Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-16, 07:26 AM
Freshman

shawnbertin is on a distinguished road
Canton Central Catholic Baseball

I see Jake Vance is still going to be playing on the team considering he is still under house arrest probation and license is suspended. If you all don't know he ran from the cops at a very high speed down Wales Rd and crashed into a gas station. we was arrested for a felony but since he can pitch good and his parents have money he got it reduced. This is all fact. The administration wanted to be kicked off the team but someone higher up let him back on the team, only back on the team not to play him. Doug Miller is the one letting this criminal play on the team. Its a shame that Doug Miller is letting him play. he can sit on the bench and cheer his team on. This is not the first time Doug Miller has let criminals play. The teams motto is "do the right thing" well Doug Miller you need to do the "right thing" and not play this kid. What does this teach the younger students, it says that if you are a great player and parents have money you can do anything. People need to be asking Doug Miller how he can let this happen. but for him its win al all cost glad to see him leave
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-16, 08:37 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
DB is this your duplicate? I am pretty sure the entire legal system is based off what you are convicted of and not some guy with a lot of time on his hands and Yappi handles speculating. He did sit out 14 games while charges were pending, this arrangement was agreed upon by not only Vance's lawyers but also the judge and the prosecutor. "He got it reduced because he can pitch well and his parents have money" is not a statement of fact. I am sure if you are that worried about it you can petition the court, get a review of the transcripts and those will not be the deciding factors.

I wondered when the adults from the CCC contingent would jump in, the same adults who vandalized their own field. The departure of the coach and Vance's reinstatement are not related in the way many lazy people would think that they are, the buyout agreement was made prior to whatever Vance did, but if I was coach, I'd do the same thing, for 37 years never intentionally breaking a rule, defending state champion in your sport, 700th career win, identified as 1 of the premier sports icons of the school by the Repository, and sitting at #1 in the poll and you are still shown the door in any part of your job, a job that you've done for 12 years. As a "lame duck" coach, he abided by an arbitrary punishment set forth by the school simply to limit the likelihood that the baseball team would repeat. The Bishop, reinstated Vance, not the coach. You are nuts!!

"This criminal" like he's some ruthless thug, the kid broke a few driving laws, not enough to be convicted of a felony that he was overcharged with from the beginning. "He could've really hurt or killed somebody" will likely be your next thought, well simply put, he didn't and because he didn't he wasn't charged with anything more severe. You on your morning commute are probably statistically more likely to seriously injure somebody than vance was on the night in question.

The example for younger students, that you are probably on the same level of intel that I am is that punishment will be provided as the admin sees fit. I refuse to air the dirty laundry of my alma mater and school that prepared me for a decent life, but I'm sure a parallel situation just 4 short months before that seems to slip your mind. It's a driving issue on a Saturday night in the first place, not really what the school should want to get into the business of policing. For a place that many Crusader sons and daughters once remained true to the white and green, our "community" as Kaylor has called it has been sharply divided. Cheer for the kids, the punishment fits the transgression, a legend is getting jammed, and apparently that school has become blood thirsty.
Old 05-17-16, 08:48 AM
Varsity

Hitz is on a distinguished road
I am not making excuses for the player, and I don't know anyone involved. I can't help by think to myself, how lucky shawnbertin must of been to never make a mistake in his youth and to never be given a second chance.

Although many of us were never caught, most people who are on this forum, have made mistakes. We were all young and either drank to much, drove to fast, or been somewhere we shouldn't have been.

He has been punished, now let him go.
Old 05-17-16, 09:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitz View Post
I am not making excuses for the player, and I don't know anyone involved. I can't help by think to myself, how lucky shawnbertin must of been to never make a mistake in his youth and to never be given a second chance.

Although many of us were never caught, most people who are on this forum, have made mistakes. We were all young and either drank to much, drove to fast, or been somewhere we shouldn't have been.

He has been punished, now let him go.
14 games for a non-OVI reckless op, Misdemeanor, plenty.
Old 05-17-16, 09:07 AM
Freshman

baseballdad09 is on a distinguished road
what about the 5 game suspension Vance was supposed to receive for showing up to a basketball game intoxicated?
Old 05-17-16, 09:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballdad09 View Post
what about the 5 game suspension Vance was supposed to receive for showing up to a basketball game intoxicated?
Now was it basketball or was it football? Since they do not have an expressed policy at Canton Central Catholic those situations are handled individually. Since there's conflict as to the sporting event, could be conflict as to whether it happened. What did he blow on a breathalyzer? Did the use blood or urine to determine the intoxicants?
Old 05-17-16, 09:22 AM
Freshman

