Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-19, 04:22 PM
cinboiler cinboiler is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 04-13-07
Posts: 7
cinboiler is on a distinguished road
Referee conduct

Attended the Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Great game. I could not get over the arrogance of one of the referees. He was overboard in his dealing with substitution at the scorers table with the players and the people working the table. He was proud of it and admitted it like putting on a show. Any fan who was saying anything negative was stared at and he one time asked the fans who said that as he was beyond being criticized. He did throw a Lakota West fan out on the other side of the court. I heard the usual complaining about foul difference, but did not hear any profanity. Calls can be questionable going both ways, but referees throwing people out for not overboard criticism is wrong. In big heated games, referees need to have thicker skin.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-10-19, 09:35 PM
goshengophers goshengophers is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Posts: 490
goshengophers is on a distinguished road
End well, this thread will not
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-19, 11:53 PM
DaPope DaPope is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-24-12
Posts: 972
DaPope is on a distinguished road
Go back and watch the Division 1 State Final from last year, obviously someone that knows more about Officiating than you thinks he does an alright job.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-19, 07:02 AM
ELK Strong ELK Strong is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-08-15
Posts: 511
ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinboiler View Post
Attended the Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Great game. I could not get over the arrogance of one of the referees. He was overboard in his dealing with substitution at the scorers table with the players and the people working the table. He was proud of it and admitted it like putting on a show. Any fan who was saying anything negative was stared at and he one time asked the fans who said that as he was beyond being criticized. He did throw a Lakota West fan out on the other side of the court. I heard the usual complaining about foul difference, but did not hear any profanity. Calls can be questionable going both ways, but referees throwing people out for not overboard criticism is wrong. In big heated games, referees need to have thicker skin.
LW vs Mason has become one of the best rivalries in the state and always fun to watch. Usually 1 of those 2 teams make a run at state. The refs who tend to showcase their arrogance are ones that have no authority anywhere else in there life, which is why they referee for the power and attention it gives them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-19, 08:02 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
Go back and watch the Division 1 State Final from last year, obviously someone that knows more about Officiating than you thinks he does an alright job.
If the events occurred as claimed, then there is a problem with an unidentified member of the officiating crew. However, I seriously doubt that "Any fan who was saying anything negative was stared at" (think about that statement)so I made a few calls to gather some more facts in order to provide a little balance to the story and allow people to decide if anything was or could have been embellished here...

First, as noted above this is an annual (x2) big game in the league. The assigner is going to put 3 "A" officials on this game each and every time possible. He did so here as the crew has worked individually many games of this magnitude in the league and multiple state tournaments to boot. Total experience for the three is over 100 years and also includes a Hall of Fame Official.

As far as the interactions with the table. I'm told that this gym has one of the best tables in the region. Add that to the fact that these three have worked at this gym dozens of times over the years and I find it (through experience) difficult to believe that there was anything going on between the official and the table.

With regards to the allegations....... In our day and age, when something egregious occurs, it shows up on Youtube...... Nothing of the sort has been posted anywhere online of this official's alleged behavior and none has been reported by the school to the OHSAA. The details of the fan removal were included in the game report that the official filed with the OHSAA (copies immediately to the school administration. If the removal is determined unwarranted, believe me it will get out.

So, take it for what it's worth to you. A fan's perspective or my points showing a history of the official(s) involved.

You make the call. My guess is that the truth, as usual, is somewhere in between...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-19, 09:54 AM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 2,155
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinboiler View Post
Attended the Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Great game. I could not get over the arrogance of one of the referees. He was overboard in his dealing with substitution at the scorers table with the players and the people working the table. He was proud of it and admitted it like putting on a show. Any fan who was saying anything negative was stared at and he one time asked the fans who said that as he was beyond being criticized. He did throw a Lakota West fan out on the other side of the court. I heard the usual complaining about foul difference, but did not hear any profanity. Calls can be questionable going both ways, but referees throwing people out for not overboard criticism is wrong. In big heated games, referees need to have thicker skin.
In big, heated games referees need to have control. Sounds like he was doing his job. You said “admitted he was putting on a show” more likely joked about putting on a show. Agree with other poster- this perspective isn’t ringing true with what most say happening.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-19, 10:37 AM
allcincinnatiteam allcincinnatiteam is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-18-16
Posts: 35
allcincinnatiteam is on a distinguished road
While I do not know about this alleged incident, I do believe that the state of Ohio and NFHS need to look at some form of evaluation system for officials. If officials are bad, they get graded by coaches and other such evaluations, but they continue to get games and aren't getting better. If coaches or players get technicals/ejected there are consequences to both, players have to sit two games, coaches have to pay fines, but if the ref was in the wrong, there is no way to review the situation. I feel like their needs to be a better way to hold the refs accountable to making the right calls and decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-19, 12:33 PM
PortageCountySports PortageCountySports is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-04-15
Posts: 58
PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
There aren’t enough referees in any OHSAA sport to start suspending them for what uneducated(about the laws of the game)parents see as a poor performance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-19, 12:35 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcincinnatiteam View Post
While I do not know about this alleged incident, I do believe that the state of Ohio and NFHS need to look at some form of evaluation system for officials. If officials are bad, they get graded by coaches and other such evaluations, but they continue to get games and aren't getting better. If coaches or players get technicals/ejected there are consequences to both, players have to sit two games, coaches have to pay fines, but if the ref was in the wrong, there is no way to review the situation. I feel like their needs to be a better way to hold the refs accountable to making the right calls and decisions.
People routinely assume that Officials aren’t sanctioned for conduct that is not appropriate.

