Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-06-17, 11:35 AM
All Ohio

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Jackson Polar Bears 2017

Making the playoffs for the first time in over 10 years the Polar Bears return the best QB in the league along with a monster line that should average around 280 across the board.

The big question will be the skill positions where you lose one of the best athletes to come through the school (Dingler) and an all-Ohio player.

This team started off hot last year and tailed off towards the end which will have to be corrected if Jackson wants to get back into the playoffs.

Schedule
Aug 25th-Akron East H
September 1- Mayfield H
September 8-Boardman H
September 15-Perry H
September 22-Lake A
September 29-GlenOak A
October 6-McKinley H
October 13-CCC A
October 20-Green H
October 27-Hoover A
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-17, 12:39 PM
All World

ccrunner4815 is on a distinguished road
Forecasting the Bears to finish 6-4 for the season with their annual season ending loss to their Arch-Rival North Canton Hoover Vikings!
Old 07-06-17, 12:40 PM
Freshman

NortheastOhF is an unknown quantity at this point
Jackson football will always be irrelevant. Even if they are lucky enough to win games like last year they can not compete with the good D1 schools in the playoffs. The township is just simply too focused on the other successful sports teams they have.
Old 07-07-17, 05:35 PM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastOhF View Post
Jackson football will always be irrelevant. Even if they are lucky enough to win games like last year they can not compete with the good D1 schools in the playoffs. The township is just simply too focused on the other successful sports teams they have.
I'd say when balderson was the head coach I'd 100% agree with you, but I feel like Tim Budd is starting to turn and change that culture. Last year was a stepping stone for Jackson. I'm real interested to see how they compete this year I know they have a stud at QB.
Old 07-07-17, 06:36 PM
All Ohio

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
This thread is off to a good start.

Jackson isn't getting a lot of attention this year, which I find a little odd. A very big, experienced line and a QB committed to UMass automatically puts them in contention. The Bears are going to be perhaps more physical than any team in the Fed save McKinley. An already good defense is likely to be further improved, echoing the old 90s-era Jackson teams.

It all comes down to what Hayden said... will the skill players be there? Replacing Dingler and the rest of the WR corps is a massive question mark. Jackson was also exposed at the end of the year as having a one-man rushing threat. Pallotta is not very mobile, or at least hasn't been used that way, so teams would key in on RB Dear and get the Bears off-balance, force a lot of interceptions out of the QB, etc.

If most of the above negatives don't pan out, I think this is an 8-2 type team and gunning for a league title and another playoff berth. But if it's Pallotta and no backup, then 5-5 or 6-4.
Old 07-10-17, 09:00 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Any chance the Polar Bears can win their 3rd state championship in 2017 in the major sports? (basketball in March, baseball in June, football in December????)
Old 07-15-17, 11:19 AM
All Ohio

From the Suburbanite: Apparently there's a new offensive system being implemented, but details were pretty scarce. No more running the QB to the sideline for each play. Budd also seems to feel the Bears didn't run enough plays compared to their opponents last year.
Old 08-04-17, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Jackson will be running a spread option this year. We'll see how Pallotta looks as a runner. Scrimmage against Mentor is on the 11th.
Old 08-05-17, 06:24 AM
All Region

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Any chance the Polar Bears can win their 3rd state championship in 2017 in the major sports? (basketball in March, baseball in June, football in December????)
Absolutely zero chance.
Old 08-05-17, 12:25 PM
Freshman

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
Is Craig McConnell still coaching there?
Old 08-05-17, 01:16 PM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout99 View Post
No, he's moved on to a smaller school.
Old 08-05-17, 02:10 PM
All Region

mtigers96 is on a distinguished road
How did Jackson fans like McConnells Defence??
Old 08-05-17, 02:25 PM
Varsity

Money Ball is on a distinguished road
I didn't like his "defence", but I think they could have a pretty solid DEFENSE this year...
Old 08-05-17, 05:13 PM
All Region

