Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-19, 11:46 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Big ten Hoops

I'd like to get a thread starter on big ten hoops. I know it's not the best conference in the county, but it's generally pretty competitive and there should be alot of folks in the Yappi group that are fans of big ten schools. I'm a Hoosier.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-11-19, 11:53 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
So far I'd say the Hoosiers are pretty much what I thought they'd be. A fairly young team in that other than Juwan Morgan and Zack McRoberts, it's pretty much freshmen and sophomores.
Unfortunately this team has been beset with the injury bug. Starting point guard Rob Phinesee has been out for a few weeks with a concussion and doesn't appear to be back anytime soon. Jake Forrester is out, D'Ron Davis is slowed by an ankle and Race Thompson, who was expected to contribute has been out all season.
So Archie has somehow been able to smoke and mirrors the Hoosiers to a respectable 12-3, largely on the shoulders of Morgan and freshman phenom Romeo Langford. The bad news for Hoosier fans is that our two best players will be with us for a couple of months, then likely be gone. Morgan is a senior, Romeo is likely headed to the NBA.

I think right now, Michigan and Michigan State are heads and shoulders above the class in the big ten.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-19, 02:48 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
The big ten is shaping up into a big two, a pretty darn good 6-7 and then the bottom. IU got drilled last night by a Nebraska team that's quietly put together a good season. They have 3 seniors who I'd put up against alot of teams.

That said IU generally doesn't lose much at home.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-19, 11:26 AM
Chop Stix Chop Stix is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-06-05
Location: Bayside High
Posts: 3,653
Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Michigan gets past Wisconsin on the road tomorrow but I expect them to lose at IU next Friday. IU got unlucky with foul trouble early on in Ann Arbor and fell behind by a lot, but when they had their best players on the court for longer stretches later in the game they had the look of a very strong team.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-19, 12:43 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Michigan got clipped at Wisky Saturday, and Virgina lost as well so IU's 76 National championship teams undefeated record is safe.

IU's backpedaling now. This team has few shooters, so defenses are stacking the paint and making them shoot. Imagine, an IU team with no shooters?

I still see it as Michigan State and Michigan at the top of the big ten.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-19, 09:22 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, needless to say, things have changed drastically for the Indiana basketball team. It may be the worst in the big ten as of now. They lost their 7th straight last night, at Rutgers.
This team seems way off now, and while I want to blame most of it on the play on the court, there seems to be some kind of disconnect with the coaching staff.
Any Dayton fans out there? Thoughts on Archie Miller? This is only his second season, so it's early, but this team is trending in a bad way right now.
Obviously, Archie is a defensive oriented coach, and his teams have generally played inside out. Should we panic yet, or does it take time for him to mold teams?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-19, 01:42 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 3,808
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Well, needless to say, things have changed drastically for the Indiana basketball team. It may be the worst in the big ten as of now. They lost their 7th straight last night, at Rutgers.
This team seems way off now, and while I want to blame most of it on the play on the court, there seems to be some kind of disconnect with the coaching staff.
Any Dayton fans out there? Thoughts on Archie Miller? This is only his second season, so it's early, but this team is trending in a bad way right now.
Obviously, Archie is a defensive oriented coach, and his teams have generally played inside out. Should we panic yet, or does it take time for him to mold teams?
IU was Bobby Knight period. Coaching at all levels is everything, like Holtmann at OSU , IU should give Miller 3 years, if he hasn't succeeded by than he probably never will. One thing to win at Butler or UD totally another story to win in the BIG. Hate Xichigan however they at least hired a coach from a major university who coached in a major conference ( when the Big East was very good ).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-19, 03:02 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
IU was Bobby Knight period. Coaching at all levels is everything, like Holtmann at OSU , IU should give Miller 3 years, if he hasn't succeeded by than he probably never will. One thing to win at Butler or UD totally another story to win in the BIG. Hate Xichigan however they at least hired a coach from a major university who coached in a major conference ( when the Big East was very good ).
My big concern moving forward with Miller is the lack of shooting the 3 ball. I don't think you can be successful in today's college hoops by playing old school ball. I just don't.

John Bielein is a great coach, and really gets very little recognition. His teams are always playing at their best at the end of the season.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-19, 07:27 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,763
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
As long as they keep losing to Purdue, I'm all for an Indiana turn-around. It's always been one of the more iconic places to play... in SW Indiana. I wish them well.


Surprised, no shocked at the Purdue win over Michigan St. This is not a team stocked with 4-5 star recruits. It's... a Michigan St team, old school. Edwards was a good piece of recruiting luck. Eastern fair game, that's Purdue recruiting ground. If Swanigan had stayed... I think he's playing G-League. What could have been.


Coach Painter doing a good job, filling the needs with capable team players.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-19, 02:31 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
As long as they keep losing to Purdue, I'm all for an Indiana turn-around. It's always been one of the more iconic places to play... in SW Indiana. I wish them well.


