Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-19, 01:20 AM
Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Coach Cupps on earning Victory #300!
Old 02-09-19, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont93 View Post
Are you kidding...Fairmonts sophomore and freshman class are loaded...
Elks are REALLY loaded in the freshman and 8th grade classes. Cupps should win the Elks first state title in basketball with these kids in the next 2-3 years. The Elks play 6-7 frosh on JV/V.
Old 02-09-19, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Elks are REALLY loaded in the freshman and 8th grade classes. Cupps should win the Elks first state title in basketball with these kids in the next 2-3 years. The Elks play 6-7 frosh on JV/V.
Wayne also has a strong freshman and 8th grade class. Throw in great sophomore class and Wayne should be back in 2 years. The GWOC will be strong over the next 4 years.
Old 02-09-19, 11:05 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Wayne also has a strong freshman and 8th grade class. Throw in great sophomore class and Wayne should be back in 2 years. The GWOC will be strong over the next 4 years.
I have heard that. We should have some great rivalry battles in the coming years
Old 02-09-19, 12:48 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seriously.
Old 02-09-19, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
Seriously.
Seriously!
Old 02-09-19, 07:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Seriously!
I hope that, some day, they are very good. SW Ohio needs a lot more than Moeller. Good luck.
Old 02-09-19, 11:26 PM
Freshman

fairmont93 is on a distinguished road
https://mobile.twitter.com/servesays...786569218?s=21
Old 02-09-19, 11:27 PM
Freshman

Where is the illegal screen? If anything cvilles player ran through it
Old 02-10-19, 12:48 PM
Freshman

maravich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's a moving screen. Actually a moving block. Easy call for ref. Zero objection from Fairmont staff too.
Old 02-10-19, 01:12 PM
Freshman

You are clueless Maravich....Albright was warned earlier in the game...obviously you were not there
Old 02-10-19, 01:34 PM
Freshman

maravich is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are clueless Maravich....Albright was warned earlier in the game...obviously you were not there
I was there....saw the whole thing...Ref standing at top of key clearly agrees with call. Zero objection from Fairmont staff...Cville players immediately know its a illegal screen. Home game for Fairmont too. So can't argue "homered"....and I'm clueless ???
Old 02-10-19, 02:02 PM
All Ohio

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
It was a moving screen clearly. You know how I know? The player screening moves from the mid lower block almost to the top block.
Old 02-10-19, 03:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
It was a moving screen clearly. You know how I know? The player screening moves from the mid lower block almost to the top block.
It was a moving screen but I am surprised the refs made that call at that point in the game. It cost Fairmont a win.
Old 02-10-19, 03:53 PM
All Ohio

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was a moving screen but I am surprised the refs made that call at that point in the game. It cost Fairmont a win.
I don't disagree with you at all. Late calls like that are always tough but it was the right call. Whether or not it should've been called is definitely up for debate
Old 02-12-19, 10:22 PM
All Ohio

11 in a row

Elks are rolling. I can't wait for the Wayne game this Friday. It should be a fun one.
Old 02-16-19, 01:06 AM
All Ohio

12 in a row

Tonight was fun as the Elks put a butt whoopin’ on Wayne in the Frosh, JV , and Varsity games. It has been very long time since I remember the Elks dominating Wayne in that fashion. Go ELKS!
Old 02-18-19, 04:04 PM
Varsity

Hindsight

Quote:
I haven't heard much noise about Centerville this year. Sitting at 6-5, they seem to be under-achieving based on what I heard about them. No quality wins unless you count Lasalle or St. X, but maybe a good loss to Springfield by 4. Any feedback?
Shout out to Coach Cupps, his staff & team. Along with Cincinnati Moeller, you are regarded as the two top Division 1 teams in Southwest Ohio. Winners of 13 in a row, while playing an outstanding schedule. Wishing you continued success in the tournament.
Old 02-18-19, 04:14 PM
Varsity

Saw the Centerville 8th grade gold team in GWOC TOURNEY beat a 10-3 Xenia squad. Now 16-1 the team is well coached ( Holweger ) and led by a guard named Gabe Cupps who scored 29 points. Future of Elks Hoops is very bright!
Old 02-18-19, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Saw the Centerville 8th grade gold team in GWOC TOURNEY beat a 10-3 Xenia squad. Now 16-1 the team is well coached ( Holweger ) and led by a guard named Gabe Cupps who scored 29 points. Future of Elks Hoops is very bright!
Thanks for this info about Centerville basketball. The future does look very bright! The ELKS are on a great roll now, I'm excited about the tourney. Centerville basketball is in great hands with coach Cupps. It's great to see he has a young son in the program who is playing awesome!
Old 02-18-19, 10:28 PM
Freshman

grahamfalconbb is on a distinguished road
You mention Gabe Cupps. He has played on one of the best AAU teams in the country playing along side Lebron James son for the past 3 years. With that being said Gabe has won MVP honors in tournaments so Centerville fans are in for a real treat beginning next year.
Old 02-19-19, 01:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfalconbb View Post
You mention Gabe Cupps. He has played on one of the best AAU teams in the country playing along side Lebron James son for the past 3 years. With that being said Gabe has won MVP honors in tournaments so Centerville fans are in for a real treat beginning next year.
Thanks for information.I agree with you that Gabe is talented with a bright future.Two or three more in this group with huge upside. Elks BB will be exciting that's a fact!
Old 02-19-19, 02:28 AM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfalconbb View Post
I looked up Gabe Cupps and found this highlight video. It says 2017-2018, so I assume he's in the 7th grade in this video.

