Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-15-17, 01:11 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
MaxPreps DIII Preview

Kinda found this interesting. Not that it means anything, but was surprised to see him view St. V as a complete afterthought.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/7033N86...nd-preview.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 02:34 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Kinda found this interesting. Not that it means anything, but was surprised to see him view St. V as a complete afterthought.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/7033N86...nd-preview.htm
Not too surprising. The Irish are young, real young. And they had some clunkers last year. Plus, they lost their 2 best players on defense to graduation. Still, the Irish will be fine. We'll see who is standing at the end of the day!
Old 07-15-17, 03:54 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
How can a person not have SVSM in your top 5? I'll take a guess State will be Desales vs Hoban and Trotwood vs TCC
Last year
1. Hoban
2. Desales
3. SVSM
4. Trotwood
5. TCC
Old 07-15-17, 03:57 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
Your guess would be wrong��
Old 07-15-17, 06:17 PM
All District

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Max Preps is the same people who have Shane Hamm listed as a sophomore. They don't do much homework.
Old 07-15-17, 08:11 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I guarantee that Hoban won't be in the state final 4 for D3.
Old 07-15-17, 10:10 PM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I think I found Ben's playbook for University School. How is he allowed to be a head coach?
4 head coaching jobs. 4 playoff teams.
Old 07-15-17, 10:53 PM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
The Benedictine people are a little rough on him when they have way more issues in Welo, then they did with Ben. The Bengals need to really look at the program right now because there its not very good. Do I think Ben, is the best coach in the area? Absolutely not,but he is a proven winner and what he's doing at University is impressive. If they have a little defense unlike the prior years they could at best make a regional final appearance which is a great season for them. There is no way they will win that region. TCC will win it with ease again. My preseason top 5 rankings would be 1.Trotwood Madison 2.Desales 3. Dunbar 4. Hoban 5. TCC
Old 07-15-17, 11:14 PM
All Ohio

kmac57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfever123 View Post
The Benedictine people are a little rough on him when they have way more issues in Welo, then they did with Ben. The Bengals need to really look at the program right now because there its not very good. Do I think Ben, is the best coach in the area? Absolutely not,but he is a proven winner and what he's doing at University is impressive. If they have a little defense unlike the prior years they could at best make a regional final appearance which is a great season for them. There is no way they will win that region. TCC will win it with ease again. My preseason top 5 rankings would be 1.Trotwood Madison 2.Desales 3. Dunbar 4. Hoban 5. TCC
Agree with one exception.Believe you have Dunbar over valued. Bishop Hartley should and will be in the discussion as the season progresses.
Old 07-16-17, 02:22 AM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Hoban will not be making the playoffs in D3. I will guarantee that
Old 07-16-17, 05:48 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Ben lost to Gilmour last year. Beating on below average schools and winning a playoff game in a very weak region make you a proven winner?
If you take 4/4 schools you have head coached at to the playoffs, wouldn't that be the exact definition of proven?
Old 07-16-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Hoban moves to D-2
Old 07-16-17, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

kmac57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Attack View Post
Hoban will not be making the playoffs in D3. I will guarantee that
LOL duh, forgot they moved to DII.
Old 07-16-17, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
If you take 4/4 schools you have head coached at to the playoffs, wouldn't that be the exact definition of proven?
Playoff record? That's the exact definition of proven.
Old 07-16-17, 08:06 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Playoff record? That's the exact definition of proven.
Should be more focused on Carter cracking a .500 or above record, than what the former head coach who left on his own, playoff record is.

Ben has won and gone to the playoffs everywhere he has gone. Discrediting his ability is just sour grapes over him choosing to leave.
Old 07-16-17, 08:30 AM
All Ohio

Central OH Football is on a distinguished road
My Rankings would go:

1. TM
2. Columbus DeSales
3. TCC
4. SVSM
5. Hartley

I think there's a decent drop off from 3 to 4 though. Dunbar and Tri-Valley are two teams I think could really surprise some people. Dunbar with star power, and Tri-Valley proved very tough last year. They have been consistently showing their ability as a program for a few years now.
Old 07-16-17, 11:54 AM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Should be more focused on Carter cracking a .500 or above record, than what the former head coach who left on his own, playoff record is.

Ben has won and gone to the playoffs everywhere he has gone. Discrediting his ability is just sour grapes over him choosing to leave.
Agree. Because after all the cramping and complaining from the Bengal faithful over the last 10 months they have proven themselves as a "what have you done for me lately" contingent. The current coach has only 10 games under his belt and already his critics pout.

Wasn't Malbasa three head coaches ago? Gee whiz.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

No sour grapes, things worked out well for Benny after he left.

Ben views this as a hobby and playoff caliber coaches will always kill him in the playoffs. His first year at Benny he had a much better roster than Lake Catholic yet Bell made him look like a fool killing him in both games. Again what is the guys playoff record? What are the scores of these games too. The guy shows no loyalty and the kids know it, he will never win a thing of note and qualifying for the playoffs in the era of 8 teams per division means squat.
Old 07-16-17, 01:48 PM
All American

The last line is fabulous. I would add to that, though...considering the athletic advantages that schools like Benedictine have over say...Perry....not winning a state title every single year means squat!

