Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-21-19, 08:41 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Matta was fired because he was not hired by Smith, as Matta had only one season where he did not win 20 games and that was his last season when he went 17 - 15.
If that's the case why did Smith keep Matta for 12 years?

Last edited by Taco MacArthur; 01-21-19 at 09:29 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-19, 11:01 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If that's the case why did Smith keep Matta for 12 years?
How could he not ? Matta won 20 games every year except for his last season of coaching.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 01-22-19 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-21-19, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Holtman not fired yet. Should be.
Old 01-22-19, 08:36 AM
All World

How did Holtmann let Dane Goodwin get away ? Turning into a good player for ND.
Old 01-22-19, 03:12 PM
All Yappi

Be cause holtman sucks.
Old 01-22-19, 04:21 PM
All World

Kyle Young will be out several weeks with a a stress fracture in his leg.. Rest of the season does not look good for the Buckeyes maybe 4 more wins.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 01-22-19 at 04:37 PM..
Old 01-22-19, 04:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
No, it's a terrible post and it definitely isn't true. You keep saying it won't make it any truer. Last year he got the team to overachieve and they lost most of their starters. This was expected but the hot start get people's (yours included, apparently) expectations entirely too high. He isn't going anywhere. Thank god Gene Smith is a smarter man than you and realizes there is very little talent for Holtmann to work with.

FWIW, he's getting paid to win basketball games, not to fill the Schott.
If Holtmann does not make the NCAA tourney next year he will be gone guaranteed and rightfully so. Duh if OSU wins the fans will fill the Schott.
Old 01-22-19, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Barring a catastrophic jumble of injuries there's zero chance that Ohio State doesn't make the NCAA tournament next year. 5 of their top-7 guys in minutes will be back, including their leading scorer/rebounder, and they're bringing in 3 top-50 recruits. Next year's Buckeyes will be much, much better than this year's team.

Hopefully they manage to get close to 20 wins this year. It is what it is. This is a stop gap year between the exit of the good that Thad had remaining (KBD) and Holtmann bringing in his own high-end guys. Outside of Kaleb Wesson they just aren't working with a whole lot right now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-19, 06:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Barring a catastrophic jumble of injuries there's zero chance that Ohio State doesn't make the NCAA tournament next year. 5 of their top-7 guys in minutes will be back, including their leading scorer/rebounder, and they're bringing in 3 top-50 recruits. Next year's Buckeyes will be much, much better than this year's team.

Hopefully they manage to get close to 20 wins this year. It is what it is. This is a stop gap year between the exit of the good that Thad had remaining (KBD) and Holtmann bringing in his own high-end guys. Outside of Kaleb Wesson they just aren't working with a whole lot right now.

I agree about next year. However Matta's worst year his last, OSU went 17 - 15 over all and 7 - 11 in BIG. OSU will have to win 5 more games to match that record this year, doable but not easy. I am tired of posters blaming Matta for OSU's current situation, when Matta came in people forget how bad the situation was ( probation ) and he went 26 - 6 in his 2nd year. Jallow and Young are both Holtmann recruits as is Ahrens, some how Goodwin got away that is on Holtmann. This is Holtmann's team not Matta's and this year's record belongs 100 % on Holtmann not Matta.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 01-22-19 at 06:42 PM..
Old 01-22-19, 06:41 PM
All Yappi

There was only a few weeks between Holtmann being hired and Goodwin committing to Notre Dame. It happens. He had been committed to OSU for a few years prior to Thad's exit. When he opened things up, IMO, he wasn't ever coming back. No different than Ohio State football losing a few highly rated guys in the transition from Urban to Day. Thad let plenty of highly rated in-state guys slide out the coop over his last four years. Kennard ring a bell?

The roster in Thad's second year was significantly better AND far more experienced than Ohio State's current roster. They were on probation, but they had a half dozen Juniors and Seniors that played extensively, with a sophomore PG (Jamar Butler) that I believe started as a freshman. That's a totally different situation than what they have right now. With the older Sullinger and Foster transferring in, they had a very veteran team the year before Oden and company went one and done.

Old 01-22-19, 07:57 PM
All World

Quote:
There was only a few weeks between Holtmann being hired and Goodwin committing to Notre Dame. It happens. He had been committed to OSU for a few years prior to Thad's exit. When he opened things up, IMO, he wasn't ever coming back. No different than Ohio State football losing a few highly rated guys in the transition from Urban to Day. Thad let plenty of highly rated in-state guys slide out the coop over his last four years. Kennard ring a bell?

The roster in Thad's second year was significantly better AND far more experienced than Ohio State's current roster. They were on probation, but they had a half dozen Juniors and Seniors that played extensively, with a sophomore PG (Jamar Butler) that I believe started as a freshman. That's a totally different situation than what they have right now. With the older Sullinger and Foster transferring in, they had a very veteran team the year before Oden and company went one and done.

