Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Suburban League > Highland Hornets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-03-09, 05:09 PM
All District

TRIPLE-J is on a distinguished road
wow now what

Was just wondering what everyones view is on the rest of the season for Highland. I just dont know what to think anymore, season started out so promising. I'm thinking I would like to see some of the underclassmen get some time in and see what we have. Seems are two way players just get gassed and we dont spell them for a bit, even just a couple of plays here and there would be nice to see. Cant seem to put my finger on our offensive scheme either, are we a passing team trying to run the ball or are we a running team trying to pass the ball, seems like we cant get a good combo of the two. Maybe its just the situations we have been putting ourselves in I dont know. Would like to see TP get the ball more in those short yardage situations.
Old 10-04-09, 01:09 PM
All District

PeterGammons is on a distinguished road
I think having Snook and Knerem running the offense for 3-4 years kinda makes it difficult because its almost like a brand new team and coaching staff having a hard time to make sense of it all.
Our receiving core is fairly weak with Krone and Selerowski as the X, Z tandem. We could have TP out at TE more but he needs to stay rested up so he can keep his impact on the other side of the ball.
Running game consists of an O-Line that is average-above average that I think will be better next year. And Maz has great speed and breaks open runs but would be nice to have a bigger, bruiser-type back to put in to give him breathers at times.
IMO its a good team with fairly weak depth and the coaches are trying to make do with what they have. Get Gonser bigger and Koran some more touches and we may see some a lot of I-form next year. Just need some deep threats. Soph Sedio could really help:6'2'', breakaway speed, plays basketball and baseball and will play varsity in both this year...could replace Kroneberger..
Old 10-05-09, 12:36 PM
All American

On The Money is on a distinguished road
Several issues here, and I will try to put in my two cents for each:

1. Depth - I recognized this problem in week one. We had several players cramping up against Rocky River as early as the third quarter. I agree that the coaches should look for spots to spell these 2 way players for 3 or 4 plays at a time. The fact that the coaches have chosen not to spell these players has a couple potential explanations. The most obvious would appear to be they do not have much faith in under-classmen to get the job done - even for a few plays. However, this may not necessarily be the case. The last several weeks Highland has fallen behind early in games, and maybe the coaches are thinking that they have to stay with their best athletes in that siutation. I did see a junior playing corner in place of Maz for most of the game against Green. He seemed to hold his own out there, and I would think he could be used in spots to give Maz or Kroney a blow. But I do agree that against North Royalton, Revere, and to a lesser extent Green, we appeared to run out of gas late in the game. It certainly is fair to raise the issue and try to figure out what could possibly be done to remedy the problem.

2. What kind of offense are we? - To me, this one is easy. Lombardo likes to run the ball about 70% of the snaps and try to hit you with the big play in the passing game. He tries to establish the run first, particularly the Power O, to set up his passing game and outside running game. Unfortunately, the Hornets have not executed well in the power running game since the fourth quarter at North Royalton. The end of North Royalton, and early in the Tallmadge, Revere, and Green games the Hornets struggled to run the football. In all four instances Lombardo was forced to spread the field and call more pass plays. He probably hesitates to just start games this way because he has a sophomore QB, and only one real weapon at receiver. We may see him open the next few weeks with a few more play-action passes early in the game, but I don't think he will abandon his philosophy of primarily being a running team.

3. Short Yardage/Goal-line Offense - I agree this is becoming a problem. I also agree with the suggestion that Tyler Phillips in the backfield may be part of the solution. It is only fair to mention that Serafin has been playing hurt and really isn't an option to carry the ball right now. That injury has really hurt the Hornets, but I give the kid major kudos for toughing it out and doing everything he can to help the team. My suggestion would be to go two tight (Serafin and Bernhard) on the goal-line, with Phillips at full back, Maz at tailback, and Kroney at flanker. At least that gives you a big back in the backfield to push the pile when you have field conditions like we did against a Green.

4. Run Defense - The defensive line is under-sized, and they are struggling to maintain the line of scrimmage. The inside backers are not making enough tackles at or near the line of scrimmage either. We probably have the best kids on the roster in place in the defensive front 7/8, but they need to be more productive. The smaller kids have to keep those pads low and not get blown back into the backers. I think this will continue to be an issue, but the only answer in my opinion is to play a little harder and little smarter. As a wise man once said, this kind of "is what it is."

5. Where does the season go from here? - I think that is largely up to the seniors. As we have dropped a few games the past several weeks, I don't see the enthusiasm that I did for example at North Royalton, where I saw a valiant effort even though we came up short. I have not seen that same enthusiasm the last few weeks. We have come out flat three weeks in a row. That enthusiasm has to come from the seniors. The underclassmen will follow their lead. If the seniors give up a little, so will the underclassmen. I like the young men in our senior class and I think they have the fortitude and the desire to finish strong. There are no patsies left on the schedule, and no one is going to feel sorry for them because they are tired and injured. There are still opportunities out there for Highland to finish with a decent season. In the end, I think the final outcome is really up to the seniors.
Old 10-05-09, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Not all is lost...

We still can make the playoffs. That has to be the goal. As stated, no easy games left... We have to win Friday. Barberton is a MUST win seeing as the 3 games after that are going to be even tougher.

UGLY game Friday. Definitely not a good showing for the Hornets.
Lots of issues... Some random thoughts.

A. Phillips needed the carries around the goal line. I said it, everyone sitting around me said it, it was obvious. He really needs more carries period. Maslowski isn't the every down running back I hoped he would be coming in... At least not a grind it out between the tackles back capable of getting to the 2nd level and breaking it... I don't know, maybe the holes not being there is part of the issue. He IS every bit of the play-maker I thought he would be though. A big key to the rest of this year is finding a way to get him in space. Maybe more screens, maybe interesting formations, I don't know. Something needs to change though in the ways we get him the ball. Serafin needs carries too, he hasn't been healthy which has really hurt us. Hopefully that trio is healthy moving forward.

B. Kroney was amazing Friday. We simply don't have another receiving threat though... Would love to see someone step up, that would be a huge help for us, but I just don't see it at this point. Scholle played well. He really has a cannon. Tight, deep spirals. He's going to be good. I honestly think we need to pass it a bit more this year... Unless Serafin or Phillips really proves reliable between the tackles...

C. As bad as our run defense was, it could've been worse... The defense actually played pretty well the 1st half. 7 points off of a return. Then just one more TD. We held strong on the goal line early which was huge. Going into the half down by only 1 score was crazy considering how bad the 1st quarter was. Could've been A LOT worse. We really wore down as the game went on, which is obviously an issue we've known about. That was our issue going back all the way to last year (see 3rd quarter against SS and Wadsworth).
Old 10-05-09, 10:58 PM
All District

AN established running game and goalline defenses win championships...
Old 10-05-09, 11:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGammons View Post
AN established running game and goalline defenses win championships...
So very, very true.

Do you by any chance know the odds of Chad Sedio coming out for football?
From what I know he's quite the athlete. Very elusive...
Old 10-07-09, 04:33 PM
All District

TRIPLE-J is on a distinguished road
ummmm, dont think Chad Sedio is going to play football. He's a good baseball player and a good basketball player but not sure about him on a football field but I have never seen him there either so who knows
I would like to see some of the underclassmen that have been playing at reciever for scholle the past few years get a few reps this season and see what happens. They are already used to his arm strength, and we could use another good set of hands or two.
hmmm Speaking of baseball heard a rumor Scholle wasnt going to play this year. Thats a shame, good pitcher we could use him on the mound.
Old 10-07-09, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

Scholle's brother was a good track athlete for Highland a few years ago... I wouldn't be opposed to him ending up there.
Old 10-08-09, 12:51 PM
All American

On The Money is on a distinguished road
Shaping up for another mud-fest in Barberton tomorrow. This team is not built for plowing it out in the mud. On the bright side, Barberton isn't either.
Old 10-08-09, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Money View Post
Shaping up for another mud-fest in Barberton tomorrow. This team is not built for plowing it out in the mud. On the bright side, Barberton isn't either.
Feed TP.
Old 10-17-09, 06:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
So very, very true.

Do you by any chance know the odds of Chad Sedio coming out for football?
From what I know he's quite the athlete. Very elusive...
very elusive...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: