Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-03-19, 11:10 AM
yj_runfan yj_runfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 1,734
yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagsIH View Post
Still state champs tho


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-03-19, 11:51 AM
Jerry Maguire Jerry Maguire is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Location: Texas Forever
Posts: 1,961
Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Wyoming's tournament losses:

2018: 1st round
2017: 4th round
2016: 1st round
2015: 2nd round
2014: 4th round
2013: 2nd round
2012: 1st round
2011: 1st round

They won the CHL outright ("dominate" wouldn't be my choice of word for tying for a league title) in 2015 and 2017. And also in 2007, when they got to the 3rd round of the tournament.

This thing they always do doesn't happen very often.
So maybe it was a bit of a generalization, but over the last 8 seasons (as you have pointed out) Wyoming averages a 2nd round exit......so I stand by my statement.

Wyoming is head and shoulders above anyone in the CHL this year besides DP. The league might not seem weak because a lot of the games not involving Wyoming have been competitive, but the CHL is indeed weak.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-03-19, 03:16 PM
yappimember67 yappimember67 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-24-07
Location: Cincy
Posts: 2,229
yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
So maybe it was a bit of a generalization, but over the last 8 seasons (as you have pointed out) Wyoming averages a 2nd round exit......so I stand by my statement.

Wyoming is head and shoulders above anyone in the CHL this year besides DP. The league might not seem weak because a lot of the games not involving Wyoming have been competitive, but the CHL is indeed weak.
I would agree. I'd say you have Wyoming, Deer Park, and then the rest of the CHL is going to beat up on each other. Reading might be in a good spot to finsih 3rd this year.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-03-19, 03:29 PM
MooseJaw MooseJaw is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 283
MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagsIH View Post
Still state champs tho


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrong sport - get with the program.

Speaking of that, how many state titles does the CHL have in basketball and who was the most recent? Not counting Deer Park - that was an AAU team. Was it Reading?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-03-19, 04:05 PM
Malibu Malibu is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: 513
Posts: 54
Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Wrong sport - get with the program.

Speaking of that, how many state titles does the CHL have in basketball and who was the most recent? Not counting Deer Park - that was an AAU team. Was it Reading?
CHL website goes back to 41-42, and it looks like only three have been state champions in boys basketball:

DP - 2017/2018
Reading - 2002/2003
Mariemont - 1952/1953

I know there have been a handful of final 4 teams (not quite as easy to search)..
Madeira in 1998/1999
Indian Hill in 1997/1998 (lost in finals)

I have a vague memory of an all CHL final 4 game at some point in time, but may be making that up...
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-03-19, 04:14 PM
coltfan76 coltfan76 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Posts: 628
coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Wrong sport - get with the program.

Speaking of that, how many state titles does the CHL have in basketball and who was the most recent? Not counting Deer Park - that was an AAU team. Was it Reading?
Man, Deer Park really got you in the feels, didn't they?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-03-19, 04:20 PM
MooseJaw MooseJaw is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 283
MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Man, Deer Park really got you in the feels, didn't they?
Just calling like I see it brother! That team will always have a big asterisk by that state title!

So basically since the CHL has been a league the only team to win it was Reading in 2002. I assume Mariemont in the 50's was the EHL?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-03-19, 04:47 PM
coltfan76 coltfan76 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Posts: 628
coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Just calling like I see it brother! That team will always have a big asterisk by that state title!

So basically since the CHL has been a league the only team to win it was Reading in 2002. I assume Mariemont in the 50's was the EHL?
Nope. Deer Park won it last year whether it makes you cry or not.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-03-19, 05:18 PM
MooseJaw MooseJaw is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 283
MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Nope. Deer Park won it last year whether it makes you cry or not.
I'm not crying, but when ten players move into a district (allegedly) with the sole purpose to play basketball for a certain coach, that's not a high school team - that's an AAU team. Not a single player on that team last year ever played for their jr high, freshman, or jv team at any point in their careers. You are correct, they did win it last year but they will forever have an asterisk by their name in most people's minds.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-03-19, 05:33 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Wrong sport - get with the program.

Speaking of that, how many state titles does the CHL have in basketball and who was the most recent? Not counting Deer Park - that was an AAU team. Was it Reading?
Deer Park boys 2018
Reading boys 2003
Wyoming girls 1996
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-03-19, 05:39 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
And of course Mariemont boys, 1953, if we're talking about the current collection of schools in the league and not the league itself.

This got me thinking about another question--what sport does the CHL have the most state titles in--again, thinking about the current collection of eight schools and including titles they won before the league was formed?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-03-19, 06:33 PM
coltfan76 coltfan76 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Posts: 628
coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
And of course Mariemont boys, 1953, if we're talking about the current collection of schools in the league and not the league itself.

