Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-11-17, 12:16 PM
All World

COLTCOUNTRY is on a distinguished road
Cloverleaf - turf

It was installed in 2007 and has held up really well. We have a local guy who did the installation and he comes out every year and walks the field. Repairs seams, etc.

Before turf, the field would be trashed by mid-season from all the use.

Also, a lot of schools upgrade the whole playing area when they install turf. Wadsworth is a great example. The sidelines were just big mud holes prior to the turf installation. Now it has great drainage. Also, the new stuff is just great. And it looks super cool.

Turf is the way to go if you can afford it.
Old 08-11-17, 12:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfanatic View Post
Allen East has turf that was put in last year (summer '16). It may be the smallest (D6) public school in the state with turf. The old grass field was just in too bad of shape. It's beautiful.
River HS in Hannibal (Monroe County) just installed turf. It is D7 and public.

Must have used some of that oil and gas money.
Old 08-12-17, 08:32 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Does Springfield (GWOC) have turf or grass?
Old 08-12-17, 08:51 PM
Varsity

CoachJules is on a distinguished road
Have coached on both turf and grass, currently coach on grass and it is so much better than turf. If a school properly takes care of their turf field (disinfect, repairs, etc.) then turf is worth it because it will last 10+ years and will be worth the cost. Most schools do not though and the turf does not last and needs to be replaced. Also, at least once a year we get multiple kids getting infections like staph and ringworm after playing games on turf. Hopefully the turf fad fades out soon and schools go back to good old grass.
Old 08-13-17, 12:07 AM
All Ohio

mhswarriors83 is on a distinguished road
CHL
Mariemont- turf
Wyoming- turf
Indian Hill- turf
Madeira- turf
Deer Park- turf
Taylor- turf
Reading- grass
Finneytown- grass
Old 08-13-17, 12:09 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
That's awesome! Now as for Coldwater, we just built new locker rooms that can also accommodate Wrestling mats, batting cages, Etc and renovated restrooms. We did a survey earlier in the year about Field Turf but felt that it was best not to ask the community for more donations for a little while so maybe 8 years down the road Coldwater will get turf.
I concur. Too soon to ask for more.

It would be a great addition but I'm still a grass guy. Revisit it down the road.

I just was not fond of the argument that it would attract playoff games and boost the economy. First off, if we continue to make the playoffs that takes one night out of the equation and isn't the state moving all games to friday? Sorry...I'm a little out of the loop. CW is just a bit off the beaten path and likely would not be in play very often. For the msml and sh game? Yeah, but very few others.

That was just a shallow argument to rally people who weren't thinking it through.

In hope it comes to fruition and knowing how the community rallies it would be well received and maintained.
Old 08-13-17, 12:50 AM
All Ohio

Carrolldad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhswarriors83 View Post
CHL
Mariemont- turf
Wyoming- turf
Indian Hill- turf
Madeira- turf
Deer Park- turf
Taylor- turf
Reading- grass
Finneytown- grass
As a Reading grad, I played on Mariemont's artificial turf in the 70's when it was the original Astroturf. I believe they were first in the Cincy area to have it.
Old 08-13-17, 01:00 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Hubbard has some of tge nicest turf in the area. Poland too. Girard is garbage, needs redone.
Have not seen it in person, but hope to get up there this year. Would love to attend the Harding/McKinley opener as I have ties to both cities (and Akron). Ought to be a fun game.

Sounds like Poland will be improved this year and I know Girard has a good QB.
Old 08-13-17, 05:56 PM
Freshman

formerfanatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLTCOUNTRY View Post
River HS in Hannibal (Monroe County) just installed turf. It is D7 and public.

Must have used some of that oil and gas money.

Didn't realize that. Outstanding!
Old 08-16-17, 08:52 AM
All World

Articles on River HS new field turf. The one article mentions Monroe Central and Beallsville also getting turf. Which is interesting cause Beallsville almost cancelled it's program completely a few years ago.

http://www.timesleaderonline.com/spo...t-on-schedule/

http://www.timesleaderonline.com/new...d-highlighted/

These schools are in Monroe County which is in the heart of the oil and gas boom.
Old 08-16-17, 02:00 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Hubbard has some of tge nicest turf in the area. Poland too. Girard is garbage, needs redone.
I heard Hubbard's turf is the same that the Steelers have at their practice facility.

Thanks Jaws31 for the nice compliment.
Old 08-16-17, 03:15 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to see the stats of high schools nationally that now use FieldTurf or whatever synthetic surface brands are out there vs. those that used Astroturf or similar surfaces. I am sure it's a staggering contrast.

The old Astroturf was basically green concrete in my experience. I got tackled once up at Miami's Yager Stadium and skinned the heck out of my elbows-didn't heal for weeks and that was just a pick up game.

As others have mentioned, it is much safer and forgiving than the green parking lots.

For The GMC, each team now has artificial turf (I believe the 2016 season was the first year for this). I believe Fairfield and Middletown were the last two to put it in.

Colerain
Fairfield
Hamilton
Lakota East
Lakota West
Mason
Middletown
Oak Hills
Princeton
Sycamore

Between GMC, GCL and college stadiums being where Colerain plays most of its games nowadays, it's almost a rare treat for me anymore to be at a stadium where you can actually still smell mud and grass. I personally prefer a finely manicured grass field but certainly understand the financial benefits (considerations maybe a better term?) of the artificial surfaces.

With the hundreds of capital campaigns that have gone on around the state the past 10 years plus to put in fields, I wonder how many included provisions to raise additional funds to bank to make money over time to pay for a replacement? A luxury most probably cannot make happen but just curious if there are any out there?
Old 08-16-17, 04:24 PM
Junior Varsity

gils is on a distinguished road
Licking County League
Granville- Grass
Heath- Grass
Johnstown- Turf
Lakewood- Turf
Licking Heights- Grass
Licking Valley- Turf
Newark Catholic- Turf Newark's White Field
Northridge-Grass