Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-08-17, 04:19 PM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
So you don't think JFK has an advantage....

Edmondson kid moved a FEW miles from NF to Lordstown (there are parts of Lordstown that are even in the NF district)...according to the OHSAA... because it is in fact a bona fide move, the family can choose to go to the public school in the district that they live or any parochial without penalty.

So just case your keeping track...Edmondson kid could move to Lordstown and decided to attend and play football at Southington (which is closer than JFK) and he would sit 5 games...same with any other public school except for the district in which he is currently living...BUT...he can go to ANY parochial without a penalty...JFK, Ursuline, Mooney....whomever.

Anyone who says they don't have an advantage isn't smart enough to read the rules. If it were truly an equal playing field then the penalty would be the same for any school outside of the district the student would be living in after the bona fide move.
Old 08-08-17, 07:11 PM
All Ohio

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
The tired old fallback position of someone who doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about. JFK one feeder school with very low enrollment, so they rely on the surrounding communities to get students for the high school. Hence their CB numbers are higher because of this. Are some of the kids better athletes? Yes, absolutely but that is because JFK presents a more attractive option to what they would currently have. I can assure you they do not recruit athletes. As a matter of fact they recently dismissed a probable D1 athlete for npt conducting himself properly, most places, public and private, wpuld have looked the other way and kept him in school. But none of this matters. People will keep clinging to the recruiting nonsense....and we'll just keep on winning
So 14 boys off last year's team were counted in the CB adjustment..... that was What, 40% Of the roster?
Old 08-08-17, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The tired old fallback position of someone who doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about. JFK one feeder school with very low enrollment, so they rely on the surrounding communities to get students for the high school. Hence their CB numbers are higher because of this. Are some of the kids better athletes? Yes, absolutely but that is because JFK presents a more attractive option to what they would currently have. I can assure you they do not recruit athletes. As a matter of fact they recently dismissed a probable D1 athlete for npt conducting himself properly, most places, public and private, wpuld have looked the other way and kept him in school. But none of this matters. People will keep clinging to the recruiting nonsense....and we'll just keep on winning
I do like how you discount "recruiting" though by saying how JFK has to "rely on surrounding communities to get students for high school".

As if somehow that's better. Lol
Old 08-08-17, 07:39 PM
Varsity

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
I do discount recruiting. Recruiting implies that kids go to school for free. Recruiting implies that only athletes are admitted to the school. Neither of which happens. Yes kids come from the surrounding schools becaise quite frankly those schools are horrible and they want a better education. For most it has to do with the faith based education. I know a lot of people have a hard time understanding this but some people actually want better for themselves.
Old 08-08-17, 08:51 PM
Freshman

Norton21 is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone. My first post on the football forum. I sit on both sides of this. I have no problem in how jfk gets their kids. They have to get kids from other communities to survive. I've had friends go to school there and kids of friends go there. But to say they never recruit isn't accurate. I've been around kids getting calls from jfk. I know some athletes that do get a free education there. But i don't really care about all of that. The bottom line is most all schools do it nowadays. And jfk has always represented this area very well. Its a first class school and they play the game the right way. I for one am looking forward to week 2 for a very good physical game which it always has been even back in the 80s when we played them. Best of luck this year jfk hope you go on another state run.
Old 08-08-17, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton21 View Post
Hello everyone. My first post on the football forum. I sit on both sides of this. I have no problem in how jfk gets their kids. They have to get kids from other communities to survive. I've had friends go to school there and kids of friends go there. But to say they never recruit isn't accurate. I've been around kids getting calls from jfk. I know some athletes that do get a free education there. But i don't really care about all of that. The bottom line is most all schools do it nowadays. And jfk has always represented this area very well. Its a first class school and they play the game the right way. I for one am looking forward to week 2 for a very good physical game which it always has been even back in the 80s when we played them. Best of luck this year jfk hope you go on another state run.
JFK openly recruits according to you and you're ok with it because "most all schools do it nowadays". Maybe you should spend a little more time in MAC country.
Old 08-08-17, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I do discount recruiting. Recruiting implies that kids go to school for free. Recruiting implies that only athletes are admitted to the school. Neither of which happens. Yes kids come from the surrounding schools becaise quite frankly those schools are horrible and they want a better education. For most it has to do with the faith based education. I know a lot of people have a hard time understanding this but some people actually want better for themselves.
Recruiting is actively targeting students from outside your district because of their athletic ability. The perks that JFK offers aren't what makes it recruiting.
Old 08-08-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Mercenary football
Old 08-08-17, 09:53 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
JFK openly recruits according to you and you're ok with it because "most all schools do it nowadays". Maybe you should spend a little more time in MAC country.
Yea I'm ok with it. For one its just high school football. Doesn't change my life one bit. It's up to that kids parents where to send their kid no one elses. If jfk gives them a better opportunity or better education then good. Build your program and your school up and kids will morelikely than not stay there. Our community loses very few athletes to jfk.
Old 08-09-17, 07:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yea I'm ok with it. For one its just high school football. Doesn't change my life one bit. It's up to that kids parents where to send their kid no one elses. If jfk gives them a better opportunity or better education then good. Build your program and your school up and kids will morelikely than not stay there. Our community loses very few athletes to jfk.
What other rules/laws are you ok with breaking?