shawnbertin is on a distinguished road
we have all made mistakes I sure have but I have never been arrested. The fact is he is under house arrest has and ankle bracelet on, and you want this criminal representing your school. I don't think he is the type of student athlete that should be representing CCHS. And yes the Bishop allowed him back on the team but is not forcing him to play baseball, that is all doug miller decision to let him play. All this shows the character of Doug miller to win at all cost. and it not like this kid just ran a stop sign or was speeding. He ran from the cops at 90+ mph and crashed into a gas station on a very busy road and dangerous road during a high traffic time. the punishment from the courts is not what I am complaining about its the fact that he should not be playing and 14 games is not enough, I want to know if it was some sophomore that was not the star would he still be on the team if he did the same thing, probably not. But since he is a great pitcher he can play shame on Doug Miller for letting him play
Old 05-17-16, 09:36 AM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbertin View Post
we have all made mistakes I sure have but I have never been arrested. The fact is he is under house arrest has and ankle bracelet on, and you want this criminal representing your school. I don't think he is the type of student athlete that should be representing CCHS. And yes the Bishop allowed him back on the team but is not forcing him to play baseball, that is all doug miller decision to let him play. All this shows the character of Doug miller to win at all cost. and it not like this kid just ran a stop sign or was speeding. He ran from the cops at 90+ mph and crashed into a gas station on a very busy road and dangerous road during a high traffic time. the punishment from the courts is not what I am complaining about its the fact that he should not be playing and 14 games is not enough, I want to know if it was some sophomore that was not the star would he still be on the team if he did the same thing, probably not. But since he is a great pitcher he can play shame on Doug Miller for letting him play
If you are so concerned about how CCHS is being represented stop trying to drag Doug miller through the mud then. I think most people are so upset about this is that we might have face their team later in the tournament, or they didn't make the team.
Old 05-17-16, 09:39 AM
All Region

Nino Brown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If it was some Sophomore that was not a star, no one would have ever known the incident occurred. And yes, the traffic violation would not be grounds to keep the kid off of the team the rest of the season.
Old 05-17-16, 09:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Central has a looooooong history of sketchy characters, why is this one such a big deal? Oh because it validates the dismissal of a great man, who you are so happy to see go after a long and storied career? Because it also allows you to form an alliance with an ally who shares a common enemy? Or is it because with Vance they are a pretty good bet to end up back at Huntington Park hoisting the great trophy and your allegiance to Central makes Miller bad because 2 people at the HS are chasing him off? Sad.
Old 05-17-16, 09:54 AM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
How old is this kid? I don't think we should ever be naming kids in forums like this putting them on blast. Kids make mistakes, he's paying a big price, let's not make it worse.
Old 05-17-16, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEBNorthGM View Post
How old is this kid? I don't think we should ever be naming kids in forums like this putting them on blast. Kids make mistakes, he's paying a big price, let's not make it worse.
He turned 18 last September. His transgressions are a matter of public record for anyone to see if they care to.
Old 05-17-16, 10:37 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

He is serving the punishment he got and deserves. Not a felony.

Why all this blame on coach Miller? In my mind, the bishop reinstating him is the issue here. If I'm the coach and the bishop reinstates him, I'm going to let him play. If he's on the team he is going to play. What's the issue. You should have an issue with the bishop reinstating him, not the coach playing him. Seems like a witch hunt here.
Old 05-17-16, 10:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

He is serving the punishment he got and deserves. Not a felony.

Why all this blame on coach Miller? In my mind, the bishop reinstating him is the issue here. If I'm the coach and the bishop reinstates him, I'm going to let him play. If he's on the team he is going to play. What's the issue. You should have an issue with the bishop reinstating him, not the coach playing him. Seems like a witch hunt here.
That was the movement being started around the school when the Bishop made his decision. It would only even have a remote chance of working on Miller because he is so compassionate and self-aware.
Old 05-17-16, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Sounds like they read the book on Kenton and Mike Mauk on how to handle legal issues!

I think the judge should have just said that any and all punishment should be imposed AFTER the completion of baseball season.

Just. Win. Baby.
Old 05-17-16, 11:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Sounds like they read the book on Kenton and Mike Mauk on how to handle legal issues!

I think the judge should have just said that any and all punishment should be imposed AFTER the completion of baseball season.

Just. Win. Baby.
Hilarious. Not even the same, nobody died as a result. Nobody was ever convicted of a felony. Other than those major factors identical, right?

