Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-02-19, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
DI Euclid District 2019

With 2019 here, we have a decent sample size of where these teams are at. We are about halfway from the start of the season to the district vote. Brush is the mega talented team with all of the deservedly high expectations. There are some other talented teams at Euclid though. Here is how I see the "power rankings" shaping out as of today, January 2.

1. Brush (7-0)...the Arcs have three DI players at key positions: point guard DJ Dial, versatile wing Andre Harris, and big man John Hugley. This team is undefeated with their biggest win being over St Eds. Brush is heads and shoulders better than everyone in their league. Everyone in the district knows they have to get through the Arcs to win. This is their year.

2. Mentor (7-0)...Krizancic's Cardinals are off to a surprisingly strong start. A team that returned one starter along with just one other varsity regular. Rising sophomore Luke Chicone leads the team in scoring. Mentor's biggest wins were against Shaker, Solon, and Benedictine.

3. Cleveland Heights (5-3)...they possess the most talented player at the district in Louisville-commit Jae'lyn Withers. The Tigers lost narrowly in some early ones to VASJ and St Ignatius (Withers missed most of the VASJ game). Biggest wins of the year came against Shaker, Lutheran East, and WGH.

4. Solon (3-4)...a year after the superb Sincere Carry has graduated, the Comets return almost every other player in their rotation last year. The Comets do have a big win over St Ignatius, but they have suffered a lot of losses already compared to their 21-1 season a year ago. Come tournament time, this team will be tested.

5. East Tech (10-0)...the Scarabs are the best team in the Senate right now. They will pile up a lot of regular season wins, but I have no idea how they will stack up to the top teams in the district. Some of their non-league wins include Bedford and Warrensville. They will play Cleveland Heights next month.

6. South (6-2)...after losing their opener to Glenville, South has won six of seven. The biggest win was giving a talented Lake Catholic team their only loss of the season. The Rebels got beat pretty good by Mentor, but that was aided by a hotter than usual night by the Cardinals.

Others: John Hay, Lakeside, Madison, Mayfield, North, Riverside
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 05:53 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO it's Brush and Mentor and everybody else. Cleveland Heights could crash the party if on the Mentor side of the bracket. While there is no doubt Brush has the edge Mentor will force them to play every second of the game as hard as they can. They will test the Arcs depth as Coach K will be like 10 or 11 deep come tourney time. If Mentor is knocking downs 3s look out. If Brush is allowed to play their style I'm not sure Mentor has the size to match up in the paint. This will will be a solid tournament from the semis on.
Old 01-03-19, 01:17 PM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
IMO it's Brush and Mentor and everybody else. Cleveland Heights could crash the party if on the Mentor side of the bracket. While there is no doubt Brush has the edge Mentor will force them to play every second of the game as hard as they can. They will test the Arcs depth as Coach K will be like 10 or 11 deep come tourney time. If Mentor is knocking downs 3s look out. If Brush is allowed to play their style I'm not sure Mentor has the size to match up in the paint. This will will be a solid tournament from the semis on.
Finally, something we can both agree on. My Arcs going to get it done this year.
Old 01-05-19, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

GCP441 is on a distinguished road
Love the parity in games this season in Northeast Ohio this year,interesting games today at the Scholastic Play by Play this weekend,Cleveland Heights and Canton McKinley square off this afternoon,and Tomorrow Garfield and Brush do battle,Bulldogs suffered a heartbreaking last second lost against Massillon Jackson,last night,whether the Tigers can take advantage remains to be seen.

Brush looks very scary this year,saw them twice,against St Ed's and Warrensville Hts, extremely Athletic.But its too early to crown a district champion just yet,with all the parity happening this year anything can happen,we all witnessed that last year with Lorain upsetting St Ed's and Garfield Hts with all their hype last year losing to Shaker.I have learned that you can never judge a team's performance in the Post Season from the regular season. No guarantees in the Post-Season.
Old 01-05-19, 03:56 PM
All World

Mentor is going to be a tough out.
Old 01-06-19, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Mentor is going to be a tough out.
So will Cleveland Heights after that dismantlement of Canton Mckinley Last night,84-60 . Jae'lyn Withers scored 27 points and Nigel Martin scored 26 if these two players get it going like last night,defensively also You can forget about it.Not trying to be bias but seeing is believing.Heights had a 74-40 lead after the third quarter,then the reserves were put in,i expected some improvement toward the end of the season from this team,but what I saw last night,was a well oiled Machine. WOW
Old 01-06-19, 08:38 PM
All Yappi

A big weekend for the top three teams. Brush (over Garfield), Mentor (over Brunswick), and Cleveland Heights (over McKinley) laid beat downs. They strengthen their hold over the rest of the field.