Recruiting=cheating
Old 08-09-17, 07:32 AM
Varsity

The ignorance of those on the outside looking in makes me chuckle. Hearsay, rumors and speculation are all most people go on when it comes to how the private schools operate and no matter how much one tries to explain it to them it gets brushed off. I get it, its easier to say "we lost because they cheat" just as it makes you feel better when you beat those that you feel don't abide by the rules. The fact of the matter is, not everywhere has the benefit of being the liliy-white, golly gee, aw shucks mighty MAC. Some schools have horrible education standards, terrible social problems and even worse athletic situations from the ADs right on down to the trainers. Many parents, like myself, recognized this and made the move to better our kids future. Many parents ,also like myself, make huge financial sacrifices to make this happen. As far as people calling kids, it doesn't happen. I believe people say these things to inflate their own egos. One of my sons is one of the better two sport athletes in our area for his grade and we went to them, not the other way around. I cannot say the same for three other publics with OE in our area once they heard were transferring by the way. Bottom line is I know nothing will change the minds who need to hold onto feeble excuses. I just wish they would educate themselves a little more.
Old 08-09-17, 07:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The ignorance of those on the outside looking in makes me chuckle. Hearsay, rumors and speculation are all most people go on when it comes to how the private schools operate and no matter how much one tries to explain it to them it gets brushed off. I get it, its easier to say "we lost because they cheat" just as it makes you feel better when you beat those that you feel don't abide by the rules. The fact of the matter is, not everywhere has the benefit of being the liliy-white, golly gee, aw shucks mighty MAC. Some schools have horrible education standards, terrible social problems and even worse athletic situations from the ADs right on down to the trainers. Many parents, like myself, recognized this and made the move to better our kids future. Many parents ,also like myself, make huge financial sacrifices to make this happen. As far as people calling kids, it doesn't happen. I believe people say these things to inflate their own egos. One of my sons is one of the better two sport athletes in our area for his grade and we went to them, not the other way around. I cannot say the same for three other publics with OE in our area once they heard were transferring by the way. Bottom line is I know nothing will change the minds who need to hold onto feeble excuses. I just wish they would educate themselves a little more.
So you're saying Norton21 is lying?

If they are recruiting as Norton21 says they are then they are cheating. Plain and simple. I'm sorry if you don't like that.