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
No, he's moved on to a smaller school.
Hahahaha
Old 08-06-17, 07:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Absolutely zero chance.
Call me crazy (and many of you likely will), but I think among Stark County publics, who are without a title since 1998, Jackson is the most likely to win the next one. Demographics may just be destiny, and eventually they will start having a couple years like Pickerington North/Central or Hilliard Davidson. It will drive everyone in Stark County mad. Maybe this year? I'd take them at 100-to-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtigers96 View Post
How did Jackson fans like McConnells Defence??
He did a good job fixing it after the lackadaisical Balderson years. It was susceptible to mobile quarterbacks (noticed as early as the Boardman and Lake games last year) but whether that was a function of personnel or strategy, I couldn't tell you.
Old 08-06-17, 08:33 AM
Freshman

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
So what school did he go to?
Old 08-06-17, 11:53 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout99 View Post

Shot in the dark here....but is that the Craig McConnell from Louisville, Ohio?
Old 08-07-17, 02:19 AM
All Region

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Valley FB View Post
Shot in the dark here....but is that the Craig McConnell from Louisville, Ohio?
No he is from Massillon. He is now the D coordinator at Massillon. Hence he took a job at a smaller school.
Old 08-07-17, 04:34 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
How about Hoover/Jackson winner gets The Federal League Title (or at least a share of it). I know not likely but I'd be up for it.
Old 08-07-17, 05:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
How about Hoover/Jackson winner gets The Federal League Title (or at least a share of it). I know not likely but I'd be up for it.
It has been a long time. Hoover is on their longest FLC drought in school history, and Jackson is getting close to theirs. The 2010s have not been kind. That being said, I'm not convinced the rest of the Fed is that far ahead of them this year. Lake people seem pessimistic, Green lost the engine of their team, GlenOak is always tough but lost a lot of seniors, and Perry will be extremely hard to run against but Jax/NCH won't be attempting that kind of game anyway. I still think the Fed is going to run through McKinley, so both teams should be circling that date.

Both Jackson and Hoover should be able to put up a lot of points in a hurry with good QBs under center. Jackson's problems as of late have been an inability to win the big game (seriously, at this point they're running out of new ways to lose a heartbreaker to McKinley) and self-inflicted mistakes. With Hoover it is always a porous rushing defense and being a little bit undersized. Hoover's issues seem more difficult to fix but they did seem on the upswing in the second half of the season last year -- in year #3 it's kind of a "now or never" moment for Coach Baum I would think.

Week 10 might not be a battle for the Fed but I feel like both teams have a good chance of making week 11.
Old 08-07-17, 09:45 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Attack View Post
No he is from Massillon. He is now the D coordinator at Massillon. Hence he took a job at a smaller school.

Ok, thanks for the info!
Old 08-07-17, 10:16 PM
All Region

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Call me crazy (and many of you likely will), but I think among Stark County publics, who are without a title since 1998, Jackson is the most likely to win the next one. Demographics may just be destiny, and eventually they will start having a couple years like Pickerington North/Central or Hilliard Davidson. It will drive everyone in Stark County mad.
Your thinking is actually more analytical than it is crazy. The numbers plus the attraction of Jackson's recent athletic successes are a huge draw for gifted kids and ambitious parents. Stark's most successful public team (Perry) seems to have been on quite a run of gifted players. That well may be a little dry. Why not Jax next?

For sake of conversation, the chance to play in an elite stadium and all that will eventually surround the McK campus is also a great draw to starry eyed kids. One would think that the vocational opportunities that will soon surround the school would boost attendance in work/tech programs at the school. For kids that may not be a good fit for the academic demands at JHS, going to the bright lights at McK may be a nice alternative.
Old 08-07-17, 11:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Your thinking is actually more analytical than it is crazy. The numbers plus the attraction of Jackson's recent athletic successes are a huge draw for gifted kids and ambitious parents. Stark's most successful public team (Perry) seems to have been on quite a run of gifted players. That well may be a little dry. Why not Jax next?