People shouldn’t assume.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-19, 12:53 PM
allcincinnatiteam allcincinnatiteam is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-18-16
Posts: 35
allcincinnatiteam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
People routinely assume that Officials aren’t sanctioned for conduct that is not appropriate.

People shouldn’t assume.....
what sanctions are there? I'm sure there are sanctions for inappropriate conduct, but what about continuously missing blatant calls/ other in game issues? Asking because I'm searching for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-19, 05:30 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcincinnatiteam View Post
what sanctions are there? I'm sure there are sanctions for inappropriate conduct, but what about continuously missing blatant calls/ other in game issues? Asking because I'm searching for more information.

Let’s not forget here that we are talking about high school basketball.....


Next, the sanctions will be reflected in the quality of schedule and the number of games that official is assigned. Assigners work for the leagues (the schools). If they consistently give games to these officials you refer to, they won’t be employed by that league for long.

Further ramifications for poor officiating are the lack of post season assignments. The vast vast majority of officials strive to work post season games..... a guy/gal isn’t going to get many/any post season assignments if they consistently miss blatant calls.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-19, 05:33 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
My question here is.....

Why do people yell at officials?
What’s to gain?
Do you think that yelling will make someone better?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-19, 06:56 PM
111411's Avatar
111411 111411 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-01-05
Location: Grandpaville
Posts: 18,273
111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
My question here is.....

Why do people yell at officials?
What’s to gain?
Do you think that yelling will make someone better?
I know this is a girl's forum, but there's a gentleman that sits a couple of rows above the scorer's table at a local HS's boys' home games. This gentleman constantly yells at officials, in both the JV AND varsity games, often claiming that the officials were either out of position, or it wasn't their call. After listening to this gentleman, it is apparent that he neither knows the game, nor the rules.

Last edited by 111411; 01-12-19 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-19, 10:45 PM
Curious One Curious One is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-26-12
Posts: 361
Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
Go back and watch the Division 1 State Final from last year, obviously someone that knows more about Officiating than you thinks he does an alright job.
Don’t know the official but anybody that thinks state assignments are based on voting or quality needs to think again; it’s 100% political!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-14-19, 05:56 AM
SMARTY22 SMARTY22 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-23-09
Posts: 1,912
SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinboiler View Post
Attended the Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Great game. I could not get over the arrogance of one of the referees. He was overboard in his dealing with substitution at the scorers table with the players and the people working the table. He was proud of it and admitted it like putting on a show. Any fan who was saying anything negative was stared at and he one time asked the fans who said that as he was beyond being criticized. He did throw a Lakota West fan out on the other side of the court. I heard the usual complaining about foul difference, but did not hear any profanity. Calls can be questionable going both ways, but referees throwing people out for not overboard criticism is wrong. In big heated games, referees need to have thicker skin.
This is comical! A fan thinks an Official was “arrogant and putting on a show” so that Officials conduct is deemed unacceptable:wallbang
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-14-19, 01:01 PM
ringer2 ringer2 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-01-13
Posts: 542
ringer2 is on a distinguished road
All fan behavior does is make the problem worse.

https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/art...form=hootsuite
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-14-19, 01:08 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
Don’t know the official but anybody that thinks state assignments are based on voting or quality needs to think again; it’s 100% political!
Politics are involved, just as in any other work atmosphere.