This got me thinking about another question--what sport does the CHL have the most state titles in--again, thinking about the current collection of eight schools and including titles they won before the league was formed?
IH has won multiple in girls soccer lately.
Mariemont in Boys Lacrosse.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-03-19, 07:19 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
IH has won multiple in girls soccer lately.
Mariemont in Boys Lacrosse.
I can think of seven soccer titles, eight if you count Finneytown's win in the first statewide tournament, which OHSAA didn't sponsor. Finneytown has three and Madeira two on the boys' side, Madeira one and IH two on the girls'.

I figured that was the best sport but now that I think about it I should probably go through the baseball list--Reading and Deer Park were really good, back in the day...
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-03-19, 10:29 PM
yappimember67 yappimember67 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-24-07
Location: Cincy
Posts: 2,229
yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Off topic - but Isaiah Walker is looking like a really good player for Wyoming this year.

15.5 PPG
67% FG%
80% 3P% (12-15)
6.5 RPG

Obviously some of those shooting numbers won't hold up, but he's really improved as a sophomore and it looks like he could be one of the better players in the league for the next couple years.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-03-19, 11:12 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
I have a vague memory of an all CHL final 4 game at some point in time, but may be making that up...
There have never been two CHL teams at state, but there have been two all-CHL regional finals: Madeira over Finneytown in 1999 and Deer Park over Madeira last year.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-04-19, 09:27 AM
Malibu Malibu is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: 513
Posts: 54
Malibu
I was thinking of the '99 Madeira/Finneytown regional final. Not sure how last year's all CHL match up slipped my mind as well.

I knew I could be making things up...
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-04-19, 10:08 AM
Kurt Rambis Kurt Rambis is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-15-17
Posts: 80
Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
CHL website goes back to 41-42, and it looks like only three have been state champions in boys basketball:

DP - 2017/2018
Reading - 2002/2003
Mariemont - 1952/1953

I know there have been a handful of final 4 teams (not quite as easy to search)..
Madeira in 1998/1999
Indian Hill in 1997/1998 (lost in finals)

I have a vague memory of an all CHL final 4 game at some point in time, but may be making that up...
Now....Reading's success came with bensman and his recruits as well. They were NOT Reading kids.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-04-19, 11:19 AM
yj_runfan yj_runfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 1,734
yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
I can think of seven soccer titles, eight if you count Finneytown's win in the first statewide tournament, which OHSAA didn't sponsor. Finneytown has three and Madeira two on the boys' side, Madeira one and IH two on the girls'.

I figured that was the best sport but now that I think about it I should probably go through the baseball list--Reading and Deer Park were really good, back in the day...

1998-1999 Madeira Baseball
1979-1980 Reading Baseball
1976-1977 Deer Park Baseball
1973-1974 Reading Baseball
1961-1962 Taylor Baseball
1956-1957 Reading Baseball
1948-1949 Taylor Baseball
1945-1946 Reading Baseball
1944-1945 Mariemont Baseball
1943-1944 Reading Baseball
1941-1942 Reading Baseball
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-04-19, 11:21 AM
yj_runfan yj_runfan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-05-07
Posts: 1,734
yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Now....Reading's success came with bensman and his recruits as well. They were NOT Reading kids.
There were some heated discussions about that team back on the old huddle site.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-04-19, 11:32 AM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
If Mariemont had ringers in '53, I don't think I want to know about it.

