Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 01:16 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
North Coast League ('18/'19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings4life View Post
You may call me what you like but I am honest. According to you, LC was the top seed just yesterday. Today, they are overrated. What are they going to be tomorrow? You are not making any sense. Be genuine and people will respect those words.

I see how things the way they are. And honestly take predictions with a grain of salt. That is what I think the NE district board was going to seed the teams and I was just being realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by C'Town216; 02-03-19 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-03-19, 09:52 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Lake Vs. VASJ for the district championship is what is most likely coming down the pike.It will be an exciting battle that both teams and their fanbases don't want to lose.These schools have history and thats just what it is.I have associates who have graduated,and have kids who have graduated from that school.Poking fun is all this is about.I will give Lake their just due though.Their concession stand is among the best and they have stepped up their Pretzel game significantly......Salute!!!!! Drinks are on me!!!..................................Now go get your shine box Tommy!!!!!
Old 02-03-19, 02:08 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
There will always be tension between the two schools - that may not ever change. You have two schools that battle for the same kids to enroll. Im sure there is stuff both schools say about each other to accomplish that feat. I know Lake for years said "Joe's is closing" and had things not changed that would have been a true statement. There is also a lot of cross pollination with families, coaches and administrators.

This year Joe's return pretty much the same squad as last year - minus Jerry Higgins. This is the same kids that were involved in the unfortunate incident last year that brought attention to the game for the wrong reasons. While kids may forgive - they seldom forget.

The bottom line is Lake wants what Joe's has and the only way to achieve that is by beating the Vikings. The Vikings want to continue the amazing run they have been on for the last 6 years and sure dont want Lake to end that run.

I think when focused Joe's is the better and deeper team. I also feel Joe's is more balanced this year which makes them harder to defend. Lake has two real threats to worry about and Kwasniak is really good at taking away a teams #1 option (like last year).

We have also learned that Joe's needs to play well to win. They seem to like close games and are beatable if they bring anything less then their best effort. The margin for error seems less then in years past.

I expect another good game between these rivals to determine who makes it to Canton and maybe beyond.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 02-03-19, 11:54 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
I know I'm a wrestling guy, but I do know a little about that sport you call basketball. For those of you old enough to remember the 1980's, this years NCL reminds me of the Big East of that decade. Every year, those team would beat each other up in conference play and then play a very tough out of conference schedule, but come tournament time they were battle tested. On "Selection Sunday" the Big East teams didn't have great records, but sure enough, they would put four in the sweet sixteen year after year, two in the elite eight and one in the finals.
This year in DII, you should have five teams still playing in the round of 32: Lake Catholic and VASJ out east, Benedictine and Gilmore in Stow and CCC over in N. Ridgeville. Not to mention Hoban making a run in DI. Truly a great year for the NCL.
Old 02-04-19, 09:03 AM
All World

The big division of the NCL has been amazingly even. Although VASJ is remarkably unbeaten - they very well could have lost all the games. CCC, Bene, Hoban and VASJ are about as evenly matched as you can get. Almost every game is either OT or are decided on the last possession. I expect all of the upper tier teams to be a tough out in their Districts.

Old 02-04-19, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Benny needs to figure a few things out between now and the state tourney. Yeah they have played an incredibly tough schedule and lost their Coach for a stretch of games but they just seem to be out of sync. It will be interesting to see what they do in the weeks leading up to the Stow District to correct some of their flaws.
Old 02-04-19, 12:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Benny needs to figure a few things out between now and the state tourney. Yeah they have played an incredibly tough schedule and lost their Coach for a stretch of games but they just seem to be out of sync. It will be interesting to see what they do in the weeks leading up to the Stow District to correct some of their flaws.

No doubt you hope your team does resynch and get things rolling. Bene this season is really good and can do damage in the tourney this season, however. Anything less of a district championship right now, Regional is obviously a tougher field and likely would have to face VASJ or Lake Catholic in the first semifinal.it feels like a waisted season when coming up short, and leaves you with the would of, could of, should of thoughts running in your mind. Idk how many times feeling that running through my head when VASJ got bounced from the tournament in sooner than later, especially the 2010, 2011, and 2012 teams losing to CCC and Richmond Hts in the District Finals. Even after losing to Liberty Benton and Garaway in the final four in 07, and 08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-19, 09:33 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Make -up Date

Tuesday ,Feb 5th will be the triple header....Freshman,JV,Varsity against CCC.This was cancelled last Fri. due to the frigid temps.Does anyone know if this kicks off at 4:30pm?
Old 02-04-19, 11:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Tuesday ,Feb 5th will be the triple header....Freshman,JV,Varsity against CCC.This was cancelled last Fri. due to the frigid temps.Does anyone know if this kicks off at 4:30pm?
4:30 frosh tip
Old 02-05-19, 07:27 AM
All World

Curious to see how the Vikings play after being off so long. It would be nice to see the intensity back along with the solid defense we saw early in the season. CCC and VASJ always seem to have close, chippy and entertaining games. Would love to see the Vikings play with a lead as opposed to coming back from behind in dramatic fashion.

Old 02-06-19, 12:50 PM
Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
The big division of the NCL has been amazingly even. Although VASJ is remarkably unbeaten - they very well could have lost all the games. CCC, Bene, Hoban and VASJ are about as evenly matched as you can get. Almost every game is either OT or are decided on the last possession. I expect all of the upper tier teams to be a tough out in their Districts.
Depends what you mean by "as evenly matched as you can get." Hoban beat CCC by 21 at home. And beat Bene by 14 at home.
Old 02-06-19, 02:22 PM
All World

And VASJ beat both those teams - what is your point.

Old 02-07-19, 09:09 AM
Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
And VASJ beat both those teams - what is your point.
Sorry for offending you. Yes, the conference is very well balanced, relative to a traditional conference with some weaklings. It is a great conference.
However, you stated "Almost every game is either OT or are decided on the last possession." I was giving you two examples of when that did not happen. Don't follow enough to know if there are others.
Old 02-08-19, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Benny loses yet another close game last night to a tough opponent, Garfield Hts., on the last possession. This is really getting old...
Old 02-08-19, 01:56 PM
All World

Vikings take on a team we dont see on a regular basis tonight at Padua comes to Viking Village.

Bene lost another close one last night to a Garfield team that is starting to play a bit better. Bene has lost several close games this year and seem to be struggling to close games out.

Old 02-10-19, 04:02 PM
All American

Some scores from around the NCL from this past week

Blue Division

VASJ 86 <
Padua 55
*Crossover

VASJ 58 <
Euclid 43
*Non-Conference

Benedictine 69 <
Walsh Jesuit 58
*Crossover

Hoban 70 <
NDCL 42
*Crossover

Hoban 63 <
Massillon 46
*Non-Conference

CCC 68 <
Lake Catholic 53
*Crossover

NCL Red Division

VASJ 86 <
Padua 55
*Crossover

Benedictine 69 <
Walsh Jesuit 58
*Crossover

Hoban 70 <
NDCL 42
*Crossover

CCC 68 <
Lake Catholic 53
*Crossover

NCL White Division

St.Thomas Aquinas 56 <
Trinity 39

Gilmour Academy 92 <
Warren JFK 55

Gilmour Academy 65 <
University School 43
*Non-Conference

Last edited by C'Town216; 02-10-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 04:16 PM
All American

Here are the NCL standings as of 2/10/19
Note: crossover games do not affect division standings

Blue Division:

1. VASJ 13-4 (4-1)
2. Hoban 13-4 (3-2)
3. Benedictine 9-9 (3-3)
4. CCC 11-8 (1-5)

VASJ owns the tiebreaker against Hoban

Red Division:

T-1. Lake Catholic 13-4 (3-1)
T-1. Walsh Jesuit 10-9 (3-1)
T-3. Padua 9-10 (1-3)
T-3. NDCL 5-13 (1-3)

White Division:

1. Gilmour Academy 15-3 (4-0)
2. Warren JFK 5-12 (2-3)
3. Aquinas 4-13 (2-4)
4. Trinity 1-11 (0-2)
Old 02-10-19, 04:56 PM
All American

OHSAA District Seeds for NCL teams:

Division I
Archbishop Hoban #3 seed @ Barberton District
Walsh Jesuit #6 seed @ Barberton District

Division II
Villa Angela-St.Joseph #1 seed @ Ashtabula District
Lake Catholic # 2 seed @ Ashtabula District
Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin #11 seed @ Ashtabula District
Cleveland Central Catholic #1 seed @ North Ridgeville District
Padua Franciscan #10 seed @ North Ridgeville District
Gilmour Academy #2 seed @ Stow-Munroe Falls District
Benedictine #3 seed @ Stow-Munroe Falls District

Division III
Trinity #13 seed @ Garfield Heights District

Division IV
Warren JFK #7 seed @ Orwell District
St.Thomas Aquinas #8 seed @ Struthers District

Best of luck to all the teams in the postseason!
Old 02-10-19, 07:18 PM
All World

Good one slated for Friday night as VASJ travels to Benedictine. If the game is like the first one it should be a wild one.