It's far from 100% however.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-14-19, 02:43 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,000
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Now we know where TV Teddy Valentine is now doing games.

From the Big Ten, to HS girls hoops.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-14-19, 04:14 PM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
My God, some people just don't know when to stop treating high school basketball like it's the Big Ten.

Referees are paid to be the LAW OF THE COURT. That doesn't mean they have to be jackasses (I bet the OP is exaggerating and this official's conduct was not out of line), but officials have to command respect unless they want the game getting out of control and ending in a fight. It is not our job to be the nicest guys out there. If I get called "arrogant" by a couple disgruntled fans or coaches, but I keep the game in check and call plays strongly, so be it.

Someone once told me about officiating that "if you don't piss a couple people off along the way, you're not doing your job right." While I don't intentionally go out there to make people mad, doing so is a byproduct of the position, and if I was concerned with keeping everyone happy I wouldn't last very long.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-14-19, 04:18 PM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
There aren’t enough referees in any OHSAA sport to start suspending them for what uneducated(about the laws of the game)parents see as a poor performance.
In this day and age people want police officers fired, demoted or suspended when even just the perception of excessive force or other misconduct exists.

Same thing with officials and perceived poor judgment calls or "arrogance."

Thankfully, those entrusted with hiring/firing officials see things more objectively and don't cave into the whims of disgruntled fans.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-14-19, 04:19 PM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Now we know where TV Teddy Valentine is now doing games.

From the Big Ten, to HS girls hoops.
You'll see Teddy doing just fine in the ACC making $3,500 a game.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-14-19, 09:20 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 8,000
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
You'll see Teddy doing just fine in the ACC making $3,500 a game.
That where he ended up?
BIg ten's loss is the ACC's....loss I suppose!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-14-19, 11:39 PM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
That where he ended up?
BIg ten's loss is the ACC's....loss I suppose!
He’s been in the ACC and a few other leagues for awhile now (he lives in Charleston, SC).

When you’re as highly accomplished and respected as Teddy is, getting booted from a conference just means you get more games in other leagues. The guy’s been to the Final Four 10 times. Just goes to show you that those in charge of officiating don’t see things the way the average fan does.

He may be theatrical and over-the-top (back in the old days his “style” was more common) and has made plenty of mistakes, but he gets plays right and doesn’t get intimidated by anything or anyone, which is why coaches want him on their games.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-19, 01:02 PM
IVCguy IVCguy is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 230
IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
End well, this thread will not
This is the favorite post I have seen in a while. Lol.

A couple of observations as someone who has watched a lot of games. Of course, that means nothing if I am not understanding what I have seen - which is possible.

I do not believe that officials care who wins the game. I do not care if they are excellent, poor, or in between. I care that they are consistently good, mediocre, or bad and then calls tend to balance out and not affect a game too much.

Personalities shouldn't matter. Arrogant or humble, grouchy or nice, only affects how I feel about them personally - which doesn't amount to a warm bucket of spit.

As a mathematical matter, I do not believe that officials determine the outcome of games. They make dozens of decisions. Players and coaches make thousands during the course of a game. Officiating, at best, allows the best team/best performers to win. At worst, it is something that a team has to overcome. If you don't like losing on a 3 point shot that shouldn't have counted, then play well enough that you are up 5 and it doesn't matter what is called.

Officials are invested with authority, and simply because of that - in the same way that we respect police - we owe them that kind of respect. We can't play fair games without them, they take a lot of unnecessary abuse, and we should try to help encourage them to keep serving the game and the kids in this way.

Officials are human, and as such, there are some bad apples in the bunch - as there are with any group of humans. Maybe they aren't incompetent or corrupt people on the whole but they can be having a bad day, had their wife serve them with divorce papers, been drinking too much lately, and a thousand other things that we have no way of knowing about. Some of them have a bad history with a particular coach, program, or fans and that, consciously or not, comes out in how they call a game. The point is that we have to accept this human element, but not assume it, or we will become "the-refs-were-horrible-again-tonight-guy."

Finally, we need to understand the principle of perspective - in several senses. I got taught a lesson I will never forget a few years ago (2010?) at the girls state championship game. My team was down 2 with seconds left and needed the ball back. Our state POY PG stepped in front of a dribbler, planted her feet and got ran over. The call was a block. I had the perfect angle on it from 20 rows up from the floor in the Schott - perpendicular to the court. I declared that "the worst call in the history of bad calls." My team went on to lose by 4.

I got home and watched the replay of the game on STO. The camera was shooting behind the dribbler and the official who made the call. From that angle, you can see our PG moving laterally to create the contact. I didn't see that from my angle. I concluded then that it wasn't the worst call in the history of bad calls and that it actually was at least defendable. Later I was able to admit it was the right call. So, we see things in the stands that officials can't see and they see things we can't see. That should make us less judgmental about the quality of calls.

Perspective also matters in terms of remembering what we are talking about - HS sports. As the parent of a daughter who played in 3 state championship games and a son who played in one state semi, it doesn't really matter all that much what they outcome of the game is. Sure, you want to win, hang banners, and have those memories, but the kids go on to earn degrees, get jobs, marry, have your grandchildren, and then who won a game in some year in the past doesn't mean that much. What does mean something is the lessons they learned from the experience of playing sports that helped them do great things as adults.

Officials are necessary to that happening. Let's incorporate that into our perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-19, 01:19 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,575
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
This is the favorite post I have seen in a while. Lol.

A couple of observations as someone who has watched a lot of games. Of course, that means nothing if I am not understanding what I have seen - which is possible.

I do not believe that officials care who wins the game. I do not care if they are excellent, poor, or in between. I care that they are consistently good, mediocre, or bad and then calls tend to balance out and not affect a game too much.

Personalities shouldn't matter. Arrogant or humble, grouchy or nice, only affects how I feel about them personally - which doesn't amount to a warm bucket of spit.

As a mathematical matter, I do not believe that officials determine the outcome of games. They make dozens of decisions. Players and coaches make thousands during the course of a game. Officiating, at best, allows the best team/best performers to win. At worst, it is something that a team has to overcome. If you don't like losing on a 3 point shot that shouldn't have counted, then play well enough that you are up 5 and it doesn't matter what is called.

Officials are invested with authority, and simply because of that - in the same way that we respect police - we owe them that kind of respect. We can't play fair games without them, they take a lot of unnecessary abuse, and we should try to help encourage them to keep serving the game and the kids in this way.

Officials are human, and as such, there are some bad apples in the bunch - as there are with any group of humans. Maybe they aren't incompetent or corrupt people on the whole but they can be having a bad day, had their wife serve them with divorce papers, been drinking too much lately, and a thousand other things that we have no way of knowing about. Some of them have a bad history with a particular coach, program, or fans and that, consciously or not, comes out in how they call a game. The point is that we have to accept this human element, but not assume it, or we will become "the-refs-were-horrible-again-tonight-guy."

Finally, we need to understand the principle of perspective - in several senses. I got taught a lesson I will never forget a few years ago (2010?) at the girls state championship game. My team was down 2 with seconds left and needed the ball back. Our state POY PG stepped in front of a dribbler, planted her feet and got ran over. The call was a block. I had the perfect angle on it from 20 rows up from the floor in the Schott - perpendicular to the court. I declared that "the worst call in the history of bad calls." My team went on to lose by 4.

I got home and watched the replay of the game on STO. The camera was shooting behind the dribbler and the official who made the call. From that angle, you can see our PG moving laterally to create the contact. I didn't see that from my angle. I concluded then that it wasn't the worst call in the history of bad calls and that it actually was at least defendable. Later I was able to admit it was the right call. So, we see things in the stands that officials can't see and they see things we can't see. That should make us less judgmental about the quality of calls.

Perspective also matters in terms of remembering what we are talking about - HS sports. As the parent of a daughter who played in 3 state championship games and a son who played in one state semi, it doesn't really matter all that much what they outcome of the game is. Sure, you want to win, hang banners, and have those memories, but the kids go on to earn degrees, get jobs, marry, have your grandchildren, and then who won a game in some year in the past doesn't mean that much. What does mean something is the lessons they learned from the experience of playing sports that helped them do great things as adults.

Officials are necessary to that happening. Let's incorporate that into our perspective.
I have only one disagreement with this entire post.... (which is fantastic I might add)

Like coaches and players, officials too, make thousands of decisions every game..... Every dribble, jab step, spin move, rocker step, screen, cut, box out, field goal attempt, point of contact, time out request, ...etc.... is scrutinized by an official.... many are made at the same time.

It's what we do..... and as you noted perfectly, some are better than others....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-15-19, 02:55 PM
IVCguy IVCguy is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 230
IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
I have only one disagreement with this entire post.... (which is fantastic I might add)

Like coaches and players, officials too, make thousands of decisions every game..... Every dribble, jab step, spin move, rocker step, screen, cut, box out, field goal attempt, point of contact, time out request, ...etc.... is scrutinized by an official.... many are made at the same time.

It's what we do..... and as you noted perfectly, some are better than others....
I guess I am comparing "calls" as defined as the official blowing the whistle vs. what players and coaches do. I have also considered that not blowing the whistle adds to the decisions an official makes.

But going back to the math factor in this discussion - there are 10 players on the floor and 2 coaches making constant decisions during a game. There are only 2 or 3 officials. As a CONGLOMERATE, I have to conclude that coaches and players determine the outcome of games simply because they make more total decisions/actions as a group.

The best thing you can say about officials after a game is that the players and coaches determined the outcome. And almost every time I have heard someone say that they wrong team won because of officiating, I have thought they were dead wrong. The officials don't score or defend. They don't grab rebounds or turn the ball over. They are not passing or dribbling. They don't choose to play zone, man to man, or a junk defense, and they don't choose an offensive concept to run on a possession by possession basis - and they have no to little influence on how well the decisions by the coaches and players are executed.

They can call a game tight or loose - and that has an effect on what players and coaches can do, but the players and coaches still control what they do.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-15-19, 03:52 PM
IVCguy IVCguy is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-18-16
Posts: 230
IVCguy is on a distinguished road
If someone thinks I am too pro-officials, I got thrown out of a big summer hoops event in another state once - for doing... nothing. Well, not nothing, but nothing to get thrown out for. Lol.

I got to the game late and it was a sunny day. I had my sunglasses on while driving, I dropped my passengers off at the door and parked. I meant to leave my sunglasses in the car, but wore them to the door. Realizing my error, but not wanting to miss the beginning of the game, I put the glasses up on the bill of my cap. I then forgot about them and found a place to watch the game standing up against the wall under one of the baskets since it was SRO.

Both teams had amazing athletes and it was an up and down affair: shot-rebound-outlet-up the floor in seconds and then back the other way after a make or miss. One ref was really struggling to keep up with the pace. This guy reminded me of an OL coach at a local HS who agreed to do some hoops reffing. This guy was about 5'9" tall and close to the same around. He was huffing and puffing, and while the action was already in the paint on the other end, he was just making it across half court - but that didn't stop him from making calls from that distance. Coaches, fans, and some of the players were on his case about his long distance judgments. He was obviously frustrated. All that time, I hadn't said a word to him into the 2nd qtr.

Then came a play where my team had a chance to grab a rebound but fumbled it OOB. I simply nodded my head forward in a mild sign of frustration, my sunglasses fell off, they clacked on the floor, and went about 4 inches across the baseline. My first thought was, "Whose are those?", but then realized they were mine and I took a couple of steps toward the court to retrieve my property.

As I reached down for them, the frustrated ref kicked them out of my hand and they went spinning up the floor toward halfcourt. Being a full-bred Kentucky-born hillbilly, that stimulated my temper, but I quickly rationalized that he had just misunderstood what happened, so I figured I would straighten him out with an apology and explanation.

Embarrassed, I begin to walk to retrieve my glasses and he shadowed me. I said, "Hey, I am very, very sorry. I nodded and my glasses fell off my cap, but I will put them away. It won't happen again. Again, I'm very sorry." He said, "Yeah, yeah. You just keep your damn stuff off my floor." That increased my ire, but I went back to my spot, put my glasses in my pocket, and thought it was over. Then the ref stood there under the basket with the ball under his arm and stared me down for, maybe, 15 seconds. I took the bait, called him a synonym for the extreme lower terminus of the GI tract, and he threw me out. I felt a strange mixture of deserving to be thrown out and anger at how he had behaved, but I left the gym.

I got to the lobby and the tourney director grabbed me by the shoulder and said, "Hey, I saw the whole thing. He was way, way out of line. We are going to go back in there, I will stand beside you, and we will watch the game together." So, we did - until a few minutes goes by, the ref sees me standing down there again, stops the game, and throws me out a second time! While he and the director were arguing, I walked outside, down to the other end of the gym where there was an open door and figured I would watch from there just outside the door. On the walk, I considered that he was way out of line, but he was the boss of that floor, I disrespected him, and he was right even though he was wrong. I decided to apologize to him after because I didn't want to be THAT guy.

