

He likes to stir it up in here. Piggybacked Eds guy defending him to get that sidetrack going too. But it was deleted by mods for trolling

It's what he does. Seems to have a miserable life. Really pathetic

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 08-05-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
I don't remember Pedley. Was he a starter all of last year at DE?

He played LB last year which makes it even more puzzling to move him. In a 3-4, your best talent at rushing the qb should be at olb. The space eaters on dline then occupy blockers to open it up for the playmakers

So of course our d staff will put these guys at 3-4 de Makes perfect sense ...

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 08-05-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-05-17, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

Week 2 opponent preview (St Ignatius): http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...us-week-2.html

IMO, this is the only game on the schedule where I give Mentor very little chance of winning. Not that Ignatius returns a lot of big time talent, but I expect them to reload. A strong Mentor team would be the favorite as Ignatius has some unknowns at key positions (QB and LB). But coming off a non-playoff season, I don't think outside observers could have that kind of confidence in Mentor for this game.
Old 08-05-17, 11:58 AM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Week 2 opponent preview (St Ignatius): http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...us-week-2.html

IMO, this is the only game on the schedule where I give Mentor very little chance of winning. Not that Ignatius returns a lot of big time talent, but I expect them to reload. A strong Mentor team would be the favorite as Ignatius has some unknowns at key positions (QB and LB). But coming off a non-playoff season, I don't think outside observers could have that kind of confidence in Mentor for this game.
Thanks for the nice write-up. I foresee this week 2 game as being a fairly close match-up.

The Cats need to gain experience at QB, the DLine and at LB. Playing Hoban in week 1 will help as compared to first week games vs Normandy the past 2 seasons. With the Cats talent level uncertainty and inexperience of the D's front 6 along with the Cards’ offensive system, talent and experience, this game will be a significant challenge for the Cats’ defense. The Cats’ ball control on offense with Bobinski is going to be important to keep the Cards’ offense off the field.

For the Cardinals, I envision this season could be quite similar to Ignatius’ experience last year – a previous disappointing non-playoff season, followed by a very strong season and playoff run. The Cards have talent, experience and they will be motivated. I recall the posts of 4 years ago about this senior class being highly regarded coming out of middle school and as freshmen, they only lost to Ignatius. Several got significant varsity playing time as sophomores and this will be their 3rd year. Last season had some unfortunate injuries and inconsistency. With 14 starters returning at most positions, I really think the Cards are poised to make a deep run this year.

Week 2 will be a fun game and I expect there likely could once again be a round 2 in the post-season.
Old 08-06-17, 07:13 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I remember thinking the same thing 2 years ago about the Iggy at Mentor game. I contemplated going to a different game that week. My friend that likes to go to Ohio HS football games too, decided it was going to be a blowout, so he didn't go. I did a last minute, I'm going to it. 65-58 final score later, man was I pumped that I didn't bail. Great game. And my friend was mad at himself for the rest of that season for blowing it off. It's a rivalry game, and we all know what can happen in a rivalry game.
Old 08-06-17, 09:36 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
This has been mentioned before but let's make it clear. Reading and posting on a public forum is not trolling. I have an interest in Mentor football just like I do Middletown football. People here like hs football and are welcome to participate in any thread. Someone deleted a response earlier on that said why don't you two just text each other if you don't want people chiming in?

As for miserable life. Hmmm. A guy who is probably near thirty ripping the coaches (and players) of the high school team he claims loyalty to. Interesting.

On another note I am excited to watch Mentor play week one. We will be making the trip and I can't wait to see that 34 defense in action.
Old 08-06-17, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Mods deleted it because you were trying to get the Eds sidetrack going again while everyone had moved on.

That is trolling. Purposely trying to sidetrack to something negative in our team thread. You do it all the time. Anyone can look at your post history and see you love to be an ahole and get arguments going

Stop trying to play innocent

Ps: Whole post was about lack of coaching and development on the defensive side. So when I say the lb units are a joke I'm saying it's cuz of that

That's why I've brought up the college talent when people try to say we put everyone good on offfense. But you ignore this because you like to nitpick to start stuff

Old 08-06-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Nice write up as always. Very informative

Old 08-06-17, 12:54 PM
All American

Quote:
This has been mentioned before but let's make it clear. Reading and posting on a public forum is not trolling. I have an interest in Mentor football just like I do Middletown football. People here like hs football and are welcome to participate in any thread. Someone deleted a response earlier on that said why don't you two just text each other if you don't want people chiming in?

