Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-19, 02:55 PM
Freshman

HS_Ball is on a distinguished road
Who has whom tonight? I do not want to scour the internet for schedules. The couple I know of are the Hawks have East Canton at home (cake walk) Strasburg travels to Newc but I hear their JV is playing Newcs varsity. Obviously Hawks by 30 but does Strasburg JV lose to Newc Varsity? Assuming I heard right.
Old 01-11-19, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Friday Jan. 11 Schedule:
Buckeye Trail vs. Barnesville
Claymont vs. Tusky CC
Garaway vs. Sandy Valley
Hiland vs. East Canton
Indian Valley vs. Malvern
Newcomerstown vs. Strasburg
Ridgewood vs. Tusky Valley

Conotton Valley is idle
Old 01-11-19, 03:58 PM
Freshman

[QUOTE=Mr. Slippery;7229734]Friday Jan. 11 Schedule:

Buckeye Trail vs. Barnesville - Trail

Claymont vs. Tusky CC - TCC

Garaway vs. Sandy Valley - Garaway

Hiland vs. East Canton - Hiland

Indian Valley vs. Malvern - IV

Newcomerstown vs. Strasburg - Not sure casue like I said I heard this is Tiger JV vs Newc Varsity

Ridgewood vs. Tusky Valley - Wood

Pick your winners.
Old 01-12-19, 08:16 AM
Varsity

Meatball is on a distinguished road
Does Newc not have a JV team? Why would Strasburg JV play vs Varsity? I know Newc hasn't won a game, but is there more to it than that?
Will that set a precedent for when schools play other schools that haven't won any games or maybe are 1-rest of season.
Old 01-12-19, 09:26 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
Does Newc not have a JV team? Why would Strasburg JV play vs Varsity? I know Newc hasn't won a game, but is there more to it than that?
Will that set a precedent for when schools play other schools that haven't won any games or maybe are 1-rest of season.
Bad look....for Strasburg. This sets an awful precedent and wreaks of many ulterior motives.
Old 01-12-19, 11:27 AM
Freshman

Not sure about the motives but Strasburg minus their 7 or 8 seniors beat Newc last night. Not sure of the score. From talking to an official that did the game. It was considered a JV game. He said 50 something to 30 something.
Old 01-12-19, 12:56 PM
Junior Varsity

ropeadope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
Bad look....for Strasburg. This sets an awful precedent and wreaks of many ulterior motives.

What motives would Strasburg have??
Old 01-12-19, 01:04 PM
Junior Varsity

RHobbs9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
Hiland girls have done it for years.

Last edited by RHobbs9; 01-12-19 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 03:45 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
Strasburg varsity is scheduled to play at Massillon on Thursday February 21,is what I seen on Strasburg ohsaa website
Old 01-13-19, 09:02 AM
Varsity

Meatball is on a distinguished road
I guess that makes sense that Strasburg's JV would play Newc varsity since Newc doesn't have a JV team (from what I hear) and the Varsity added the Massillon game.
Old 01-14-19, 10:30 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropeadope View Post
What motives would Strasburg have??
Knowing their guy, it's hard to say, but the possibilities arent endless. Bad look.
Old 01-14-19, 11:06 AM
Freshman

Like previous poster said they dropped Newc and added Massillon. Seems they still let JV play Newc as to honor that date. Guess I do not see an underhanded motive but maybe I am wrong or missing something. I feel for Newc. If they cant compete with a JV team its going to continue to be a long year. Hope they turn things around. I hate seeing any IVC team struggle like that. All that being said @Bo Kimble seems to be implying Hall may be up to something.
Old 01-14-19, 02:09 PM
Junior Varsity

Lightning2 is on a distinguished road
Has been murmurs that NCT wants to play a JV schedule next year anyway so not sure why they would have a problem with it and Strasburg picked up Massillon later in the year they so let their JV play against NCT since NCT doesn't have a JV. Don't see any issues here from the outside looking in. Its just bad for the NCT faithful and not sure how they are going to get out of this situation their sports are in
Old 01-14-19, 04:28 PM
All Region

It's really ashame that school this size Newcomerstown can't field a reserve team I look on the ohsaa website they have 126 boys , compared to TCC with only 43,there sports programs have been in a spiral downfall the last five or six years,is there no family support or community support no pride,I don't know if it ever get better
Old 01-15-19, 12:21 AM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
I believe they had a Coach named Danny Weekly ? , 5-6 years ago. Had a decent record for 4-5 years and they ran him out of town. Heard he worked grades 4-8 very hard. Was building a decent program and now they’ve had a dumpster fire for 4-5 years. Some of these schools don’t get it and it will continue at many, many schools. New era , much bad basketball at many places.
Old 01-15-19, 11:55 AM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
I got to take in Hiland-Garaway last week. It surprised me that Hiland pretty much controlled the game from beginning to end with their defense. I knew they were good on that end, but after watching that, they are elite. Not sure about their offense though. Hochstetler and Habeger are scorers, and I'd like to see Andy Miller try to score more - and they have some other kids with potential to score the ball well. Still, until someone can deal with that ball pressure and can run their offense against that half-court defense, it won't matter in terms of IVC play. It will matter when tourney time rolls around.
Old 01-15-19, 12:11 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
I believe they had a Coach named Danny Weekly ? , 5-6 years ago. Had a decent record for 4-5 years and they ran him out of town. Heard he worked grades 4-8 very hard. Was building a decent program and now they’ve had a dumpster fire for 4-5 years. Some of these schools don’t get it and it will continue at many, many schools. New era , much bad basketball at many places.
I have a buddy who lives down there. His daughter was a really good player for them 5-6 years back. Having heard his take on boys and girls over the years, there was just a general negativity about the AD, coaches, etc. A common theme of his ramblings were that fan-parents care about their kid more than the team and program. Since there is an assumption that the leadership is poor, and the team isn't going to accomplish anything, it devolves into a kinda thing where my kid needs to get theirs, the leadership is a bunch of idiots, and other stuff like that.

