Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-08-18, 07:08 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Finneytown over Mariemont! Who saw that coming?
Old 12-09-18, 11:07 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Finneytown over Mariemont! Who saw that coming?
It's been coming. Nice to have a full roster again...which is to say that it's nice to have a program kids want to be a part of. FT may not have won many games last year but the change wasn't hard to see.
Old 12-09-18, 09:06 PM
Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Finneytown lost most of their games last year by single digits...So to me that coach deserved the coach of the year...seriously! To keep kids engaged and competing every week? That is tough sledding folks...and Mariemont is down this year as well...
Old 12-12-18, 06:03 AM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
How in the hell did Deer Park Elite only beat Taylor by 7?? Anyone see that game? That makes no sense

Last edited by MooseJaw; 12-12-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 08:04 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
How in the hell did Deep Park Elite only beat Taylor by 7?? Anyone see that game? That makes no sense
in the 3rd qtr DP just help onto the ball. was kind of weird b/c it was exactly what teams were doing to them in them all last year.

with 1:28 left in the game it was 52-50

taylor also had the lead 1/2 way through the 2nd qtr.

if it weren't for a bad shooting 3rd (taylor only scored 4 pts I think but didn't posses the ball much as DP held onto it) This game would have had a different out come.

DP is still a great team but I think very beatable in the CHL this year , should be more interesting match up vs Wyoming
Old 12-12-18, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Another good one last night was Reading/IH .

that was readings first win vs IH since 15'
Old 12-12-18, 09:06 AM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Some interesting scores last night...

Mariemont over Madeira by 10.

DP over Taylor by only 3

Reading over Indian Hill

Wyoming destroying Finneytown

Wyoming and Deer Park playing this Friday. I think I'm taking Wyoming.
Old 12-12-18, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
...and Mariemont is down this year as well...
...and just beat Madeira.

I think the only thing we know for sure at this point is that Wyoming is very good. But we already knew that.

I guess we also know there's no equivalent this year to 2017 Finneytown or 2015 Deer Park. That's good news.
Old 12-12-18, 09:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Finneytown lost most of their games last year by single digits...So to me that coach deserved the coach of the year...seriously! To keep kids engaged and competing every week? That is tough sledding folks
My view on this is that kids naturally want to play and compete. What's out of the ordinary is what happened the years prior, creating an environment where so many of them decided they'd rather be doing something else.

I think the irony's been underappreciated around here. In the sixty years of the school Finneytown has had one solitary five-star recruit who's been talked about as an NBA prospect. There were some excellent D2 (Rollins) players along the way: Kyle Rich was D2 all-American, Bruce Howland played professionally in Europe for a while. But we'd never had a D1 scholarship player as far as I can remember (did Eric Roper get any offers?), let alone someone people were talking about as a potential lottery pick.

You might have expected his four years to be some of the best in program history. Instead they went 23-70, which I think is the worst four-year stretch ever.

Odd, isn't it? Has any other school ever had a once-in-a-lifetime prospect coincide with the collapse of its program? That's not how it's supposed to work.

I'm not suggesting Bazley's in any way at fault here; it's the aftermath of Griggs's sudden and early retirement from coaching that was the trigger.
Old 12-12-18, 10:24 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
My view on this is that kids naturally want to play and compete. What's out of the ordinary is what happened the years prior, creating an environment where so many of them decided they'd rather be doing something else.

I think the irony's been underappreciated around here. In the sixty years of the school Finneytown has had one solitary five-star recruit who's been talked about as an NBA prospect. There were some excellent D2 (Rollins) players along the way: Kyle Rich was D2 all-American, Bruce Howland played professionally in Europe for a while. But we'd never had a D1 scholarship player as far as I can remember (did Eric Roper get any offers?), let alone someone people were talking about as a potential lottery pick.

You might have expected his four years to be some of the best in program history. Instead they went 23-70, which I think is the worst four-year stretch ever.

Odd, isn't it? Has any other school ever had a once-in-a-lifetime prospect coincide with the collapse of its program? That's not how it's supposed to work.

I'm not suggesting Bazley's in any way at fault here; it's the aftermath of Griggs's sudden and early retirement from coaching that was the trigger.
BINGO!! This was a disaster in the Making and you could almost see it coming?

1. Griggs Retires to spend time with Family
2. Griggs Assistant Parker spurns Finneytown for Clark
3. Finneytown is hustled by that Con Man Morris. That man couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag!
4. Morris Alienates all of the requisite peices needed to surround Bazley, which in turn creates a disaster.

I feel for that community, because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and it was squandered!
Old 12-12-18, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How in the hell did Deer Park Elite only beat Taylor by 7?? Anyone see that game? That makes no sense
Mark Wise didnt play for either injury or something else but he was in street clothes
Old 12-12-18, 12:04 PM
All American

Quote:
DP won both games against Taylor last year by 50.

Have to give the Taylor coach some credit for getting his team prepared and believing they would be in this game.
Old 12-13-18, 08:55 AM
Varsity

I was at the Madeira-IH game last Friday...what a stinker...neither team had any offense what so ever...odd when you look at the players on the floor...both teams put very capable kids out there...was definitely 2 coaches not playing to win but rather playing not to lose...I change my thinking...Wyoming will win it...then DP....everything else is a crapshoot...Caldwell has Mariemont playing very good basketball...I think Mariemont, Reading and IH duke it out for third...for whatever reason a talented Madeira team might be 5 or 6 at best and Finneytown will definitely get it's share of wins...Taylor? Who knows
Old 12-13-18, 12:14 PM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
My guess is that Indian Hill and Madeira are both still trying to figure themselves out. Indian Hill lost their all-time leading scorer, Collins Shaw, and three of their top four scorers from last year. Madera also lost three of their top four leading scorers. Those are some big holes to fill and it will likely take some time for both teams to establish their identities. For Indian Hill everything ran through Shaw and for Madeira everything ran through Cravaack on the post.
I think Wyoming in Deer Park Elite split this year so the league championship will all come down if one of them stumbles and has a bad night somewhere else, otherwise they share the title
Old 12-14-18, 07:35 AM
Varsity

What I have seen over the last few years at IH and Madeira...the coaches are "system" guys and do well when the pieces fit what they want...you can do that more easily at a private or big school when you have more to choose from. The best coaches I have ever seen in any sport see what they have and build around it...
Old 12-14-18, 09:29 PM
All American

Some more interesting results tonight...

So Indian Hill beats Madeira by 3, Mariemont beats Madeira by 10, and Indian Hill beats Mariemont by 32? I wonder what happened in that game.

Wyoming over Deer Park in a close game, 61-60

Reading over Madeira, 65-63

Taylor over Finneytown, 45-42
Old 12-15-18, 08:18 AM
All American

The Taylor score was 47-44
Old 12-27-18, 06:16 PM
All American

Well, looks like Wyoming is the best team in the CHL again. Their combo of Edmonds/Prater/Walker is looking good.
Old 12-28-18, 10:08 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
Well, looks like Wyoming is the best team in the CHL again. Their combo of Edmonds/Prater/Walker is looking good.
A public school team.
Old 12-28-18, 12:58 PM
All American

Funny how quiet it is without all the Deer Park drama from last year.

Where is everyone?
Old 12-29-18, 11:42 AM
Varsity

Rumor out of the Park...Gentry is leaving next year and taking Jr. and Wise to some Prep school...they only have 5 players capable of giving good minutes this year...no new recruits...one kid from last year transferred to Batavia...they are still very good but any foul trouble and they are vulnerable...not going to be the magical ride from last year...Wyoming looks really good although they lack depth as usual...they struggle against a good zone...always wonder why more coaches do not play the defense that stymies the other team the most? My HS Coach always said a team needs 2 defenses and usually 3 that they can play well to keep an opponent off balance...it is easier to prepare for a team that only does 1 thing at both ends of the floor.
Old 12-30-18, 11:36 PM
All American