As for miserable life. Hmmm. A guy who is probably near thirty ripping the coaches (and players) of the high school team he claims loyalty to. Interesting.

On another note I am excited to watch Mentor play week one. We will be making the trip and I can't wait to see that 34 defense in action.
Here is quote from someone about trolling from another post that might fit:

"I know you!!!
people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others) "

I'm sure he'll be looking it up!
Old 08-06-17, 01:14 PM
All American

Quote:
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/

Some positive vibes here. On paper, the offense looks strong. Bringing back a three year starting QB with over 5,000 career passing yards. Biggest playmaker (Shea) at receiver returns. Baird and Kleinhenz also help provide experience and talent at the position. Lots of size and talent on the line too. Offensively, the main concern is the running game. Without a strong RB, that puts more pressure on Tatarunas - who is not been mobile or confident in his legs the past two years.

Defensively, anybody watching has to be concerned. Potter and Pedley were sophomore gems last year and both were showing potential to be big playmakers this season. But Triv/Funk are changing the defense to a 3-4. The last time the defense used a 3 man front highlighted by two talented and athletic juniors on the edge (Berger and Maddox), it was a tragically bad defense on 2012.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why put your best playmakers on the edges of a 3-4? Those guys are just going to get double teamed every play. Clearly these two coaches know how to defense, so what do I know. Ugh

I'm still not a fan of players playing both ways -- Shea is listed as a WR/CB. He has been injured often throughout the past three years. Like to see the staff decide on one position for each player.
Old 08-06-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
If you a great player you can play both ways.
Old 08-06-17, 01:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
If you a great player you can play both ways.
Being great has nothing to do with it. With the amount of players that Mentor has, a fresh player should be able to be at least as effective as a tired player coming from the other side of the ball. All of the defensive skill players already play on special teams. Not ever leaving the field is not necessary at Mentor. At Mentor, there is not a need to show you are great when you can be greater playing one side of the ball.
Old 08-06-17, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

So does the kenston scrimmage start at 10 for jv and 11 for varsity on Tuesday ?

Looking forward to that and Browns training camp on Tuesday

Old 08-06-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Relax. Shea will probably primarily play wr with a handful of snaps at corner each game depending on the situation

I doubt he plays the whole game on each side of the ball

Old 08-06-17, 03:38 PM
All American

Still would like to see the potential starters by position. Can anyone supply?
Old 08-06-17, 03:50 PM
All American

Starters:

Offense

QB - Tatarunas
RB
WR - Baird
WR - Shea
WR - Kleinhenz
WR -
OT - Churney
OG - Kidner
C - Shonauer
OG -
OT - Jacoby

Defense

DE - Potter
NT -
DE - Pedley
LB - Shelley
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB - Laganke
CB -
S - Warren
S - Bray

K - McIntosh
P - Kleinhenz

Can anyone fill in the blanks?
Old 08-06-17, 04:24 PM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Starters:

Offense

QB - Tatarunas
RB - Chris Edmond
WR - Baird
WR - Shea
WR - Kleinhenz
WR - Braden Geffert (sp?)
OT - Churney
OG - Kidner
C - Shonauer
OG - Nick Samac
OT - Jacoby

Defense

DE - Potter
NT - Dan Garcar
DE - Pedley
LB - Shelley
LB -
LB -
LB -
CB - Laganke
CB - Jackson Paglio
S - Warren
S - Bray

K - McIntosh
P - Kleinhenz

Can anyone fill in the blanks?
Here are my guesses.....I think Warren is a CB. I'm in the dark on the LBs:
Old 08-06-17, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

It's even more scary that you don't know 3 of the 4 linebackers and we are going to a system where the linebackers should be the playmakers..

But hey let's make our 2 best pass rushers into space eaters !

Old 08-07-17, 09:00 AM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's even more scary that you don't know 3 of the 4 linebackers and we are going to a system where the linebackers should be the playmakers..

But hey let's make our 2 best pass rushers into space eaters !

A couple names I neglected to mention, and if everything goes well these 2 could make a huge impact this year. These 2 were arguably the best kids in the Mentor system coming out of 8th grade into 9th. Both haven't played since Freshman year. We'll see how health and inactivity come into play:

Matt Hartman - WR
Elijah McDougle - he could be one of the LBs?

Are any other posters hearing about how these 2 may be used?
Old 08-07-17, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Next opponent preview (Glenville): http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...le-week-3.html
Old 08-08-17, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

Scrimmage reactions from today: http://www.news-herald.com/article/2...ORTS/170809426