Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-19, 08:09 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
lol
Old 02-09-19, 08:17 AM
All World

I still have zero gauge on NWOhio versus the rest of Ohio or even NEOhio for that matter.

The tourney is going to be tough and whoever gets out will be battle hardened. My biggest gripe for years was teams in NWOhio having to beat a good team three times in order to get out. In many cases it was facing at least two teams a 3rd time on the way out and it usually proved costly. This season is no different and history is not on Whitmer's side. Gripe is probably a poor choice of words because come tourney time you simply have to beat who is in front of you and advance but over the years, the team to best represent NWOhio did not make it out on many occasions. With more schools and parity of leagues in the rest of the state I'd be curious how many teams have to face a team for a third time on the way out? And perhaps face a team for a third time a couple times on the way out?
Old 02-09-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Old 02-09-19, 09:09 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I still have zero gauge on NWOhio versus the rest of Ohio or even NEOhio for that matter.

The tourney is going to be tough and whoever gets out will be battle hardened. My biggest gripe for years was teams in NWOhio having to beat a good team three times in order to get out. In many cases it was facing at least two teams a 3rd time on the way out and it usually proved costly. This season is no different and history is not on Whitmer's side. Gripe is probably a poor choice of words because come tourney time you simply have to beat who is in front of you and advance but over the years, the team to best represent NWOhio did not make it out on many occasions. With more schools and parity of leagues in the rest of the state I'd be curious how many teams have to face a team for a third time on the way out? And perhaps face a team for a third time a couple times on the way out?
You don't have to beat a team three times to advance in the tourney.....you only need to beat them once. It's real simple....don't play the league teams twice. I"ve never understood why leagues feel the need to do that anyway. Play the league teams once and non-conference the others. It would be a lot more variety and then at worst you'd only ever have to play any team twice in a season instead of 3
Old 02-09-19, 09:32 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
You don't have to beat a team three times to advance in the tourney.....you only need to beat them once. It's real simple....don't play the league teams twice. I"ve never understood why leagues feel the need to do that anyway. Play the league teams once and non-conference the others. It would be a lot more variety and then at worst you'd only ever have to play any team twice in a season instead of 3

The need is also one of revenue to keep programs funded, particularly non-revenue sports. Kids look forward to seeing their team at home against conference foes. That's also real simple. Besides, that extra game gives those mid-season added recruits a chance to feel-out the competition, not that that ever happens or anything.

Tradition, revenue, will beat pragmatism everytime.
Old 02-10-19, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

I just realized some of these games can be watched in replay on BCSN website. Might give a look at that Whitmer-CCHS game.

Anyone see it? Well played or just competitive?
Old 02-10-19, 02:27 PM
Freshman

Northpole is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Damond Powell. Cat quick. Got shot but not as many times as Scoop. Good trivia, how many separate times has Scoop Williams been shot?

I called Henderson "Deonte" for some reason? Brain fart. He is on the list though.

Start had a Williams kid that was good when they won a title for Gil.

Modern era Woodward has produced very little but they did have a good one perhaps 10 years ago. Escapes me.

Forgot to mention Darrington from Scott. Steve Wheeler could also be worth mentioning. I also want to say that Scott had another undersized PG near Springs?
Woodward.. Ray Hook 2009 class before him CL leading scorer Alex Malone? 2003 class I believe
Old 02-10-19, 02:52 PM
All Yappi

Easy to see why Malone got lost in the history books. Here's a very nice article. Wonder how his academic path went?

https://www.toledoblade.com/HighScho...o-success.html
Old 02-15-19, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

Big weekend's games

SJJ-SFS to see who is still dangerous with play-offs coming.

Findlay-Lima Senior to try and avenge a bad loss.

Whitmer- St Eds to see how the league is holding up. Ed's seeded #1 in their sectional but not with any other contenders so... AND the day after a game against #1 Labron High
Old 02-15-19, 01:32 PM
All Region

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Toledo Whitmer 17 - 1 11 - 1
Lima Senior 16 - 4 10 - 2
Toledo St. Francis 15 - 5 7 - 5
Findlay 13 - 7 7 - 5
Toledo St. John's 11 - 7 7 - 5
Toledo Central Catholic 11 - 8 5 - 7
Oregon Clay 3 - 16 1 - 11
Fremont Ross 3 - 16 0 - 12

Not much separation from night to night between the top 6 teams in the league. Whitmer pretty much has a share of the title wrapped up. Lima has a say in that share.
Old 02-15-19, 09:14 PM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
Toledo Whitmer 17 - 1 11 - 1
Lima Senior 16 - 4 10 - 2
Toledo St. Francis 15 - 5 7 - 5
Findlay 13 - 7 7 - 5
Toledo St. John's 11 - 7 7 - 5
Toledo Central Catholic 11 - 8 5 - 7
Oregon Clay 3 - 16 1 - 11
Fremont Ross 3 - 16 0 - 12

Not much separation from night to night between the top 6 teams in the league. Whitmer pretty much has a share of the title wrapped up. Lima has a say in that share.
Spartans and Panthers will duke it out for TRAC supremacy next Friday night. Now, say Lima wins.. Is it a shared title or with the Spartans sweeping the Panthers, are they the outright champs?? Anyway would much rather have a long tourney run than a TRAC champs t-shirt!!
Old 02-15-19, 11:42 PM
All Region

jafo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan87 View Post
Spartans and Panthers will duke it out for TRAC supremacy next Friday night. Now, say Lima wins.. Is it a shared title or with the Spartans sweeping the Panthers, are they the outright champs?? Anyway would much rather have a long tourney run than a TRAC champs t-shirt!!
It would be a shared title.
Old 02-16-19, 01:42 AM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo View Post
It would be a shared title.
I knew it would be shared, just throwing some fodder out there for conversation!
Old 02-16-19, 08:43 PM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Ok, jumping back to the all time greats here in town, and I know I'm late to the game. But just how good was Truman Claytor?
Old 02-16-19, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

Decent ref but nothing to write Ma about.
Old 02-16-19, 10:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
Ok, jumping back to the all time greats here in town, and I know I'm late to the game. But just how good was Truman Claytor?
We were doing a 1989 and after team. Truman would certainly make the pre-Jackson team.
Old 02-16-19, 10:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan87 View Post
I knew it would be shared, just throwing some fodder out there for conversation!
Had the pleasure of watching the 1989 Macomber vs Lima Sr. video the other day. David Smith from Macomber is someone I forgot to mention. He and his brother Otis "Chip" Smith both went to Owens and then Findlay.

That Lima Sr. game was at Lima and packed to the gills. Two, two-time, Mr. Basketball players played in that game in Jackson (senior) and Simpson (freshman). Myron Bell and the Glover kid for Lima both headed to Michigan State for football. Athletes everywhere and the brand of basketball was very good. It looked like a college game of that era with both teams working for great shots. Both teams were extremely sound in everything they did. Interesting to watch.
Old 02-17-19, 06:16 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We were doing a 1989 and after team. Truman would certainly make the pre-Jackson team.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-19, 09:07 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like the TRAC took it on the chin last night on the state level stage.
Old 02-17-19, 10:32 AM
All World

Sure did. Whitmer was handled by a 7 loss Ed's team.
Old 02-17-19, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

We weren't under any illusions. St. Eds is a bit above average but not themselves state level. There's some excitement to be had in the conference and the division is up in the air. Anything beyond that will be a surprise. It's Labron High by a lot.