Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 10:36 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see how the seeding goes in one week.
Haven't there been some oddities with the voting in the Euclid District in years past?

If Brush wins at Shaker and Mayfield this week, they should probably be the #1 seed.
Looks like Brush, Mentor 1 and 2 in some order regardless. Mentor should handle a struggling Brunswick at home this week prior to voting.

Seeds 3-6

East Tech 16-2 (2 recent losses to non ranked teams) only 1 quality win (warrensville) Very light schedule

Willoughy South 13-4 Light schedule Best win Lake Catholic

Cleveland Heights 9-6 (@ Lorain this week) Tough schedule

Solon 9-8 2 losses this week (Mentor, Euclid )Best win Ignatius Tough Schedule

All 4 are very close. I'd probably pick Solon or Heights (healthy Withers) to advance over Tech or South

East Tech and Heights play 2 days after the draw.

Should be a good district overall
Old 02-03-19, 01:50 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
East Tech's early record is not looking as good after a few losses in the last week. Maybe this squad is not as tough as once thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 02-03-19, 02:57 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Remind people that unless something has changed from the last couple of years, there is still the online voting, so basically if it hasn't happened by Wednesday it doesn't count. Comment period ends Wednesday, voting deadline is like Friday or early Saturday, so a weekend game probably won't get looked at before coaches vote.
Old 02-04-19, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Brush (14-2) has the edge for the top overall seed. They have the talent. They have the best win (St Eds). Their losses are easily the most quality (national powers Spire and Kennedy Catholic). They even have the advantage of being in the WRC...a league that has seven teams out of the 12 at Euclid. Winning the WRC should earn them extra brownie points. Player for player, every team at Euclid is going to have a very difficult time matching up with DJ Dial, Andre Harris, and John Hugley.

Mentor (14-1) might have split the vote if they were undefeated. Hard to keep an undefeated Mentor team out of the top seed. The WRC teams respect Mentor and some (South and North) even played the Cardinals this year. Mentor doesn't have the top heavy schedule that Brush has. But there is no question that Mentor should get voted at least No. 2 by every coach. The backcourt (Luke Floriea and Luke Chicone) is getting better every month.

East Tech (16-2) has a shiny record, but their schedule leaves a lot to be desired. The Senate is pretty down in basketball lately. Sometimes a team will rise to the top and stand out. But most of the league is not very competitive. Only one other Senate team is at the Euclid district, so fellow league solidarity is not in East Tech's favor. I think they will get the 5 seed unless a lot of coaches vote on record alone.

South (13-4) has had a nice season. They are in second place in the WRC, which will matter come voting time by the other six league coaches. The Rebels have a quality win over Lake Catholic and they gave Brush their closest victory of the season. If they get a little league favor, I think South could finish as high as the 3 seed depending on how they value familiarity compared to the record of East Tech and the talent of Cleveland Heights.

Cleveland Heights (9-6) probably has the toughest schedule of anyone at Euclid - maybe second to Solon. An up and down kind of year though. No other LEL team is at Euclid, so that is not an advantage for the Tigers. So far, they haven't played any other team that is at Euclid - another disadvantage. Of the top 5 teams, they have the most losses - another disadvantage. Heights does have possibly the best individual player (Jae'lyn Withers) at Euclid. They are probably the 3rd best team at Euclid, but I'm not sure the vote will reflect that.

Solon (9-9) has the most losses of these top six teams, although their schedule has been very tough and the injuries are piling up. Most of the team (Williams, Bekelja, Marbury, Close) are returning starters from last year's state final run. Of course, no more Sincere Carry. Sophomore guard Marcus Steele has a lot of potential though. If healthy (Trent Williams is currently out), they are easily the 3rd or 4th most dangerous team at Euclid.

My prediction for seeds:

1. Brush
2. Mentor
3. South
4. Cleveland Heights
5. East Tech
6. Solon
7. Chardon
8. Riverside
9. Madison
10. Mayfield
11. John Adams
12. North
Old 02-05-19, 02:45 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
HUGE loss for Heights if Withers is out for any extended amount of time or for the season. They need him come playoff time. Heights was the one team in the Euclid District nobody wanted to see if they started meshing - and it looks like they have. I'm sure people are holding their breath waiting for the X-rays.
Jae,lyn Withers has been cleared,the finger dislocation was not serious he is cleared to play,he will sit out the game tonight against Bedford but will play at Lorain friday night.
Old 02-05-19, 10:24 PM
All District

Bertha is on a distinguished road
I love how the dramatics come into play with the Heights team ... what a joke ... a bruised finger... hilariously sad posts
Old 02-06-19, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
I love how the dramatics come into play with the Heights team ... what a joke ... a bruised finger... hilariously sad posts
Heights, minus Withers, lost to Bedford yesterday.
Old 02-06-19, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Heights, minus Withers, lost to Bedford yesterday.
Give Bedford credit they played I believe their best defensive game of the season,they felt only one Heights player was able to change the outcome of the game,Nigel Martin was denied the ball in the paint where he's most dangerous,and when he did touch the ball he was double teamed the whole game,Bedford scored off of missed shots most of the game pulled the game out in the 4th quarter 50-45.
Old 02-06-19, 10:54 AM
All World

Still a shocking score as Bedford has been struggling for the last few years. That shows how valuable he is and also how Heughts (like other teams) has the ability to play down to their competition.

