Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-19, 10:05 PM
All Region

ruskin is on a distinguished road
Dayton Division II

Who comes out? Who are the dark horses?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-19, 08:12 AM
Varsity

Northridge2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskin View Post
who comes out? Who are the dark horses?
watch out for northridge. Have won 7 of last 8 games. Playing great defense and great team chemistry. Have two star players averaging 21 and 7, and 16 and 9 a game. I see them in atleast a sectional championship but im not naive to think once they run into trotwood they wont get beat by 50 lol. Its trotwoods district to lose.
Old 02-08-19, 09:55 AM
Junior Varsity

chwestbroo is on a distinguished road
Trotwood and CJ are the 2 top Dayton teams. Possible darkhouses for me is Thurgood and Alter. (depends on what Alter team shows up come tourney time)
Old 02-08-19, 10:14 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwestbroo View Post
trotwood and cj are the 2 top dayton teams. Possible darkhouses for me is thurgood and alter. (depends on what alter team shows up come tourney time)
i agree about thurgood. They only lost to cj by 2 i believe. Should be interesting sectional and district championships but i dont see trotwood losing to anybody until state.
Old 02-08-19, 11:24 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 02-08-19, 11:36 PM
Freshman

KnightofOld is on a distinguished road
I know Alter laid an egg vs CJ the second time and got crushed. The Eagles did shoot really well. Regardless, those types of games have happened to everyone. Alter lost to CJ by 4 or 5 early in December.

I truly believe Alter is the dark horse in this area for DII. It all depends which team shows up come tournament time. They are at full strength and have lots of dudes capable of scoring or chipping in buckets here and there. Early season, 7 and 8 point losses to Badin and Thurgood must be taken with a grain of salt. The Knights had three practices with their squad after coming off a state title appearance in football to get ready for the season. They also had several players out. Coach Coulter only had 6 guys to work with. Now, he's got a healthy and active group of nine-ten players. If Alter played Badin now, they'd beat them by 15+.
Old 02-08-19, 11:47 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Dayton Division II

Sorry wrong thread I posted in
Old 02-09-19, 09:19 AM
Junior Varsity

AG321 is on a distinguished road
I just don't see anyone beating trotwood in the sw district!!!!
Old 02-09-19, 12:08 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofOld View Post
I know Alter laid an egg vs CJ the second time and got crushed. The Eagles did shoot really well. Regardless, those types of games have happened to everyone. Alter lost to CJ by 4 or 5 early in December.

I truly believe Alter is the dark horse in this area for DII. It all depends which team shows up come tournament time. They are at full strength and have lots of dudes capable of scoring or chipping in buckets here and there. Early season, 7 and 8 point losses to Badin and Thurgood must be taken with a grain of salt. The Knights had three practices with their squad after coming off a state title appearance in football to get ready for the season. They also had several players out. Coach Coulter only had 6 guys to work with. Now, he's got a healthy and active group of nine-ten players. If Alter played Badin now, they'd beat them by 15+.

What about Carroll, CJ and Purcell Marian(?) , and no way they beat Badin by 15+ Alter just scored 38 points against Carroll last night. They seem to be wildly inconsistent.
Old 02-09-19, 01:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
What about Carroll, CJ and Purcell Marian(?) , and no way they beat Badin by 15+ Alter just scored 38 points against Carroll last night. They seem to be wildly inconsistent.
Carroll is D1. Purcell is D3. Alter played stall ball with Carroll 2nd half. Knights were up 14 at half. They also have their whole team now.
Old 02-09-19, 01:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Carroll is D1. Purcell is D3. Alter played stall ball with Carroll 2nd half. Knights were up 14 at half. They also have their whole team now.
I wasn't talking about Alter playing those teams in the postseason I was referencing the "excuse" that they lost to badin because they were missing players...that may be true but they are 3-5 in the Coed. They could lose to anyone other than probably Bacon. The Coed is pretty balanced.
Old 02-09-19, 11:51 PM
All Ohio

petroglyph is on a distinguished road
Last 3 games Alter has given up 28.18 and 28 points.Expect they played with an inflated ball, so somebody is playing defense..2 of the games were versus 2 respectable squads, Watterson and Carroll..Bethel-Tate is flat lousy.
Old 02-10-19, 10:26 AM
All Region

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG321 View Post
I just don't see anyone beating trotwood in the sw district!!!!
Taft or Hughes would give them a good game. Would love to see the match up.
Old 02-10-19, 10:53 AM
All American

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Alter playing those teams in the postseason I was referencing the "excuse" that they lost to badin because they were missing players...that may be true but they are 3-5 in the Coed. They could lose to anyone other than probably Bacon. The Coed is pretty balanced.
I know what you're saying. The only true bad loss I see is the Carroll one the first time.