For sake of conversation, the chance to play in an elite stadium and all that will eventually surround the McK campus is also a great draw to starry eyed kids. One would think that the vocational opportunities that will soon surround the school would boost attendance in work/tech programs at the school. For kids that may not be a good fit for the academic demands at JHS, going to the bright lights at McK may be a nice alternative.
I think Perry would be in striking distance of getting the next one if they had ended up on the D2 side of the D2/D1 cutoff. But it wasn't to be. I guess for them it depends on how long Wakefield will be there (new coaches love to ruin a good thing) and like you say, how long the talent run goes.

I hadn't thought about Benson Stadium and the coming Village -- you're right. The Timken consolidation is going to keep the enrollment numbers at McKinley high for a bit as well. I was one of the most skeptical people about tearing down Fawcett, still am a little bit, but the new place is beautiful.

As far as Jackson... I think the positive attention from the multiple basketball and baseball championships lately can't be underestimated. In the 2010 game against Moeller, the OHSAA/TV announcers couldn't even differentiate the school from Massillon. I'm sure plenty of Moeller fans couldn't either. They were an unknown; they had just never been on a big stage like Perry had with Wrestling, Hoover with softball, Mass/McK with football, etc. That won't happen anymore. It stops the bleeding of athletic transfers who wanted to go to a place where they would be noticed. It's an impetus for the football team to aim higher. We'll see. There probably won't be a state title anytime soon, but I feel like the long stretch of mediocrity is over.
Old 08-07-17, 11:37 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
the year is 2017 and scouts look in person, at film , height ,weight and speed etc. The stadium makes no difference.
Old 08-12-17, 03:50 AM
All Ohio

Scrimmage did not go well. Anyone go?
Old 08-12-17, 06:36 AM
All District

jtigerjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Scrimmage did not go well. Anyone go?
No, band was practicing.
Old 08-12-17, 06:37 AM
All Ohio

From what I could glean from the Mentor team twitter, Jackson's defense really did not look good. During the couple of 10-play series each time ran before the simulated quarter, Jackson got in the endzone with a Pallotta passing TD on one, stalled out on the other. Mentor punched it in both times, once in the air and once on the ground. Hopefully not a preview of what is to come. What was expected to be a strength is suddenly looking like a huge question mark. Jackson is not built to play in shootouts like they were in the Balderson years.

The only positive you could really point to would be that the Bears at least started off facing the best they'll see this year.
Old 08-12-17, 02:53 PM
Freshman

OldSchoolFootballer is on a distinguished road
Mentor Jackson Scrimmage.. Jackson has a lot of work to do. While the QB may have committed to UMass, without the kid (Dinlger) that made him look good last year, he looks average at best. The QB for the Jackson's JV team last year that had an arm and a running game- where did he go and why isn't he the backup QB? I understand Jackson's attempt this year is more of a "running game" that they want to implement. With Pallotta's "Negative rushing yardage" as a QB last year, we'll have to see how well that goes. Mentor could have ran 80 plays on Jackson. Jackson looked no where near ready and a little chaotic. Might be a long season for Coach Budd and his team.
Old 08-12-17, 04:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFootballer View Post
I understand Jackson's attempt this year is more of a "running game" that they want to implement. With Pallotta's "Negative rushing yardage" as a QB last year, we'll have to see how well that goes.
My initial impression when I first heard that Pallotta was going to be running a lot in a spread option was that they just didn't have any running backs. Dear accounted for virtually all of the yardage on the ground last year. But still... I know it's Mentor and I know it's just a scrimmage but with the returning starters on the line you would think you could open up some room even for a mediocre back if you just stick with what you've been doing. That's why Mentor is perennially good. Same with a place like Perry under Wakefield.

Gonna be a shame if the season doesn't turn out well, as Jackson has some talent and more than a few bruisers.
Old 08-12-17, 05:00 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Hmm, could be a 2015-like season, especially early on when Jackson couldn't run. But I'm surprised. Budd seemed to place an emphasis on developing better O-line play and consequentially an improved run game. But I still expect a lot, Mentor is a tough first foe. Best time to see weaknesses in scrimmages, though.