Does it make you feel good knowing that your school won a State Championship because they brought nearly 40% of the roster in from the "outside"?
Old 08-09-17, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, not everywhere has the benefit of being the liliy-white, golly gee, aw shucks mighty MAC.
Racist much?
Old 08-09-17, 08:44 AM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
not sure what you mean by recruiting.....In the past Lehman contacted all 8th graders in the surrounding counties in the letter stating the benefits of a Lehman education, not sure but I think all Catholic schools sends these out to prospective students.

how many kids have attended the FORT over the past few years , Hobbs, Twait, Rodgers, etc.....that DON"T live in the Forts school district?
Old 08-09-17, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
not sure what you mean by recruiting.....In the past Lehman contacted all 8th graders in the surrounding counties in the letter stating the benefits of a Lehman education, not sure but I think all Catholic schools sends these out to prospective students.

how many kids have attended the FORT over the past few years , Hobbs, Twait, Rodgers, etc.....that DON"T live in the Forts school district?
Norton21 said he knows JFK openly recruits. Ask him.

As for Fort Recovery, Hobbs dad took the Principle job when the kid was in grade school. Rodgers dad and older sister both teach at FR and I believe live in the district.

I don't know the Thwait kid.

Any others?
Old 08-09-17, 09:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Norton21 said he knows JFK openly recruits. Ask him.

As for Fort Recovery, Hobbs dad took the Principle job when the kid was in grade school. Rodgers dad and older sister both teach at FR and I believe live in the district.

I don't know the Thwait kid.

Any others?
is there others? the Twait kid played at and lived in Marion Local school district as a Freshman, not sure if they moved to the Fort or not yet

what do you mean by OPENLY recruits? do they just recruit athletes or ALL kids?, sending mail to potential students or setting up a booth at the local mall( like Lehman does at the Piqua mall) is that openly recruiting?
Old 08-09-17, 09:54 AM
Freshman

Let's not blow this out of proportion. I know of a very few kids in the last 15 years that I would say were persuaded to attend jfk. 95 percent of their students attend there because they are catholic, their parents attended not because they are a d1 athlete. I mean seriously how many d1 players come out of jfk? Very few
Old 08-09-17, 10:17 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Racist much?
Im white moron. Liliy-white wasn't about race, is was about the MACs self-percieved purity and holier than thou attitude.
Old 08-09-17, 10:41 AM
Varsity

Quote:

Does it make you feel good knowing that your school won a State Championship because they brought nearly 40% of the roster in from the "outside"?
First, not sure where you keep getting this 40% number from, it os nowhere near that. Second, being that my kids are among those "outsiders" yeah I'd have to say we feel pretty good about it. My kid has a memory that will be with him for the rest of his life. Being that I also won a State title in high school, I can tell you it gets better with age and I know for a fact that when his kids look at his ring on the mantle they won't ask him if he had any "outsiders" on the team.
Old 08-09-17, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Gotta agree with jaws 31. I'm from youngstown and I know a couple of kids that play for JFK. The families sought out JFK. If JFK recruits, don't you think some of those D-1 players that Harding puts out would've found their way to JFK. I'm also confused on indiandad, whose from MAC terrotory by the ohio- Indiana boarder commenting about the inner workings of a school it would take several hours to reach. JFK used to be a a regular playoff participant in D3-4 just a generation ago. Now they're D7 in an area with a shrinking population, struggling economy and a whopping opiate abuse crisis. If they relied on their feeder school only, they would probably cease to exist. It's always the winning schools who get the recruiting tag. You don't hear the 'R' word with Valley Christian or Ashtabula St John.

Off topic a bit, anybody in Northeast Ohio remember when George Jr Rebublic has a great basketball team? One of the few to beat St Vincent St Mary when LBJ was there. Everybody was saying how unfair it was that a bunch of delinquent street kids from Philly could have a team and that it was an unfair playing advantage. Now that the team isnt winning as before...... not a peep.
Old 08-09-17, 11:06 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
Gotta agree with jaws 31. I'm from youngstown and I know a couple of kids that play for JFK. The families sought out JFK. If JFK recruits, don't you think some of those D-1 players that Harding puts out would've found their way to JFK. I'm also confused on indiandad, whose from MAC terrotory by the ohio- Indiana boarder commenting about the inner workings of a school it would take several hours to reach. JFK used to be a a regular playoff participant in D3-4 just a generation ago. Now they're D7 in an area with a shrinking population, struggling economy and a whopping opiate abuse crisis. If they relied on their feeder school only, they would probably cease to exist. It's always the winning schools who get the recruiting tag. You don't hear the 'R' word with Valley Christian or Ashtabula St John.

