Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-05-18, 06:40 AM
Freshman

Hornet Wrestling is on a distinguished road
Highland High School Head Coach opening.

Highland High School has an opening for a Head Wrestling coach. Interested candidates can send a letter of interest to AD John Deuber at jdeuber@highlandschools.org
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 07:54 AM
All Region

350zjk is on a distinguished road
Wow! What happened with Alan Fried? That program had turned the corner.
Old 04-05-18, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zjk View Post
Wow! What happened with Alan Fried? That program had turned the corner.
Believe Alan posted he was let go for being to tough on the kids. Little Billy wasn't ready for the next level
Old 04-05-18, 11:04 AM
All District

Paddypride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Believe Alan posted he was let go for being to tough on the kids. Little Billy wasn't ready for the next level
Where did Alan post this?
Old 04-05-18, 11:27 AM
Junior Varsity

Coffee Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, that's the reason
Old 04-05-18, 11:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
How ridiculous!! They want to compete with Aurora, Wadsworth, and Brecksville, but don't want to take the pain and sacrifice to the next level. Have seen this happen way too often.
Old 04-05-18, 12:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
How ridiculous!! They want to compete with Aurora, Wadsworth, and Brecksville, but don't want to take the pain and sacrifice to the next level. Have seen this happen way too often.
Yeah, the Highland kids are so soft, what p$$$ies
Old 04-05-18, 03:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Black View Post
Yeah, the Highland kids are so soft, what p$$$ies

Don't really need posts like this. All it takes is a few over protective parents that have clout. As an official I was impressed with both the M.S. and H.S. on their tenacity and conditioning. Like I said, thought the program was about to turn the corner. I guess we'll see who takes Alan's place.
Old 04-05-18, 04:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Don't really need posts like this. All it takes is a few over protective parents that have clout. As an official I was impressed with both the M.S. and H.S. on their tenacity and conditioning. Like I said, thought the program was about to turn the corner. I guess we'll see who takes Alan's place.
So you attack 12-18 year old kids by saying they canít take the pain and sacrifice, and I canít defend them?
Old 04-05-18, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So you attack 12-18 year old kids by saying they canít take the pain and sacrifice, and I canít defend them?
You are not reading the comment correctly. More of a dig at the school.
Old 04-05-18, 05:23 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Will milk be made available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-18, 06:35 PM
All Region

dion is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=wash.c.h.legend;7023819]Will milk be made available?

????????????????
Old 04-05-18, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend View Post
Will milk be made available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No milk will ever be our milk
Old 04-05-18, 08:23 PM
All Region

knightflyer150 is on a distinguished road
I feel you guys mixing your milk scenes. Nice.

Old 04-06-18, 12:16 AM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
I was just sticking with the movie quote theme. Both are classics, obviously. I'm surprised they didn't have the part from Billy Madison (I checked myself).
Old 04-06-18, 06:07 AM
All District

Paddypride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by severs0801 View Post
You are not reading the comment correctly. More of a dig at the school.
Huh? So Alan was making the wrestling mats do to many sprints? Was he making the lighting fixtures and door handles do too many push-ups too? Mr Zjk's commentary was based on Mr Edge's post. I'd still like to see the quote where Alan said he was "let go for being to tough on the kids."
Old 04-06-18, 08:03 AM
All Region

Quote:
Sorry, if you thought that's where I was going. Hope I made it clear in my other post how I saw the wrestlers. Just troubled that another coach that was having success at Highland is "seemingly" getting run out. The last successful coach at Highland left under similar circumstances and is now doing a heck of a job as an assistant at Norton. Maybe the administration needs to take a look at what direction they want to go. Is it the coaching or is it entitlement from some adults? I don't know.
Old 04-06-18, 08:31 AM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
There are two reasons a coach of this caliber gets letís go, letís be honest. Illegal activity or a kid/kids being too soft and they are acclimated by the school board or some form of authority in the community. Since I havenít heard any breaking news about mr fried getting in any legal trouble I tend to assume the other. Some people getting mad that people calling kids soft, but guys if thatís what going on the truth is the truth, shouldnít offend anyone. Now I have no idea whatís going on but I know those are the only two reasons you push out a winning coach out of a program.
Old 04-06-18, 08:51 AM
Varsity

Medina smoke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TimeFunk View Post
There are two reasons a coach of this caliber gets let’s go, let’s be honest. Illegal activity or a kid/kids being too soft and they are acclimated by the school board or some form of authority in the community. Since I haven’t heard any breaking news about mr fried getting in any legal trouble I tend to assume the other. Some people getting mad that people calling kids soft, but guys if that’s what going on the truth is the truth, shouldn’t offend anyone. Now I have no idea what’s going on but I know those are the only two reasons you push out a winning coach out of a program.
Only thing that made sense is when you said you had “no idea”, Quite a narrative your dreaming/assuming

Last edited by Medina smoke; 04-06-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 08:55 AM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina smoke View Post
Only thing that made sense is when you said you had “no idea”, Quite narrative your dreaming/assuming
THats why I said if it’s going on. “IF” like I don’t know, that’s why I said I don’t know. . But I have plenty of examples of my narrative being non fiction.
Old 04-06-18, 09:19 AM
Varsity

Alan Fried Wres. Ac. is on a distinguished road
Hey, I never said that.

My youth and MS wrestlers were performing excellently in every way and I had no criticisms at all. Of course I was definitely tougher on the HS kids and in many cases they were far less developed and experienced than a lot of our youth wrestlers, so they might have been offended rather than inspired by the 'tough love' that is the world of Coaching. But, when it cam to the "non-renewal", I was just given the 'ol' company line' about a 'new direction' etc..

Very sad day for me to have all that work swiped away in an instant, after taking a team from about 6 wrestlers in 2016, to what could be up to 36 wrestlers next year and over 50 team members in 2 years.

If I had to point to one thing, I probably did not excel at responding to a some of the parents' emails with the right amount of tenderness and nurturing that a small but very loud percentage of parents demand you respond that way or else they will go and tell on you. We all know the game...enough said.

So, i guess that's my short statement about it to the great wrestling community of Ohio.

All that said, camps and clinics throughout the spring and summer are still a GO. And, I am presently doing a 3 month 'technical tune up w/ live situations' for all styles at Brecksville H.S. on Tues and Thurs at 6 pm. To register for this program, you simply show up at practice and register through the Brecksville Bees program. Walk-ins for a single practice are $20.

After that concludes, I will be looking to fill my time with private lessons for the rest of the Summer and Fall. I appreciate the support and concern from all of you who've posted or just viewed this thread.

CLINIC TOMORROW w/ myself and the great, Harry Lester. And, 3 Weekend camps coming up in May, June and August, at the 40 acre farm in Marion, Ohio. all the info is in the links below.

https://www.friedwrestling.com/camps-clinics/

http://sunsetwrestlingcamp.com/
Thank you, Alan Fried
Old 04-06-18, 09:25 AM
All District

4YourHead is on a distinguished road
Whatever the situation at Highland, they are going to be VERY VERY good. Seems a lot of credit to the guys running the Youth and Junior High Programs. No disrespect to Fried, one of the best wrestlers ever, but coaching is different than wrestling, in particular the high school level. Best of luck to all involved.
Old 04-06-18, 09:45 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4YourHead View Post
Whatever the situation at Highland, they are going to be VERY VERY good. Seems a lot of credit to the guys running the Youth and Junior High Programs. No disrespect to Fried, one of the best wrestlers ever, but coaching is different than wrestling, in particular the high school level. Best of luck to all involved.
Since perception is everything and before I get more of my work and effort swiped away by a post like this, let me inform you that all of those kids wrestled with my club the past 3 years and after they conquered their fears of the Olympic styles, they began getting more and more involved in the Freestyle and Greco tournament scene and that extra couple months alone worked it's magic yet again. They "bought in" and now they win! And, let me tell you it was a tough sell, but yes, I do believe they will have a lot of success even as soon as next year, when the High School team actually starts having wrestle offs for Varsity spots which keeps kids focused on day to day improvement.

Last edited by Alan Fried Wres. Ac.; 04-06-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 09:49 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fried Wres. Ac. View Post
Since perception is everything and before I get more of my work and effort swiped away by a post like this, let me inform you that all of those kids wrestled with my club the past 3 years and after they conquered their fears of the Olympic styles, they began getting more and more involved in the Freestyle and Greco tournament scene and that extra couple months alone worked it's magic yet again. They "bought in" and now they win! And, let me tell you it was a tough sell, but yes, I do believe they will have a lot of success even as soon as next year, when the High School team actually starts having wrestle offs for Varsity spots which keeps kids focused on day to day improvement.
No need to explain. You righted the ship at all levels. It's unfortunate that the BoE doesn't see that or as it appears, doesn't care.

Good luck. I hope you decide to coach at the HS level again. I hear Perry might have an opening...
Old 04-06-18, 09:53 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
No need to explain.
Especially to the dolts in here.

Best of luck Al.
Old 04-06-18, 10:08 AM
All Region

knightflyer150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
I was just sticking with the movie quote theme. Both are classics, obviously. I'm surprised they didn't have the part from Billy Madison (I checked myself).
I figured it was intentional, my tone was wrong. I meant that I liked the mixing of the sources.

Stop looking at me, Swan.
Old 04-06-18, 10:53 AM
All Region

[QUOTE=Alan Fried Wres. Ac.;7024081]Hey, I never said that.

My youth and MS wrestlers were performing excellently in every way and I had no criticisms at all. Of course I was definitely tougher on the HS kids and in many cases they were far less developed and experienced than a lot of our youth wrestlers, so they might have been offended rather than inspired by the 'tough love' that is the world of Coaching. But, when it cam to the "non-renewal", I was just given the 'ol' company line' about a 'new direction' etc..

Very sad day for me to have all that work swiped away in an instant, after taking a team from about 6 wrestlers in 2016, to what could be up to 36 wrestlers next year and over 50 team members in 2 years.

If I had to point to one thing, I probably did not excel at responding to a some of the parents' emails with the right amount of tenderness and nurturing that a small but very loud percentage of parents demand you respond that way or else they will go and tell on you. We all know the game...enough said

There you have it from the man himself. Seems I wasn't far off with my suppositions. One would think that Highland might have learned something when they lost Mark S. and he went to Norton. How's that saying go, "Are the inmates running the asylum"?
Old 04-06-18, 11:19 AM
Varsity

All that said, I loved Coaching there for these past 3 years. We made a very competitive group out of pretty much all local kids who almost all continued to play multiple sports. Once we changed a few habits from mediocre to high level, we were off to the races.

It was so fun watching kids go from being half-in, half-out to being inspired and learning good wrestling habits, then gaining confidence and then beating wrestlers they'd lost to in the past.

I have been very lucky to always have been part of an established program...Longwood Y, St. Ed's, Okie State...and being a small part of a bigger greatness is an honor, but rather than just join up with another great program, I always wanted to lead a team from the bottom or the middle and create a new program of greatness that could last long after I'm gone.

FWA: CLUB, CAMPS & CLINICS
https://www.friedwrestling.com/camps-clinics/

Logging back in to also add that it was a real good feeling to see some posts on the thread about how Highland was 'turning the corner', 'going to be tough', 'field a full team'. etc.. Everyone knows wrestling is a lonely grind much of the time just a small dose of recognition like that from the inner-culture of our sport, especially here in Ohio, once in a while is all a guy like me needs to feel like the hard work has paid off. Meanwhile, I saw over a dozen of my Highland wrestlers at Brecksville training hard for next season already and so if they learned that lesson and nothing more, it was a win win win

Last edited by Alan Fried Wres. Ac.; 04-06-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 03:54 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Ok, so Little Billy's parents couldn't deal with Little Billy getting pushed hard to reach the next level. Gotcha you. You don't have to say it, I'll say it will for you.

Success is not given, it's earned.
Old 04-06-18, 04:16 PM
Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
How about some clubs that could use some help Strongsville ,Walsh Jesuit ,And perry to name a few.