Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins the GCC?
Brunswick 0 0%
Elyria 0 0%
Euclid 0 0%
Medina 1 4.76%
Mentor 10 47.62%
Shaker 0 0%
Solon 10 47.62%
Strongsville 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Greater Cleveland Conference 2017

Any thoughts on the league this year? Solon finished undefeated in the league last year. Mentor, Medina, and Euclid had a three-way tie for 2nd place. Shaker had three wins in the league, their most conference wins since 2013. Brunswick, Strongsville, and Elyria brought up the rear with one GCC win a piece. Coincidentally, all three will have a new coach this year.

I believe the league will come down to Solon, Mentor, and Euclid again. Medina had a really nice season last year, but it was built on a strong senior class that is now graduated. More often than not, it seems that Medina will struggle to compete at the top of the GCC. Will there be some early success with first-year coaches at Strongsville, Brunswick, or Elyria?

The GCC had the Northeast Lakes District POY on offense (Euclid QB Noah Mitchell) and defense (Solon LB Matt Brown) last year. Both were seniors. The two biggest returning names for the league this year are Mentor QB Tadas Tatarunas and Solon RB Thomas Wilks.

Predictions on winner of the league and/or the records?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Medina also has a new coach. Dan Sutherland stepped down and Larry Laird is taking over.

He was the coach at Medina in 2010 when they made the playoffs and beat McKinley on the road in the first round.

They did graduate quite a bit, that is true.
Old 08-05-17, 04:33 PM
All District

Mike Gully is on a distinguished road
Anyone have scrimmage dates and locations for GCC. Schools?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-17, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gully View Post

I know Elyria is scrimmaging next Saturday morning at Avon.

Not sure what to expect under Coach Arno this year, but congrats on getting the new stadium off the wish list and into reality.
Old 08-05-17, 06:08 PM
Freshman

mgoul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Here is a compilation of scrimmages by date with host and time.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ootball-teams/
Old 08-05-17, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I think that Mentor and Solon will be at the top of the league again. The Comets aren't going to miss a step this year, and should return to the playoffs.

Mentor returns a lot of their key starters, and Tadas Tatarunas will be in his third year as a starting quarterback. They will return to the top of the pack in the Greater Cleveland Conference.

Euclid is a question mark. But knowing how Jeff Rotsky operates, he will have the Panthers at least in contention for a playoff spot. But their non-conference schedule is very tough, featuring Glenville, Aurora, and St. Ignatius. The Panthers have to at least win one of those and do well in conference.

Medina's a question mark, but they should contend for a playoff berth as well.

Brunswick will be improved after going away from the run-first offense they had last season.

I think that Strongsville is going to struggle this year, as will Elyria, which also has a tough non-conference schedule.

Shaker Heights has actually lost quite a few players. I've seen their practices, and they do not have a strong defensive line at all, just a lot of skill players. They have Jamir Dismukes and Micah Hills returning, and both are a great one-two punch. Less than 50 players came out to football this season. Somehow, I see the Red Raiders possibly winning one, maybe two conference games.

Record predictions:

Mentor 9-1 (7-0)
Solon 9-1 (6-1)
Euclid 5-5 (5-2)
Medina 6-4 (3-4)
Brunswick 6-4 (3-4)
Elyria 2-8 (2-5)
Strongsville 2-8 (1-6)
Shaker Hts. 2-8 (0-7)

Last edited by Mr. Red Raider; 08-07-17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 01:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoul View Post
Here is a compilation of scrimmages by date with host and time.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ootball-teams/
Thanks. You guys are clutch af!

Old 08-07-17, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

Here is a preview of Elyria:

http://www.chroniclet.com/sports/201...at-Elyria.html
Old 08-12-17, 05:12 PM
All District

Avon won the scrimmage 8-12-17 against Elyria 27-16. Avon looks really good. And big. El yria offense look decent but no playmakers outside of the QB's. They look to be running a dual QB attack. Receivers and backs look below average. Defense kept getting beat with long balls. The 2 safeties played way too close and the corners got lost with the complex deep patterns.

Old 08-13-17, 12:28 PM
All Ohio

BwickBlueDevil is on a distinguished road
Brunswick preview: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/
Old 08-13-17, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
I'm excited about the league once again. Great all sports league. With Euclid upgrading their stadium and Elyria soon to follow , the 8 football stadiums will soon all be very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-17, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

I'm previewing all of Mentor's opponents. Here is Strongsville: http://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2...le-week-4.html
Old 08-15-17, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Allrighty then. Here are my 2017 picks. Call me crazy:

1. Solon - Yes, I picked the Comets because I'm a homer. Solon and Mentor are just about even, and either team could win the title. Comets are uber-strong at DL, DB, WR and RB, pretty good everywhere else (at least so far).

2. Mentor - Tadas Tatarunas scares me. I get the feeling he'll throw for about a jillion zillion yards this fall. Receivers and O-line are really good. Defense needs to improve and just might, thanks to a few standout individuals like DE Noah Potter and DB Logan Shea.

3. Euclid - Arquon Bush will run back beaucoup kicks and picks for TDs. Panthers are big and I hear the annual recruiting season went well.

4. Strongsville - Yes, crazy. But maybe not. Mustangs return just about everyone from a young team that took its lumps last year. But I was impressed by the number of talented sophs Strongsville had in its lineup. QB Jony Majors is about to blossom. Mustangs had really good sophs at RB, WR and on the D-line.

5. Medina - Bees graduated too many talented seniors to equal last year's success. But there's still enough left for a respectable season. WR/DB Dylan Fultz is a star and there's still lots of beef on the O-line.

6. Elyria - Pioneers are a tough team to forecast because of the coaching change. Elyria should have been better than it was last year. QB Dontae Beckett is one of the better players in the league, but last year's defense wasn't anywhere near good enough to contend. Will this year's be any better?

7. Shaker Heights - I was tempted to put Shaker higher but if Mr. Red Raider doesn't like the team's chances, who am I to argue? Raiders have a couple of tremendous players in QB Jamir Dismukes and WR Micah Hills. But the running game is nearly non-existent and the defense has some soft spots. Shaker also tends to play much better at home than on the road. But this year, the Raiders host Solon, Mentor and Medina. Ruh roh!!

8. Brunswick - The coaching change will probably help. Just not this year. The transition from an option offense to a spread will probably need a year or so before it's effective. Last year's Brunswick team didn't have many guys who stood out. I'm not sure this year will be any different.
Old 08-15-17, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

Any links on progress for the Elyria football stadium ?

When will it be ready ?

Hoping by 2019 so this can be our last year playing in that quasi dirt track with stands that scream lawsuit coming

Old 08-15-17, 07:17 PM
All Ohio

OmegaTheZip is on a distinguished road
Should be an interesting year in the GCC. Mentor will bounce back from a "down" year. I think it says a lot about the success and consistency of your program when 6-4 is a "down" year.

1. Euclid
2. Mentor
3. Solon
4. Strongsville
5. Elyria
6. Medina
7. Brunswick
8. Shaker Heights

First: I think this may be the year where Rotsky starts to take off. (obviously to have a let down in the playoffs per usual)
Old 08-15-17, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Good thoughts, Meta. Those predictions make sense. I agree that on paper it feels like a two-team race between Solon and Mentor and their Week 8 game almost certainly deciding the winner of the league. Give the Comets a slight edge with the game being at home.

Strongsville's junior class had a ton of success as freshman. Took their lumps as sophomores. Could make a stride as juniors. The other four teams in the league can't make strong arguments that they are in a better position. It's not a bad guess. I think Mentor/Euclid/Solon should go 15-0 against the other five teams just like last year.

After stellar basketball and baseball seasons earlier in the year, I don't expect the football to reach those kinds of heights. The equivalent to what basketball/baseball did would probably mean five playoff teams. Not going to happen.
Old 08-16-17, 01:04 PM
All District

Just add 2 more teams please! East side and west side.

Old 08-16-17, 01:11 PM
All District

The west side schools will struggle this year. I expect Elyria to round out the bottom with 1 to 3 wins. I will have my prediction after the scrimmage vs B-M.

Old 08-16-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just add 2 more teams please! East side and west side.

Why do people keep saying this ? 8 is the perfect number for a football league. Plus no other teams are good adds. Berea gets handled by fricken kenston in our scrimmages with them

Old 08-16-17, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Why do people keep saying this ? 8 is the perfect number for a football league. Plus no other teams are good adds. Berea gets handled by fricken kenston in our scrimmages with them

I agree, but I wish you guys would take Berea-Midpark and Lakewood. The two biggest schools in the SWC and neither can seem to win in football. Then the SWC would be at the perfect 8, instead of the current 10...two too many. Unfortunately, neither will leave.
Old 08-16-17, 04:57 PM
All Yappi

Yeah no thanks on either

Old 08-16-17, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

The league is fine the way it is. Not a super deep league for football, but the top team or two is going to be at least top four in the region.

Old 08-16-17, 07:08 PM
Freshman

SCOMETS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Allrighty then. Here are my 2017 picks. Call me crazy:

1. Solon - Yes, I picked the Comets because I'm a homer. Solon and Mentor are just about even, and either team could win the title. Comets are uber-strong at DL, DB, WR and RB, pretty good everywhere else (at least so far).

2. Mentor - Tadas Tatarunas scares me. I get the feeling he'll throw for about a jillion zillion yards this fall. Receivers and O-line are really good. Defense needs to improve and just might, thanks to a few standout individuals like DE Noah Potter and DB Logan Shea.

3. Euclid - Arquon Bush will run back beaucoup kicks and picks for TDs. Panthers are big and I hear the annual recruiting season went well.

4. Strongsville - Yes, crazy. But maybe not. Mustangs return just about everyone from a young team that took its lumps last year. But I was impressed by the number of talented sophs Strongsville had in its lineup. QB Jony Majors is about to blossom. Mustangs had really good sophs at RB, WR and on the D-line.

5. Medina - Bees graduated too many talented seniors to equal last year's success. But there's still enough left for a respectable season. WR/DB Dylan Fultz is a star and there's still lots of beef on the O-line.

6. Elyria - Pioneers are a tough team to forecast because of the coaching change. Elyria should have been better than it was last year. QB Dontae Beckett is one of the better players in the league, but last year's defense wasn't anywhere near good enough to contend. Will this year's be any better?

7. Shaker Heights - I was tempted to put Shaker higher but if Mr. Red Raider doesn't like the team's chances, who am I to argue? Raiders have a couple of tremendous players in QB Jamir Dismukes and WR Micah Hills. But the running game is nearly non-existent and the defense has some soft spots. Shaker also tends to play much better at home than on the road. But this year, the Raiders host Solon, Mentor and Medina. Ruh roh!!

8. Brunswick - The coaching change will probably help. Just not this year. The transition from an option offense to a spread will probably need a year or so before it's effective. Last year's Brunswick team didn't have many guys who stood out. I'm not sure this year will be any different.
In regards to #3. I spent most of the summer with coach. Never saw him recruit anyone. I did see him with his players volunteering in the community. I did see him do a ton of work with his foundation mentoring under privileged students. I did see him help his players find a place to further their education. I have seen, over a long course of time, a man so willing to give of himself while never asking for a thing in return. Check that, he does ask for them to give it all they've got. I did see him and his family sacrifice themselves for others who aren't so fortunate. With all due respect, what did you do this summer? How many lives did you touch? Sorry, simply tired of the awful humor.
Old 08-16-17, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Plus no other teams are good adds.
Nah, this is an overstatement, the GCC is far from perfect. Plenty of weak links in the league in football and across the board in sports, facilities, and demographics. As far as Division I schools, Berea, Cleveland Heights, and Lorain are at least as good overall as the weakest links in the league. However the bottom half of the league deserves what they get in driving all over Northeast Ohio to have no chance in making the playoffs. Some of these schools would be much more competitive if they were playing in more realistic neighborhood-based conferences.

I do agree with you on one thing though, 8 is a much more ideal number for a conference than 10.
Old 08-16-17, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

Moving on from the 8-10 talk because it isn't going to change despite some drumming it or other teams up

Is the Elyria stadium set to open in 2018 or 2019 for football ?

Old 08-16-17, 10:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Moving on from the 8-10 talk because it isn't going to change despite some drumming it or other teams up

Is the Elyria stadium set to open in 2018 or 2019 for football ?

2018 season. Next season.