Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-04-18, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Word is now that they could franchise tag him again so that could trade him and get back some of what they gave up to acquire Smith. That would be a little short sighted as he could just hold off signing the franchise deal and poison the well by spreading the word he wouldn't sign a long term deal if traded.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-18, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
  1. Brady - 40 - $41m/2 yrs + $28m bonus
  2. Rodgers - 29 - $110m/5 yrs + $33.5m bonus
  3. Brees - 38 - $24.25m/1 yr + $30m bonus
  4. Roethlisberger - 32 - $87.4m/4 yrs + $31m bonus
  5. Wilson - 27 - $87.6m/4 yrs + $31m bonus
  6. Ryan - 32 - $103.75m/5 yrs + $28m bonus
  7. Wentz - 23 - $26.6m/4 yrs + $17.6m bonus
  8. Rivers - 34 - $83.25m/4 yrs + $22.5m
  9. Cousins - 29
  10. Stafford - 29 - $135m/5 yrs + $50m bonus

It seems like Cousins is seeking something around $22m per year...Of course that's not including a Browns tax.
Seems about right.
Old 02-04-18, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Simply talent. Some of the talking heads act like he's the second coming, but I don't see him as a top 8 QB. I realize that next to what we've seen since 1999, he looks like Joe Montana.
Heís not elite.
Old 02-04-18, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
  1. Brady - 40 - $41m/2 yrs + $28m bonus
  2. Rodgers - 29 - $110m/5 yrs + $33.5m bonus
  3. Brees - 38 - $24.25m/1 yr + $30m bonus
  4. Roethlisberger - 32 - $87.4m/4 yrs + $31m bonus
  5. Wilson - 27 - $87.6m/4 yrs + $31m bonus
  6. Ryan - 32 - $103.75m/5 yrs + $28m bonus
  7. Wentz - 23 - $26.6m/4 yrs + $17.6m bonus
  8. Rivers - 34 - $83.25m/4 yrs + $22.5m
  9. Cousins - 29
  10. Stafford - 29 - $135m/5 yrs + $50m bonus

It seems like Cousins is seeking something around $22m per year...Of course that's not including a Browns tax.
If you think Cousins is going to sign for $22 million a year, I think you're absolutely nuts. His franchise tag last year was higher. He'll want 22 per guaranteed. His total contract is likely to make him the highest paid player in football for a bit.
Old 02-04-18, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Word is now that they could franchise tag him again so that could trade him and get back some of what they gave up to acquire Smith. That would be a little short sighted as he could just hold off signing the franchise deal and poison the well by spreading the word he wouldn't sign a long term deal if traded.
So whoever reported that Cousins was included in the trade was wrong ? KC can't tag him. Not sure how the Redskins could both execute a 2018 contract for Smith AND have the cap room to apply the tag to Cousins. Something doesn't seem right.
Old 02-04-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
That's what was reported in the summer. If he wants more then so be it. QBs aren't cheap.
Old 02-04-18, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Simply talent. Some of the talking heads act like he's the second coming, but I don't see him as a top 8 QB. I realize that next to what we've seen since 1999, he looks like Joe Montana.
Not sure he's even top 10, but he holds all the cards.
Old 02-04-18, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's what was reported in the summer. If he wants more then so be it. QBs aren't cheap.
Here's the reality of it -

Stafford - 5 year averaging $27m

Carr - 5 yr avg $25m

Luck - 5 yr avg $24.6m

Brees - 1 yr $24.25m exp 2017

Cousins - 1 yr $24m exp 2017

He may take less if he prioritizes destination.

The guy's diet and exercise routine is every bit as obsessive as Brady's - he just isn't hyped about it.

Who's in the hunt ? Denver, Vikes, NYJ, Browns, Cards, Bills, Jags ? Missing anyone ? He's going to get paid bigly. Overpaid.

The Browns don't need to do this. It would be kind of dumb, actually.
Old 02-04-18, 12:13 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Even Jeopardy is ripping on the Browns.

LOl nerds.
Old 02-04-18, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Here's the reality of it -

Stafford - 5 year averaging $27m

Carr - 5 yr avg $25m

Luck - 5 yr avg $24.6m

Brees - 1 yr $24.25m exp 2017

Cousins - 1 yr $24m exp 2017

He may take less if he prioritizes destination.

The guy's diet and exercise routine is every bit as obsessive as Brady's - he just isn't hyped about it.

Who's in the hunt ? Denver, Vikes, NYJ, Browns, Cards, Bills, Jags ? Missing anyone ? He's going to get paid bigly. Overpaid.

