Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Wauseon (27-1) vs Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (24-5)
Wauseon (27-1) 10 32.26%
Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (24-5) 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-17, 12:37 PM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Irish win 45-30.

Dru Joyce won't get the credit he deserves, but he is a really good coach. This is his 3rd state title without LeBron and the Irish consistently go deep in the playoffs.
Hmmm . . .
Old 03-25-17, 12:46 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Waueson not good at all
NOBODY gets to play the final game of the season at Ohio State if they are not good. Sometimes you just have a poor day and the shots don't drop - it happens. D2 was really tough this season and to finish second is nothing to be ashamed of. Great season.
Old 03-25-17, 01:03 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Irish, you always make Akron proud!!!
Old 03-25-17, 01:12 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Graves official stat line: 25 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 7 steals. Only player for the Irish in double figures. Team shot 19-47 (40.4%) Graves was 10-18, so the rest of the team was 9-29 (31%). Irish were 4-8 from the line

For Wauseon, Rotroff scored 18 points on 8-10 shooting with 9 rebounds. But he was 2-8 from the line. He was the only Wauseon player in double figures. The team shot 12-28, an incredibly low number of shots! Other than Rotroff, Wauseon was 4-18 (22.2%) As a team, they were 4-13 (30.8%) from the FT line.

Wauseon out-rebounded the Irish by a large margin, 31-21. But the big stat (as it usually is for the Irish) was the turnover battle that STVM won 23-7. And the Irish got 25 points off of turnovers compared to 0 for Wauseon.

Neither team did much of anything from the 3-point arc, and fouls were pretty much a wash. No advantage to either team.

A quick perusal of the stats show the difference was the turnovers and the foul shooting. You knew the Irish would win the turnover battle, just like you knew Wauseon would win the battle of the boards. In what was a close game until late, though, those extra FT's really cost Wauseon.

It seemed like the Irish were waiting all game for the run that would provide them separation. Luckily for the Irish that run came just in the nick of time.

All in all, while it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing game, the championship trophy will certainly look just as impressive in the Irish trophy case! Congratulations Irish!
Old 03-25-17, 01:14 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Irish haven't scored in 6 minutes

Rotrop heading to line.

Time out.

Wauseon has missed 5 FT's in 4th quarter.
Tired legs.
Old 03-25-17, 01:21 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
NOBODY gets to play the final game of the season at Ohio State if they are not good. Sometimes you just have a poor day and the shots don't drop - it happens. D2 was really tough this season and to finish second is nothing to be ashamed of. Great season.
That poster has never posted anything positive the entire time they've been on this site. Ignore them.
Old 03-25-17, 01:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Akron could have dictated the score. Instead, they dictated the pace. They're not there to blow you off the floor like some. Seen Wauseon, just not in the same game ready class. Not a slam. Seemed to me, they've got the coaching, they've got the potential. For kids like that, the need is preparation and experience. Coaches too. They need practice playing from behind against teams that press and run. They need the bench to experience that. Akron is prepare to play against ANY kind of team. Wauseon's focus is much smaller.

Wauseon's "mistake" was the same as any small town/neighborhood school that gets that once in a lifetime class coming in, they didn't up tick their schedule, concentrating on wins instead of tournament readiness. Their problem was that they were 26-1.

If they're not ready to get on the bus next year, same result. Pick up Lima Senior (or just about anyone "Lima,"), SJJ, Whitmer, maybe a Detroit team, heck Ft Wayne. Schedule teams that press and run... The kids are players. Give them someone to play against. Same in summer. If BENCH isn't out looking for different type of competition, a run game, then the team won't be prepared for state atmosphere.

Enjoy your season, don't let the commentary get you down. Next year's another shot but come prepared.
Very well thought out comments. Heck, Coach Dru will play you regular season.
Old 03-25-17, 02:47 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Akron could have dictated the score. Instead, they dictated the pace. They're not there to blow you off the floor like some. Seen Wauseon, just not in the same game ready class. Not a slam. Seemed to me, they've got the coaching, they've got the potential. For kids like that, the need is preparation and experience. Coaches too. They need practice playing from behind against teams that press and run. They need the bench to experience that. Akron is prepare to play against ANY kind of team. Wauseon's focus is much smaller.

Wauseon's "mistake" was the same as any small town/neighborhood school that gets that once in a lifetime class coming in, they didn't up tick their schedule, concentrating on wins instead of tournament readiness. Their problem was that they were 26-1.

If they're not ready to get on the bus next year, same result. Pick up Lima Senior (or just about anyone "Lima,"), SJJ, Whitmer, maybe a Detroit team, heck Ft Wayne. Schedule teams that press and run... The kids are players. Give them someone to play against. Same in summer. If BENCH isn't out looking for different type of competition, a run game, then the team won't be prepared for state atmosphere.

Enjoy your season, don't let the commentary get you down. Next year's another shot but come prepared.
This is something that I can partially agree with

Last edited by Krasula24; 03-25-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 03:10 PM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
Did Wauseon's coach not realize he had 2 timeouts when his team started turning it over at the end? He needed to calm them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
He not a good head coach.
Old 03-25-17, 03:55 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Sure would be nice to occasionally see public schools play and win in state title games. Just sayin!
Old 03-25-17, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How do you do that? Do you call up half the teams on your schedule and tell them you're dropping them for a year or two and then want them back? Do you keep those new teams on the schedule when you have lesser talent and get routinely drilled?
Akron will always have big talent and can afford to play that kind of schedule. Teams like Wauseon don't.
Old 03-25-17, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
An Akron team that "attracts" talent from the greater Akron metro area and beyond competing against a small town team...they should roll them.

That is the real inequality in the system.
Old 03-25-17, 05:03 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Sure would be nice to occasionally see public schools play and win in state title games. Just sayin!
New Concord John Glenn. Just sayin.
Old 03-25-17, 05:27 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
How do you do that? Do you call up half the teams on your schedule and tell them you're dropping them for a year or two and then want them back? Do you keep those new teams on the schedule when you have lesser talent and get routinely drilled?
Akron will always have big talent and can afford to play that kind of schedule. Teams like Wauseon don't.
Hindsight.... but Wauseon did have a couple year's warning something special was coming up.

How do they do that (schedule)? I'm not sure where you see any difficulty in that. They schedule their own OCC. Yes I think you'd see some of those occ teams gladly reschedule if it was going to give someone in the neighborhood a better chance at state. I'm no expert though. It may be as difficult as you say. As far as "affordability," that tougher talent is a lot closer than several of those teams on Wauseon's OCC. They pass right by Toledo to get to Genoa.
Old 03-25-17, 05:28 PM
All Region

tb81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
Last year's John Glenn team beats Wauseon by 30. Wauseon's hope they miss their open shots defense wouldn't of worked against them. ASVSM missed a lot of open high percentage shots and that's the only reason why isn't wasn't a total blowout. Trotwood would of beaten Wauseon by 30 because of their relentless pressure. Take the big kid off the court and Wauseon is a below average team who be lucky to win 5 games against ASVSM schedule.

I would say both D3 teams playing in the finals are significantly better than Wauseon.
Old 03-25-17, 06:05 PM
All Region

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
John Glenn was full of transfer players last year but it seems like people on here give them a pass or don't care because they are a public school. Seems hypocritical and amuses me
Old 03-25-17, 06:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
John Glenn was full of transfer players last year but it seems like people on here give them a pass or don't care because they are a public school. Seems hypocritical and amuses me
Yes and yes.

What's comical is the underclassman starter from that JG team transferred to Pickerington for this year.
Old 03-25-17, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
People only complain about transfers/open enrollment when state titles are involved.
Old 03-25-17, 06:14 PM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post

Their best players were transfers!

Old 03-25-17, 06:15 PM
All Region

skyvue
DII Final: Wauseon (27-1) vs Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (24-5)

Quote:

And because they were white! More outrage on here when it is inner city black kids on the loaded teams.

Old 03-25-17, 06:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

3 or 4 of their starters were transfers. Open enrollment is within the rules. John Glenn found a way to win. I won't fault them for that.
Old 03-25-17, 06:20 PM
All Region

skyvue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
3 or 4 of their starters were transfers. Open enrollment is within the rules. John Glenn found a way to win. I won't fault them for that.

I don't fault anybody for it. I was pointing out the hypocrisy on here! Kids should be able to go to a different school every year if they wish. This is America and that's called freedom to choose!

Old 03-25-17, 06:25 PM
All Region

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
To be 100% clear I am not faulting them or saying that I disagree with it. If its within the rules go for it 100%. Just saying IMO it seems like a double standard to some on here about certain teams and transfers. Again I am not trying to take away anything from JG...they had a GREAT year and I enjoyed watching them at state.
Old 03-25-17, 06:33 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
People only complain about transfers/open enrollment when state titles are involved.
Or when they loose to a private school.
Old 03-25-17, 06:37 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
My Dad once told me that in Akron, in the 1930's, you could attend any city high school , your senior year. So this has been going on forever. Today where most kids have their own car or pick-up, are there really any neighborhood schools left ?
Old 03-25-17, 06:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

John Glenn's best player by far was Drew Rackley (co-D2 POY). I didn't think he was one of the transfers. But I could be mistaken.
Old 03-25-17, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
He not a good head coach.
I disagree B. They lost one game going in to today. They did that with a group of kids who could only get through teams like Eastmoor with sound strategies, precise fundamentals and peerless effort. That's good coaching Brian.
Old 03-25-17, 07:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Hindsight.... but Wauseon did have a couple year's warning something special was coming up.

How do they do that (schedule)? I'm not sure where you see any difficulty in that. They schedule their own OCC. Yes I think you'd see some of those occ teams gladly reschedule if it was going to give someone in the neighborhood a better chance at state. I'm no expert though. It may be as difficult as you say. As far as "affordability," that tougher talent is a lot closer than several of those teams on Wauseon's OCC. They pass right by Toledo to get to Genoa.
Again, look at last year's John Glenn team. They knew going into the season they had a legitimate shot at the title. And they found a way to get STVM on their schedule. Scheduling out-of-conference for teams in conferences can be dicey because you are locked in to so many games. And travel makes it tougher, as well. But it can be done. There are tournaments like flying to the Hoops that will give your team a great challenge; or the King James tournament at STVM. Not all schools can travel to Florida at Christmas time to play, but that's another option. Or you can be creative and start your own tournament. With all the good schools in the Lima/Toledo corridor, I would think it would be pretty easy to fill out a tournament field from that area and eastern Indiana if you wanted to limit it in that way. Tie it in to a food bank around Christmas time and you'd get a load of corporate sponsors. There are a number of things that can be done to add a few games to your schedule. And, you know, state tournament be damned, it would make the regular season a lot more enjoyable as well. As I've said in other threads, I enjoy the regular season more that the post season anyway. And I prefer a close game like VASJ (even though we lost!) to any of the blowout wins the Irish had this year.
Old 03-25-17, 08:20 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
The best is yet to come for the Irish as the Class of 2019 is solid and the freshman class of 2020 is Loaded!!!