There seems to be a toxic culture of negativity in the community, school, or athletic department - or all three. If true, until that changes, they will struggle with numbers, morale, unity, in athletic contests - and in ways that have nothing to do with sports.
Old 01-15-19, 12:33 PM
All District

Bingo ! Said it many times, I blame the splineless - Administrations and school boards ! These parents who run out good coaches and people never come to games after Johnny or Janet graduate. And you are also correct, the schools and communities eventually suffer, directly or indirectly. Sad !
Old 01-15-19, 03:30 PM
Varsity

tigerfan53 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to say there isn't ANY underlying problem with our Strasburg JV team playing Newcomerstown varsity. With Strasburg having 7 seniors, this gives you a preview of what our 2019-2020 season will look like. At the present date (besides the 7 seniors), Strasburg has 2 juniors and 1 freshman and the rest sophomores. By our JV team playing Newcomerstown varsity, this gave next year's team a great opportunity to experience the feeling of starting and finishing a game. There were many Tiger fans present during the game at Newcomerstown which shows the community support of our team and coaching staff.
Old 01-15-19, 04:20 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan53 View Post
Sorry to say there isn't ANY underlying problem with our Strasburg JV team playing Newcomerstown varsity. With Strasburg having 7 seniors, this gives you a preview of what our 2019-2020 season will look like. At the present date (besides the 7 seniors), Strasburg has 2 juniors and 1 freshman and the rest sophomores. By our JV team playing Newcomerstown varsity, this gave next year's team a great opportunity to experience the feeling of starting and finishing a game. There were many Tiger fans present during the game at Newcomerstown which shows the community support of our team and coaching staff.
I may be wrong, but I believe Hiland is doing the same thing. Nothing wrong with it as far as I can see. If it's good for NCT and good for the JV teams they are playing, who cares?
Old 01-15-19, 04:47 PM
Varsity

fuss2 is on a distinguished road
I was told before the season started that Newcomerstown might not field a Varsity team, just a Freshman team. I'd consider it a win that they have even a team at this point.
Old 01-15-19, 06:45 PM
All District

Don’t know what the fuss is. A lot of teams have JV teams playing at the Varsity level. Lots of bad teams throughout the state.
Old 01-15-19, 09:28 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Dover 55 IV 36. I don’t know what they are doing but IV has some Big boys in the system not so much huge height just big kids
Old 01-15-19, 11:50 PM
All District

Dover just better. They don’t lose many and IV won’t be one of those anytime soon.
Old 01-18-19, 06:40 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan53 View Post

I have only caught One and a half Tiger games this year. They must have a lot of sophomores cause I do not hardly not see any Jr's on the floor. (JV a little but not Varsity) If not for the buying a program (which I do every where I go) I would not even have known they had any. Should we watch out for the Tigers in two years?
Old 01-22-19, 05:31 AM
Junior Varsity

RHobbs9 is on a distinguished road
Toronto defeats Malvern 74-62 in a rare Monday night game. Tournament seeding could be interesting in a few weeks with Toronto, Shenandoah, River and Rosecrans all posting strong records in the first half of the season. Hiland is obviously the frontrunner in the district at this point.
Old 01-22-19, 08:47 PM
Varsity

tigerfan53 is on a distinguished road
Final score strasburg 41 garaway 40
Old 01-23-19, 01:02 AM
All District

Garaway good but maybe a little overrated. We’ll see as the tournament nears
Old 01-23-19, 03:46 PM
All Region

My top four seeds as right now, Hiland 1, Toronto 2, Strasburg 3, Shenandoah 4, only putting Toronto no 2 because of there record, if them and Strasburg were to play each other right now have to go with Tigers
Old 01-23-19, 09:48 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawks View Post
My top four seeds as right now, Hiland 1, Toronto 2, Strasburg 3, Shenandoah 4, only putting Toronto no 2 because of there record, if them and Strasburg were to play each other right now have to go with Tigers
I think you would be remised to overlook Rosecrans this year... Should be the number 2 seed going into the tourney. They are going to be quite a matchup after a season of facing columbus schools. Hiland fans will be anxious by that point. No one smart wants to face Todd Rock if they don't have to.