You see how dumb that sounds? Do you? Almost as dumb as the axe you are grinding. You don't know him and certainly you don't know about loyalty....and people at Benedictine seem to know it now.

Old 07-16-17, 01:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
No sour grapes, things worked out well for Benny after he left.

Ben views this as a hobby and playoff caliber coaches will always kill him in the playoffs. His first year at Benny he had a much better roster than Lake Catholic yet Bell made him look like a fool killing him in both games. Again what is the guys playoff record? What are the scores of these games too. The guy shows no loyalty and the kids know it, he will never win a thing of note and qualifying for the playoffs in the era of 8 teams per division means squat.
If it doesn't mean squat. What does it mean for a coach that can't make the top 8, while having a d1 level running back and a group of kids with playoff experience and a good culture under them?
I'd think since being in the top 8 isn't an accomplishment, that Carter should have easily got a top 4 spot. Considering he had a team with players that have playoff experience. A good culture established by Schafer and a d1 level running back.

Id take the the coach that gets to the playoffs wherever he goes. Over the coach that got his job because of child hood connections and doesn't make it at all.
Old 07-16-17, 05:00 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Max Preps is clueless. Talk to me Week 14 when STVM is still playing. They are very young but the skill talent in the 2020 Class is legit. The Irish play the most difficult schedule in D3. The Irish, Dunbar and Trotwood are 3 teams loaded with speed. Desales Hartley and Watterson are the favorites in Region 11. TCC and Glenville Region 10 Trotwood Alter are among the favorites in region 12. Akron STVM and Akron East in Region 9. Let's revisit this discussion in Week 13 and see how close my projections are??? I am willing to bet much closer than Max Preps (Matt Frantz)
Old 07-16-17, 06:13 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Max Preps is clueless. Talk to me Week 14 when STVM is still playing. They are very young but the skill talent in the 2020 Class is legit. The Irish play the most difficult schedule in D3. The Irish, Dunbar and Trotwood are 3 teams loaded with speed. Desales Hartley and Watterson are the favorites in Region 11. TCC and Glenville Region 10 Trotwood Alter are among the favorites in region 12. Akron STVM and Akron East in Region 9. Let's revisit this discussion in Week 13 and see how close my projections are??? I am willing to bet much closer than Max Preps (Matt Frantz)
Watterson has a long way to go to crack Top 8 in Region 11 they didn't even field a freshman Team last year. And their schedule is not in their favor.

I would say the usual suspects :

DeSales
Hartley
Jackson
Sheridan
New Philly
Dover ( Were very young last year expect a big leap this year )
With the lat 2 spots going to the Winner of the Eastmoor / Marion Franklin game.
And Beechcroft
Hamilton Township has had a Coaching change, but were really building a solid winning program. Will have to see how they respond to their new staff.
Old 07-16-17, 06:46 PM
All American

Good luck in division 2...benedicglennvillestedward

Old 07-17-17, 05:57 AM
Freshman

OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
Loyalty huh? Instead of bashing BM, y'all could make some sorta kind words that two of y'all state champion alums are doing great jobs as his assistant coaches and helpin with a good culture SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
The last line is fabulous. I would add to that, though...considering the athletic advantages that schools like Benedictine have over say...Perry....not winning a state title every single year means squat!

You see how dumb that sounds? Do you? Almost as dumb as the axe you are grinding. You don't know him and certainly you don't know about loyalty....and people at Benedictine seem to know it now.

Old 07-17-17, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

^^^

Actually that is the face you see when you finally look at the facts that Ben's 2016 defense gave up 101 points in 2 playoff games including 45 to Bowling Green. How can any team that has that poor a defense be considered preseason top 10? Are they really on par with Glenville and that much better than SVSM like Max Preps think? I also find it interesting that those that defend Ben can only do so by cutting down one of the many places he use to coach, I am more than happy to pick that discussion back up over on the Benny thread but let's talk here about the US program he is building up and their chances in Div III in 2017. Cool?

I actually think he has made some baby steps at US, including beefing up the schedule w/ Steubenville, but he does continue to unbalance the roster and place too much emphasis on his offense. As DB pointed out to me a long time ago he really does seem to look like he is playing Madden football when calling a game and doesn't put the kids in the right place to succeed, very frustrating to the parents. This is especially a problem when the weather turns bad in November and is evident by the lopsided scores at that time of year. My prediction for US in 2017 is a nice 8-2 type record with a probable 1 and done come playoff time, certainly not a top 10 level team.
Old 07-17-17, 03:47 PM
All District

Footballfever123 is on a distinguished road
Who have the DC's been since Joe at Benedictine? It doesn't seem like whoever they have been, havent been very good that's just my opinion,but they give up a lot of points. Has anyone else hired his former DCs to coach on any other staffs? How have they done since they left Ben?

Last edited by Footballfever123; 07-17-17 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Editing