The Browns don't need to do this. It would be kind of dumb, actually.
So the going rate for a proven QB now is around $24m. Why would paying that be a dumb move? You think it would be better to take a chance on a rookie just to save cap space?
Old 02-04-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So the going rate for a proven QB now is around $24m. Why would paying that be a dumb move? You think it would be better to take a chance on a rookie just to save cap space?
Actually, that^ is inaccurate. It's a gross over-simplification. Not since Bradford and Stafford has starting a top QB pick been regarded as necessary due to cap considerations.

Never before in my memory have there been this many serviceable FA QB options. They would be taking a chance on a mentor/bridge to train a rookie and Kizer over "a proven QB now (at) around $24m". The actual choice involving a rookie QB could easily be far better.

People are going to "overpay" for Cousins. Why ? Because they have to, as it's likely their sole option to improve the position. They will not be in the position to have the pick of an NFL draft, like the Browns are.

Whoever over-pays Cousins, and someone will, is just as likely to "Flacco" themselves as they are to achieve their goals.

Anyone who points to the Browns' 20 year failure to land a QB is either a troll or a simpleton. That legacy has nothing to do with Dorsey's and Highsmith's talent evaluation. There was no son-of-a-Wolf around to network. The experienced front office types were d1cks disliked by their contemporaries. This is a whole new situation. I trust these guys. They may decide after all is sifted through in the combine, etc, that Cousins/Barkley/Minkah or Chubb (def) is their best path. I'd respect that. To say today that path is best would be pitifully stupid.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 02-04-18 at 12:56 PM..
Old 02-04-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

What a bunch of nonsense.

At 29, Cousins is not a bridge to anyone. Based on his play, he absolutely is worth the going rate and the Browns have the cap room to sign him three times.
Old 02-04-18, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Yeah, if the Browns really are positioning themselves to catapult over mediocrity to the NFL elite, as Weirdo HS claimed in the past, signing Cousins would actually give them a chance to do that.
Old 02-04-18, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually, that^ is inaccurate. It's a gross over-simplification. Not since Bradford and Stafford has starting a top QB pick been regarded as necessary due to cap considerations.

Never before in my memory have there been this many serviceable FA QB options. They would be taking a chance on a mentor/bridge to train a rookie and Kizer over "a proven QB now (at) around $24m". The actual choice involving a rookie QB could easily be far better.

People are going to "overpay" for Cousins. Why ? Because they have to, as it's likely their sole option to improve the position. They will not be in the position to have the pick of an NFL draft, like the Browns are.

Whoever over-pays Cousins, and someone will, is just as likely to "Flacco" themselves as they are to achieve their goals.

Anyone who points to the Browns' 20 year failure to land a QB is either a troll or a simpleton. That legacy has nothing to do with Dorsey's and Highsmith's talent evaluation. There was no son-of-a-Wolf around to network. The experienced front office types were d1cks disliked by their contemporaries. This is a whole new situation. I trust these guys. They may decide after all is sifted through in the combine, etc, that Cousins/Barkley/Minkah or Chubb (def) is their best path. I'd respect that. To say today that path is best would be pitifully stupid.
Cousins is a known quantity. A rookie is a crap shoot. Give me the experienced guy who has proven he can play at this level over the unknown.

Anyway it's a moot point because he isn't signing here. He'll probably end up in Denver and win a title, then the fan base can sit around talking about "remember when we could've had Cousins and we signed AJ McCarron instead"

Last edited by y2h; 02-04-18 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-04-18, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

I think y2H is correct in that Cousins isn't coming here in any event unless the Browns completely lose their minds and pay him substantially more than a competitive team, and that's very unlikely to happen. He's a good QB, but just that, somewhere in the 8 to 12 range.

Coming out of training camp, for QBs, the Browns will have the #1 pick, veteran bridge QB and Kizer. Survey says: Darnold-Daniels-Kizer.
Old 02-04-18, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
The average Cousins season as a starter is pretty much 4,000 yards/67%/27td/12int/96rating on a not very good team. To get those numbers from whatever QB the Browns could draft would be a home run. The cap space is there. Take the sure thing. Give Cousins the weapons to go even beyond his already good numbers. The cap space is there to do it. The draft picks are in place to do it. Why gamble on this QB crop? If there were a Luck or Manning this year...the absolute sure thing...I would go that route, but that is not the case with this crop.
Old 02-04-18, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah, if the Browns really are positioning themselves to catapult over mediocrity to the NFL elite, as Weirdo HS claimed in the past, signing Cousins would actually give them a chance to do that.
At this point, the Browns just getting to mediocrity will require a catapult. It's a big jump from where they are to mediocre.
Old 02-04-18, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense.

At 29, Cousins is not a bridge to anyone. Based on his play, he absolutely is worth the going rate and the Browns have the cap room to sign him three times.
Of course not. No one has called him a bridge QB in here or last year's thread - ever. A very few have even entertained the thought of both signing him AND drafting a QB highly, and last of all me. If that's an attempt at a strawman, it's a damn poor one.

You're an abject moron.
Old 02-04-18, 05:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think y2H is correct in that Cousins isn't coming here in any event unless the Browns completely lose their minds and pay him substantially more than a competitive team, and that's very unlikely to happen. He's a good QB, but just that, somewhere in the 8 to 12 range.

Coming out of training camp, for QBs, the Browns will have the #1 pick, veteran bridge QB and Kizer. Survey says: Darnold-Daniels-Kizer.
No Chase Daniels, please. Just say no. They've tanked enough. They can't be afraid to win 6 games, and I think he has little to share with a rookie.
Old 02-04-18, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of course not. No one has called him a bridge QB in here or last year's thread - ever. A very few have even entertained the thought of both signing him AND drafting a QB highly, and last of all me. If that's an attempt at a strawman, it's a damn poor one.

You're an abject moron.
So you actually think drafting a rookie and signing a middling QB to mentor is the superior option to signing a proven QB just because the proven QB would command a higher salary? And I'm the moron?

Sign Cousins.
Sign Landry.
Draft Barkley.
Draft Kirkpatrick.
Old 02-04-18, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
The average Cousins season as a starter is pretty much 4,000 yards/67%/27td/12int/96rating on a not very good team. To get those numbers from whatever QB the Browns could draft would be a home run. The cap space is there. Take the sure thing. Give Cousins the weapons to go even beyond his already good numbers. The cap space is there to do it. The draft picks are in place to do it. Why gamble on this QB crop? If there were a Luck or Manning this year...the absolute sure thing...I would go that route, but that is not the case with this crop.
I'd really like to see how many of his yards came on underneath and mid routes when down 8+ points. Is there a site that breaks down player stats that way ?

He's a very good NFL QB that makes very few stupid mistakes. If he's willing to come here, he may well exceed what he's done in DC. Whether or not they go that way obviously depends upon just how big a gamble they think the best of these QBs would be.

Here's another great hire - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...-for-18-draft/
Old 02-04-18, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So you actually think drafting a rookie and signing a middling QB to mentor is the superior option to signing a proven QB just because the proven QB would command a higher salary? And I'm the moron?

Sign Cousins.
Sign Landry.
Draft Barkley.
Draft Kirkpatrick.
Have to admit thatís better than any plan Weirdo has laid out. Crusaders is homeschooling him.
Old 02-04-18, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Sign Cousins.
Sign Landry.
Draft Barkley.
Draft Kirkpatrick.
You're a goof. I've plainly said on multiple occasions that I am open to signing Cousins. Where have you been, dipsh1t ?

To say signing Cousins today is the best option, unequivocally, EVEN with the vast array of individual player personnel knowledge that you obviously must have at your disposal (you clown ), surely makes you a moron. Slam-dunk, case closed, abject moron.

I can understand a long-suffering Browns fan like cjb wanting to go that route to end his suffering, but you're a Steelers fan. You don't care if they're great - in fact you'd love to see them cap hamstrung.
Old 02-04-18, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Have to admit that’s better than any plan Weirdo has laid out. Crusaders is homeschooling him.
look who's _posing as Crusaders' fool^. The purple jester. A worthy role for you !
Old 02-04-18, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
look who's _posing as Crusaders' fool^. The purple jester. A worthy role for you !
Heís making you look like a clown on here, which obviously isnít a hard thing to do. Lol.
Old 02-04-18, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

I've wanted to see the Browns employ Scot McCloughan since I read this article while waiting for my car to be serviced. It explained a few things.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ed-living-farm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_McCloughan
Old 02-04-18, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He’s making you look like a clown on here, which obviously isn’t a hard thing to do. Lol.
There is no more meaningless opinion in these forums than your own, jester. You are Yappi's fool.

Except, of course, for those opinions concerning clothing, dining, and beer........you self-indulgent little b1tch.
Old 02-04-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

hoping crusaders comes back soon to clown on Weirdo some more.
Old 02-04-18, 06:23 PM
All Yappi

Enjoy the game, Browns fans.
Old 02-04-18, 10:36 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Haslems next call should be to the Eagles.