(They didn't. But they did talk one of their local kids into transferring from Purcell.)
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-04-19, 02:15 PM
Malibu Malibu is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: 513
Posts: 54
Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Now....Reading's success came with bensman and his recruits as well. They were NOT Reading kids.
Reading was aided by transfers for sure. I can't remember the full extent of the transfers, but I don't think it was as drastic as DP last year. I remember there was Clemmons (who I believe ended up at OU) and another kid (name escapes me) who transferred in and had a major impact. Not sure of any impact transfers outside of that....
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-04-19, 10:41 PM
Youknow Youknow is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-06-15
Posts: 717
Youknow is on a distinguished road
Deer park over Madeira by 1? I see that right?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-05-19, 11:16 AM
Sports Jock and Chad Sports Jock and Chad is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-17
Posts: 98
Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Final was 60-57 at DP...Madeira was up 2 with under a minute...Wise hit a DEEP 3 to go up 1...This is not the DP from a year ago...they run no discernible offense and the press and defense are average. And, by the fourth they are gassed since they have no bench...I can see them losing 3 or 4 in the CHL...regardless of the hype they don't have legitimate college type talent...maybe borderline D2...It was a GREAT Friday night game! Gym was packed...fans were hollering...players making plays...take that over gcl (not MOE) stall ball anyday
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-05-19, 01:20 PM
MooseJaw MooseJaw is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 283
MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Final was 60-57 at DP...Madeira was up 2 with under a minute...Wise hit a DEEP 3 to go up 1...This is not the DP from a year ago...they run no discernible offense and the press and defense are average. And, by the fourth they are gassed since they have no bench...I can see them losing 3 or 4 in the CHL...regardless of the hype they don't have legitimate college type talent...maybe borderline D2...It was a GREAT Friday night game! Gym was packed...fans were hollering...players making plays...take that over gcl (not MOE) stall ball anyday
I heard they even have a couple deer park kids getting some playing time too (gasp). Mark Wise is legit D1 talent though. He has multiple offers.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-05-19, 02:23 PM
Sports Jock and Chad Sports Jock and Chad is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-17
Posts: 98
Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Wise D1? That's laughable...listed at 6'5 he is maybe 6'3 (reminds me of the movie Fletch..."He's 6'5...6'9 with the afro) so he is a tweener...not quick enough to be a PG...way too small to be a 2 in D1...he can launch deep 3's but Madeira was in a zone...Against Taft he was 3-19 with a hand in his face...remember all those D1 offers the DP guys had last year?..lol...McEntire ended up with 1 actual offer from NC A&T and turned it down and is in a prep school...D1 is really hard...look up a post from The Lima HS coach about the reality of that situation. It is spot on. CJ Fleming from Lasalle a few years back could play circles around Wise and he is at Bellermine...which is a top quality D2 school..the other thing a bunch of former players talk about is: in college you are not the GOAT like high school...everyone there was a stud somewhere...and college coaches unlike Gentry actually expect you to play hard defense of which Mr. Wise gives about 25% effort at best...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-05-19, 07:01 PM
chrisbagsIH chrisbagsIH is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-17-18
Posts: 12
chrisbagsIH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Wise D1? That's laughable...listed at 6'5 he is maybe 6'3 (reminds me of the movie Fletch..."He's 6'5...6'9 with the afro) so he is a tweener...not quick enough to be a PG...way too small to be a 2 in D1...he can launch deep 3's but Madeira was in a zone...Against Taft he was 3-19 with a hand in his face...remember all those D1 offers the DP guys had last year?..lol...McEntire ended up with 1 actual offer from NC A&T and turned it down and is in a prep school...D1 is really hard...look up a post from The Lima HS coach about the reality of that situation. It is spot on. CJ Fleming from Lasalle a few years back could play circles around Wise and he is at Bellermine...which is a top quality D2 school..the other thing a bunch of former players talk about is: in college you are not the GOAT like high school...everyone there was a stud somewhere...and college coaches unlike Gentry actually expect you to play hard defense of which Mr. Wise gives about 25% effort at best...


Regardless of how you feel he does hold multiple division 1 offers. He is a very good basketball player and will most likely end up at a division 1 basketball program.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-06-19, 09:21 AM
Youknow Youknow is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-06-15
Posts: 717
Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Final was 60-57 at DP...Madeira was up 2 with under a minute...Wise hit a DEEP 3 to go up 1...This is not the DP from a year ago...they run no discernible offense and the press and defense are average. And, by the fourth they are gassed since they have no bench...I can see them losing 3 or 4 in the CHL...regardless of the hype they don't have legitimate college type talent...maybe borderline D2...It was a GREAT Friday night game! Gym was packed...fans were hollering...players making plays...take that over gcl (not MOE) stall ball anyday
Your going to the wrong gcl games. Go watch Purcell play at mcnick. Or McNick play at Badin. Packed gyms and itís really good ball. The gcl coed central and north top to bottom may be the best league in the area this year
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-06-19, 10:50 AM
Sports Jock and Chad Sports Jock and Chad is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-17
Posts: 98
Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
I have seen Purcell and Fenwick...not McNick...Purcell is a great team...fun to watch...I may go to the Badin game on Saturday....Next big one in CHL is Tuesday...DP at IH...that should be a doozy! I hear IH's point guard is back...
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-07-19, 02:15 PM
Ilsco Ilsco is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-10
Posts: 120
Ilsco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
If Mariemont had ringers in '53, I don't think I want to know about it.

(They didn't. But they did talk one of their local kids into transferring from Purcell.)
Ha! The Purcell kid was the tallest kid on that team. (Of course, at that time Mariemont's biggest rival was Terrace Park
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-08-19, 12:02 PM
Yeoman Yeoman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 608
Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Wise D1? "He's 6'5...6'9 with the afro) so he is a tweener...not quick enough to be a PG...way too small to be a 2 in D1...
He's plenty big enough to be a 2 at the mid-major schools that are recruiting him. Florida Atlantic's starting guards currently are 6'1" 170 (Anthony Adger, their best player, who's a senior) and 6'0" 170. Kent State starts three guards, two are 6' and one is 6'5". Both of Detroit Mercy's starting guards are 6'1".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 - 2019 Canton McKinley Girls Basketball Schedule IUDOGS Girls Basketball 79 02-22-19 11:37 PM
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team Now Accepting Applications for 2019 & 2020 Teams Ohio TofC Wrestling 3 10-23-18 11:37 AM
Stark county terriers 15u, 16u & 17/18u tryouts for fall 2018 & summer 2019! StarkCountyTerriers Baseball 0 07-23-18 01:48 PM
Prep Hoops Ohio (Rankings) Krasula24 Boys Basketball 3 02-01-18 08:54 AM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz