Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Wauseon (27-1) vs Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (24-5)
Wauseon (27-1) 10 32.26%
Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (24-5) 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-17, 08:49 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Javon Graves proves today he was the best player in Ohio 2017!!!
Old 03-25-17, 08:57 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Agreed. At the beginning of the year. I thought he would be in the mix. But after this weekend, I'm not sure who you could legitimately say is better. He is a tremendous player.
Old 03-25-17, 09:17 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I don't fault anybody for it. I was pointing out the hypocrisy on here! Kids should be able to go to a different school every year if they wish. This is America and that's called freedom to choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
To be 100% clear I am not faulting them or saying that I disagree with it. If its within the rules go for it 100%. Just saying IMO it seems like a double standard to some on here about certain teams and transfers. Again I am not trying to take away anything from JG...they had a GREAT year and I enjoyed watching them at state.
Maybe I used the wrong word (fault) that caused confusion. They were a public school who used the system to their advantage. I agree with both of you. Double standard and absolutely parents' right to choose.

The one that kills me is publics who think they "own" kids because they live in their district.
Old 03-25-17, 09:19 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
NE Ohio Sweep....quite possibly the top two teams in Ohio were STVM and Jackson. It was refreshing to see Roxanne Price Deb Moore and Dr Ross very visible during the post game awards presentation for STVM. Javon Graves was voted the D2 Co Player of the year.

Last edited by StarstoShine; 03-26-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 09:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Agreed. At the beginning of the year. I thought he would be in the mix. But after this weekend, I'm not sure who you could legitimately say is better. He is a tremendous player.
If Jayvon had committed to tOSU he would have been. Buffalo is getting a steal.

That being said, I don't think he was ever in the mix. From the article I saw on cleveland.com he wasn't mentioned. I thought to be considered a player had to be one of the Divisional POY. Evidently not.
Old 03-25-17, 09:26 PM
All World

Quote:
NE Ohio Sweep....hey Jerry Snodgrass the best two teams in Ohio were STVM and Jackson
And SVSM beat Jackson on their home court. I guess that makes the Irish the best of the best. (vasj not withstanding)
Old 03-25-17, 09:34 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
It's a joke St V is D2 and gets to play these jokers for a state title
Old 03-25-17, 09:36 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
It's a joke St V is D2 and gets to play these jokers for a state title
You dropped a grape on the floor.......
Old 03-25-17, 11:21 PM
All Region

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but some of these NEO people are some of the snobbiest people ever..... it's sad
Old 03-26-17, 04:18 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
And because they were white! More outrage on here when it is inner city black kids on the loaded teams.

Thats it in a nutshell

Old 03-26-17, 07:57 AM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
4-13 foul shooting, 23 turnovers and a 25-0 scoring difference is why the game was not closer. Playing a private school does not make you shoot poor foul shots. When you reach the state title game you need to play your best and Wauseon did not. You should not just win because your a public school or you have the best team you have had in a long time. You actually need to play well.
Old 03-26-17, 09:40 AM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
4-13 foul shooting, 23 turnovers and a 25-0 scoring difference is why the game was not closer. Playing a private school does not make you shoot poor foul shots. When you reach the state title game you need to play your best and Wauseon did not. You should not just win because your a public school or you have the best team you have had in a long time. You actually need to play well.
My guess is everyone would agree with this 100%. But the differences between these two teams was in the rosters and how they were put together.
Old 03-26-17, 12:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasula24 View Post
I'm sorry but some of these NEO people are some of the snobbiest people ever..... it's sad
Yes, sad but true. However I can assure you they are not SVSM people. If you follow over the course of a sports season, you'll see they are not. Generally they want stir up trouble on any post, any team but their own.

I appreciated your pregame comments. I thought your team and fans were great. I especially noticed how the players on each team treated each other throughout the game. When a guy went down the closest player, regardless of uniform, helped him up. It was close until the final minutes.

i for one will be following Wauseon next season as I know you have a good number of underclassmen. I hope you will continue to post.
Old 03-26-17, 01:51 PM
All American

BulldogBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Playing a de facto D1 team recruited in Greater Akron-Canton that beat D1 State Champion Jackson, is why the game wasn't closer.
Old 03-27-17, 09:06 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
As far a Wauseon's schedule, if you look at it when a lot of these games were scheduled years ago, several of those teams were real solid challenges and I assume an upgrade from prior years. Should they attend 7th and 8th grade games to scout who has upcoming talent and where they are going to school?