Solon suffers another setback to a talented Lake Catholic team. East Tech is still undefeated. South beats Madison over the weekend to remain undefeated in the league.
Old 01-07-19, 12:29 PM
All District

summit county player is on a distinguished road
This is a great district! There are 3 or 4 teams that could get out!
Old 01-07-19, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
A big weekend for the top three teams. Brush (over Garfield), Mentor (over Brunswick), and Cleveland Heights (over McKinley) laid beat downs. They strengthen their hold over the rest of the field.

Solon suffers another setback to a talented Lake Catholic team. East Tech is still undefeated. South beats Madison over the weekend to remain undefeated in the league.
Brush shot the ball terribly and couldn't make a free throw, and still beat down Garfield Hts. When Brush is on, watch out.
Old 01-14-19, 01:56 PM
All World

Man has this district changed. This went from a district that consisted of Mentor and everybody else to one of the toughest in the state. I think it's pretty safe to say the Solon District is weaker than Euclid this year. You have 5 or 6 squads with a legit shot at advancing to regionals.

Brush - currently the highest ranked team. Basically the same squad as last year just a year better. Unproven in the postseason. Right now the slight favorite.

Mentor - maybe the hottest team in NE Ohio. A bit undersized compared to some but ridiculous guard play, unselfish and coached by one of the best in the nation IMO. If the 3 is falling they are my favorite.

Cleveland Heights - getting better every week. Only loses are to ranked squads in close games. Should be a tough cohesive unit come tournament time.

Solon - state qualifier last year. Has lost some games this year but it's been to very good squads. Another team that will be better come tournament time. Has the ability to beat anybody on any given night.

East Tech - I have not seen them this year but they always have athletes and play a very wide open fast paced game.

Willoughby South - they have played a tough schedule and are much better then last year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 01-15-19, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Cleveland.com rankings:

10-0 Brush (#3)
10-0 Mentor (#6)
11-0 East Tech (#8)
9-2 South (#11)
6-4 Cleveland Heights (#13)
5-6 Solon (#24)

Solon has played the most difficult schedule out of all of these teams, which attributes to their current losing record. At least 8 of their opponents so far are currently in the top 25. East Tech will have a strong record by the time seeding rolls around, but will the WRC teams and others in the league respect their Senate dominance? Is there anything Mentor could do to move past Brush for the top seed?
Old 01-15-19, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Current number of Cleveland.com top 25 teams per district:

Euclid: 6 (#3, 6, 8, 11, 13, 24)
Solon: 2 (#14, 19)
Barberton: 3 (#1, #7, #17)
Lakewood: 2 (#3, 20)
Elyria: 3 (#2, 10, 15)

The Canton district has mostly teams out of Cleveland.com's coverage area. Green (#25) is the only representative. The Fed is a solid league, but Jackson is probably the only other Fed team that would crack the Top 25 as of today. As things currently stand, Euclid is heads and shoulders the deepest DI district in NEO.
Old 01-15-19, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

Sucks that the top 5 in this district are way better than anyone in the solon district right now. Shaker will probably get out of Solon. This district will be a dogfight come tourney time.
Old 01-15-19, 08:28 AM
All World

I think most will agree that Heights is not the 5th best squad in the district. They will be that team nobody wants to see come semi finals time. Not sure people will respect South and East like they will the other squads.

Old 01-19-19, 09:44 AM
All District

Bertha is on a distinguished road
so if I see the scores from Friday Jan 18 correct. ..

Brush over South 62-55
Heights lost to Warrensville 72-62
Mentor over Elyria 88-75

hmm ... looks like squads still have much work to do ... thoughts ?
Old 01-19-19, 11:00 AM
All World

Mentor IMO is the team to beat in the Euclid District. Many feel Brush is but I now disagree. The way Mentor is playing on both sides of the ball is pretty amazing. Solid offense and defense with a minimal amount of turnovers makes them tough to beat. What has me siding with Mentor is the way the Cardinals destroyed South while Brush had a tight game with the Rebels.

Old 01-19-19, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Solon beat winless Strongsville and East Tech remains undefeated.

As a Mentor fan hoping they can snag the top seed, I was really hoping South could find a way to finish the upset against Brush. Sounds like South put up quite a fight though.

If South only loses to Brush in the league, the heavy WRC votes will likely favor them over Heights and Solon, two teams with worse records but much tougher schedules. It will be interesting to see how East Tech gets judged by the district too. They play Cleveland Heights on February 12, conveniently after the draw. The Scarabs have a great chance to be undefeated heading into the vote.

The top six are solid. Big difference between being the 4 and 5 seed this year.
Old 01-26-19, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

Brush (12-1)
Mentor (12-0)
East Tech (14-0)
Cleveland Heights (7-6)
Solon (9-6)
South (10-4)

Brush has some big games coming up. Letís see how things go. Brush and Mentor are the clear top two. After that, it will be interesting to see how the coaches vote. East Tech has the record, South has the league loyalty (Euclid is heavy WRC), Solon has the reputation (two district titles last three seasons), and Cleveland Heights has a combo of talent along with probably the toughest schedule.
Old 01-27-19, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

At the Chet Mason Invitational

Maple Heights 61
East Tech 58

The Scarabs suffer their first lost of the season.
Old 01-27-19, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCP441 View Post
At the Chet Mason Invitational

Maple Heights 61

East Tech 58

The Scarabs suffer their first lost of the season.

That final surprised me. Maple is coming off a loss this week to a Strongsville team that was winless. A couple other teams at the Euclid district will are also playing at todayís CMI.

South 72
Beachwood 68

The Rebels escape with a much needed win.

Brush is playing Kennedy Catholic, a PA powerhouse that recently beat St Eds.
Old 01-28-19, 07:10 AM
All Ohio

Not sure why Mentor isn't getting more love. I get that Brush has played better opponents, but Mentor has a few quality wins as well, including a beatdown of South (who brush squeaked by) and a nice win over Benny. Should be an excellent matchup assuming they meet in the final.
Old 01-28-19, 09:22 AM
All World

East Tech lost its first game of the season to Maple Heights who just days earlier lost to Strongsville giving them their first win.

Old 01-30-19, 01:57 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Whats the story on Cleveland Hts.? Injuries? Ineligible players? Or just a growth period.Thought they would get more love and be better than a slightly above 500 team.
Old 01-30-19, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Whats the story on Cleveland Hts.? Injuries? Ineligible players? Or just a growth period.Thought they would get more love and be better than a slightly above 500 team.

They have easily the toughest schedule of all the teams at Euclid. Their record isnít great, but the LEL is tough. The Tigers have a very tough non-conference schedule too. When it comes to tourney time, Heights will be a tough out.
Old 01-30-19, 05:32 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what transpired between Cleveland Hts and Lutheran East during their BB game. The Lutheran East coach went on twitter to apologize, but for what?
Old 01-30-19, 06:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
Does anyone know what transpired between Cleveland Hts and Lutheran East during their BB game. The Lutheran East coach went on twitter to apologize, but for what?
I
Both Coach Sam Liggins and the AD of Lutheran East both received double technicals after a chair was thrown out on the court from the Falcons bench.Their was a lot of tension through out the game and technicals were assessed to both teams it came to a head when a chair was tossed on the floor from the Lutheran East bench.A very heated and loud atmosphere.Nigel Martin had 31 pts and Jae'lyn Withers had 30 in the Tigers 86-74 win.E.j. Farmer sprained his ankle in the first quarter and never returned to the game
Old 02-01-19, 10:18 PM
All Ohio

Cleveland Heights defeated Maple Heights this evening 54-46 in a fast paced up and down game,I wondn't be surprised at all if the Mustangs make some serious noise at the Solon districts,but some bad news for Heights.

Jae'lyn Withers suffered a dislocated finger on his right hand ( ring finger) trainer was unable to pull it back in place,he will undergo x-rays to determine if that's all it is but a dislocation,he suffered the injury on a chase down block against the backboard,he'll be out at least two weeks that is if its only a dislocation. Hopefully it is.
Old 02-02-19, 07:23 AM
All World

HUGE loss for Heights if Withers is out for any extended amount of time or for the season. They need him come playoff time. Heights was the one team in the Euclid District nobody wanted to see if they started meshing - and it looks like they have. I'm sure people are holding their breath waiting for the X-rays.
Old 02-02-19, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCP441 View Post
Cleveland Heights defeated Maple Heights this evening 54-46 in a fast paced up and down game,I wondn't be surprised at all if the Mustangs make some serious noise at the Solon districts,but some bad news for Heights.

Jae'lyn Withers suffered a dislocated finger on his right hand ( ring finger) trainer was unable to pull it back in place,he will undergo x-rays to determine if that's all it is but a dislocation,he suffered the injury on a chase down block against the backboard,he'll be out at least two weeks that is if its only a dislocation. Hopefully it is.
Nobody can afford to lose a big dog in February. That would be a huge loss.

Must have missed a lot of shots on both ends if it was fast paced and scoring about 50 points a piece.
Old 02-02-19, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Nobody can afford to lose a big dog in February. That would be a huge loss.

Must have missed a lot of shots on both ends if it was fast paced and scoring about 50 points a piece.
There was a lot of shots missed,In the first half Heights looked like they were going to rout Maple Heights,scoring on transition baskets after missed shots Heights had a 22-11 lead after the first quarter,then Maple rallied to trail by only 1pt at the half 26-25.It was a turnover committed by Heights that led to a breakaway by Maple to the basket in which Jae'lyn block the shot from behind is when he injured his finger.I have not heard any official word on Jae'lyn's injury status. VERY UNFORTUNATE TO SAY THE LEAST.