UnTouchableVoL33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UnTouchableVoL33
Quote:
Rumor out of the Park...Gentry is leaving next year and taking Jr. and Wise to some Prep school...they only have 5 players capable of giving good minutes this year...no new recruits...one kid from last year transferred to Batavia...they are still very good but any foul trouble and they are vulnerable...not going to be the magical ride from last year...Wyoming looks really good although they lack depth as usual...they struggle against a good zone...always wonder why more coaches do not play the defense that stymies the other team the most? My HS Coach always said a team needs 2 defenses and usually 3 that they can play well to keep an opponent off balance...it is easier to prepare for a team that only does 1 thing at both ends of the floor.
I agree with you about teams should have multiple defenses but disagree about zoning Wyoming- Edmonds is very deadly from 3 point land and a top notch shooter
Old 12-31-18, 10:35 AM
Varsity

Edmonds thrives on help side defense to get open looks (as did Charlie Tripp the last few years)....He can't get his own outside shot...Colin Shaw at IH could take you off the dribble and stroke a nice J...Teams that go box and 1 on Edmonds or a match up style zone give him fits..also any defender with length that contests his shot...I'm not hatin...the kid is an awesome player!... but those are his weaknesses....coaches get so stuck on man to man and help...Word out of Moeller (I haven't seen them play yet this year but will on MLK Day) is they have limited the help concepts on man..Coach Kremer said help and over help just lead to 5 on 4 situations with too many fouls and too many open 3's...going more old school with less in your face pressure (the new rules make that almost impossible without fouling) and more responsibility for your man...like my coach taught in the Dark Ages...arms distance...don't reach and keep your butt between your man and the tin.
Old 12-31-18, 03:45 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Wyoming is good but they will do what they always do. Dominate the weak CHL and then lose in the 2nd round of the tournament.
Old 12-31-18, 11:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Edmonds thrives on help side defense to get open looks (as did Charlie Tripp the last few years)....He can't get his own outside shot...Colin Shaw at IH could take you off the dribble and stroke a nice J...Teams that go box and 1 on Edmonds or a match up style zone give him fits..also any defender with length that contests his shot...I'm not hatin...the kid is an awesome player!... but those are his weaknesses....coaches get so stuck on man to man and help...Word out of Moeller (I haven't seen them play yet this year but will on MLK Day) is they have limited the help concepts on man..Coach Kremer said help and over help just lead to 5 on 4 situations with too many fouls and too many open 3's...going more old school with less in your face pressure (the new rules make that almost impossible without fouling) and more responsibility for your man...like my coach taught in the Dark Ages...arms distance...don't reach and keep your butt between your man and the tin.
Seen Moeller man handle Hughes this year look for them to have another fantastic season
Old 12-31-18, 11:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Wyoming is good but they will do what they always do. Dominate the weak CHL and then lose in the 2nd round of the tournament.
D2 is tough in Southwest District

Last 5 years Wyoming has had some good runs in D2 tournament...those cmac schools play well up in Mason(D2 Sectional)
Old 01-01-19, 01:13 AM
Varsity

The CHL isn't that weak...Madeira and DP played in the regional final last year! D2 is a different story although Wyoming has had some runs...Wyoming and IH SHOULD run the CHL since they are twice as big as the other schools...
Old 01-02-19, 08:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Wyoming's tournament losses:

2018: 1st round
2017: 4th round
2016: 1st round
2015: 2nd round
2014: 4th round
2013: 2nd round
2012: 1st round
2011: 1st round

They won the CHL outright ("dominate" wouldn't be my choice of word for tying for a league title) in 2015 and 2017. And also in 2007, when they got to the 3rd round of the tournament.

This thing they always do doesn't happen very often.
Old 01-02-19, 11:02 PM
Freshman

chrisbagsIH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Wyoming's tournament losses:

2018: 1st round

2017: 4th round

2016: 1st round

2015: 2nd round

2014: 4th round

2013: 2nd round

2012: 1st round

2011: 1st round

They won the CHL outright ("dominate" wouldn't be my choice of word for tying for a league title) in 2015 and 2017. And also in 2007, when they got to the 3rd round of the tournament.

This thing they always do doesn't happen very often.

Still state champs tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-19, 10:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagsIH View Post
Still state champs tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What?