Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 11:15 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
D1 Solon District

Taking a look at the Solon District one week prior to seeding

Top 2 Seeds:

Shaker Heights 11-5 (Game vs. Brush this week)
Euclid 10-5 (2 easy games prior to playing VASJ on Sat night.) Started 0-3, 10-2 since.

Both have a shot to take the #1 seed with a big win vs. a top team this week.
Teams split season series.

Seeds 3-4:
Twinsburg 12-4 Lighter schedule, lost 3 of last 4. (Solon, Royalton, Brecksville)

Warren Harding 10-7 Tough Schedule.

5. Garfield Heights 8-9 Down year. Win over Euclid. Lopsided losses to Harding and Shaker. Most losses to elite teams. Euclid and Huber Hts Wayne only quality wins.

6 Maple Heights 8-7 Decent schedule Quality losses, win over East Tech - bad loss to Strongsville

7-10 (probably about even)

Bedford 6-9
Hudson 8-7
Kenston 7-8
University 8-9

11 Nordonia 4-9
12 John Adams
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-19, 11:38 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Euclid and Shaker have been playing well. Euclid is smoking hot right now. TJ Kwasniak has the Panthers hitting on all cylinders. Big win over Shaker may have landed them the top seed.

Garfield Heights is showing a little fight the last week or so as well.

This still appears to be a two team district at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 02-03-19, 12:51 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I think the top four seeds will be (with projected records)

#1 Shaker Heights (proj. record 12-6) Will likely be the #1 seed, even though Twinsburg will have a better record at meeting time.

#2 Twinsburg (proj. record at meeting 14-4) If the seeding meeting took place at the end of the year, I would say they have a very outside chance of being the top seed, but they will more than likely fall at either #2 or #3.

#3 Euclid (if they are 13-5 and beat VASJ, they could be #2. If not, they will be #3. Either way, they're basically locked into a top 4 seed.

#4 Warren G. Harding (If they win both their conference games (will be 9-2 at time of seeding meeting), they'll be 12-7 overall and a basic lock for the #4 seed.

#5 Garfield Heights (Projected record 9-10). They have played a tough schedule, and they're down this year, but they are not to be counted out by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Maple Heights 9-8
7. Hudson 10-7
8. Kenston 9-8
9. University School 10-10
10. Bedford 6-11
Old 02-03-19, 01:49 PM
All World

Euclid and Shaker have almost identical records. The most recent memory for voters is Euclid beating Shaker. Euclid will get bonus points over Twinsburg because of the tough conference they play in. If Euclid has a big week and is somehow able to knock off Joe's - Euclid would have as good of a arguement of anybody for the 1 seed.

Old 02-03-19, 02:12 PM
All District

Twinsburg/Euclid by the numbers:

Twinsburg: 12-4

Wins: Orange, Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga Falls, North Royalton, Brecksville, Bowsher, Perkins, Wadsworth, Hudson, Nordonia, Cuyahoga Falls, Aurora

Losses: Solon, Stow, North Royalton, Brecksville

Euclid: 10-5

Wins: Solon (2), Shaw, Beachwood, Strongsville, Elyria, Brunswick, Willoughby South, Medina, Shaker Heights

Losses: Lorain, Medina, Garfield Heights, Shaker Heights, Mentor
Old 02-03-19, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
From a housekeeping note, I think that the coaches comment period ends at mid-week with voting due before the week is done. As a result, a weekend game (FRI/SAT) may/will not get captured for voting purposes.

Remember we are not in the previous days of the seed meeting on Sunday with everything through Saturday in play. Now it's an online vote with seed/bracket release on Sunday.
Old 02-08-19, 08:09 AM
All District

My update:

1. Shaker
2. Euclid
3. Harding
4. Garfield
5. Twinsburg
6. Maple
Old 02-08-19, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
I agree with those that say Euclid/Shaker (in one order or the other) should be the top two seeds. This district is down, but those two teams are starting to pick it up. We may be headed for a rubber match to decide the district between these two GCC teams.

Garfield has had an incredibly disappointing season, but they still would be the most likely team in my eyes to rock the boat. They might be a freshman and sophomore, but talent is talent. Guard play is huge come tournament time.
Old 02-09-19, 03:57 PM
All World

warren west
Garfield Heights seems to be getting it together starting to get some better play from there Bigs.
Old 02-10-19, 04:46 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Wow this district has been bad this year. Shaker should roll through this division. Harding is a wild card. They’re always a tough out. Garfield has been overrated all year, but somehow got the 3 seed and an easy draw until the final.
Old 02-10-19, 05:04 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Solon Seeding

#1 Shaker Heights
#2 Euclid
#3 Garfield Heights
#4 Twinsburg
#5 Warren Harding
#6 Hudson
#7 Maple Heights
#8 Bedford
#9 University School
#10 Kenston
#11 Nordonia
Old 02-11-19, 06:26 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Wow this district has been bad this year. Shaker should roll through this division. Harding is a wild card. They’re always a tough out. Garfield has been overrated all year, but somehow got the 3 seed and an easy draw until the final.
Harding beat Garfield by 20 earlier this year. I guess that got swept under the rug
Old 02-12-19, 07:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Harding beat Garfield by 20 earlier this year. I guess that got swept under the rug
Schools must think that this is the Garfield of 2016 when they went back to back final 4s. Their team this year would get run out of the gym by those teams. Unfortunately, Harding is on the other side of the bracket and will have to get past Shaker. Garfield beat Euclid earlier in the year, but the panthers have been playing tough lately. Garfield is still the most overrated team in the state.
Old 02-12-19, 07:58 AM
All World

How weak is the Solon District in comparison to the Euclid District when Euclid is the 2 seed. There is like 5 teams in Euclid that would have a legit shot at winning Solon.