The game went into OT and before OT started, the ref came down and stood not 15 feet away from me, but he didn't know I was there because of the mirage the sun created in the doorway. The director came over and started arguing with him again about my situation. He told him that I had just nodded my head, and the ref said, "No. I saw him. He threw those glasses onto the floor." Which was a lie. I stepped into the doorway and stared a hole through the side of his head and when he made eye contact with me, I said firmly, "You are a liar." He finished the game and 4 cops escorted him to his car. They thought I was going to assault the man!

The entire thing was ridiculous. But I understood that in a situation like that, someone has to be the bigger man, and I was disappointed in myself that I chose to go down to his level. If I hadn't called him an *******, none of that would have happened. Even though he was acting like an *******. Lol.

Later I apologized to our coach for the distraction. He said, "Oh my gosh, no. I was glad it happened. That ref was going to throw someone out of the game. It wasn't me or any of my players, so, thank you!" Then we had a good laugh.

So, not everyone who wears a striped shirt has the temperament and character to be invested with that kind of authority. But we fans always have the choice of respecting authority and being a big person.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-19, 10:36 AM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
The best thing you can say about officials after a game is that the players and coaches determined the outcome.
Problem with this phrase is that too many times people conclude that an official making a big call at the end of the game is what "decided" the game, whether the call was correct or not.

Well guess what? If you swallow the whistle on a foul at the end of the game because "the kids should decide it," then you have intentionally manipulated the outcome of the game by not calling a foul that was there to be whistled. Admittedly we want high-certainly calls at crucial moments, but if something is there to be called it shouldn't be ignored in the interest of "letting the players determine the outcome." That's just asinine.

You hear more fans complain about a correct call in crunch time than an incorrect no-call, which is just balderdash.

Also, with regard to "not being noticed," I have officiated more than one game where we as a crew called 60-70 fouls. There wasn't anything we could do; the fouls were there to be called. Naturally the fans didn't like it and cried out "LET 'EM PLAY!!", but if we had backed off the game could have gotten chippy to the point where we couldn't reel it back in. Then the cries would have turned to "GET CONTROL OF THE GAME, REF!!" We are often in a no-win situation.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-19, 11:17 AM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 278
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
So, not everyone who wears a striped shirt has the temperament and character to be invested with that kind of authority. But we fans always have the choice of respecting authority and being a big person.
I think this is a great line.

Not much different than police officers. There are some that don't need to have the badge and gun, but the reality is that they are in charge and their position warrants respect. If you have an issue, take it up through the proper channels.

Like Mom says, "You can always control how you respond."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-17-19, 10:03 AM
CoachHoversten CoachHoversten is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-25-13
Posts: 314
CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
The problem is double-sided...from officiating perspective, we don't have enough people that want to or are willing to officiate. The money is not there, travel, expenses (the attire is not gifted and some things, especially shoes, can be very expensive since you can't wear shoes that show much wear and tear), plus the stress of the job and the fan ABUSE, and it is abuse most of the time. Would parents say those things to a police officer? Their child's teacher? But officials "get paid to handle it"? Don't think so. So the problem occurs when a shortage of officials are out there, so younger and inexperienced officials are doing varsity games, or on the flip side, people who should no longer be officiating are doing big games as well.

From the fan's perspective, I think many parents just want "fairness" but if they themselves are not unbiased, it is difficult if not impossible for them to view the calls "fairly". I am also constantly amazed at how parents do not incorporate the level of the game into their expectation of the officials. My son plays YMCA rec league ball....I think maybe once the entire season did I say "huh?" about a call, because, well, no offense to them, but it is YMCA basketball and YMCA officials. I don't expect high caliber play and I don't expect perfect officials. But some parents screamed at the officials and swearing and such....if your son is that good, go play AAU...

I have never officiated basketball (outside of CYO league), but I did OHSAA officiating for wrestling and baseball. I quickly learned the following motto that gets me through any verbal abuse real quick...."as long as I am good enough not to blow the blatantly obvious, I am fine, because every close call will be questioned by one of the two teams"....reality is any bang-bang play, any moved a little for a block or not for a charge call, one of the two teams will argue it's wrong. Don't miss the obvious is all one can ask.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Next referee classes? kwills3045 Wrestling 9 02-07-18 02:19 PM
Referee Needed 1/20 Toledo, Ohio AmyMattin Wrestling 0 01-14-18 04:24 PM
Wrestling referee classes kwills3045 Wrestling 2 12-12-17 07:38 PM
OHSAA Suspends Ohio HS Referee, Legal Action Could Be Next Yappi Football 209 10-09-17 09:57 AM
Cincinnati Referee Class wjjsj Wrestling 0 09-25-17 05:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz