Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-17, 08:35 PM
Varsity

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Midwest Athletic Conference 2017

With baseball season winding down, I figured I'd get this started since I haven't seen it made yet.
*Disclaimer: Some were decided by coin flip

Coldwater- Return skill position players, Sam Broering will be a good one to watch. Defense needs improvement from last year. Might be slightly biased.

Marion Local- Tim Goodwin

Minster- Return plenty of seniors, possible dark horse.

Fort Recovery- Return arguably the best back in the league, whos at Qb?

Versailles- Not sure offhand what they return

Delphos St Johns- Lost the running back and Qb I believe

St Henry – Lost seniors and I believe Daylon Lange to concussions?

Anna- Waiting on them to return to form. Anna is another question mark for me cause idk much about them. I could be really wrong putting them so low but we shall see.

New Bremen – Numbers I think are up, I think they will beat Bradford, MV, and Parkway. Might catch someone on an off night

Parkway- lost a good chunk of seniors, 0-10, they need help in the worst way...
Thoughts?

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 05-23-17 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 12:14 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
With baseball season winding down, I figured I'd get this started since I haven't seen it made yet.

Coldwater- Return skill position players, Sam Broering will be a good one to watch. Defense needs improvement from last year. Might be slightly biased.

St Henry – Lost seniors and I believe Daylon Lange to concussions?

Anna- Waiting on them to return to form. Anna is another question mark for me cause idk much about them. I could be really wrong putting them so low but we shall see.

New Bremen – Numbers I think are up, I think they will beat Bradford, MV, and Parkway. Might catch someone on an off night

Thoughts?
MSML
Minster
CW
FR
THe Rest......

The Flyers will keep on rolling I believe. That region will be loaded.

I look for CW to take another step back. I don't see a solution at QB at this point and losing some very good talent from this last year's squad will hurt them.

The Kenton game in week 1 will be monumental as I see a L in week 2 vs Clinton Massie.

Ft Rec.....great back no doubt about that and I project there will be games he has just techmo-bowl like numbers and then a few games he just gets absolutely stuffed because of the lack of a passing game. Again, their over-reaching in scheduling VV will keep them out of the playoffs this year.

Is this the year Anna finally doesn't disappoint?

St Henry---Still up in the air if they can return to being yearly contenders. The rest of the league.....nothing much to write home about.
Old 05-24-17, 08:43 AM
All District

a_td is on a distinguished road
Expectations will be high from the Anna community for this season. A talented Senior class including last seasons conference rushing leader returning. Sounds like the "D" is changing to a 4-3. Not sure about the "O". Numbers are declining though.
Old 05-24-17, 11:22 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
1. Marion Local
2. Fort Recovery
3. Minster
4. Coldwater
5. Anna

Overall I think the league is stronger than last season. Marion Local's junior class is loaded esp. if QB stays healthy. Coldwater won several games last year by a td or less and is less talented this year,only reason I think they finish in the top 5 is because of Otten.
Old 05-24-17, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post

St Henry Lost seniors and I believe Daylon Lange to concussions?

New Bremen Numbers I think are up, I think they will beat Bradford, MV, and Parkway. Might catch someone on an off night

Parkway- lost a good chunk of seniors, 0-10, they need help in the worst way...
Thoughts?
Welcome to Tapping! I look forward to seeing your thoughts this season.
I think Coldwater will be very good this year. They return a large number of experienced players. Coach Often will definitely have them ready this year.
Marion Local is probably the favorite this year. The Flyers just keep reloading every year.

After those two every one else is fighting for 3rd place and a playoff spot. As an obvious Homer, I think FR goes 8-2 with two Freshman starters and earn a home playoff game against Mechanicsburg.... seriously to early of a prediction but what else are we going to debate for 3 months?
Old 05-24-17, 04:17 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I think Coldwater will be very good this year. They return a large number of experienced players. Coach Often will definitely have them ready this year.
Marion Local is probably the favorite this year. The Flyers just keep reloading every year.

After those two every one else is fighting for 3rd place and a playoff spot. As an obvious Homer, I think FR goes 8-2 with two Freshman starters and earn a home playoff game against Mechanicsburg.... seriously to early of a prediction but what else are we going to debate for 3 months?
Thank you! Coldwater returns every skill player aside from Dylan Thobe, Zach Klosterman, and Neil Muhlenkamp. Sam Broering, who won the Maria Stein QB challenge last year, will be under center and I don't think we'll miss a beat. We return both Brad Giere and Seth Obringer in the backfield. Receiving returns Jacob Hartings and Jack Muhlenkamp (Grant's brother). Potential receivers are probably Jacob Wenning, Payton Goodwin, and maybe Paul Buschur (there's a few to choose from). Offensive line returns BIG guards in Thomas Schweiterman and Cody Hart as well as Derek Albers (Don't know if he'll play center or tackle) We'll figure out who else steps up during camp.