Surprised, no shocked at the Purdue win over Michigan St. This is not a team stocked with 4-5 star recruits. It's... a Michigan St team, old school. Edwards was a good piece of recruiting luck. Eastern fair game, that's Purdue recruiting ground. If Swanigan had stayed... I think he's playing G-League. What could have been.


Coach Painter doing a good job, filling the needs with capable team players.
And Purdue turns around an eeks out an overtime win vs. a not good Penn State.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-19, 07:21 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,763
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And Purdue turns around an eeks out an overtime win vs. a not good Penn State.
Purdue lost to a very very not good ND. I'm not saying they're a great team but they do a lot with what he's brought in and... they beat IU.

Purdue-IU: over the years, it's been a surprisingly even home and home series, regardless who was up and who was down, even while Knight was coach. Even after Knight left, he always showed respect towards Keady. Mackey is a great venue. Honestly, never got to IU to see a game though.

I see B10 has five teams ranked but honestly, I'm not seeing that kind of strength. Hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-19, 11:08 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,325
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Purdue lost to a very very not good ND. I'm not saying they're a great team but they do a lot with what he's brought in and... they beat IU.

Purdue-IU: over the years, it's been a surprisingly even home and home series, regardless who was up and who was down, even while Knight was coach. Even after Knight left, he always showed respect towards Keady. Mackey is a great venue. Honestly, never got to IU to see a game though.

I see B10 has five teams ranked but honestly, I'm not seeing that kind of strength. Hope I'm wrong.
Purdue, from Keady to now Painter, always is at least decent. They play hard, they have gritty kids. They've just somehow never been able to put 6 straight good games together in March and win a title, something IU fans can always hang over Boiler's heads.

The ranking system really needs a long overdue overhaul. Both in football and basketball. There are 130 D1 football programs, and 351 D1 basketball programs. But wait, you need to carve out power 5 conferences, becasue by in large, they represent about 98% of the top 25 at any given time. So you are looking at about 60-65 schools who are legitimately "eligible" to be ranked. Add to the fact that most of the big conference teams schedule cupcakes and easy wins non conference, you really don't know how good teams are until deep into conference play.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-19, 08:35 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,763
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Even deep into conference play, its cupcake player against cupcake player. I'm not seeing a strong conference, hoping tournament proves me wrong.

Your point made: being P5 is what matters for rankings.

Football: Purdue couldn't handle a MAC team but a couple wins and all was forgiven, they were ranked. That MAC game really was more indicative of the type of team Purdue had. BUT, the coach is popular so now the recruits are coming. I'm not convinced the guy can x and o, but he can recruit and he plays a fun style and he's in a P5 league. No wonder he chose Purdue over his home team. Painter nearly the opposite. Paint is more interesting than Painter. He did get Swanigan but generally, Painter's forte is the diamond in the rough at a 3-star level. I like watching them play.


OSU, my hopes were up, they looked like overachievers. Very disappointed there. Teams are catching on to Michigan, or they're having a stretch of tired. They pretty much have Purdue's number though so I'm not expecting a tournament win. Mich St or Mich.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-05-19, 09:05 AM
Chop Stix Chop Stix is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 06-06-05
Location: Bayside High
Posts: 3,653
Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Purdue has 5 of their remaining 9 conference games on the road but they're done with Mich and Mich St so they might just cruise to the regular season title if they keep up this stellar run.

Michigan has 5 more road games to play as well and end with two brutal affairs at Maryland and at Michigan State. Unless they find a second wind soon I expect them to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Michigan State had been playing really well without Langford up until a week ago. They still have to visit Wisconsin, an Indiana team that just beat them at home, and entertain a double with Michigan.

I think if MSU and UM split Purdue likely wins the title.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-05-19, 08:48 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,763
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Sure, get my hopes up. IU has home game, that's generally theirs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-13-19, 10:25 AM
TheJect TheJect is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 108
TheJect is on a distinguished road
How many teams make it from the B1G?

Sparty, Purdue, ichigan, Maryland, Wisconsin. Iowa.

Maybe Ohio State. Minny?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-13-19, 11:52 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,763
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Mid-majors getting some legit votes might limit opportunity. Seems a lot of the B10 statement wins are within conference, not OOC. That could work against the non-ranked teams.

What ARE the statement wins for the conference this year, that still hold up? By that I mean, maybe the opponent was ranked at the time but as the season wore on, they were not all that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
‘The Big Bang Theory’ to End With Season 12 Yappi General Board 27 08-29-18 09:49 AM
St John Jesuit dugout- no big deal, or legitimate issue? hammer89 Baseball 7 05-21-18 11:13 AM
Greater Cleveland Picks Contest, Week Ten; Week Nine results Myron Football 35 10-27-17 04:42 PM
Steubenville Big Red Looking For 800th Victory this Week Old Stubber Football 20 10-16-17 11:59 AM
Big Ten Pick'Em bdhof Wrestling 90 03-07-16 02:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz