Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-18, 01:26 PM
All District

sucker drag is on a distinguished road
my opinion is 10 to 15 lbs is the norm not the exception
Old 03-19-18, 01:30 PM
All District

4TimeFunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker drag View Post
my opinion is 10 to 15 lbs is the norm not the exception
SMH. Come on guys
Old 03-19-18, 01:54 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
I don’t know if 15 is the “norm” but I wouldn’t bet against 10 being darn close.

My son wrestled 120. At district time he was walking around at 123 and decided to eat healthy and drop to 120 rather than wrestle 126.

By state he was walking around at 126 with eating healthy. He got down to 122, held 124 alright and spit/peed down to 123 after his QF March.

Only one kid he wrestled all weekend was he bigger than/stronger than (didn’t place), one other was about the same size/strength (did place). Out of 8 on the podium (8th place kid missed weigh outs so wasnt technically on the podium) you had 2 kids around 126 and 6 others that walk around (my guess, no factual information) at about 130.

Edit:I forgot about one kid that was somewhat shorter but stronger so could have been around 125/6 as well. So 3 around that size and 5 somewhat bigger. Again, just the eye test and what my son told me about how strong they were.
Old 03-19-18, 02:57 PM
Freshman

sagoffin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TimeFunk View Post
Is 10-15 pounds a real number for middle school kids?! Thatís borderline child abuse lol wow. I thought we were arguing over 5 lbs here. I always cut a TON. Sometimes more than 10-15 pounds but I was a ďmanĒ when I did this and decided it on my own. No 12-14 year old child is willingly doing that. I personally above all this think that big gaps between weights will fix the majority of cutting(even as big of gaps as they do in Olympic styles) but Jesus please if your child is cutting this much weight to win get in contact with me or someone knowledgeable about it thereís way easier ways to win
There was a dad at Super32 who said their middle school wrestler cut 17lbs to make 120. I look at some of these kids who are in great shape, ripped and barely have any body fat and wonder where the hell they find that kind of weight to cut. Is it dehydration, losing muscle mass or both? It's also very troubling to hear people talking about starving their kids to make weight.

We already eat healthy and practice daily so we wrestle what we weigh for the most part. At our weight I can see cutting maybe 2-3 lbs but that's it.

I like the weigh outs because it keeps those heavy cutters from loading up after weigh ins and showing up to wrestle that weekend 5, 10 or 15lbs heavier. You can clearly see a negative impact in their strength, performance and endurance when they cut heavily.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-18, 03:01 PM
All District

galewrestling is on a distinguished road
I think most agree that another weigh-out/in is a good thing. I just think the timing this year was not great.
Old 03-19-18, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingfan21 View Post
I was there, and my kid made weight for weigh outs..and I still think it's a dumb thing to do...have them weigh out on Saturday or weigh in Sunday morning..then you wouldn't have forfeits in the placement round..no one wants to see forfeits in the finals
If you was there you would of know weight finished before semis started so no one in finals should of had a forfeit. Now kids made the finals with a forfeit because kids didn't make weight.
Old 03-19-18, 04:25 PM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
If you was there you would of know weight finished before semis started so no one in finals should of had a forfeit. Now kids made the finals with a forfeit because kids didn't make weight.
There were 4 matches per weight for finals, placing 1st thru eighth... so yes, there were forfeits
Old 03-19-18, 05:15 PM
Freshman

jj2 is on a distinguished road
whether it's a good rule or not, parents knew the rule going in. that being said, why would a parent subject their kid to a weight cut knowing the kid couldn't make weigh outs? that's pretty stupid.
Old 03-19-18, 05:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
whether it's a good rule or not, parents knew the rule going in. that being said, why would a parent subject their kid to a weight cut knowing the kid couldn't make weigh outs? that's pretty stupid.
Agreed
Old 03-19-18, 08:05 PM
Varsity

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
I wasn't trying to start a debate about cutting weight, but rather thoughts on the way OAC managed the process. Jude is really great about sending post tournament surveys, so I'm sure the process will be evaluated and tweaks will be made if necessary.

Anecdotally, I heard complaints that some kids were confused about check in scales vs. "official" scales, and that kids were rushed from the scales to the bullpen.... Personally, I would prefer if they did weigh outs either Saturday after the session or Sunday morning before the session. Just my two cents.
Old 03-21-18, 02:48 PM
Freshman

FBWrestlingDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
If your kid could drop two weight classes if they weighed out on Saturday night, he's got plenty to spare.
He came in a little light from eating right, the weight classes are 6 pounds apart (He is a middle weight class). It would have been a 10 pound cut to get down 2 weight classes. Iíve seen it over and over again with some of these kids. You really think that some of these kids arenít cutting that kind of weight? And the answer to your question, NONE of them have that kind extra weight to cut.
Old 03-21-18, 09:54 PM
Freshman

ShafferDad is on a distinguished road
My son missed weight and it was my fault. He is not a cutter and was 1pound under Friday after eating. He tech falled a kid in the blood round and we walked out and I told him it is a 2chance weigh out. 7th grade first time there. He was 105.3 after breakfast 2 sandwichís 3 apples and 2 gatorades during the day. I assumed he was under as he always is. OAC treated him like a piece of garbage because his dad told him step on letís see. 100% my fault but they acted like he was a big cutter and told me pick a better class next time. .3 and out and 30 min to 2PM. I told the guy it was a honest mistake. Let him go pee. They compared it to OHSAA. Problem is there were no coaches telling the kids the procedure just Dads with no experience. We were told they made an announcement but we were in the staging area. Overall a poorly run event with poor customer treatment. Wish OHSAA would take over so it is not a money grab for the family. Treat wrestlers with some respect and donít assume every kid has been there each year. Glad next year is our last year with these clowns
Old 03-21-18, 09:55 PM
Freshman

4 scales there all 4 with different weights.
Old 03-21-18, 11:14 PM
All World

Take this as constructive criticism Shaffer dad. I am “just a dad” too by the way but both my son’s team coaches ran into major problems in the morning so I ended up having to coach all 4 kids from our team by myself and find out about weigh outs for them.

1. You knew he was .3 over after breakfast and still ate 2 sandwiches, 3 apples, and 2 gatorades? You know the 2 Gatorades themselves are about 3 pounds right?
2. They had 2 check scales in the warm up room all weekend. He/you could have checked his weight multiple times Sunday to see where he was at.
3. I missed the announcement as well as I was running like a chicken with my head cut off so I ran out there and asked the officials running the weigh ins about the way it was being ran. They did tell me a “2 chance rule” but that was 2 chances on their scales and you couldn’t leave to go “cut/pee/etc” once in the line.
4. Since I got the information I told all 4 of my boys to make sure they were under on the check scales (both of them) in the warm up room and then go pee before going to the official scales. I then ran back to coach and left it up to them.

They all 4 made weight.

I 100% disagree with the timing of OAC weight outs, but to be honest it’s not their fault when someone missed weight.

Ask the questions before hand, weigh ins there was no leaving the weigh in area once the kid walked back, you had to assume the weigh outs would be the same?

Again, don’t take offense, just take this as constructive criticism since you should have asked questions if you didn’t know. I did and my boys I was coaching said many other dads/coaches were asking questions to the officials running it.
Old 03-21-18, 11:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShafferDad View Post
4 scales there all 4 with different weights.
None of the 4 scales (2 check and 2 official) were more than 0.2 off of each other. The check scales were actually heavier, so if you were on/under on the check scales you were fine for the official ones.
Old 03-22-18, 09:48 AM
Freshman

Jmog, my post clearly stated it was my fault. 1 check scale showed my .4 kid over, one showed him on weight. One scale in weigh out showed .6 over the second .3 over. So your last comment is BS. I That is insane to have 4 scales within 15 feet of each other all with different weights.

Your numbered questions are not valid
1. Drinking fluids get your kidneys working and yes 16 oz is a pound but when you are hydrated you pee. He was never over in the AM or after breakfast so I don’t understand your other speculations.
2.good job asking the OAC about the procedure. Wish I did.

Your constructive criticisms should be on your reading comprehension. I placed blame on myself. The weigh out process is garbage and the OAC treaties their customers like crap.

Love people that misread and come up with dumb assumptions.
Old 03-22-18, 10:00 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I That is insane to have 4 scales within 15 feet of each other all with different weights.
This is not uncommon at all, it's just the way scales are. It is actually the reason you are allowed to challenge on other scales in high school.
Old 03-22-18, 10:47 AM
All World

Quote:
Jmog, my post clearly stated it was my fault. 1 check scale showed my .4 kid over, one showed him on weight. One scale in weigh out showed .6 over the second .3 over. So your last comment is BS. I That is insane to have 4 scales within 15 feet of each other all with different weights.

Your numbered questions are not valid
1. Drinking fluids get your kidneys working and yes 16 oz is a pound but when you are hydrated you pee. He was never over in the AM or after breakfast so I don’t understand your other speculations.
2.good job asking the OAC about the procedure. Wish I did.

Your constructive criticisms should be on your reading comprehension. I placed blame on myself. The weigh out process is garbage and the OAC treaties their customers like crap.

Love people that misread and come up with dumb assumptions.
My reading comprehension is fine, maybe you should have placed proper commas in your sentence “He was 105.3 after breakfast 2 sandwiches 3 apples and 2 gatorades during the day.” Without proper commas it makes it sound like he was 105.3 after breakfast, not 105.3 at the end of all that.

2 of my 4 kids I was coaching were close so they stepped on all 4 scales and none were more than 0.2 off for them, not sure why yours was showing 0.6.

Also, both my kids said the official scale was lighter than the 2 check scales by 0.1-0.2, not heavier.

You say it was your fault but then spend the whole post (almost) dogging the OAC about the situation. That sounds more like “my fault but it’s really OAC’s fault”.

The only problem the OAC has was the timing of the whole thing. Running it that late in the tournament while consolations are still running is just plain stupid.

It wasn’t OAC’s fault that any kid missed weight.
Old 03-22-18, 11:13 AM
Freshman

heartsslayer2 is on a distinguished road
My son weighed out right before winning his blood round match. He checked his weight a few times during the morning. He got on both check scales twice before weighing out and they were both exactly the same for him. He passed weigh out with no issues, his scale was lighter by 1 or 2 tenths. Similar to how it was at grade school for us last year which prepared my son for this year I guess cuz he took care of that part himself. I'm not a fan of the current weigh out process, hopefully there are changes made before next year.
Old 03-22-18, 11:21 AM
Varsity

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
I should have known better that this conversation would deteriorate either off topic (weight cutting in general) or redirected toward insulting each others grammar, parenting, and or opinions.

To any kid/parent (coach) that missed weight, I feel terrible, but hopefully it's a teachable moment that will help them manage weigh outs better down the line in High School and College. It's a tough lesson to learn for sure.

To the OAC, since this weigh outs are a relatively new process, I hope they continue to gather feedback from their customers and make the necessary tweaks going forward to adjust the timing and communication around the weigh out process.
Old 03-22-18, 11:40 AM
All World

The main reason they have it so late in the weekend is so they don’t have to weigh out as many kids.

I know it would cut down on returning/paying parents but if they ran an extra round of consi’s day 1 and had weigh outs at end of day 1, it could be the best of both worlds.

But there is a reason most 2 day wrestling tournaments (not just OAC) limit the # of consi matches on day 1. The more kids eliminated the less paying parents show up for day 2.
Old 03-22-18, 12:47 PM
All District

Lost Octopus is on a distinguished road
It was a long day in general, looking forward to next year and a return to the normal schedule. Running a 32 man bracket (if you include consolations) in one day is a bit much.