Defiance won the D2 State Championship in 2015

Anthony Wayne has guys playing at BGSU and the University of Michigan

Napoleon has a guy playing at the University of Toledo and currently has one of the better PG in the state

Southview was ranked #1 in the State in D1 in 2015

Springfield has a guy playing for BGSU

Archbold made it to the final 4 in D3 this year

People mention playing the Lima teams. Lima Sr looks to have turned the corner, but it is not too long ago that they were losing games to Oregon Clay or look at how LCC has fallen off this year. The Toledo City League teams they are always up and down depending on the year. Short of trying to schedule St. Johns it is kind of a crap shoot in the Toledo area as far as which schools are up and down at the D1 and D2 level.

Wauseon is a good team who just happened to lose to a better team. They held SVSM to their lowest point total of the year and it was a 5 point game with 3:00 to go. No shame in that.

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 03-27-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-27-17, 10:23 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
As far a Wauseon's schedule, if you look at it when a lot of these games were scheduled years ago, several of those teams were real solid challenges and I assume an upgrade from prior years. Should they attend 7th and 8th grade games to scout who has upcoming talent and where they are going to school?

Defiance won the D2 State Championship in 2015

Anthony Wayne has guys playing at BGSU and the University of Michigan

Napoleon has a guy playing at the University of Toledo and currently has one of the better PG in the state

Southview was ranked #1 in the State in D1 in 2015

Springfield has a guy playing for BGSU

Archbold made it to the final 4 in D3 this year

People mention playing the Lima teams. Lima Sr looks to have turned the corner, but it is not too long ago that they were losing games to Oregon Clay or look at how LCC has fallen off this year. The Toledo City League teams they are always up and down depending on the year. Short of trying to schedule St. Johns it is kind of a crap shoot in the Toledo area as far as which schools are up and down at the D1 and D2 level.

Wauseon is a good team who just happened to lose to a better team. They held SVSM to their lowest point total of the year and it was a 5 point game with 3:00 to go. No shame in that.
Thank you. People on here think it's easy to drop and schedule teams. But I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-27-17, 10:44 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
And SVSM beat Jackson on their home court. I guess that makes the Irish the best of the best. (vasj not withstanding)
I don't think a last second shot followed by two turnovers in the last minute would classify StV as the better team. If anything I came away that Jackson was the better team, but whatever.
Old 03-27-17, 10:47 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yep, jut stay out of NE Ohio and you won't have to deal with snobs anywhere else??
Old 03-27-17, 10:52 AM
All District

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBob View Post
Playing a de facto D1 team recruited in Greater Akron-Canton that beat D1 State Champion Jackson, is why the game wasn't closer.
This!
Old 03-27-17, 10:56 AM
Junior Varsity

jlghoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
bball216 and I rarely agree, but on this one he is 100% correct!
Old 03-27-17, 10:59 AM
All District

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You should not just win because your a public school or you have the best team you have had in a long time. You actually need to play well.
Yes, you definitely have to play well against an assembled all star team. I agree. Probably need to play a perfect game to beat LeBron and his buddies.
Old 03-28-17, 03:30 PM
Junior Varsity

sfkflounder is on a distinguished road
For high school athletics, the goal around here in extreme northwest Ohio is to win a league title, maybe win a sectional/district in most sports or qualify for the playoffs in football. Realistically, we know that state titles and final fours are rare. But every once in a while, maybe every 25 years or so, a group of kids comes through the school with a rare athletic ability, talent and drive combination. Here in Wauseon we don’t see many Division 1 college prospects…exactly 2 football players in 40 years and fewer basketball recruits. This current version of Wauseon has a once in a generation 6’9” player with skill. And to go along with him, they have 4-6 above average high school basketball players. This doesn’t happen here. We are a city of 7300 people. Our high school graduates about 150 students each year. So when we see our kids, who met each other in kindergarten, have this once in a generation chance to win a state title, only to lose to a private school who gets to pick and choose athletes from many school districts…it is very frustrating. If you had not grown up in a small town or watched your kids grow up in a small town, maybe you just don’t get it.

Maybe it was mentioned on here and I just didn’t see it but Wauseon’s wrestling team also finished 2nd in the state this year (last year also). They finished 2nd to St Paris Graham, another private school who happens to be in the wrestling finals more often than ASVSM is in the basketball final four. Wauseon had a run in the early 90’s of athletes. And we seem to be in the middle of another run. Maybe this basketball team will get back to Columbus next year. Maybe the wrestling team will as well. But knowing already that if we are going to win a state title, it will be an upset…well that’s pretty disheartening.

I do apologize for the long post. And I would like to conclude by congratulating the players and families of Wauseon. And to say I appreciate all the hard work that goes into a season like this one.
Old 03-28-17, 03:58 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
St Paris Graham is a public school, for what it's worth.
Old 03-28-17, 05:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkflounder View Post
For high school athletics, the goal around here in extreme northwest Ohio is to win a league title, maybe win a sectional/district in most sports or qualify for the playoffs in football. Realistically, we know that state titles and final fours are rare. But every once in a while, maybe every 25 years or so, a group of kids comes through the school with a rare athletic ability, talent and drive combination. Here in Wauseon we don’t see many Division 1 college prospects…exactly 2 football players in 40 years and fewer basketball recruits. This current version of Wauseon has a once in a generation 6’9” player with skill. And to go along with him, they have 4-6 above average high school basketball players. This doesn’t happen here. We are a city of 7300 people. Our high school graduates about 150 students each year. So when we see our kids, who met each other in kindergarten, have this once in a generation chance to win a state title, only to lose to a private school who gets to pick and choose athletes from many school districts…it is very frustrating. If you had not grown up in a small town or watched your kids grow up in a small town, maybe you just don’t get it.

Maybe it was mentioned on here and I just didn’t see it but Wauseon’s wrestling team also finished 2nd in the state this year (last year also). They finished 2nd to St Paris Graham, another private school who happens to be in the wrestling finals more often than ASVSM is in the basketball final four. Wauseon had a run in the early 90’s of athletes. And we seem to be in the middle of another run. Maybe this basketball team will get back to Columbus next year. Maybe the wrestling team will as well. But knowing already that if we are going to win a state title, it will be an upset…well that’s pretty disheartening.

I do apologize for the long post. And I would like to conclude by congratulating the players and families of Wauseon. And to say I appreciate all the hard work that goes into a season like this one.
Having sports success like this in a small town comes once in a lifetime.. nothing beats watching home-grown kids succeed.
Old 03-28-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkflounder View Post
Wauseon has a once in a generation 6’9” ... Wauseon had a run in the early 90’s of athletes. And we seem to be in the middle of another run.

hmmmm, the Math works. Did the tall boy happen to marry the tall girl he met at the '92' Apple Butter Festival?
Old 03-29-17, 07:27 AM
Junior Varsity

sfkflounder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
St Paris Graham is a public school, for what it's worth.
Well then…I do apologize. And that’s what I get for not researching before I post.
Old 03-29-17, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
John Glenn's best player by far was Drew Rackley (co-D2 POY). I didn't think he was one of the transfers. But I could be mistaken.
He wasn't. He and Tanner Slack were home-grown. Actually, Weir and Blatt lived in the district all along...they open enrolled at Zanesville and returned after 10th grade.

Blevins transferred from Zanesville, and as previously stated moved to Pickerington after the season. He was really the only legit "transfer" on the roster.

The whole "transfer" hubub was pretty overblown, IMO.
Old 03-29-17, 09:00 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
He wasn't. He and Tanner Slack were home-grown. Actually, Weir and Blatt lived in the district all along...they open enrolled at Zanesville and returned after 10th grade.

Blevins transferred from Zanesville, and as previously stated moved to Pickerington after the season. He was really the only legit "transfer" on the roster.

The whole "transfer" hubub was pretty overblown, IMO.
So they had 3 transfers starting, correct?
Old 03-29-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thank you. People on here think it's easy to drop and schedule teams. But I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Not easy" is what the good programs overcome. But it's all on Wauseon. It's not a moral issue, it's an issue of how to get those "once-in-a-lifetime" teams competitive (or how to sustain the talent stream) when YOU KNOW they're coming up. Late reaction is what keeps them from having chance against those schools that perenially as a matter of habit, have top IN DIVISION or higher competition on their schedule.

Anything else is really just excuse making, but it's theirs to make.

I think at some point, the AD has to decide it's not the players "once in a lifetime" but the coaching and that if the schedule challenges, they can be in this thing regularly and begin to compete with the private schools. Heck, you'll probably start getting transfers so you can become the bad-guy.
Old 03-29-17, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
So they had 3 transfers starting, correct?
If you want to stretch the definition, I guess.

By the same token, 4 starters lived in the East Muskingum District essentially their whole lives. Clearly the definition of "home-grown," no?

I find it interesting that no one gave a crap about it in 2015, when they only made it to the regional with essentially the same team...but everyone lost their minds when it became apparent that they were challengers for state last year.