Off topic a bit, anybody in Northeast Ohio remember when George Jr Rebublic has a great basketball team? One of the few to beat St Vincent St Mary when LBJ was there. Everybody was saying how unfair it was that a bunch of delinquent street kids from Philly could have a team and that it was an unfair playing advantage. Now that the team isnt winning as before...... not a peep.
Thank you, you are spot on. By the way I grew up in Western Pa and although I didn't play basketball my school played them every year. They were ridiculously good year in and year out. I ran against them in track, they were fast too. Always thought if they had a football team they would have been scary.
Old 08-09-17, 11:12 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=nupanther;6803244] JFK used to be a a regular playoff participant in D3-4 just a generation ago. Now they're D7 in an area with a shrinking population, struggling economy and a whopping opiate abuse crisis. If they relied on their feeder school only, they would probably cease to exist.

Say what? So you are telling me parents only send their children to JFK for their sports? Not for that excellent Catholic education.
Old 08-09-17, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
I love the "40% from outside" technically, 100% come from outside since they do not own the land and all the kids like certain public districts claim.

I went to public school, my parents went to public schools, etc. My oldest attended JFK because of the academic advantages #1, better social environment #2. Football was well down the list. The choice was easy.

I now live in an area with great public schools, so my other kids attend the public schools. Sports in general, and football in particular, do not rule every persons decision process like many would have you believe. If given the same choice again, my son would attend JFK again even knowing he was there during some down years. Football wasn't the deciding factor.
Old 08-09-17, 01:06 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Indian dad....trolled the Moggy and JFK threads all last year...new year...same tired old discussion...
Old 08-09-17, 08:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
is there others? the Twait kid played at and lived in Marion Local school district as a Freshman, not sure if they moved to the Fort or not yet

what do you mean by OPENLY recruits? do they just recruit athletes or ALL kids?, sending mail to potential students or setting up a booth at the local mall( like Lehman does at the Piqua mall) is that openly recruiting?
You seem to know more about Fort's open enrollment kids more than I do, you tell me if there are more.

I defined recruiting in an earlier post. Go back and read it.
Old 08-09-17, 08:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
First, not sure where you keep getting this 40% number from, it os nowhere near that. Second, being that my kids are among those "outsiders" yeah I'd have to say we feel pretty good about it. My kid has a memory that will be with him for the rest of his life. Being that I also won a State title in high school, I can tell you it gets better with age and I know for a fact that when his kids look at his ring on the mantle they won't ask him if he had any "outsiders" on the team.
The 40% comes from a calculation based on the CB adjustment.

It's nice your kid got a great memory of winning a State Title.
Old 08-09-17, 08:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Indian dad....trolled the Moggy and JFK threads all last year...new year...same tired old discussion...
And you swore last year that JFK was made up of "Homegrown" kids. CB says 40% Of your State Championship team was from outside JFK's "district".

Looks like I was right all along last year.
Old 08-09-17, 08:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Hello everyone. My first post on the football forum. I sit on both sides of this. I have no problem in how jfk gets their kids. They have to get kids from other communities to survive. I've had friends go to school there and kids of friends go there. But to say they never recruit isn't accurate. I've been around kids getting calls from jfk.
Norton21's words.... not mine.
Old 08-09-17, 09:14 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And you swore last year that JFK was made up of "Homegrown" kids. CB says 40% Of your State Championship team was from outside JFK's "district".

Looks like I was right all along last year.

Look at the map...this is all Warren. Step into the 'hood...

Warren Champion
Warren Harding
Warren Howland
Warren LaBrea

All those kids that add to the CB number...almost all went to other parochial schools. This is what you don't get.

There were only 2 kids that came in after 8th grade...
Old 08-09-17, 09:22 PM
All American

Quote:
You seem to know more about Fort's open enrollment kids more than I do, you tell me if there are more.

I defined recruiting in an earlier post. Go back and read it.
there just seems to be some kids that live outside the district ,that goes to school at the fort.