Big difference between Goodwin and Kennard, one wanted to be a Buckeye the other not so much. Matta did not inherit a good team, Bucks had 13 BIG wins total the previous 2 years before he was hired. Matta went out recruited and brought some transfers in and turned the team around in short order. This is Holtmann's team period and he gets paid good money to win games regardless of what he inherited.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 01-22-19 at 08:34 PM..
Old 01-22-19, 10:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Big difference between Goodwin and Kennard, one wanted to be a Buckeye the other not so much. Matta did not inherit a good team, Bucks had 13 BIG wins total the previous 2 years before he was hired. Matta went out recruited and brought some transfers in and turned the team around in short order. This is Holtmann's team period and he gets paid good money to win games regardless of what he inherited.
To each their own. I'd argue Goodwin didn't really want to be at Ohio State all that badly considering he opened things up as soon as they made a coaching change. The last several years in-state recruiting has been poor at best in regards to 4-5 star talent, regardless of if guys amounted to much or not. Kennard, Cumberland, Ahmad, King, Spellman, Edwards, etc. Over the last five years it's an awfully long list, and a big part of why things started to gradually slip after the younger Sullinger group of Ohio guys cycled through.

Holtmann will win. IMO, he's as good as they could have gotten even if they'd pushed Matta out earlier in the coaching change cycle. I'd have him on par with Archie. Gardner-Webb was atrocious when he took that job, and they won 20+ games and contended for their league in year three. .700 winning percentage at Butler and three straight years of winning at least one tournament game. 25 wins last year in year one. There's a lot of spoiled fan overreaction IMO to a team that everyone thought would be bad hitting a bad spurt.

Old 01-23-19, 07:55 PM
All World

OSU currently losing big to Purdue, if the Bucks lose it will be their 5th consecutive loss , 1st time that has happened since the late 90's. The guard play on this team is horrific. Hopefully OSU can rally in 2nd half after a half court three by AW.
Old 01-23-19, 09:04 PM
All World

OSU falls 79 - 67. AW with a career night 22 pts. Officiating was not very good but way too many turnovers by the Buckeyes.
Old 01-23-19, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

44 FG attempts with 19 turnovers isn't going to get it done against just about everyone in league play.

Old 01-24-19, 04:55 AM
All Yappi

Fire Holtman today.
Old 01-24-19, 06:44 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
The Big guy has to learn to play smarter,no chance to win with him sitting on the bench.Potter would have had a ton of playing time but he chose another route,may not win half of the remaing games.
Old 01-24-19, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I was high on this team at the beginning of the year. Seeing them right now is a huge disappointment. Looking more and more like NIT.
Old 01-26-19, 12:58 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Michigan hasn't played that well as of recent (compared to how they started) but I expect them to beat OSU by ~20 points next week.
Old 01-26-19, 08:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Michigan hasn't played that well as of recent (compared to how they started) but I expect them to beat OSU by ~20 points next week.
Screw Xichigan.
Old 01-26-19, 02:07 PM
All World

OSU def. Brasky 70 - 59 for a much needed win. Copeland going down really hurt the Huskers as did OSU going to zone. Huskers no inside game at all.
Old 01-28-19, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

Can't see more than six more wins,hope they get that many.
Old 01-28-19, 04:24 PM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
My gosh, some of you guys need a reality check. Holtmann was Houdini getting this team off to a 12-1 start this year. Now, reality has set in. When you watch OSU ask yourself how many NBA guys are on their team v. the opponent. Then ask who are the 3 or 4 best players on the court. Most of the time the other team has far more talent than OSU right now. That will start to change next year hopefully. OSU seniors are playing badly right now (CJ and Woods) and Big Boy has been awful with fouls and poor play the past 3 weeks.
Old 01-30-19, 12:19 AM
All Yappi

Blown out my michigan embarrassing.
Old 01-30-19, 06:00 AM
All Yappi

Very sloppy basketball,a lot of turnovers and they are a way stronger ugly team.
Old 01-30-19, 08:34 AM
Freshman

Cedar_Point is on a distinguished road
Can you block people on this site?
Old 01-30-19, 08:48 AM
All Region

Blondie is on a distinguished road
yes you can
Old 01-30-19, 11:01 AM
Freshman

Cedar_Point is on a distinguished road
See ya Brian
Old 01-30-19, 12:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar_Point View Post
Can you block people on this site?
For once I agree with Brian, with the resources OSU has seasons like this should not happen. Sure teams are going to lose and lose big once in a while but this season is an embarrassment. Gene Smith other than hiring Meyer ( a lay up ) has done a lousy job as AD. Women's bball, men's bball, are middle of the road to bottom dweller teams in the BIG, that should rarely if ever happen. If Holtmann does not have the Bucks among the top 5 in the BIG next year( boy have expectations fallen ) he should be gone.
Old 01-30-19, 12:53 PM
All Region

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I've delayed commenting to see a few more games. Does anyone really see an on-court leader on this team? I don't mean a go-to guy, I mean a player who can rally the team. I just don't see one.