A traffic violation on a Saturday evening that didn't involve substances is really no concern of the school's. The admin is solely focused on not having a stud pitcher available for a coach they've spent 4 years trying to chase off, that finally took his buyout. Anybody worried about Vance's legal troubles or the school's imagine uses that pseudo-platform to take veiled shots at the coach and or kid.
Old 05-17-16, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
Hilarious. Not even the same, nobody died as a result. Nobody was ever convicted of a felony. Other than those major factors identical, right?

A traffic violation on a Saturday evening that didn't involve substances is really no concern of the school's. The admin is solely focused on not having a stud pitcher available for a coach they've spent 4 years trying to chase off, that finally took his buyout. Anybody worried about Vance's legal troubles or the school's imagine uses that pseudo-platform to take veiled shots at the coach and or kid.
Touchy touchy touchy! No one died in that incident either.

I just like to get that dig in about Kenton whenever there is an opening so no ill will toward CCC or their coach!
Old 05-17-16, 01:40 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
This whole unfortunate set of circumstances regarding the young man, the coach, school admistration, and even the bishop, definetily make a mockery of the schools Athletic Code of Conduct policy, signed by every high school athlete regardless of sport.
Old 05-17-16, 01:46 PM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain to me how/why an athlete's status on a high school team even makes it to the level of the Bishop? If I'm not mistaken, you'd have the coach, the AD, the school principal and the President of the school as a hierarchy before you'd get to the Diocese level, let alone the Bishop himself. I didn't realize a high school baseball player's status rose to that level of importance at a Catholic high school...but apparently it does.
Old 05-17-16, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

[QUOTE=Hitnrun;6468650]This whole unfortunate set of circumstances regarding the young man, the coach, school admistration, and even the bishop, definetily make a mockery of the schools Athletic Code of Conduct policy, signed by every high school athlete regardless of sport.[/QUOTE]

True, but it should also lay out said punishment for indiscretions. Maybe he has served his punishment.

I know once we had a kid get an underage during the summer. Out of town. Team/coach never would have known, but he owned up to it and informed the coach.

The two-way senior starter (football) was suspended the whole season as that was what the players had signed and agreed. That kid sat and watch his team go the finals that year. To his credit, he stayed on the team and did whatever he could. Now..not saying the kids are angels now, but I know for a fact that strict punishment way back over 15 years ago stuck with class after class and man were they scared to death to get into trouble.

but carry on.......
Old 05-17-16, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Curious what coach Beals @ Ohio State thinks about the situation? Is he going to honor his commitment to the young man, or just move on the the next kid on his list? Neal has been known to drop kids for for what appears to be lesser indiscretions. Only would hope the young man has learned something from this unfortunate incident, and turn it into a positive.
Old 05-17-16, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
When I was in high school, we TP'd someone's house with 520+ rolls of toilet paper, accidentally tripped over and broke a light in the ground, and had so much toilet paper it clogged their gutters and septic system, and had to cancel a party they had the next day. The parent complained to our head baseball coach (it happened during baseball season). He called us in, lectured us, and we went back to practice.

Now, I'm not comparing this to speeding and driving recklessly, etc., but kids do stupid things. It sounds like he paid his dues. (and if you know me at all, you know I'm all for due punishment for mistakes)
Old 05-17-16, 02:46 PM
All District

16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
The best part of this is if Cental sucked this year no one would give a crap. If Central loses tonight or next week , no one will think about it again. I get it, the kid is a bone head and done some things wrong allegedly. The court thought it was minor and he served a huge suspension. I don't understand the big deal. Also, I'd like to know how it is fact that he was driving such a speed and fleeing from cops? Was anyone there? Did anyone see the dash cam or other evidence? Just cause he was charged doesn't mean it happened? Did the cop screw up? The ruling shows something different than everyone is saying. I have one friend who was charged with a Dui not once but twice, neither time did he get a dui because neither time did he fail the sobriety test or blow over. But both times he was taken to the station and charged and both times he went to court and the evidence showed that the cops were wrong. It happens. You have to go by what the judge rules.
Old 05-17-16, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
When I was in high school, we TP'd someone's house with 520+ rolls of toilet paper, accidentally tripped over and broke a light in the ground, and had so much toilet paper it clogged their gutters and septic system, and had to cancel a party they had the next day. The parent complained to our head baseball coach (it happened during baseball season). He called us in, lectured us, and we went back to practice.

Now, I'm not comparing this to speeding and driving recklessly, etc., but kids do stupid things. It sounds like he paid his dues. (and if you know me at all, you know I'm all for due punishment for mistakes)
That is a lot of rolls! We usually got the 100 roll box at the store! The guy we always tp'd (a teacher and coach whom we liked and pretty much warned him the nights we were going to do it) always got up early and cleaned it up before we would go by!!

