Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-12-17, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't abandon all hope yet. Mentor can make a lot of teams look bad in an opening scrimmage. They've been pretty good at what they do for the past 10-15 years.
Old 08-12-17, 06:27 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1315...n-for-jackson/

Takeaways: poor blocking and tacking, only three days of contact instead of five before the scrimmage, didn't play fourth and fifth days due to long injury list.

On the upside, if you've got to fit players into positions you didn't expect to, the first four games are perfectly suited for it. East-Mayfield-Boardman-Perry, all at home. Increasing a little bit in difficulty each week.
Old 08-12-17, 06:42 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
http://fridaynightohio.com/news/1315...n-for-jackson/

Takeaways: poor blocking and tacking, only three days of contact instead of five before the scrimmage, didn't play fourth and fifth days due to long injury list.

On the upside, if you've got to fit players into positions you didn't expect to, the first four games are perfectly suited for it. East-Mayfield-Boardman-Perry, all at home. Increasing a little bit in difficulty each week.
East may be the best of those 4 this year.
Old 08-12-17, 08:25 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
East better than Perry? Wow.
Old 08-12-17, 09:01 PM
All American

East had a great showing last year, especially against Marlington/New Philly, but they had negative yardage against Jackson in the second half, and a mediocre Hoover team put 50 points on them.

That isn't to say they can't beat Jackson in 2017. I'll be holding my breath week 1. But I'm leaning away from them being better than Boardman or Perry. Maybe Mayfield if they have another down year.
Old 08-12-17, 09:30 PM
All World

Jackson03, scrimmages aren't the end all be all. Budd is a good coach, if anyone can get things straightened around, baring injuries, he can. I have a feeling unlike recent years this years Polar Bears may get better as the season moves on. Just so it's after week 4...lol.
Old 08-14-17, 02:40 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Pump your brakes, people. Jackson will be solid. Mentor is big, fast, has a QB that can wing it all over the place, has receivers that appeared to all be about 6'1" or 6'2" and can run crisp routes and catch the ball anywhere, plus they appear to have a few hard-nosed backs. Jackson's defense didn't look too good against them, but they will get better, an they probably won't face a team that goo the rest of the year.

Jackson moved the ball some on Mentor, too. Additionally, Jackson got a couple of receivers behind Mentor's d-backs and the passes were uncatchable. I think they have some things to fine-tune offensively, but they have some potential there.
Old 08-14-17, 05:06 PM
All American

Good info, thanks!
Old 08-15-17, 11:47 AM
All Region

mtigers96 is on a distinguished road
Who's the Sasquatch that plays for the bears 6'9 430
Old 08-15-17, 11:51 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtigers96 View Post
Who's the Sasquatch that plays for the bears 6'9 430
Does the Massillon Booster Club know about this kid?
Old 08-15-17, 08:36 PM
All World

Probably shouldn't say anything about Perry's frosh RB that ran an 11.0 100 meters.
Old 08-18-17, 08:28 AM
Freshman

OldSchoolFootballer is on a distinguished road
Changes in the Polar Bear Den

I hear a little chatter out of the Jackson locker room. Looks like it's going to be a really LONG season for the Polar Bears. With last years rumors swirling around about Coach Budd quitting, this year hands down he must just be on a personal mission to get fired. The changes we have heard he has instituted in his lineup are rather questionable-unless.... the parents of the boys in his starting lineup are backers/sideliners/mamabears... Oh, yeah that's probably it. Isn't that how Jackson rolls? Who ever's parents are all over the coach and volunteering for every board or joining whatever Christian Athlete Association plays? Everyone in Jackson knows the Pallotta Family runs the football program and the basketball program. Maybe it's more like who Mr. Pallotta likes this week! Heard Coach Budd has displaced some major talent.
Old 08-18-17, 01:47 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
This has to be a joke, right? Budd quitting last year of all times?
Old 08-18-17, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Here's a nice piece on QB Jaret Pallotta.

Old 08-18-17, 01:57 PM
All American

Well if they're running the basketball program, I certainly hope they're running the football program too. Sounds like they know their stuff.
Old 08-18-17, 01:58 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Well if they're running the basketball program, I certainly hope they're running the football program too. Sounds like they know their stuff.

Lol Agree!

Sounds like a typical Jackson parent account --venting
Old 08-18-17, 02:01 PM
All World

bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFootballer View Post
I hear a little chatter out of the Jackson locker room. Looks like it's going to be a really LONG season for the Polar Bears. With last years rumors swirling around about Coach Budd quitting, this year hands down he must just be on a personal mission to get fired. The changes we have heard he has instituted in his lineup are rather questionable-unless.... the parents of the boys in his starting lineup are backers/sideliners/mamabears... Oh, yeah that's probably it. Isn't that how Jackson rolls? Who ever's parents are all over the coach and volunteering for every board or joining whatever Christian Athlete Association plays? Everyone in Jackson knows the Pallotta Family runs the football program and the basketball program. Maybe it's more like who Mr. Pallotta likes this week! Heard Coach Budd has displaced some major talent.
Sounds like someone must be butt hurt that their son was replaced in the starting line up.
Old 08-18-17, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
The Pallottas were very involved in the baseball program too and Jake was a starter on the 2014 State Championship team. Are you going to say they were involved in the "ruination" of that program too? Remember, Jackson is the current State Champion in baseball.

You aren't going to find many (reasonable) people who have problems with the Pallottas.
Old 08-19-17, 02:57 PM
All Ohio

Purple Hayes
Jackson looked much better last night against Walsh Jesuit (granted, Walsh is not Mentor but usually decent). I wouldn't read too much into the Mentor scrimmage...lots of key kids didn't even dress. Still might be a year away, but if they recover from pre-season injuries they should be competitive.
Old 08-19-17, 04:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayes View Post
Jackson looked much better last night against Walsh Jesuit (granted, Walsh is not Mentor but usually decent). I wouldn't read too much into the Mentor scrimmage...lots of key kids didn't even dress. Still might be a year away, but if they recover from pre-season injuries they should be competitive.
Good to hear. Walsh is always solid. I keep forgetting that this team is junior-laden, but I do think they're gonna be alright.

Jackson should keep scheduling tough scrimmage opponents. Now it's time to get a Solon or a Central Ohio power or somebody on the regular season schedule. Bears need to have one game where they schedule up. Has always paid off for them in the past.
Old 08-25-17, 10:56 PM
All American

No thread for the game, so I'll post here...

Jackson 41 Akron East 34 FINAL

Some stats...

Jackson
QB Pallotta 15 of 21, 356 yards, 3TDs, 1 rushing TD
RB Childers 33 carries, 121 yards, 2TDs, 1 fumble
WR Beaulieu 5 catches, 137 yards, 1TD
WR O'Quinn 3 catches, 180 yards, 2TDs

East
QB Collins 6 of 9, 73 yards, 1TD, 2 INT
RB Floyd 15 carries, 97 yards, 1TD
RB Williams 5 carries, 87 yards
RB Collier, unknown stats (~100 yds), 2TDs
WR Hall 4 catches, 52 yards, 1TD

The positive: I think we can put to rest any idea that the offense can't perform without Dingler. Childers is a huge bright spot. The WR corps is varied. They're going to be balanced and should not have any problem putting up points. The kicking game is fine as well, just one missed PAT out of 6 tries. East is no joke.

The negative: the Bears just gave up 319 yards on the ground. On one hand, it's not unexpected to be torched by a Minnesota commit transferring in from Hoban. Akron East has 8 players committed to or with offers from DI colleges. On the other, they're going to have to tighten up as the season progresses with more big time running threats from basically everyone in the Federal League.
Old 08-26-17, 10:56 AM
All American

Hard to gauge after one game but it looks like Pallotta has taken another leap from last season. This East team has a lot of playmakers on defense and Pallotta absolutely torched them.

Like our wr corps who were able to get some separation from the db's (especially O'Quinn) which is a great sign before we get into fed play.

The rushing defense has me concerned especially when the pocket collapses. You get a mobile QB who can pass and run and this team could be in trouble. But I'm not going to knock them too hard as Floyd is probably the best back Jackson will see all year

Overall very impressed with the Bears performance. With the next 3 games at home I think it's realistic to get 2/3 before we reach the midpoint of to season. That would set the Bears in good position to make the playoffs again
Old 08-26-17, 12:13 PM
All World

Congrats to the Bears. I'm looking forward to our meeting in a few weeks.
First piece of business is Central, who will fight their behinds off not wanting to go 0-2.
Old 08-26-17, 04:43 PM
All American

Mobile QBs started burning Jackson at the end of last season. May be something that has to improve as the season goes on.