Now to the part that worries me.
It seemed last year that running backs got the corner on our defense way too much or we'd get teams in 3rd and long then give up a 20 yard pass for a first down (story of the Minster game).
We return Jacob Hartings at corner. Middle Linebackers I think will be Mitch Niekamp and Caleb Dippold and I think they'll be fine. One outside LB needs replaced I think and Brad Giere (returning) and Seth Obringer could fill those holes. Neil is going to be hard to replace at safety. Whoever the fastest skill player is might fill that gap. Defensive line will have Creighton Bettinger at end and maybe Derek Albers. Defensive tackle wise could be anyone's guess. During the scrimmages last year, I though Matt Kunk had a little potential but he might play linebacker. Any of the huge guards probably could play there but idt I would want them going both ways. Talking to Coach Otten before the Fort Recovery basketball game, he thought Sam Hardin could be a contributer.

--Bottom Line--
We wont know anything till the pads come on.

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 05-25-17 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
Well this is probably my last year to cheer for ML. My youngest son in NC (my oldest son is the dad of my ML player, now in college) actually bought the house next to his (near Charlotte) with cash, and gave it to us as a gift. Its kinda hard to turn down a free house...even though we are retired, we still have a mortgage here. Also that means we'll be next door to grandkids, which is even BETTER than a free house! We're looking at next spring to move. I was so sad we won't have a cool football team to cheer on...sigh...UNTIL that is, I found out the local team is 6A, equal to D1 here, AND they regularly win state, like ML!!! This is Lincolnton HS in Lincolnton NC. Hooray!! P.S. It's 2 miles from our house...

So I would love to see my beloved Flyers knock one out of the park again this year...that would be nice. All the reports I've seen and heard are good, but of course we don't know that until we see them on-field, like the man said. It will be bittersweet to leave this team, and I'll hate not being on this chat board too. It's lots of fun. GO FLYERS!!
Old 05-24-17, 10:00 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_td View Post
Expectations will be high from the Anna community for this season. A talented Senior class including last seasons conference rushing leader returning. Sounds like the "D" is changing to a 4-3. Not sure about the "O". Numbers are declining though.
I know u have a couple of nice classes coming up, the sophomore class is one of them.....where are the numbers going? heck I think Anna has the most boys in the MAC attending school right now.....
Old 05-24-17, 10:12 PM
Junior Varsity

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
Heck Anna could make the playoffs at 5-5 in D5 while ML Coldwater or Minster could go 8-2 and miss.
Old 05-25-17, 01:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Have to love that optimism but they must be selling a lot of those purple colored glasses over there. They did go 8-2....once. With that great QB and not having Coldwater on the schedule and you expect 8-2 with CW and VV on the tilt and not having their D1 talent at QB?

Hope they do but I wouldn't place money on that!

Attended a number of JV Coldwater games and the QB play was very...um, unColdwater-like if I had to describe it.

Maybe with a full slate of 7 on 7s, full time reps on the varsity the position will get shored up but I don't see that position in 2017 coming close to the talent that was there in 2016.

but I could be wrong, and I hope I am.
Old 05-25-17, 06:24 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
Heck Anna could make the playoffs at 5-5 in D5 while ML Coldwater or Minster could go 8-2 and miss.
Minster goes 8-2, they will be in the playoffs.....not sure about your logic Anna going 5-5 and making the playoffs
Old 05-25-17, 09:09 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The D6 teams are going to have a fight for the limited playoff berths. Marion Local, Coldwater, Fort Recovery and St. Henry can not all get in. Even three might be tough.

In D7, Minster is in if they go 6-4 (maybe even 5-5). Probably the same for DSJ.
Old 05-25-17, 11:23 AM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
DVI is truly loaded with many great teams. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out--it's gonna be an exciting year!
Old 05-25-17, 12:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
Minster goes 8-2, they will be in the playoffs.....not sure about your logic Anna going 5-5 and making the playoffs
D5 is weak and a 5-5 team can make it where in D6 a 8-2 team will be sitting out of the playoff picture.
Old 05-25-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
I could see a 5-5 Anna team winning a few games in the playoffs, but they'd never get in. 5 wins in the MAC prepares you, just doesn't give you enough points.

Anna was 5-5 last year and finished 13th.
Brookville made it in at 5-5, but they beat a d3 and a d4. Those size schools aren't on Anna's schedule. Versailles also missed at 5-5.

Many of the teams Anna plays are better but worth fewer points.
Old 05-25-17, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
I could see a 5-5 Anna team winning a few games in the playoffs, but they'd never get in. 5 wins in the MAC prepares you, just doesn't give you enough points.

Anna was 5-5 last year and finished 13th.
Brookville made it in at 5-5, but they beat a d3 and a d4. Those size schools aren't on Anna's schedule. Versailles also missed at 5-5.

Many of the teams Anna plays are better but worth fewer points.
Uh 5 and 5 MAC teams will not get in.
Old 05-25-17, 03:35 PM
All American

Quote:
D5 is weak and a 5-5 team can make it where in D6 a 8-2 team will be sitting out of the playoff picture.
Minster is Div 7 and I think that a 8-2 team has a great shot at getting in, but yes it depends who they beat in those 8 wins.....
Old 05-25-17, 06:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh 5 and 5 MAC teams will not get in.
Look at Brookville last year.
Old 05-25-17, 06:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Look at Brookville last year.
u might be right, but they have to have some big wins to make it.....Brookville had wins over a Div 3 , Div 4, and Div 5 schools last year....
Old 05-26-17, 01:15 AM
All Yappi

Possible to go 5-5 and make it? Sure, if those wins come against some of the harbin cash cows and losses to the bad teams but I don't see them beating the likes of Maria Stein Marion Local and Cold Water and then losing to teams like New Breman and Rockford Parkway.
Old 05-26-17, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

Anna must win the first 3 games to get in... Arlington, Brookville and Versailles. A loss in the first 3 and they probably need 7 wins to get in.
Old 05-26-17, 06:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Have to love that optimism but they must be selling a lot of those purple colored glasses over there. They did go 8-2....once. With that great QB and not having Coldwater on the schedule and you expect 8-2 with CW and VV on the tilt and not having their D1 talent at QB?

Attended a number of JV Coldwater games and the QB play was very...um, unColdwater-like if I had to describe it.

Maybe with a full slate of 7 on 7s, full time reps on the varsity the position will get shored up but I don't see that position in 2017 coming close to the talent that was there in 2016.

I'm ok wearing my purple shaded glasses, I'm a Homer and proud of it.

Like I said in the past, FR has a program in place not just a couple of good classes.

This Senior class has the chance to play all four years of their HS careers in the playoffs. I think they will do it.
Old 05-26-17, 07:42 AM
All American

Quote:
I'm ok wearing my purple shaded glasses, I'm a Homer and proud of it.

Like I said in the past, FR has a program in place not just a couple of good classes.

This Senior class has the chance to play all four years of their HS careers in the playoffs. I think they will do it.
I know you have the Schmidt kid at QB as a freshman, who is the other player, what position...

are they going to keep Stocker in the D line or move him to LB?
Old 05-26-17, 08:32 AM
Junior Varsity

ru4ml is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
1. Marion Local
2. Fort Recovery
3. Minster
4. Coldwater
5. Anna

Overall I think the league is stronger than last season. Marion Local's junior class is loaded esp. if QB stays healthy. Coldwater won several games last year by a td or less and is less talented this year,only reason I think they finish in the top 5 is because of Otten.
Are you talking this years junior class or what will be next years junior class?
Old 05-26-17, 03:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4ml View Post
Are you talking this years junior class or what will be next years junior class?
Incoming junior class.
Old 05-27-17, 11:38 AM
Varsity

Quote:

Were you watching #5 (Alex May) or #8 (Sam Broering)? Sam will probably go to a few QB camps during the summer to help prepare him (He did throw more Ints than I would like). Here's hoping a year faster, stronger, and better. Alex needs seasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays wide receiver like Broering did a little last year. I think our strength is our running game.
Old 05-27-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Possible to go 5-5 and make it? Sure, if those wins come against some of the harbin cash cows and losses to the bad teams but I don't see them beating the likes of Maria Stein Marion Local and Cold Water and then losing to teams like New Breman and Rockford Parkway.
Uh, I repeat, 5 and 5 MAC teams will not get in.
Old 05-27-17, 06:06 PM
All American

Quote:
UH....Ok
Old 05-30-17, 10:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:

A 6-4 Minster team got the 3 seed in D7 last year so yes a 5-5 MAC team could get in and probably win state.
Old 05-31-17, 05:17 AM
All American

Quote:
In 2009 Marion Local was a 5 seed in D-6 region 24 with a 5-5 record.