Old 02-07-19, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Tuesday games that will have the last word for most of the coaches' decisions:

- Brush defeats Shaker (I know...crazy game that ended at half, but still technically a "win")
- North, my prediction for the bottom seed, upset Chardon
- South loses to Kenston, losing a grip on their 2nd place in the WRC
- Riverside beats Mayfield
- East Tech beats MLK, secures a place in the Senate Tournament final
- Heights, minus their best player, loses to Bedford

I think Brush had the top seed locked down anyway, but a loss to Shaker (the only team that beat Mentor) might have split the vote some. As for the 3 seed, that is really hard to say at this point. South and Cleveland Heights both took losses on Tuesday. Solon has a lot of losses already. East Tech doesn't have a lot of advantages besides their record. This group of four (South, Heights, East Tech, and Solon) will likely all be matched up with one another in the sectional final round as they will be the 3-6 seeds in some order. The top 2 seeds will get a bye and they will get a much easier sectional final than the 3 seed. If the chalk holds up, those two sectional finals will be big games.

If South gets the 3 seed, they will be the first team to get to place themselves on the bracket. 1 and 2 (Brush/Mentor) will automatically placed on opposite sides. I will be very curious to see where South would put themselves. South gave Brush a much tougher game compared to getting routed by Mentor. But Brush is a matchup nightmare with three super talented players.

It is possible that we could see an unbalanced bracket if both the 5 and 6 seeds fear Brush much more than Mentor, putting four of the top six seeds on one side of the bracket. But I don't think that will be the case. I would be surprised if the four second tier teams are anything but equally split up on the bracket.
Old 02-07-19, 09:55 AM
All District

I believe they have eliminated the teams being able to place themselves in the bracket. Brackets set in advanced based on seeds like ncaa tourney. Started last year. (unless they changed back and I missed it.)
Old 02-07-19, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
I believe they have eliminated the teams being able to place themselves in the bracket. Brackets set in advanced based on seeds like ncaa tourney. Started last year. (unless they changed back and I missed it.)
I can't keep it all straight. I totally forgot about that. Takes away some of the fun and drama out of the coaches placing themselves on the bracket. Oh well.

Brush and Mentor should get every single 1st and 2nd place vote. I expect the second tier (Heights, South, East Tech, Solon) to get basically every 3rd-6th place vote...maybe all of them. As a Mentor fan, my ideal scenario would be to face the winner of South/East Tech. I am more concerned about Solon (if healthy) and Cleveland Heights. The Tigers are the team I am most concerned about. They have the highest ceiling of all the teams. I am counting on Mentor being the #2 and hoping the WRC teams propel South the 3 seed. Voting opened today.

The News-Herald basketball beat writer made his predictions for Euclid seeding:

1) Brush
2) Mentor
3) Solon
4) Cleveland Heights
5) South
6) East Tech
7) Riverside
8) Madison
9) Mayfield
10) North
11) Lakeside
12) John Hay

Edit: Just noticed that I wrongfully included Chardon (now DII) in my predictions above. Mistakenly left out Lakeside too.
Old 02-10-19, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

DI Euclid District 2019

http://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/B...urnamentId=630

Surprisingly, Mentor edges Brush for the top seed. But being 1 or 2 at Euclid doesnít really matter. Both get a firs round bye. Both get an easy sectional final. Both have to play a solid team in the semifinal. Personally, Iím glad Mentor is not in the same bracket as Cleveland Heights. Solon, if healthy, could present a very stiff challenge though. Iím not too concerned about seeing South a second time though.

Solon/South and Heights/Tech are two huge sectional finals. Some of the best in D1 I would imagine.
Old 02-10-19, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Not surprised with Mentor getting the 1 seed tbh. It coulda went either way. Playing South in the semi is comparable to hts IMO. South really got screwed, having to play Solon in the sectional. That game should be a dogfight. If Solon gets hot, they could give mentor all they can handle. Cleveland Hts is a mystery with the injury to their top dog and now he will play. Honestly I could see any of the top 5 teams getting hot and making a run
Old 02-10-19, 05:14 PM
All District

Top Seed voting:

For Brush: Brush, Heights, John Hay, Willoughby South
For Mentor: Eastlake North, Lakeside, Madison, Mayfield, Mentor, Riverside, Solon
For East Tech: East Tech
Old 02-10-19, 05:29 PM
All World

Mentor deserved the top seed and got it. I think Mentor will end up in the final against the winner of what should be a good game between Cleveland Heights and Brush.

Old 02-10-19, 07:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
Top Seed voting:

For Brush: Brush, Heights, John Hay, Willoughby South

For Mentor: Eastlake North, Lakeside, Madison, Mayfield, Mentor, Riverside, Solon

For East Tech: East Tech
Where did you get that info? Link?

I thought teams donít vote for themselves in the draw.
Old 02-10-19, 07:34 PM
Varsity

Chongo
you can see what teams voted for what seeds in this link.

https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Division1BoysBasketball.pdf
Old 02-10-19, 08:10 PM
All World

Very interesting to see how teams voted.

Old 02-10-19, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Very interesting to see how teams voted.

Yes it is. As a coach, I wouldnít like it one bit.
Old 02-10-19, 08:52 PM
All World

I'm sure it adds fuel to the fire if a team votes you lower than you deserve. I still like it better when it was done face to face.

Old 02-11-19, 07:13 AM
All Ohio

East tech voting themselves 1 might have actually cost Brush the top seed. East tech was the only school to vote Brush 3rd. Mentor didn't receive a vote lower than 2. No one else voted Tech above 3 seed (and I'm not sure what Mayfield is thinking).
Old 02-11-19, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
East tech voting themselves 1 might have actually cost Brush the top seed. East tech was the only school to vote Brush 3rd. Mentor didn't receive a vote lower than 2. No one else voted Tech above 3 seed (and I'm not sure what Mayfield is thinking).
FWIW, the process does drop the two extremes (highest/lowest), so that 3rd place vote was dropped in the rankings. Once those two extremes were dropped, it looked like this:

Brush got three first place votes and seven second place votes. Mentor got six first place votes and four second place votes. So even if East Tech voted Brush #1, that wouldn't have been good enough. Mentor still would have had two more first place votes than Brush.

The most surprising team I saw that voted Brush ahead of Mentor was South. Mentor handled the Rebels much better head-to-head this season. And on the flip side, I feel the opposite way about North. The Rangers got crushed (twice) by Brush this year. North actually kept it close with Mentor into the 4th quarter. North still voted Mentor ahead of the Arcs. That to me is a sign of respect by North's coach (Koelling), a former starting guard for Krizancic.
Old 02-12-19, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Tonight the Tigers host East Tech in a preview of a sectional final these two will almost certainly be playing in a couple weeks. If you are either coach, do you handle this game any differently? Hold something back? Try something new? I would just go for it and see where I stand. Then you have a couple weeks to get ready for the rematch, win or lose tonight.
Old 02-12-19, 10:53 PM
All World

How weak is the Solon District in comparison to the Euclid District - look at tonight's games. Mentor went into Euclid and won, Solon knocked off Shaker and Beachwood drilled Garfield Heights.
Old 02-12-19, 11:35 PM
All Yappi

Good wins for Mentor and Solon tonight.

East Tech beat Cleveland Heights, 63-62. These two will meet in a sectional final in a couple weeks. Should be an interesting rematch.
Old 02-13-19, 06:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Good wins for Mentor and Solon tonight.

East Tech beat Cleveland Heights, 63-62. These two will meet in a sectional final in a couple weeks. Should be an interesting rematch.
Maybe Cleveland Hts is a little more overrated than we initially thought. I guess 1 good player doesn't make an entire team.
Old 02-13-19, 07:07 AM
All World

They have surprised me - in a negative way. I was expecting much more from them. They have lost games to teams I felt they would have handled pretty easily. Maybe this is the year Brush gets past the semifinals. Most teams get better throughout the season but Heights seems to be regressing.

Old 02-13-19, 08:20 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
I don't think that Mentor can score enough to stay up with my Arcs. Yes they can shoot it and they have some parts but the Arcs have the full monty. You never know though, so if Mentor gets hot they will have a shot to upset the Arcs in the district final. I'm not too worried about Brush getting there.
Old 02-13-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Bball - Brush has made it past the semifinals many times. As a Mentor fan, I would know. I want to say the two have met in four district finals in the 2000's.

brusharc1986 - I have not seen Brush in person since last year's game against Mentor. I know that this current group is going to be the most talented Arcs team Mentor has seen - that includes some strong teams led by Nate Tait. I don't know that any one player is as much of a game changer as Tait was, but talent 1-7 is really strong. Can Mentor keep up scoring wise? Possibly. You are looking at some recent box scores of teams that tried to slow Mentor down, essentially keeping the score down. If Brush wants to speed up the game and make it a first one to 80 wins, I think Mentor can play that game well as they have done time and time again in the Krizancic era.

After Solon's big win over Shaker last night, I am even more aware of the challenge Mentor will have in a potential semifinal with the Comets just to get to the final. It isn't easy to beat a team like Solon three times in one season. Brush and Mentor are the two best teams at Euclid, but it isn't a guarantee that both will end up in the final. Solon, Cleveland Heights, and East Tech will have a lot to say about that.