Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-10-19, 10:04 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Barberton D1 District

http://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/B...urnamentId=626
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-19, 04:18 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Only chance St V doesn't win this District would be if the entire squad came down with the bubonic plague 2 hours before the Final, and even then they probably still pull it out .......
Old 02-11-19, 08:55 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Only chance St V doesn't win this District would be if the entire squad came down with the bubonic plague 2 hours before the Final, and even then they probably still pull it out .......
They better make their run this year. Dru's BS about to catch up with him. All started with the loss of Livingston and others to Buchtel.
Old 02-11-19, 09:08 PM
All Region

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
They better make their run this year. Dru's BS about to catch up with him. All started with the loss of Livingston and others to Buchtel.
There is no player bigger than Druís program. You either play his way and in his system or you play somewhere else. Sampson.....VJ King.....Livingston.

Druís BS has won St V back to back state titles.
Old 02-11-19, 09:13 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
I don’t want to hear anything about Hoban recruiting football players with what Dru Joyce gets away with every year. It is what it is. He has the most talent in the state, he should win despite his mediocre coaching. That and he brings his own ref to the games as well. Kids leave the program because of his BS and bringing in more talent each year. I like the diversity too.
Old 02-11-19, 09:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I donít want to hear anything about Hoban recruiting football players with what Dru Joyce gets away with every year. It is what it is. He has the most talent in the state, he should win despite his mediocre coaching. That and he brings his own ref to the games as well. Kids leave the program because of his BS and bringing in more talent each year. I like the diversity too.
Lol.....Hoban football coach suspended and the program put on probation by the state.

Last time I checked neither Coach Dru nor the program have ever been on probation.

You hear about recruiting at Hoban because your coach is a cheat...got caught...got suspended...and got the school put on probation.

Kids leave the program for a variety of reasons.....just like football players leave the Hoban program for a variety of reasons. Trust me....they leave because of the BS as well
Old 02-11-19, 09:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
I donít want to hear anything about Hoban recruiting football players with what Dru Joyce gets away with every year. It is what it is. He has the most talent in the state, he should win despite his mediocre coaching. That and he brings his own ref to the games as well. Kids leave the program because of his BS and bringing in more talent each year. I like the diversity too.
Shame on you for playing the race card. That kind of comment isnít even worthy of a response.
Old 02-11-19, 09:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
You defend Hoban football all the time when it comes to the r word. You say itís about kids wanting to go there to better themselves....to win....to play at the highest level....to get college scholarships, etc. Good basketball players want to come to St V for the same reasons but you make it all about the coach and what heís getting away with. Sounds a little hypocritical

See you at the meet on Wednesday. Hope our wrestlers can compete with the Hoban wrestlers and the weight room.
Old 02-11-19, 10:02 PM
Varsity

WreckingBall is on a distinguished road
I'm no fan of Dru, and haven't seen them play yet this year, but last year's state title team was extremely well-coached. A lot of that may have had to do with Scotty Walters running the show on the court, but I was very impressed.

As far as Livingston goes, word is he wanted to go somewhere where his brother would have a varsity spot, that wasn't St. V, and I can't blame Dru for declining to hand him one.
Old 02-11-19, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
You defend Hoban football all the time when it comes to the r word. You say itís about kids wanting to go there to better themselves....to win....to play at the highest level....to get college scholarships, etc. Good basketball players want to come to St V for the same reasons but you make it all about the coach and what heís getting away with. Sounds a little hypocritical

See you at the meet on Wednesday. Hope our wrestlers can compete with the Hoban wrestlers and the weight room.
I agree with you there. Kids do want to come to St V to play for Dru and the ďLebronĒ mystique and a winning program. And many leave because they canít get on the court with all of that talent. I was merely pointing out the hipocracy of St V supporters complaining about Hoban football and recruiting. And I wasnít saying anything that everybody in the gym was saying privately or to themselves. It is what it is.
Old 02-11-19, 10:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
There is no player bigger than Dru’s program. You either play his way and in his system or you play somewhere else. Sampson.....VJ King.....Livingston.

Dru’s BS has won St V back to back state titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingBall View Post
I'm no fan of Dru, and haven't seen them play yet this year, but last year's state title team was extremely well-coached. A lot of that may have had to do with Scotty Walters running the show on the court, but I was very impressed.

As far as Livingston goes, word is he wanted to go somewhere where his brother would have a varsity spot, that wasn't St. V, and I can't blame Dru for declining to hand him one.
Jakaar Sampson left because of academics. He went to the prep school to have an individual education plan, according to his mother. Also St. John’s suggested he go an extra year of HS before they would give him the scholarship. If he and his family were unhappy why did he pay his brother’s tuition to SVSM?

You are correct about VJ King. His Dad wasn’t happy with his playing time. Also the Dad lost his job with FirstTee Akron and needed to find another away from Akron. Both went hand i nhand with VJ’s leaving.

WreckingBall, you are spot on regarding Livingston. However I was told the mother was insistent on the varsity spot for the twin brother. No guarantees from Dru. Jayvon Graves, as great as he became, worked his way up thru the ranks.

Another player not mentioned is Moegerle who transferred to Hoban. His Dad wasn’t happy with his son’s playing time, even though he was on varsity as a freshman. The Dad saw the players coming the following year and didn’t have enough confidence in his son’s ability to win playing time over them. Too bad, because Dom would have 2 SC rings.

Last edited by SeeYaSometime; 02-11-19 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Jakaar Sampson left because of academics. He went to the prep school to have an individual education plan, according to his mother. Also St. Johnís suggested he go an extra year of HS before they would give him the scholarship. If he and his family were unhappy why did he pay his brotherís tuition to SVSM?

You are correct about VJ King. His Dad wasnít happy with his playing time. Also the Dad lost his job with FirstTee Akron and needed to find another away from Akron. Both went hand i nhand with VJís leaving.

WreckingBall, you are spot on regarding Livingston. However I was told the mother was insistent on the varsity spot for the twin brother. No guarantees from Dru. Jayvon Graves, as great as he became, worked his way up thru the ranks.

Another player not mentioned is Moegerle who transferred to Hoban. His Dad wasnít happy with his sonís playing time, even though he was on varsity as a freshman. The Dad saw the players coming the following year and didnít have enough confidence in his sonís ability to win playing time over them. Too bad, because Dom would have 2 SC rings.
I donít think he transferred because of playing time, more like a lack of development, enviroment and vision for his son. I think it worked out for him though as he has a D1 offer in football and won a ring. I wouldnít feel to sorry for him. He would not have had either at St V.
Old 02-12-19, 09:02 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You know, I thought you were a decent guy. Maybe wrapped a little tightly about Hoban, but as a dad and as a fan, I could understand. But now you are showing your true colors spewing the same rancid, under your breath, venom about the makeup of the STVM basketball team that we have heard from Hoban fans for years. I thought we were past all of that. But apparently not. Show some class. And if you can't do that, then leave your social commentary on the shelf.
Old 02-12-19, 09:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingBall View Post

IMO Dru has become a much better coach over time. I agree in his early years, his teams were getting by as much on talent. But he has put together an experienced staff and he has greatly benefited from it. At this point, in looking at the past 3-4 years especially, I'd say Dru is a very solid coach and his staff is excellent. But I will give you that it is nice to have a "coach on the floor" like Walters!
Old 02-12-19, 10:27 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Are all students-athletes on St V basketball team and Hoban's football team baptized Catholics? Is that something that is required to attend these schools?
Old 02-12-19, 11:32 AM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
The "Dru Joyce is a mediocre coach with outstanding talent" originated when SVSM lost the SC to Roger Bacon LeBron's junior year. It was Dru's first year coaching a team with the #1 high school player in the world, following the departure of Keith Dambrot.

IMHO, Dru has evolved to be a very good coach. Last year's team was not as nearly talented as most Dru's teams. He coached very well in the post season 2017 & 2018.

The comparison between what Tyrell did at Hoban and how Dru attracts talent is not the same. As the prior poster stated, Dru has never been accused nor found guilty of OHSAA recruiting violations. Players want to play in his program.
Old 02-12-19, 11:42 AM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
You know, I thought you were a decent guy. Maybe wrapped a little tightly about Hoban, but as a dad and as a fan, I could understand. But now you are showing your true colors spewing the same rancid, under your breath, venom about the makeup of the STVM basketball team that we have heard from Hoban fans for years. I thought we were past all of that. But apparently not. Show some class. And if you can't do that, then leave your social commentary on the shelf.
I tried to warn you.
Old 02-12-19, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
This is an opinion based forum and I have an opinion. Most donít like it because it is true. I have heard Hoban parents complain about the social make up of the Hoban football teams over the past 4 years. Uncomfortable with the players and parents socio economic make up and not your traditional CYO kids. Complaints about being taken over and their kids not playing. More public school and inter city kids. Hoban is pretty diverse as is St V, all good. I made a sarcastic statement about St Vís team make up and everyone gets all riled up. Wonder why? Relax fellas, you protest too much.

And roughridersports has no valid opinion on anything lol.
Old 02-12-19, 12:16 PM
All American

Quote:
This is an opinion based forum and I have an opinion. Most donít like it because it is true. I have heard Hoban parents complain about the social make up of the Hoban football teams over the past 4 years. Uncomfortable with the players and parents socio economic make up and not your traditional CYO kids. Complaints about being taken over and their kids not playing. More public school and inter city kids. Hoban is pretty diverse as is St V, all good. I made a sarcastic statement about St Vís team make up and everyone gets all riled up. Wonder why? Relax fellas, you protest too much.

And roughridersports has no valid opinion on anything lol.
You know, it's been my experience that you can find the true measure of a man in the little things. A person is much more likely to reveal themselves in an off hand comment than in a prepared statement. Watch what someone does in private when no one is looking, and you'll get a much better view of the man than you do seeing his public persona. So you can spin this anyway you want. But you were NOT talking about Hoban's football team when you made that "sarcastic" comment. But we have heard this from Hoban for years. So this nonsense is nothing new, and this is the last I have to say about it.
Old 02-12-19, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Pots.
Kettles.
Glass houses.
Rocks.
Old 02-12-19, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
You know, it's been my experience that you can find the true measure of a man in the little things. A person is much more likely to reveal themselves in an off hand comment than in a prepared statement. Watch what someone does in private when no one is looking, and you'll get a much better view of the man than you do seeing his public persona. So you can spin this anyway you want. But you were NOT talking about Hoban's football team when you made that "sarcastic" comment. But we have heard this from Hoban for years. So this nonsense is nothing new, and this is the last I have to say about it.
No I was clearly talking about St V basketball. But in the context that I didnít want to hear complaints about Hoban recruiting football players, when St V does the same in basketball and football. St V is one of the premier basketball programs in the country, I donít begrudge them that, but itís not your typical private catholic school program some profess it to be. Having lebron James as his sidekick didnít hurt either. Good for him.
Old 02-12-19, 01:46 PM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No I was clearly talking about St V basketball. But in the context that I didnít want to hear complaints about Hoban recruiting football players, when St V does the same in basketball and football. St V is one of the premier basketball programs in the country, I donít begrudge them that, but itís not your typical private catholic school program some profess it to be. Having lebron James as his sidekick didnít hurt either. Good for him.
Keep digging that hole!
Old 02-12-19, 01:47 PM
All World

Why must we always derail threads with nonsense? Lets get back to the topic.
Old 02-12-19, 02:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Why must we always derail threads with nonsense? Lets get back to the topic.
Good point! Back to basketball. The Irish are on any given night likely 15-20 points better than any other team in the bracket. But basketball is a funny game, and on any given night someone could get hot, or someone could get into early foul trouble, or the Irish could fall in love with the 3-pointer as they are wont to do from time to time. I'm not sure how this year's Copley team compares to last year's version, but I'd expect they could give STVM a test. And I'm a little leery about playing Hoban again. Hoban has a good team and would have something to prove having been routed by 20 in the seasonal matchup. And if the Irish came in over-confident, who knows... Still, other than that, this does appear to be STVM's district to lose.
Old 02-12-19, 02:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Keep digging that hole!
Should be a politician........the spin is very entertaining.
Old 02-12-19, 02:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Good point! Back to basketball. The Irish are on any given night likely 15-20 points better than any other team in the bracket. But basketball is a funny game, and on any given night someone could get hot, or someone could get into early foul trouble, or the Irish could fall in love with the 3-pointer as they are wont to do from time to time. I'm not sure how this year's Copley team compares to last year's version, but I'd expect they could give STVM a test. And I'm a little leery about playing Hoban again. Hoban has a good team and would have something to prove having been routed by 20 in the seasonal matchup. And if the Irish came in over-confident, who knows... Still, other than that, this does appear to be STVM's district to lose.
That Hoban game will be interesting. Copley is not that good may have the only coach in the district as bad as Dru. Hoban will beat St V if they play again!
Old 02-12-19, 02:37 PM
All Region

Irish60 is spot on. The district is St V's to lose.....but in a one game playoff anything can happen. If they play Hoban in the district final.....it will not be an easy game. Will be interesting to see what adjustments both coaches make. I could see St V making a change to their starting lineup in that game to counter the physicality of Salopek and Easterling. Both of those players gave St V problems early in the game when Hoban ran out to a lead.

Fun time of the year.
Old 02-12-19, 02:48 PM
All World

Quote:
I don’t think he transferred because of playing time, more like a lack of development, enviroment and vision for his son. I think it worked out for him though as he has a D1 offer in football and won a ring. I wouldn’t feel to sorry for him. He would not have had either at St V.
I know for a fact, while you only think, the Dad was PO’d about his playing time during the tournament, particularly in Columbus and that is why he transferred. Something that won’t be a issue at Hoban.

I didn’t know Dom played football this year. Good for him. At least he got a SC ring in that sport.
Old 02-12-19, 05:38 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Ellet - Copley final.
Hoban is overrated and Dru won't be able to outcoach Hazard.
Now shut this thread down!
Old 02-13-19, 08:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Ellet - Copley final.
Hoban is overrated and Dru won't be able to outcoach Hazard.
Now shut this thread down!
Is Hazzard still Ellet's JV coach? I was doing yoga in the Himalayas for most of the season and did not see him at the city championship game. I was in the clouds though so I am not sure if I would have noticed.