Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-21-17, 08:36 PM
Freshman

PG 17 is on a distinguished road
Boardman. QB transfer

He's never going to get a chance.
Figure Boardman should be ready for a switch by the 3rd game with the QB. Fans will get tired of bad passes and even worse decisions under pressure. Coache won't Replace him because they are afraid....
Old 07-21-17, 08:42 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
LOL. I highly doubt he came here to play QB. And O'Horo is a good player. What 10th grader doesn't struggle against the kind of schedule Boardman had, especially when the offensive line was about as poor as the play calling?
Old 07-21-17, 08:43 PM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
No one time transfer exemption exist...once you establish eligibility in one place, which this young man did, the only way not to sit 5 games is to meet one of the actual exemptions the ohsaa lists. If he was already living in Boardman then he sits.
Old 07-21-17, 09:15 PM
All World

Then how was O'Horo able to play right away? He always had residency in Boardman...If anything based off his 7th and 8th grade his school would have been Mooney before he went to CVCA...
Old 07-21-17, 09:18 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
LOL. I highly doubt he came here to play QB. And O'Horo is a good player. What 10th grader doesn't struggle against the kind of schedule Boardman had, especially when the offensive line was about as poor as the play calling?
Who is responsible for the bad offensive line and bad play calls. The coaches.... However, nobody in Boardman has the guts to say anything about it. I feel sorry for all the players. They're. Getting cheated..
Old 07-21-17, 09:20 PM
Freshman

Boardmans QB is good...You must be a relative
Old 07-21-17, 09:22 PM
All World

4 years is a reasonable time frame. If things don't turn around this year then a change would hopefully be considered.

In retrospect, it's amazing how fast the board got rid of Garry Smith. He didn't have a single losing season until he went 1-9 in 2003 and was promptly shown the door.
Old 07-21-17, 09:30 PM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Has polands QB taken a big step back since his freshmen season? Or does he just not have any playmakers on the outside?
Old 07-21-17, 09:32 PM
All World

I thought that post was a joke about Poland looking terrible. I think Brungard being gone has a lot to do with it regardless.
Old 07-21-17, 09:37 PM
Freshman

How true about Gary Smith..in Boardman it doesn't. Matter if you. Coach.. All depends if the administration likes you and can control you..Boardman has turned into scary place to play sports...
Old 07-21-17, 09:54 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I thought that post was a joke about Poland looking terrible. I think Brungard being gone has a lot to do with it regardless.
No one from Poland will ever face the truth and say their team is bad or not. Guy was a tool about the question because.... well he's from Poland. Either way it doesn't matter much. 7 on 7's aren't really that telling.
Old 07-21-17, 10:10 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG 17 View Post
How true about Gary Smith..in Boardman it doesn't. Matter if you. Coach.. All depends if the administration likes you and can control you..Boardman has turned into scary place to play sports...

Lol. Keep the laughs coming.
Old 07-22-17, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Then how was O'Horo able to play right away? He always had residency in Boardman...If anything based off his 7th and 8th grade his school would have been Mooney before he went to CVCA...
If he played someone else in high school and then played right away in Boardman then he had to qualify for an actual exemption. There is no one time transfer exemption to your home district.. Its a myth.
Old 07-22-17, 08:49 AM
All District

Struthers wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
If he played someone else in high school and then played right away in Boardman then he had to qualify for an actual exemption. There is no one time transfer exemption to your home district.. Its a myth.
Someone told me the O'Hara kid mom lives in boardman and the dad lived in the other school district and that how he was able to come back to boardman and not have to sit out. Not sure if this is true but it what I heard.
Old 07-22-17, 09:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthers wildcat View Post
Someone told me the O'Hara kid mom lives in boardman and the dad lived in the other school district and that how he was able to come back to boardman and not have to sit out. Not sure if this is true but it what I heard.
That may be true.
Old 07-22-17, 09:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthers wildcat View Post
Not true lol.

http://www.ohsaa.org/portals/0/eligi...4-7-2_exc9.pdf

The one time transfer rule does exist, and it actually doesn't apply if there were a split parent situation with one being in one school district and moving to the other. As long as they moved into the house one calendar year before said date, he would be instantly eligible at Boardman.
Old 07-22-17, 10:21 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Lol. Keep the laughs coming.
Your either on the inside or you have no idea what you talking about...
Old 07-22-17, 08:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not true lol.

http://www.ohsaa.org/portals/0/eligi...4-7-2_exc9.pdf

The one time transfer rule does exist, and it actually doesn't apply if there were a split parent situation with one being in one school district and moving to the other. As long as they moved into the house one calendar year before said date, he would be instantly eligible at Boardman.
It does not exist. There are several ways to "cook the books" but you cannot transfer to your home district from a private school once you have established eligibility in another school district without sitting games. There are several ways that it could of worked, which are too long to type but I will provide the link.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Eligibility/Transfer

The OHSAA outlines 11 exemptions for transfers so that they don't have to sit 50% of games. There is absolutely positively no exemption for transferring to your home district from a private school or open enrollment school and avoiding have to sit 50% of games. You may be thinking about pre 2013 because there used to be a one time exemption to transfer back but that hasn't existed for years. There are dozens of UHS and CMHS students who find this out every year because they think it is true as well. This very topic is covered in their frequently asked questions which shows it isn't true and that a lot of people may think it does exist.
Old 07-22-17, 09:00 PM
All World

Ok, my only question then is how was O'Horo able to play right away if the one-time transfer rule didn't exist? If you were living in the same school district at the same house how are you not able to use the 1 time transfer rule (exception 9)? Valley Christian school is in the YCSD, not in the Boardman LSD. It looks like that if Valley Christian were the next property parcel down and in Boardman, then he would be unable to transfer w/o penalty.
Old 07-23-17, 01:22 PM
All World

SteelValley
Hate to talk negatively about a guy that has passed on (Garry Smith), but he was not cut out to be a head coach. Great guy, decent coach, just not a head coach.