It will be interesting going forward what happens in this situation.
Old 05-17-16, 07:55 PM
All Region

Terrible TD is on a distinguished road
Apparently he throws about the same speed. Maybe he only has one gear.
Old 05-17-16, 08:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16B Gappit Power View Post
Also, I'd like to know how it is fact that he was driving such a speed and fleeing from cops? Was anyone there? Did anyone see the dash cam or other evidence? Just cause he was charged doesn't mean it happened?
He chose to not contest the four charges he subsequently was found guilty of. That's why it looks like it probably happened.

Quote:
The court thought it was minor...
WOW!

He pleaded 'no contest' and was found guilty of the four charges -

1 - Reckless Operation
2 - Operating Without Reasonable Control
3 - Speeding 63/45
4 - Misdemeanor Failure to Comply with Order or Signal of an Officer (reduced from a Felony)

He was ordered to pay for property damage.

His dad paid $785 in fines.

He received 5 years of probation.

His driver license is suspended for 3 years.

He's been ordered to serve 100 hours of community service at House of Loreto, a nursing home in Canton.

He received 180 days in jail with 120 days suspended.

The 60 day sentence is to be served under house arrest with electronic monitoring.

He has permission to attend and drive to work and school functions.

Just think if it hadn't been a minor incident.
Old 05-17-16, 08:43 PM
All District

andre is on a distinguished road
I know Massillon lost and you are running out of teams to troll but give it a break already, the kid is back on the team nothing is changing about it. Go cheer Jackson on as they have a great shot at winning it all
Old 05-17-16, 10:19 PM
All District

16B Gappit Power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
He chose to not contest the four charges he subsequently was found guilty of. That's why it looks like it probably happened.

WOW!

He pleaded 'no contest' and was found guilty of the four charges -

1 - Reckless Operation
2 - Operating Without Reasonable Control
3 - Speeding 63/45
4 - Misdemeanor Failure to Comply with Order or Signal of an Officer (reduced from a Felony)

He was ordered to pay for property damage.

His dad paid $785 in fines.

He received 5 years of probation.

His driver license is suspended for 3 years.

He's been ordered to serve 100 hours of community service at House of Loreto, a nursing home in Canton.

He received 180 days in jail with 120 days suspended.

The 60 day sentence is to be served under house arrest with electronic monitoring.

He has permission to attend and drive to work and school functions.

Just think if it hadn't been a minor incident.
If you researched all this stuff and have this much interests in this, you really need to get a life. Or get a girlfriend or something. Wow. Like i said if central sucked no one would care. It's all jealousy or the need to put someone or some people down. Geez, who cares. It affects your life in no way
Old 05-18-16, 08:20 AM
All American

Quote:
If you researched all this stuff and have this much interests in this, you really need to get a life. Or get a girlfriend or something. Wow. Like i said if central sucked no one would care. It's all jealousy or the need to put someone or some people down. Geez, who cares. It affects your life in no way
The issue isn't that a lot of people are "throw the baby out with the bath water" when it comes to young people making mistakes. It just is when you have the confluence of a few factors: The player is exceptional, he is talented enough to receive a scholarship from a VERY noteworthy school, his parents are financially solvent, any type of an appeal is won, his presence makes his team VERY formidable going forward, and lack of support from people associated with the school. All of those are in play here. What is the very puzzling thing is that people are asking this coach to "Do the Right Thing" I would say a very skilled, eligible athlete is the right thing to do regardless of the situation, how would it be right to punitively punish a young man who the Bishop has declared eligible? I have a tough time rationalizing that and finding going rogue and leaving a player like that on the bench. The fact the school leadership has not released a statement is more of an indication of their situation with the baseball coach/AD/teacher.

As far as OSU apparently, they intend to keep him on scholarship, from all that I've heard. Either way, he'd end up being signed by a Division 1 school. While Beals has taken a hard line, I've seen as much dash cam footage as any of you, as the school, and the general public which is none. I'd hate to speculate he was overcharged but it could be what has happened here.

This particular young man is an exceptional case of attention given to HS athletes and the unfortunate part is that some of them turn 18. He happened to turn 18 prior to being involved in an ugly situation. The attention works both ways and unfortunately this is the opposite side of the coin than he has ever dealt with before.
Old 05-18-16, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No, it's merely the desire to see that the truth is told regardless of how inconvenient it is. That's ALL it is.

This wasn't a minor incident.