I think getting two of the next three is a reasonable goal. Mayfield beat Walsh 10-0 (Jackson was 21-7 against them in scrimmage). One game at a time.
Old 08-28-17, 08:16 AM
All District

Ohio Proud 64 is on a distinguished road
Don't get to excited just yet Polar Bear fans, you barely beat a Div III Akron City League team that made the playoffs last year for the first time in school history.

1. You barely beat an Akron City League team that dresses a total of 50 kids in the entire program and most play both sides of the ball.

2. Beat a an Akron City League team by the air that plays in a run dominated Akron City League.They don't see the pass much.

3. Gave up 319 rushing yards to a one dimensional offense run first offense that has no passing game.

4.Beat an an Akron City League team that imho had inferior coaching and no kicking game.

5. Home field advantage.

All of these advantages and you barely eek'd out a win.
Old 08-28-17, 11:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post
Don't get to excited just yet Polar Bear fans, you barely beat a Div III Akron City League team that made the playoffs last year for the first time in school history.

1. You barely beat an Akron City League team that dresses a total of 50 kids in the entire program and most play both sides of the ball.

2. Beat a an Akron City League team by the air that plays in a run dominated Akron City League.They don't see the pass much.

3. Gave up 319 rushing yards to a one dimensional offense run first offense that has no passing game.

4.Beat an an Akron City League team that imho had inferior coaching and no kicking game.

5. Home field advantage.

They have 4 D1 players. Most of what you mentioned was addressed above.

To say after reading that grammatical atrocity and finding out your favorite school is Canton McKinley was a surprise to me would be understatement of the year good sir.
Old 08-28-17, 05:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post

5. Home field advantage.

The same troll out bashing GlenOak because they're McKinley's equal now.

No one is getting "excited". Everyone in here is being pretty open about the fact that Jackson is a very flawed team right now, but has potential for improvement and can be competitive later in the season if they do so. The Bears won, and that irks some people around the county. It is what it is. East was top 25 before week 1, better than Mayfield/Boardman/Perry, look at all their D1 commits, etc., etc. They lose to a Jackson team with undeniable talent and now they're "just a City Series team". Guess you better go tell Minnesota, Akron, UMass, and all the other colleges that are recruiting Jackson and East and tell them they're wrong.
Old 08-29-17, 08:08 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post

To say after reading that grammatical atrocity and finding out your favorite school is Canton McKinley was a surprise to me would be understatement of the year good sir.
I'm not writing an essay or a dissertation, this is an online line blog. You people in Jackson never cease to amaze me. Plenty of good students have come out of Mck and a lot of you live in Jackson - Real Talk. So you can stop with the generalities.
Old 08-29-17, 08:36 AM
All District

Quote:
The same troll out bashing GlenOak because they're McKinley's equal now.

No one is getting "excited". Everyone in here is being pretty open about the fact that Jackson is a very flawed team right now, but has potential for improvement and can be competitive later in the season if they do so. The Bears won, and that irks some people around the county. It is what it is. East was top 25 before week 1, better than Mayfield/Boardman/Perry, look at all their D1 commits, etc., etc. They lose to a Jackson team with undeniable talent and now they're "just a City Series team". Guess you better go tell Minnesota, Akron, UMass, and all the other colleges that are recruiting Jackson and East and tell them they're wrong.

I'm not irked because Jackson won, they win when they play them every year. I'm saying beef up the schedule. It is well known that most Akron City teams field rosters around 35 -50 kids if they are lucky.

Also I don't believe I said anything about the abilities of the players. however, there is a difference in a Federal League game vs a Akron City League game. City game is usually faster, physical and relies more on raw athletic talent. At the end of the day talent wins out and that is why many kids from inner city football and basketball programs are playing for your favorite colleges.

I'm not bashing GlenOak, there are some things that I see going on that have been unaddressed for a long time and I'm familiar with both programs.

As I've said in the past my children, nephews, and nieces have played youth sports for the past 20 years against kids from Canton city, Plain Twp. Jackson, Lake, Perry, North Canton, Massillon and Green so I know people and just little about the communities and programs.

In reference to GlenOak, if a school wants to be great they create your own legacy, you don't want to be referred to as the new McK or Mck's equal.
Old 08-29-17, 08:37 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post

I'm not writing an essay or a dissertation, this is an online line blog. You people in Jackson never cease to amaze me. Plenty of good students have come out of Mck and a lot of you live in Jackson - Real Talk. So you can stop with the generalizations.