Old 02-12-19, 08:21 AM
All District

A very down year for a Solon District that has many times been stacked, while Euclid was Mentor and everyone else.

This was thought to be a rebuilding year for Shaker, and they end up as the favorites. They should be even better next year with most the of rotation underclassman. Euclid is mostly seniors, so this will be their best chance to get a district championship.
Old 02-13-19, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

Well the "favorites" in this district got exposed yesterday. Shaker loses by 10 to Solon and Garfield gets absolutely destroyed by D3 Beachwood of all teams by 17. Shaker is probably still the favorite to get out of this terrible region, but I could see maybe Euclid making a run.
Old 02-13-19, 08:12 AM
All World

Euclid lost at home to Mentor as well. District looks horribly weak. The Beachwood over Garfield score was a head shaker.

Old 02-13-19, 08:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Euclid lost at home to Mentor as well. District looks horribly weak. The Beachwood over Garfield score was a head shaker.

Just saw that. Maybe Harding makes a run? Unfortunately I don't see much coverage on them. I know they beat Garfield earlier in the year.
Old 02-13-19, 09:45 AM
All District

This is a reason the Columbus format should be used in Cleveland. Winner of this district will be in the final 16 of D1. Not sure any of these teams are in the top 16 of the local area.
Old 02-13-19, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Euclid was far to casual yesterday night against Mentor.They might have had the wind knocked out of them by VASJ last Sat. They have lost any momentum they have right now.Foul shooting is horrid as is shot selection.A district title looks less likely.These are kids though so you never know
Old 02-13-19, 10:20 AM
All American

clevfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
This is a reason the Columbus format should be used in Cleveland. Winner of this district will be in the final 16 of D1. Not sure any of these teams are in the top 16 of the local area.
There's almost no downside to the super-district seeding in terms of competition and fairness. I'm all for going back to it. That said, if the teams at Euclid and Solon were seeded 1-24, I'd have to believe Shaker still gets a 3 and Euclid a 4 (after Mentor and Brush, obviously), so it's not like there's THAT big a difference.

Heights is a 3 seed at Euclid and they're 9-9, so let's not go overboard praising the strength of that district while writing off everyone in the Solon district. Especially when it might be an overreaction to one night's results.
Old 02-13-19, 11:33 AM
All District

good points
Old 02-13-19, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevfan View Post
Heights is a 3 seed at Euclid and they're 9-9, so let's not go overboard praising the strength of that district while writing off everyone in the Solon district. Especially when it might be an overreaction to one night's results.
Fair point about Heights, but I could argue that Solon, Will South and East Tech are better than all but maybe Shaker and Euclid in the Solon district (and I think any of those teams could beat anyone in the Solon district on any given night). Tech just proved they could beat Hts last night, showing they could hang around with almost anyone. I think Hts is overrated as the 3 seed tbh.

Let's say this, if you are Brush or Mentor or anyone else in the Euclid district, is there anyone coming from the Solon district that you would be "scared" to play come regionals? If this were Vegas, I think the top 6 seeds would all be favored against anyone coming out of the Solon district if they were to meet in regionals. Shaker is probably the weakest 1 seed in Division 1 tbh couldn't hang with Brush already this year. Garfield has been so up and down this year, I honestly have no idea what to expect from them come tourney time. Euclid is a bit of a wild card, but they got shut down last night too by Mentor.
Old 02-13-19, 12:55 PM
All American

clevfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Fair point about Heights, but I could argue that Solon, Will South and East Tech are better than all but maybe Shaker and Euclid in the Solon district (and I think any of those teams could beat anyone in the Solon district on any given night). Tech just proved they could beat Hts last night, showing they could hang around with almost anyone. I think Hts is overrated as the 3 seed tbh.

Let's say this, if you are Brush or Mentor or anyone else in the Euclid district, is there anyone coming from the Solon district that you would be "scared" to play come regionals? If this were Vegas, I think the top 6 seeds would all be favored against anyone coming out of the Solon district if they were to meet in regionals. Shaker is probably the weakest 1 seed in Division 1 tbh couldn't hang with Brush already this year. Garfield has been so up and down this year, I honestly have no idea what to expect from them come tourney time. Euclid is a bit of a wild card, but they got shut down last night too by Mentor.
All fair points. Tech has made it to Columbus in the recent past too. Euclid is a stacked district, and you're right that the Solon district doesn't appear to have a dominant team this year. Usually Warren is dangerous at tournament time, but their results this season just aren't very impressive. Watch them win the district after I say that, though...