It's astonishing his high degree of all around skill level at that age. It's well beyond his years. Add in great basketball instinct and he plays tough.

Wow, I was just thinking how good he's going to be in high school. You're right, Centerville fans are going to be in for a real treat. I just couldn't take my eyes of that video!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9156723...8c160dc8b75573
Old 02-19-19, 08:20 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E_Woyote View Post
I looked up Gabe Cupps and found this highlight video. It says 2017-2018, so I assume he's in the 7th grade in this video.

It's astonishing his high degree of all around skill level at that age. It's well beyond his years. Add in great basketball instinct and he plays tough.

Wow, I was just thinking how good he's going to be in high school. You're right, Centerville fans are going to be in for a real treat. I just couldn't take my eyes of that video!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9156723...8c160dc8b75573
Cupps and the 8th grade class added to the Freshman class will give Coach Cupps plenty of talent in the next several years to make deep runs.
Old 02-19-19, 09:17 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not a Centerville fan by any means, but I'm close to Dayton area and pay attention to basketball in SW Ohio.

Earlier in the season, I thought Mo Njie of Centerville, was overrated. I still think he is for being 6'10 and only scoring 8ppg. He has zero basketball skills. However, with his presence inside the paint, he takes away teams' driving games, slip actions, etc because he will block shots and get rebounds only because of his length and height. All these D1 offers he has are based off of potential.

Against well disciplined teams, ( 4 catholic schools, Trinity (6pts), Moeller (0 pts) LaSalle (0 pts), and Purcell Marian (2pts), Mo has total of 8 points against physical and competitive teams.

I think his role makes it difficult for some teams to play. I think Centerville has a lot of balanced scoring and always have different guy or two who has a 15+ night. Their defense and patience on offense is really good.

Also, Centerville's last loss was 6 weeks ago to Moeller. Their 13 game winning streak has included blowouts of Springfield, Northland, and Wayne. And, good wins over Toledo St. Johns, Fairmont, and Purcell Marian.
Old 02-19-19, 10:06 AM
All Region

Quote:
Cupps and the 8th grade class added to the Freshman class will give Coach Cupps plenty of talent in the next several years to make deep runs.
How smart are they? Compare them to the team Grote was on, if that is fair.
Old 02-19-19, 12:05 PM
All Region

roadkill
Centerville

sounds like the Elks future is bright. the best team that they ever has was the 2001-2002 squad with all time leading scorer and first all state player, Ben Rhoda, and best 3 point shooter ever, Chris Spears, and a cast of other good players. that unit performed to their most wins and school history at 23-3 (one of Cupps teams had 23 wins, but they played after the rule change allowing 22 regular season games per year). they averaged over 75 points a game and eventually lost in the regional finals to a loaded Brookhaven squad with 6 D-1 recruits in the regional finals who went on to win the state championship, considered one of ohio's best teams of all time.
Old 02-19-19, 12:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
sounds like the Elks future is bright. the best team that they ever has was the 2001-2002 squad with all time leading scorer and first all state player, Ben Rhoda, and best 3 point shooter ever, Chris Spears, and a cast of other good players. that unit performed to their most wins and school history at 23-3 (one of Cupps teams had 23 wins, but they played after the rule change allowing 22 regular season games per year). they averaged over 75 points a game and eventually lost in the regional finals to a loaded Brookhaven squad with 6 D-1 recruits in the regional finals who went on to win the state championship, considered one of ohio's best teams of all time.
I would put my money on Grote’s team, which was defeated by St X, the eventual state champion, under Staley who had over 500 wins. Was cups’ 23 wins st graham?
Old 02-19-19, 12:27 PM
All Region

roadkill
Elks

that 2002 Centerville team was also a Staley team. they were ranked 6th in the state's final AP poll. Staley was known to slow the ball down and the Grote squad was a perfect example. they typically held their opponents to around 40 ppg. the Rhoda/Spears team was the only basketball team coached by Staley who were given free reign to run the court and it was very exciting. that Cupps 23 win team was at Centerville, not Graham.
Old 02-19-19, 01:11 PM
Freshman

grahamfalconbb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
I would put my money on Grote’s team, which was defeated by St X, the eventual state champion, under Staley who had over 500 wins. Was cups’ 23 wins st graham?
Cupps had 26 wins when Graham went to state and lost in the state semi's. Finished 26-1 Had 24 wins the following year and lost in regionals finishing 24-1