Badin- missing 3 starters
Purcell- close game;
CJ both times- missing starters/they shot lights out
Fenwick- beat
Carroll- split, second time had full squad
McNicholas- beat with missing 3 starters
Roger Bacon and Fenwick 2nd time- TBD
Old 02-10-19, 11:26 AM
All World

I could argue that The Rockets were missing 2 starters that game (one being prob. their best all around player) not sure. soo... anyhow the topic is "Dark horses" and I agree that with some luck alter could emerge as that team.

Last edited by Irwin20; 02-10-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:55 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Stop making excuses for Alter. Dealing with injuries is part of it. No way Uhl becomes the player he is had Bazelak and the other kid been there all year. Same for the development of ther 6í8 kid. Letís see how they do now.
Old 02-10-19, 03:30 PM
All American

Trent 1
Oakwood bye (plays Badin/Ponitz)

Badin/Ponitz

Massie/Ross

Bellbrook/Thurgood

Trent 2

Monroe bye (plays Valley View/Fenwick)

Valley View/Fenwick

Alter/West Carrollton

Eaton/CJ
Old 02-10-19, 06:39 PM
Varsity

Not a big fan of how they do seeding. Northridge got a good 4 seed but they donít play anyone lower than a 9 seed to get to district championship. There are other 4 seeds that play 12 and 13 seeds. Their first opponent is a 7 seed. Whatís the incentive of getting a good seed if you have to play another high seed the very first game?
Old 02-10-19, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge2010 View Post
Not a big fan of how they do seeding. Northridge got a good 4 seed but they donít play anyone lower than a 9 seed to get to district championship. There are other 4 seeds that play 12 and 13 seeds. Their first opponent is a 7 seed. Whatís the incentive of getting a good seed if you have to play another high seed the very first game?
This isn't the NCAA tournament. The coaches pick where they go in the brackets. This is a matter of the mid level seeds running away from the top seeds and picking a bracket they think they have the best chance of winning games in.
Old 02-10-19, 08:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
This isn't the NCAA tournament. The coaches pick where they go in the brackets. This is a matter of the mid level seeds running away from the top seeds and picking a bracket they think they have the best chance of winning games in.
Northridge coach always chooses the hardest route. For the past 5 years. I donít think itís right for the hard working seniors on the team. It should be closer to the ncaa tournament seeding. To where the best teams meet later in the tournament. In Northridge sectional the lowest seed is 7.
Old 02-10-19, 08:44 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Northridge coach always chooses the hardest route. For the past 5 years. I donít think itís right for the hard working seniors on the team. It should be closer to the ncaa tournament seeding. To where the best teams meet later in the tournament. In Northridge sectional the lowest seed is 7.
Northridge could've gone into Trotwoods sectional. If so, they would have gotten to play 2 bad teams and then play Trotwood in the sectional final.
Old 02-10-19, 08:59 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Northridge could've gone into Trotwoods sectional. If so, they would have gotten to play 2 bad teams and then play Trotwood in the sectional final.
I think we all know Northridge isnít gonna go very far in tournament. I wouldíve rather them make it to sectional championship than have to go through 3 pretty good teams to make it to sectional championship.
Old 02-10-19, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
He went away from trotwood. Can't blame him. Might be a tougher sectional but best option to play for district championship.
Old 02-10-19, 11:09 PM
All District

Matt Goeller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If this situation is the same as other sw district tournament seeding meetings ( and I almost certain it is), it goes like this. Coaches vote for seeding online. They meet today and then get to choose where they place their team in the bracket based on their seed. first seed chooses first, second seed next and down the line. a coach may choose to pass if he/she wishes. So, in this case, Northridge chose its spot and when the 7 seed came to its turn, that coach either decided that the best available spot for his team was to play Northridge or he passed and chose that spot later in the rotation. It is not a random draw. the 7,8 and 9 seeds in this district apparently felt that their best chance to win was to choose to be in the bracket with Northridge rather than in the other brackets.
Old 02-11-19, 07:59 AM
All World

Dayton 1 Bracket:

Fenwick/ CJ= winner CJ

Wyoming/McNick= winner Wyoming

CJ/ Wyoming= winner CJ
Old 02-11-19, 07:45 PM
All District

Gunfire09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dayton 1 Bracket:

Fenwick/ CJ= winner CJ

Wyoming/McNick= winner Wyoming

CJ/ Wyoming= winner CJ
Hi Irwin. I think your Rockets take down Wyoming and Fenwick gets over the hump against C.J. after 2 OT losses this year to them. You know what they say tough to beat a good team 3 times in one season especially league opponents that know each other well. Fenwick C.J. game will be held at the new Middletown High gym and hometown crowd helps them get dub. Gage kid is tough. Staleyís done a great job with his group as usual and his last hoorah so wonít be easy. I predict another war great battle between these two. Donít want to miss this one. Whomever wins I believe moves on to win next one and maybe more. Go GCL!
Old 02-11-19, 09:53 PM
Varsity

BigBlue23 is on a distinguished road
This is the year Cincinnati takes the region!