Also, you have to remember that he was the administration's 3rd choice. I believe Roger Patterson (the DC) was the first choice, but he wasn't interested in the head job. Then they offered to Jack Hay and he accepted, but then changed his mind within a week or 2. They finally settled on Smith. In reality, at that point, they should've taken the job outside the district, but Boardman football program had been pretty strong and I think the overall consensus was keep it rolling with an in-house hire.

Smith was also the beneficiary of an unbelievable run of talent in the late 90's and early 00's. Once that somewhat dried up, the program went downhill. During the Smith-era there was absolutely no weight lifting/offseason conditioning program - which is unheard of for a D1 program. This was a complete reversal from the prior head coach, Dan Pallante. Also, the coaching/feedback at practice was nearly non-existent while he was the head coach. The assistants basically ran the show.

His hiring was a mistake and I think people knew that even while the teams were doing pretty well. In some ways, the downward trend the program had in his last year and the following few years probably had a lot to do with the lack of an organized program the previous 5-6 years. Those kids who were in middle school when he started never really went through much of a true lifting/training program.
Old 07-23-17, 01:33 PM
All World

Agree with you 100% about Smith. I was just pointing out about how quickly the board/admin then moved on him when things went south. But it was known headed into 2003 that the talent had dried up and the year would be awful. You also have to argue that the assistants that Smith had at the time were at quite a high level. The assistants included Patterson, Ron Stoops, Tom Phillips, etc. Quite the staff.

It would have been fun watching Hay probably wax poetic about Shakespeare down on the field pregame w/Chuck Kyle, however, lol...

The thing is, if Ignazio doesn't improve, you almost HAVE to go outside the box. There quite simply isn't really anyone left with the appropriate experience in house.
Old 07-23-17, 03:42 PM
All American

Ignazio better find a new play caller. At one point last year he was calling the plays, no ? The offense needs to change.
Old 07-23-17, 11:03 PM
Freshman

Play calling

Coach ignazio has triveri coming up thru coaching his kid every year. maybe, he can take over calling plays. At least, Jason knows what he's doing. It's. Going to be a long year with o'horo as your Quarterback.
Old 07-24-17, 12:17 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I didn't think the young kid last year was too bad at QB. Why change it tho, it's not like they went 0-10, replacing the rb's is the real
Question
Old 07-24-17, 07:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG 17 View Post
Coach ignazio has triveri coming up thru coaching his kid every year. maybe, he can take over calling plays. At least, Jason knows what he's doing. It's. Going to be a long year with o'horo as your Quarterback.

O'Horo wasn't that bad last year, just stop. Especially for a sophomore. You sound like a disgruntled parents who's kid got playing time taken away.
Old 07-24-17, 09:03 AM
All World

SteelValley
Agreed on O'Horo - I thought he played pretty well and definitely showed signs (especially for a soph) of being a good one. He has a good arm, runs well, and is not afraid to take a hit. He also seems to have that sense of when to run or not and where the 1st down marker is when he takes off.

I think not having Koontz may actually be a good thing, as he locked in on him too much when there were other guys open. Understandable when you have a big target like that, but hopefully he'll develop more this year on spreading it around.

PG17 does pretty much sound like a disgruntled parent. I don't know too many people who thought O'Horo was terrible. We haven't had a kid actually capable of throwing the ball well like O'Horo since probably Pollifrone.
Old 07-24-17, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Agreed on O'Horo - I thought he played pretty well and definitely showed signs (especially for a soph) of being a good one. He has a good arm, runs well, and is not afraid to take a hit. He also seems to have that sense of when to run or not and where the 1st down marker is when he takes off.

I think not having Koontz may actually be a good thing, as he locked in on him too much when there were other guys open. Understandable when you have a big target like that, but hopefully he'll develop more this year on spreading it around.

PG17 does pretty much sound like a disgruntled parent. I don't know too many people who thought O'Horo was terrible. We haven't had a kid actually capable of throwing the ball well like O'Horo since probably Pollifrone.
Can't blame the QB when all he's asked to do is hand the ball off and throw jump balls to only one receiver

He'll be fine
Old 07-24-17, 09:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Can't blame the QB when all he's asked to do is hand the ball off and throw jump balls to only one receiver

He'll be fine
Agree with you and SV. This all goes back to coaching and play calling. They better find different ways to generate offense as there's no more 6-5 WR to throw to.
Old 07-25-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

ReasonableSpartan is on a distinguished road
I see Boardman going 6-4. Seen too many teams recently either start strong and blow it in the end or start horrible and finish out strong.

I heard Ogilvie is back in the area? If Ignasio has a bad year would be interested to see if he comes back. If not Ogilvie would be a good pick up for East/Chaney in my opinion.
Old 07-25-17, 08:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableSpartan View Post
I see Boardman going 6-4. Seen too many teams recently either start strong and blow it in the end or start horrible and finish out strong.

I heard Ogilvie is back in the area? If Ignasio has a bad year would be interested to see if he comes back. If not Ogilvie would be a good pick up for East/Chaney in my opinion.

Ogilvie is the AD at United. Can't see him coming back here (unless he wanted to be AD here of course someday). Gorski probably won't be around that much longer...